Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
It's been a long time since I've played an Ace Attorney game (I never got around to playing AAI, so my last one was Apollo Justice). I'm looking forward to getting back on the horse.

Does anybody know if Maya is going to start existing again in this one? I know it's probably kind of weird but the way she completely vanished into the ether in AJ was probably the thing that bothered me most about that game. I don't mind that they're swapping in new sidekick characters, but barely acknowledging her existence felt like a really conspicuous omission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I still don't see the purchase button. Why are you all lying to me :(

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

You know I'm not an expert on psychology but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like this.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

So I'm on the first trial day of the second case and I think I lost the script on one of the plot beats.

I've just established that the real killer killed Alderman, knocked out Tenma, left the room, locked the door, and then crawled into the air vent to toss the key back inside the room. But the thing I'm lost on-- and I suspect I might have just spaced out and got the sequence of events mixed up-- is how the hell did Jinxie find the crime scene if the door was locked?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Astro Nut posted:

As they point out, she has the key for that room specifically. The key tossed back inside was the Alderman's master key.

Ah, all right. I knew I had missed something :downs:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

You know, the stepladder jokes are what stands out in everybody's minds but I think presenting the attorney's badge is my favorite running gag.

e: And I like how Apollo calls you out for senselessly presenting every single piece of evidence to every single NPC no matter how irrelevant because video games.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 25, 2013

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I just noticed that during Blackquill's "pound the desk and laugh" animation, Taka seems to be snickering along. I love this bird :allears:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

MAJOR CASE 3 SPOILER: Well, okay, now that I think about it I can forgive the whole "Robin's a chick" thing. I admit the whole "swinging between hypermasculine and hyperfeminine" thing does actually happen IRL to a degree - obviously Robin having to hide her gender all the time would have been stressful on her, and she's gonna take the chance to go hyperfeminine while still being used to acting hypermasculine. She'll level out with time, but still...that stage is always insanely loving annoying.

I do like that she doesn't look so anxious and worried anymore though. :unsmith: Maybe I'm just hypersensitive to these things. Maybe.

Man everybody's talking about these giant case 3 spoilers.

I actually kind of liked Robin's character. I definitely see how it reads to people as a weird gender essentialism thing, but I interpreted it more charitably as a case of someone who's got a conflicted gender identity and doesn't know how to reconcile it. When she's posing as a boy, she feels that she has to silence her inner femininity, which is why she has those conflicted feelings of shame and fear and joy and excitement during the Mood Matrix sequence, but once she's outed she swings hard the other way because acting like an over-the-top girly girl is the only way she knows to express her repressed femininity. Neither the shouty shonen protagonist nor the twirly, vaguely coquettish valley girl are the 'real' Robin, but her gender insecurities mean those are the only tools she has for self-expression until she can find a way to craft her own identity. It's all rendered in over-the-top anime stereotypes, but I think the underlying character dynamic is surprisingly sympathetic and relatable especially considering the spotty track record these kinds of games have with gender issues.

I'm also not sure whether to read her as a ciswoman whose parents insisted on raising her as a boy for what seems to be an utterly baffling non-reason like the game implies or as a transwoman, which would seem to a better fit for her backstory and actions. I know she has a line about being a girl in body and spirit or whatever, but I'm not convinced that should be taken at face value and even though the game probably intends the former interpretation authorial intent doesn't necessarily matter here.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 26, 2013

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, disregarding the spoilerchat stuff for a moment case 3's finale is fantastic. I probably spent a good five minutes laughing once Prof. Means pulled his hair into a mohawk :allears:

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 26, 2013

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Luckily there is never a penalty for failure in these, so just point out every emotion in every statement when you get stuck! :pseudo:

Really, though, even when the game is giving out penalties for failure there's never really any penalty for failure because letting your life bar empty just means you get a free refill and go back maybe ten text boxes max. Honestly I kind of have to wonder why they bothered keeping the whole penalty system around at all.

It's nice not having to save scum when you're floundering about trying to figure out how the game wants you to answer, though.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Hortism posted:

Just finished case 3, and loving the game so far, but I've got some weird problem that it doesn't seem anyone else seems to be having, at least from what I can see from going through the thread avoiding black bars.

A lot of the evidence I can check in the Court Records just won't have any text on them when examined for closer details. Like the Autopsy Report and stuff. It'll appear at certain times when I check it, but randomly goes missing, following no particular pattern. Only noticed it in this case, but coulda been around before that.

