Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I recently decided to putMatt and Liam's archive stream of Sonic Mania on in the background while doing some work and ended up getting pretty frustrated by it. Part of that's on me because I love Sonic Mania and I just wanted a stream jerking it off like I would, but part of it is just a big ole trip down memory lane into why I'm glad Liam's not a part of the channel anymore. He always struck me as the younger brother who was always less funny and always more insecure and desperate to fit in, and so came off as more fake than anyone else, and I got a bunch of that here.

I'll say this though - he got way better as the video went on while Matt just checked the gently caress out about halfway through. Like I realize now that was actually what annoyed me the most about this thing; the dude acted like a curmudgeonly black hole of fun for 2+ hours rather than just saying "You know what, this isn't working for me. I gotta peace-out dude" and just let Liam enjoy the game on it's own merits. I find it so weird that Matt's enthusiasm for stuff he helps create can wax and wane so drastically - I'm loving The Bug Report and his other channel stuff, but he's almost always such a chore on the podcast (that time where he sulked after Austin Creed called him out for telling a long story that went nowhere sticks out) and when he does stuff like this in-between vacations and is only really enjoyable in 3-person videos I just wonder what's going on. Hopefully the Dead Space series will bring me back around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Well the other thing I had with Liam was that I had virtually no overlap with his interests so I ended up skipping all "his" LPs, including Dangan Ronpa and Command Mission. Mania was the first of his videos I was interested in watching since Castlevania, which I think Matt was also the colour guy on. I can't remember how well they worked together there either.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I'll enjoy anything that William's in but holy moly I'm with Matt and Pat; Koei are they making it a hard sell with those furry characters.

Pat's right, the mechanics do look fun though!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

DBZ Abridged really got me to like Tien. Team4Star obviously enjoy the character quite a bit more than Toriyama does and it shows.

That said that was a really enjoyable video from Plague. I'd love him a Super Eyepatch Wolf to just sit down and do a big DBZ series of vids on their thoughts about Super and everything else. I love Super Eyepatch Wolf but even speaking as an Irishman his voice does put me to sleep a little. The companionship of someone as dry and sharp as Plague would be a treat.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Every single character in Catherine is loving horrible and if you're honestly trying to judge someone's real-life relationships by their attachment to the story in that game (or any) then you're being a smelly butt face.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Ha! Did you do that yourself?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Pat and Paige are finally cracking open Sonic Mania on stream tonight.

I've actually been looking forward to this for a while, they both had a blast playing the original Sonics and I really, really enjoyed how rewarding Mania was.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Skelmo is just loving killing me, oh my God

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

That was pretty fun!

Also, Paige picked up a stand?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

That's SUPER best friend cast! At GEE mail dot com!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Someone's got to be keeping track of all these Matt vacations and I want to see the graph he comes out with.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

the getting up LP is maybe the most unwatchable thing they have ever put up on the channel

I skipped Getting Up because I have no connection to that game and if I'm going to watch a game from the ugly era I at least want to feel something when I watch it, but I recently decided to give it a couple of episodes and yeah, I'm tapping out too.

I'm not a fan of the Cryme Tyme stuff either so maybe it's just Matt and Woolie being mock-street that doesn't do it for me. I was gasping for LA Noire to be done and over with too and if people are saying they aren't even halfway through the game that's pretty disappointing.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

TWD from Season 2 on made the massive mistake of trying to be more like the TV show, which is a show filled to the brim with hard-to-like characters and endless melodrama and sure enough that's what season 2 was.

I tapped out of season 3 after the fourth or fifth time everyone gets taken hostage. The one with the cake lady. It was just so massively rote and uninteresting.

For what it's worth the humour was part of what I loved in season 1 and the writing felt much, much lazier without it. Also I really enjoyed being Kenny's pal in my play through.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Wiseblood posted:

I swear someone at Netflix made this trailer specifically for Matt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIY6zFL95hE

I'm so down

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Grouchio posted:

They're making an anime all about CANADA this Winter (!!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a822uufNGlw

Haha they got the Toronto sign in there? This seriously looks like a Canadian travel ad for Japanese people.

Which presumably is why Vancouver and Toromto feature zero visible Asians apart from the dude.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

People aren't joking about Omikron nearly killing the channel, by the way. That's not hyperbole. That was the period when Matt took a hiatus from the channel, and Liam flat-out left (which if you're me was a very good thing), leaving Woolie and Pat to Kyle Rayner the Zaibatsu for a while.

They recovered, but there was a real fear they were going to Game Grumps the whole thing among some of us. The scars are still there.

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 25, 2017

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Which is good because they're like 40% of podcasts these days!

