Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

A question for any Klefki-havers, does Klefki learn baton pass?

Also, pro-tip for EV training a freshly caught Pokemon: use your vitamin EV items before you play the training games. The more EVs you have, the faster the games go, so having that initial ~100-200 EVs helps a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Is Skrelp findable with a Good Rod only? Or can I find them Surfing?

Also, Manectrinite is post-game only, AND also an X exclusive? :sigh:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Where's Aerodactyl at? I'm about to take on the Electric Gym and I could use someone with solid Rock moves to get me through it.

I meant to use my one PP Up I've stumbled upon on Tyrantrum's Ancient Power but I used it on Dragon Claw instead by accident. Ugh. Anywhere I can find PP Ups at this point in the game would be hugely appreciated. Why are these still so hard to come by?

In addition to what everyone else said, I'm not sure Aerodactyl will help you much for the Electric Gym, because Rock isn't super effective against Electric, Ground is. Also, because Aerodactyl is part Flying, he'll take super-effective damage. That being said, someone at the Fossil Lab will give you an Aerodactylite and that makes Aerodactyl into a powerful murder-machine otherwise.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The hardest thing by far is picking just six guys for your team.

With the new experience mechanics, I'm not even bothering. I have at least 20 guys that I've been rotating around and using. I've been usually slightly under-leveled or matching level with trainer Pokemon, but because the AI is dumb it's still pretty easy. Plus I keep one of my two starters around in my party so I always have an "oh poo poo" option if I need it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

What do the new Terrain moves do? I've never encountered them before.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

PonchAxis posted:

IMO without exp share I probably wouldn't be that into this game if I had to constantly grind each one of my pokemon. I'd probably only have 1 single team of pokemon instead of leveling up multiple teams and having different squads. Just keep changing your party around!

This method right here is how you make the game more challenging. People talk about being super over-leveled for the gym leaders and everything, but doing this, I've been consistently at or slightly under the expected level. Not only do I get to use a bunch of my favorites, but battles aren't a complete curb-stomp.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

I love how Luminose City is just so drat big it needed TWO Pokemon centers :allears:

There's actually three. :ssh:

e;f,b

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Reading some of the mechanics discovery thread over on smogon, and there's some interesting stuff being found out that I'm not sure has been brought up.

• Toxic is 100% accurate when used by a Poison type. (Including against Fly, Dig, etc)
  • Honedge's ghost typing allows it to switch against Magnet Pull. Ghost types in general are immune to all trapping, including ability traps and Fire Spin type attacks.
  • Oblivious blocks Taunt.
  • Infiltrator lets you hit behind substitutes.
  • Sleep counter no longer resets when you switch out.
  • Play Nice ignores Protect
  • Turn order is set before Mega-Evolution, meaning even if the Mega has a higher speed, it will still move based on the regular speed stat for that turn.
  • Egg moves can be passed down from both the mother and the father. For example, a female Aqua Jet Marill can breed with a male Belly Drum Poliwhirl and yield a :siren: Belly Drum Aqua Jet Marill :siren:

There's also some unconfirmed rumors that Focus Energy raises the crit ratio to a whopping 50%. This reportedly turns high-crit moves into 100% chance crit moves.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Was that rumor about crits only doing 150% damage instead of 200% debunked, or is it true? That'd be hella cool.

Smogon has that under its "Known Info" list, so I would say it's probably true. Also, from my own empirical evidence, that would match up with how much damage crits have been doing over normal attacks.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

All of you nerds are completely ignoring the True King of Fairy Types

Mr. Mime

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Where are the Leftovers found? I'm past the seventh gym and I still haven't found them.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I've not yet gotten the third badge yet, but am I the only one puzzled by the lack of decent electric types as of yet? Pikachu near the start, sure, and all the off-brand ones, but the best electric type I've thus seen is Emolga for crying out loud.

If you're playing Y, you can find Electrikes on route 10, though your mileage may vary on whether or not you would classify that as a "decent" electric type. I think you can catch Mareep on Route 12 before you beat the 3rd gym too.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

So many people are using the legendaries. I didn't realize so many goons are in fifth grade :colbert:

drat straight. I'll be impressed when you guys are winning with early-route box fodder like Dunsparce or Bibarel.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ChibiSoma posted:

Hey hey hey. Dunsparce is awesome. You take that back!

I agree. That's why I'm planning on her dealing the final blow to the Champion.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Well I finally beat the game. I'd post my E4 Team Picture but Game Sync doesn't want to cooperate right now. It was a lot of fun using ~18 Pokemon throughout the game, and even despite that, I was at a sufficient level that I could match the Elite 4. Now I've moved on to Friend Safari hunting. :pcgaming:

Speaking of, big thanks to Kenpachi's Friend Safari, where I found a Shiny Barbarcle! Not my favorite Pokemon, but she has a Jolly nature so I'm pretty much obligated to make a Shell Smash set for her and kick rear end online.