Anyone else run into that?

I've noticed the same thing happening in the text log. It seems to start happening once the game's been running for a while-- I tried turning my 3DS off and on at one point and when I started the game back up the text that had been missing from the log reappeared.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Not really a spoiler, but I'll tag it anyway. Case 4, Investigation 1: Hey, Psyche-Locks! I've missed those little guys.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

No, the Japanese script has the game taking place in Japan.

I like to imagine somebody on the localization team playing through one of these games for the first time, reaching a case like the second one in this game, and thinking "oh goddammit."

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Case 5, Investigation Day 1: "Wright... Please stop presenting random evidence just to see how that person will react." Edgeworth is the best :allears:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I'm pretty sure I'm reaching the climax of case five and holy poo poo, if the culprit is who I think it is... :aaaaa:

e: Just got the psych report. gently caress, I think I'm right.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 28, 2013

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Case 5: I was right! gently caress, this is the most :psypop: twist since 2-4.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

Case 5: I was right! gently caress, this is the most :psypop: twist since 2-4.

Oh good lord that wasn't even the real twist.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

So, finished the game:

I think I have to agree with people that taking down the phantom wasn't as rewarding as it could have been. I was hoping he would turn into kind of a sinister version of 'In justice we trust!" Fulbright or something but all he really had was the spytech gimmick, which more than a bit bland. Still, the Aunt Jebedissa string of masks was pretty funny and the moment when you realize Fulbright was the culprit is mind-blowing on the level of the Matt Engarde reveal in 2-4 so it was still a pretty awesome finale on the whole.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

yup. It's funny how this case takes cues from all three GBA final cases: You get the legal time limit and suspicions of patricide over a friend (or matricide here) from 1-4, the hostage situation from 2-4, and a prosecutor doing something wrong to protect a kid, like in 3-5.

The identity of the real culprit also kind of feels like it's coming from a similar place to the Matt Engarde twist in 2-4.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Oh, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

tiistai posted:

I can begrudgingly accept "another thing coming" if it's used alone, but "if you think x, you've got another thing coming" just makes absolutely no semantic sense to me. It's no better than "I could care less".

I think it makes sense semantically. "If you think X" is basically being used to mean "if you expect/believe X," so "you've got another thing coming" means the reality is going to be something different from what you expect or believe it to be.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Here's a contradiction that I spotted that I never got to object to (major case 5 spoilers). Ponco claims after Athena 'hugged' Metis, she 'fell down', but Ponco could still detect Metis' heartbeat afterwards, yet the autopsy reports states that Metis was stabbed through the heart and died instantly. It was never added to the testimony though so I couldn't find a way to object to it.

I picked up on that too, but I think it's just a case of unclear wording or possibly an odd translation issue. Ponco shuts down the same instant Metis's heart would have stopped beating if Ponco had really seen her die, which is why it's not a contradiction; as I recall Phoenix actually has a line there where he basically says "if Ponco had stayed active for just another second we would be able to tell if she really saw the moment of death or not."

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

DLC Aura case Capcom, do it do it do it.

Hmm. Bring back the jury system from the end of AJ again, and then the case is about making an argument for jury nullification? I'm pretty sure that wouldn't make any sense within the confines of AA's game system, though.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Snix posted:

Holy poo poo! No! No no no no no! I refuse. There's NO way! Woah! Holy poo poo! (Major case 5, no gently caress it, major game spoilers) BOBBY loving FULLBRIGHT IS THE PHANTOM!? HE SABOTAGED THE HAT1 LAUNCH, KILLED ATHENA'S MOTHER, SENT BLACKQUILL TO PRISON, AND KILLED CLAY TERAN!? Well, that tops it. I'm done. There can never be another twist as big as that. No way. Nuh-uh.

Lots of people dislike Justice For All, and with-- in retrospect-- good reason, but it was actually my first Phoenix Wright so it has something of a special place in my heart, because even if it's not the best Ace Attorney it still showed me what makes these games compelling. I still remember playing through those cases for the first time and having the "Eureka!" moment where everything came together and the case finally clicked, and even if the story is ultimately linear and railroads you to an inevitable conclusion just as much as any detective novel having to present evidence and piece things together along the way makes that moment where you solve the mystery absolutely sublime in a way few other things are. And then when Matt Engarde flips his hair up in 2-4 and pulls everything into a complete 180 it's just such a great moment and masterful twist that it cemented the entire case as my favorite from any of the games.