I still love you Matt!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I'm one of the guys who's legitimately happy he's gone. I'll never call him a jerk or anything though! Just didn't like his style or interests. Never got swept up into his pace.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

quote:

Whoa this is big time

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Barent posted:

Why wasn't Pat on the podcast?

He’s taken the Fan-Insert Character (aka Fuggins) to Japan because he said he’d never been. Also he later invited Paige too if she wanted.

If you get close to Pat he apparently just turns into this Saudi Prince and thinks nothing of spending huge amounts of cash on you.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'd love to see them play all of IMSCARED

Did you see how long it took them to figure out the game of tag?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

And the Matt Misses A Podcast Because He’s On Another Vacation counter ticks up to 14 for 2017.

Which is fine by me, because this leaves my favourite pairing to run the cast when both are really jet lagged and really hyped.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I'm the guy who's super glad Liam isn't there anymore. I even gave his Sonic Forces stream a look and was just staggered at how much I disagreed with nearly everything he said. I dunno, I guess I'm in the minority in that.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Now that Liam's been gone for a while it's clear they benefited from having someone around with different interests who challenged their opinions and was enthusiastic about new stuff, or at the very least, could pass the bare minimum competency when it comes to, like, pressing buttons and retaining information. The increasing amount of videos with them playing games they don't like, aren't paying attention to and don't understand is embarrassing and I wish they'd come up with something new to renew their enthusiasm or just quit already.

Like Dangan Ronpa and Mega Man: Command Mission?

Could not disagree with you more.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Keep Liam sedated in a damp cupboard somewhere until an interesting 2D platformer comes out, then force him to sit by as Pat plays it.

While whining about how much better Rocket Knight was.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I’m staggered that this is something that needs to be said aloud.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Depths posted:

pats arms being too short to complete an escape room puzzle is one of the most pat things

Having recently set-up an escape room in our office that’s just a failure on the organizer.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Brutakas posted:

I waited until I had finished the Evil Within 2 before starting to watch the LP.

The decision making on display is both highly entertaining and completely baffling.

How so?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Watching Pat legitimately having a moment remembering his eight years - repeat: EIGHT years - working retail while playing Destiny 2 reminded me of why this is my favourite group of low-rent web peeps.

Anyone who hasn’t sat behind that register and eaten that big poo poo sandwich every single day for a living, a living designed with no way for you to get out of it, just can’t relate.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

You know, Sonic the Comic had going Super Sonic be a total personality change for Sonic that turned him completely psychotic and unable to distinguish friend from foe. It’s literally what thought the character was supposed to be for years.

So I guess what I’m saying is Trump may already have all the Chaos Emeralds.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

She tweeted that the video got hit with so many id claims it was blocked in "230 countries."

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I am Woolie’s flat-out lack of interest for the last 30 minutes of the PSX stream (which is now up at Pat Stares At!)

Also Woolie has lost SO much weight. Good for him!

Also seeing Pat and Paige continuing to be exactly the weird lovable couple they are in private with Woolie there looking at them like a couple of weirdos is so adorable.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

18 episodes into the KOTOR LP and they’re still on the first planet. This game is going to be the first to pop 100 episodes.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

real life my dude

Also this is a beaut. Good for them both!

Does Stefanie have her own channel or anything like Paige does or appear a lot on Wooli Versus like Crymetina? I remember her being the first Zaibatsu girlfriend to appear way back in the Japan video and that’s still the last place I can remember seeing her.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I’m screaming at my TV during that geography lesson. Without Pat Matt knew where ONE country in Europe was.

Edit: He got Poland too.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Well they sure as gently caress did better on Geography than I would've.

Do Americans just see a map of somewhere else and then sit there angrily honking and slapping themselves in the face or something?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I guess Liam had a tough year? He’s thanking everyone for sticking by him on his twitter feed and literally listing like 2 dozen people ... although people are noticing Pat’s name isn’t on there.

Which is fine. I never got the impression they got on at all and I doubt either would ever go out of their way for the other.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

hoobajoo posted:

That seems a little harsh; you make it sound like the two almost resent each other. I mean, it's obvious Liam didn't connect with Pat as much as Matt or Woolie but I'm sure they wish each other well.

Yeah that came off as a little harsh. That’s probably just my ole New Year’s Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey talkin’. I’m sure there’s nothing there.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I mean, for anyone who hasn’t actually played KOTOR there is SO much more game for them to do.

Like I’m not following this because I got all the KOTOR I needed out of my system back in the day, but when I checked back in on like episode 21 and saw they were STILL on Taris my first thought was “If they don’t start with massive editing soon this LP is going to be 100+ episodes easy.”

There is SO much game in KOTOR and giving episodes to Pazaak and menus is going to turn this into the never ending story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I've no idea why he'd be against the idea. It makes much more sense than some of the LPs they've come out with.