As far as Friend Safari goes, my FC is 4940-5681-2018, and I have Abra and Espurr. Not sure what else yet.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

So if you were to EV train a Mr.Mime, what would you want him to do? I know he's not a top tier pokemon or anything but I want to use one solely because he scares the poo poo out of my brother. That fucker got a shiny Victorebell so I want revenge :argh: I have no idea what to have him do though. Just build him to be tanky so he can throw up reflect/light screen in double battles?

EDIT: Also if I don't add you and you asked, it's because I'm getting a lot of requests so I might miss one or two.

Maximize HP first, then probably Speed. His support movepool should cover the rest, between the two screens and substitute/baton pass. Encore and Taunt are also great options to help you set up.

Speaking of Mr. Mime, I thought a neat idea for a possible Mega form would be him having an ability that automatically sets up Reflect and Light Screen when you activate his Mega Stone. Kind of like auto-weather.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Can you use Sketch to learn new attacks in online battles? And on a related note, does anyone have a Pokemon that knows Wish that I can use as Sketch bait?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Awesome! posted:

So if two pokemon in the daycare don't like each other very much will I not get any eggs?

Not particularly, it just means they'll make eggs slower. At least, IIRC. I haven't been big into breeding since Gen 2, but that was the case back then. As long as they are in the same egg groups, it doesn't matter what the guy says.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Why would anyone want Magician as an ability? It's pretty much worthless, considering the only way it can be useful is if you forgo your own item to steal your opponent's. And even then, you can't guarantee the item will be useful to you. You could very easily accidentally swipe a Choice Band as a Delphox and now you're stuck in a choice item that doesn't even boost your preferred attack. At least with Blaze you can hit things harder when you're at low health, which is always useful.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Enzer posted:

But can you steal megastones off opponents? I can see that being mildly useful to prevent some of the more absurd ones from triggering.

You cannot steal megastones. Megastones can't be messed with at all, by knock-off, trick, anything.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Is it possible to find Gligar in a horde? Or in a Friend Safari? Because I really want a Poison Heal Gliscor, but Serebii seems to suggest they can't be found in the Friend Safari, and I can't seem to find any information on horde battle availability.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Champeenship posted:

Gligar are actually horde-exclusive on Route 19. In fact, I'm fighting one right now, in fact.

Oh, that's fantastic news. Thanks. :)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't know if anyone's been keeping track, but I can state for the record that Phantump does NOT learn Baton Pass (or Amnesia) as egg moves. I was really hoping I could finally have an Ingrain passer that isn't Smeargle.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Did a quick couple egg move experiments, Skiddo, Flabebe, and Furfrou do not learn Baton Pass either. I'm going to check pretty much every Kalos Pokemon for it, so give me any suggestions for other moves or combinations to check along the way.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

If you're going to be move testing, try seeing if anything strange can learn Sticky Web. At this point pretty much ANY pokemon beyond Ariados/Galv/Smeargle being able to learn it would be a godsend.

I know Shuckle can learn it naturally too, but sure, I'll look around.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Venonat, Durant, and Illumise cannot learn Sticky Web by breeding. Adding that to what users on Smogon have eliminated, and there aren't many possibilities left. Unless there is some wild card Pokemon in Smeargle's egg group that could somehow learn it, we're stuck with Galvantula, Ariados, Smeargle, and Shuckle. Which might not be a bad thing considering how game-changing this move could be.

Rhonne posted:

Does Chesnaught ever learn any fighting moves? I'm nearing the 8th gym and the only fighting ability he's learned so far is Bulk Up.

He can learn Low Sweep by TM which I think is available to you by that point, and also you can learn Hammer Arm from the move reminder for a Heart Scale.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pinsir can't learn Sticky Web either, which narrows it down to Heracross, Ledyba, Yanma, Gligar, Masquerain, and Ninjask as Pokemon that I have not seen tested yet. I really doubt any of them will get it.

On the Baton Pass side of things, Chespin can't get it, and neither can Espurr. Seriously now, why the hell can't Espurr get Baton Pass? :argh:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I found a shiny Pumpkaboo tonight, which is great because I think it syncs well with my other shiny, Barbaracle. The Battle Maison won't know what hit it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So, Defog eliminates entry hazards, Light Screen/Reflect, and lowers the opponent's evasion by one stage. Is there anything else it gets rid of? It's not like haze and it gets rid of Substitutes and Stat Boosts, right?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

No.