And that's why this game's finale is one of my favorites in the series, because as much as the final confrontation isn't what it could have been that moment where you first realize who the true culprit is throws you for a loop in an incredible way that creates the exact same kind of feeling you get in 2-4. I know I'm probably just revealing a bias towards Shymalayan-style twists here, and ultimately there are only so many ways to do "the culprit is somebody you never would have even considered a suspect!" without making it feel like you're ticking off a check box, but I've got a real fondness for having my assumptions messed with like that.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

CandyCrazy posted:

I thought that was stupidly comical, because he took off the bandages on his arms. You know, the ones that should have been covering actual injuries.

My favorite bit is that flowing shonen head-scarf bandaged Apollo overrides whatever costume you have set for him, so in my game he took off the bandages covering his actual wounds and then immediately changed into his street clothes in the middle of the courtroom.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Random thought I just had about the first case (with some mild spoilers for later in the game):

In retrospect, it's a little odd that Athena has that breakdown in the beginning of the first case when, chronologically speaking, she's already won a more difficult trial against a more competent prosecutor and should at least have the confidence not to get walked all over by a chump like Payne. Of course, it makes sense for her character arc in the order the cases are presented to us, and I don't even think there's anything wrong with a storytelling decision that prioritizes the emotional arc the viewer experiences over the logistics of the story's actual chronology, but it reminds me a bit of the similar weirdness Trials & Tribulations had with its timeskips (i.e. how Mia gets her lawyering tutorial during her second case). I have to wonder if they couldn't find a better way to approach these things without that conflict between the emotional storytelling logic and the in-universe logic the next time they want to hop around in the timeline, though.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'd say that the "sidekick culprit" trick was already done in 4-1. That wasn't a finale, but it was a finale villain.

For next time I'm kindof hoping they go with making it a witness, but a witness who you cross-examine early and then dismiss.

But that's what they did in this game :v:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I just finished Layton vs. Wright. Game's great and I can't get over how much I love all of the music.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

It's very much a Professor Layton ending, not a Phoenix Wright ending. After so many Layton games, I've learned to just roll with the plot holes and explanations that don't actually make sense.
Yeah, this is 100% a Layton game that Phoenix just kind of accidentally wandered into (I mean Darklaw even says as much). I only played the first two Layton games on the DS but they play out exactly the way this one does: Layton finds himself in a strange, secluded village full of puzzle fetishists that conceals a dark secret, which is inevitably revealed to be a bunch of ridiculous, insane nonsense during a giant slow plot-dump at the end. I like the ending as a Layton ending, because I'm kind of into the absurdly complex and incredibly stupid twists that characterize Layton games and I mostly felt like the character beats worked in the context of all that bullshit. It's true that the game doesn't have a strong villain, and that would be a disappointment in an AA game, but that's really not something Layton does and I appreciate the "nobody is the bad guy" approach on its own merits.

Even though it's more a Layton game than an AA game, I think Layton v. Wright really does right by its AA half. They introduce some really awesome, creative new mechanics (I love using the magic system as evidence in court, and the multiple witness thing is really cool), and the actual cross-examinations are straightforward enough that things rarely feel unfair but still manage to feel rewarding because of how many steps are involved in unraveling them. I really like how the last case's cross-examinations force you to pry apart the testimony and find multiple angles of attack to progress, especially during the Vigilante sections where you're dealing with a downright comical number of witnesses.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 10, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Dunban posted:

To me it felt more like a Layton game where Nick and Maya were guest starring, in terms of the story and setting, but gameplay-wise you'll get about 50% Layton and 50% Ace Attorney.

It starts off fairly even and gets more Layton towards the end, especially narratively. The AA parts are some good AA, though, and if you're willing to accept the Layton mode of storytelling it's a pretty fun story. That said you'll probably be let down by the resolution if you're expecting an AA-style climax.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, Layton knowing everything and leading Phoenix by the nose was super annoying.

On the other hand, the contrast between Layton's ten-steps-ahead hypercompetence and Phoenix make-it-up-as-I-go-along underdog persistence is one of my favorite bits of characterization.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

It's also one of the most obnoxious parts of that trial because Layton pretty much takes it over by that point and completely one ups Phoenix at every point. They are never equals, Phoenix is just some idiot who accidentally walked into this. Which might have ended up being the case when it was all said and done, but that's still a pretty lovely way to treat your character, Takumi.

The thing is, that's exactly how the characters are characterized in their own games: Layton is an unflappable badass in the Holmes vein, who's always ten steps ahead of everyone else, always has the answer to every puzzle, and always goes into the final act already knowing or suspecting the big reveal, the antagonist's motivation and/or true identity, and even the ironic twist in the antagonist's backstory they don't even know about themselves. And if that's not enough, he's also an expert fencer with a vast pool of knowledge that always conveniently includes exactly the thing he needs to know about right now. Does that sound like a total Gary Stu? Well, yeah, it probably does. But I'm willing to roll with it for the same reason I'm generally willing to roll with Holmes.

Phoenix, on the other hand, is decidedly not that. He's a perpetual underdog: always down on his luck, always getting poo poo on by the world, always having his confidence undermined and only winning by the skin of his teeth. Except for his brief stint as a hobo puppetmaster in Apollo, which he got away with by not being the protagonist, Wright is never prepared and never ahead of the game, because that's central to the arc of any AA case. Wright spends so much time chasing contradictions because AA games are about unraveling a mystery by piecing together clues in a way Layton games are not: Wright, and by extension the player, doesn't have the full story, and until the very end we don't have the information we need to piece that story together, so we have to pick at every little lie and slowly reveal the truth. But that's not just a gameplay thing, it's a big part of Phoenix's characterization (think about how he's constantly getting picked on by prosecutors, witnesses, the judge, and even his assistants in all of his own games), and the difference between these characters and their approach to problem-solving is exactly what Layton vs. Wright is playing on in its last case.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 11, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Majorian posted:

Really? The whole "Nine-Tails Vale" section of "Dual Destinies" seemed pretty Japanese-y. I haven't played any of the other games though.

To wit: The AA games were originally set in Japan, but when Capcom localized the first game, they decided to change the setting to America instead. They've stuck with this translation decision through the entire series even though it's only gotten progressively more absurd, to the point where it's become something of a running gag. I like to think the Japanese writers deliberately throw in stuff like Nine-Tails Vale to gently caress with the localization team.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 12, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

In Layton VS Phoenix, what's the answer to this music puzzle in the Storyteller's Tower? I don't really get it.

Watch the top screen.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

It does not. However it is a fantastic case and you should play it right now.

The extra DD case is one of the best DLCs I've played; it's a solid standalone case, it fits well with the main story and feels neither mandatory nor unnecessary, and they give you plenty of new characters and animations and even animated cutscenes on par with the main game's most lavish cases. Most DLC feels at least a little bit like they're cutting corners but there's no sign of that in DD's. If you like AA you should definitely play it.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

psychoJ posted:

If this isn't an actual thing in AA6, then I'm quitting video games forever.

Chief of Police Gumshoe, of course, still subsists entirely on instant ramen.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Terper posted:

Man, this lawyer game is awesome as long as it's not about practicing law

To be fair, nothing you do in any Ace Attorney bears any but the most superficial similarities to practicing law.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Jazama posted:

From everything that he has done, you would think that White is a major villain, yet he went down in the second case. Is he ever mentioned after this case?

He's probably alluded to every now and then but not really, no, he's pretty much gone for good. That was always one of the weirdest things about AA1 and really the whole series to me; you'd think the guy who killed Phoenix's mentor would be an important character with some kind of long-term relevance but, no, he's just a one-and-done villain of the week.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

ayn rand hand job posted:

Sounds like Layton vs Ace Attorney would be perfect though.

If the loop-around-quadruple-twist-so-you-can-have-a-happy-ending thing bothers you I'm pretty sure Layton vs. Ace Attorney isn't the game for you.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

When I was young I spent almost an hour in the parking lot because I didn't notice you could pan the camera over

I forget which case it was but in one of the last cases of either AA1 or AA2 I spent a long time totally stuck investigating everything in one room over and over (I think it was that parking lot) because I had been everywhere and I couldn't imagine where else the next thing I needed to look at would be. It turned out I had missed a sheet of paper lying under Edgeworth's desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

At least the villain we did get was great. Or at least I thought so. Especially because it made me hate their guts for killing a character we never actually meet.

Oh man, how hosed would it be if instead of Fulbright, the Phantom had been impersonating Nick the entire time instead? Of course, they'd never kill off Wright. I hope.

Wasn't Fulbright the real Fulbright in all his appearances before the final case?

• Locked thread