Also, in regards to your super training guide, it might be good to suggest using vitamins like Protein and Carbos before you start training, just to give your Pokemon some EVs to start with and make the minigames go faster. And you can also mention that the EXP Share can be turned off and on at will.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Looking for anecdotes, has anyone else found their first ever shiny in the Friend Safari? It seems like there is a much higher shiny encounter rate there than anywhere else.

I've gotten both a shiny Barbaracle and a shiny Pumpkaboo from the Friend Safari, so I think it's possible.

Shiny Pumpkaboo looks so cute too, I can't get over it :kimchi:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ugh, Encore's an alright idea but I will never ever run High Jump Kick again. Not enough reward with my garbage luck. Unburdened with a Flying Gem and Acrobatics and Power-Up Punch sounds fun.

Maybe something like

Acrobatics
Power-Up Punch
Encore
Rock Slide/Stone Edge

The speed boost makes PuP really tempting.

If you're worried about accuracy, just run Brick Break. It's unfortunate, but Power up Punch really isn't that great of an option with its low base power, especially when Hawlucha has such a better means of boosting (swords dance). You want your fighting STAB to have at least a decent BP. Hi-Jump Kick really is the best option though, 90% accuracy isn't too horrible, and its incredible 130 base power more than makes up for it. Just watch out for ghosts.

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 22, 2013

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm at my wit's end trying to find an Immunity Gligar on Route 19. I use up my Honeys, run away from all the Weepinbell Hordes, and use Dragalage's Toxic and Poison Point to test all the Gligar that do show up. No Immunity Gligar yet, and for some reason Route 19 suddenly has rain, which means I can't use Honey. I'm wondering at this point if using Honey to call a horde means you can't get a Hidden Ability in the horde, or if the odds are just low and I'm unlucky.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

nerdbot posted:

So Unburden would definitely be the best way to go with Hawlucha then? That was definitely the most burning question I had. I love Mold Breaker but it looks like Hawlucha doesn't really have the tools to make good use of it. He definitely has the tools to make hella good use of Unburden though. I guess that's what I'll stick with!

Flying Gem + Acrobatics + Unburden is really the way to go on Hawlucha. You could consider putting Swords Dance on him, if you find yourself with the time to set it up, especially to cover up your weaker Attack IV. Normally I would say Hi-Jump-Kick is the best option, but this IS the Battle Maison we're talking about, so it will probably cheat a lot and make you miss.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Annath posted:

Those ghost trees are kickin' rad, and remind me of Stubsuck/GhosTree/Facetree from Dragon Warrior Monsters, so are they any good? Like, at all?

They actually are pretty good. Will-o-Wisp makes up for his relatively low defense, and he can keep healing himself with Horn Leech off of a 120 base attack. Plus, he has interesting healing options between Rest + Natural Cure, or Sitrus Berry + Harvest.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The amount of restrictions on what Pokemon learn what because of certain game's tutors or events or whatever is getting pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Take for example, the move Defog. In this newest gen, Defog got buffed to remove all entry hazards and screens from both sides of the field. Being an HM in Gen IV, a lot of Pokemon learn it, many of whom would benefit from having it in their support move arsenals. Hilariously, most of them can't learn these moves as egg moves, which leads to a much more limited distribution. Note that some of the Pokemon who learn it from breeding can only get it from one of their own species who learned it in Gen IV. But others can't learn it that way. :psyduck:

It's the same with Stealth Rock too. A ton of Pokemon who learn it via tutor in Gen V can't get it any other way. So we have these game changing moves that only a few Pokemon can learn until we get Pokemon Bank, when we'll have a flurry of Pokemon suddenly using them. This leads to a bunch of dumb legality issues with not being able to have certain moves with certain abilities or moves. I don't think they made these restrictions for balance reasons. They just didn't think about giving some Pokemon access to certain moves in one game, but not in another.

An even bigger head-scratcher is that Ghastly can have Sludge Wave from the Dream World in Gen V. Ghastly cannot learn Sludge Wave from TM in Gen VI though.

I just wish they would be consistent with what moves a Pokemon can get in each gen, because these limitations are frustrating and unnecessary.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

yaoi prophet posted:

I remember seeing someone in this thread say that a special attacker technically wants 0 attack IVs. Why is that?

Minimize confusion self-damage and Foul Play. That's pretty much it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Has it been tested whether the appropriate rock (Damp, Heat, etc.) affect Ability Generated Weather or not?

Yes, and it does.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I posted this in the trading thread but I might have better luck here, would anyone be willing to trade their Pinsirite for my Heracrossite? This X/Y Mega Stone exclusive thing is dumb, and I just want to play with Mega Pinsir.

4940-5681-2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

For those of you worried about Talonflame, just use any Pokemon with good defense that isn't weak to his STABs, or pretty much any Rock-type ever. Gale Force is a good ability, but Talonflame gets pretty much no coverage moves whatsoever.

• Locked thread