Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Does anyone know off the top of their head which of the BG2 fixpack fixes causes items to have the wrong description text in BG1EE? Before I go uninstalling them one by one to figure it out.

...why would you use the BG2 fixpack in BG1EE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

If the book Abdel was Good, I'm a porcupine. And drat straight he was stupid. Dude hosed Bodhi.

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Oh my god these sound like the best books to hate-read. Even the story in that giant published BG-1 guide was better than that.

Actually I really liked that story, though I haven't read it in easily a decade.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

On the other hand, sneaking and backstabbing is fun (to me at least). And quite frankly, isn't that what's most important?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Thaddius the Large posted:

I just assumed this was one of the mods in action, making every character bisexual without changing the script seems exactly like what a bad modder would come up with.

Ftfy. Also that's exactly what the tweak pack does.

Hah, I remember the prima guidebook when this game came out actually had a little tip box! Saying that if you wanted a same-sex relationship in BG you could switch your sex with that cursed girdle. Quite progressive for the early 2000s, really.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

I've not finished it (only recently started ToB) but so far it sure beats out the canon romances at least. No healing the poor, wounded woman (or Anomen) in sight, yet. Vague ToB spoilers: Apparently the ending is somewhat big or controversial or something? Never seen details, but it having large threads on official forums (get my bugfixes there) and general murmurs seem to indicate it, so it might go great/poo poo at that point I guess.

Pretty sure that's just more fanboys being homophobic and racist though, to be entirely honest.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

ImpulseDrive posted:

Any good tutorials on making kits? I'd like to merge the wild mage stuff with the sorcerer class for a BGEE+BG2EE run.

I also wonder if a Winston the Bhaarspawn run is possible.

I know that sorcerer was hardcoded in the regular BG2, and IIRC modded kits break BG:EE since 1.2.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Stumiester posted:

Is there anyway to teleport to a world map location without going through an edge of map transition? I ask because BG2:EE has failed me at the last gasp - trying to leave Amkethran to Abazigal's Lair or Sendai's Enclave causes an instant crash.

Use the console?

e: f;b

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I think the easiest solution here is probably just to do whichever you enjoy more. I enjoy the whole "spell defense/stripping" game you have to play, so I like SCS. For those who don't, uh, don't use the mod? It's pretty optional.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

UberJumper posted:

Thank you for the explanation.

I was looking to play a good themed character, honestly i am looking for some thing melee, that i can also use some form of spells. I do not understand all the nuances of the game and its systems, but i enjoy the game.

Paladin might fit you then. Simplest option is a fighter/mage dual though. Kensai/Mage is nooooot a good first build for a new player. I'd wait till you have the magic system down pat (which you will after a playthrough or two).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

In fairness the only time you'd really want to use the slayer is when you're doing the pocket plane challenges in ToB. And even then only if you don't have a +4 (or is it +5?).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Foolie posted:

It might just be the number of times I've played through, but it seems pretty easy to tweak some of those things using ShadowKeeper/eeKeeper. For the last run I just used this to put together a multiclass Kensai/mage. Abusive, but for run 4, a drat fun approach.

Nearinfinity would be required for that kinda work I think, but the last time I took any serious look at modding BG (either of them) was before EE came out and I've no idea if it's still compatible. Though I believe it still uses a Chiten.key file so it should be...

I'll check tomorrow and report back.

E: also Khalid definitely has a lower morale score/modifier/whatever the term is. He's explicitly designed to frighten more easily, though admittedly not too too much more than everyone else.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

bunnielab posted:

How do I edit the properties of items, specifically aliment restrictions? I am running an evil party through BG2 and want to have more items available to me.

Download Nearinfinity and point it to your Chiten.key file. Then just find the relevant item code in either the items or override folder and go to whatever the second tab on the right side of the screen is called. It's been a few years since I've used it so again, can't recall the exact name, but that's where you'll be doing the vast majority of your item editing. You can also edit or add properties and spell effects down at the bottom of that second tab as well, just remember to set the targeting types accordingly.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

bunnielab posted:

Cool, I will give it a shot. What are the chances it will ruin my game/save if I cock it up? Mostly pissed that I spend 32k on a stupid axe that Korgan can't use.

EDit: That was easy. The modded .itm file in in my \override folder but the changes are not showing up when I load my game. Any ideas here?

Well, make sure you have the proper item first of all. Change the item code and then CLUA Console it in. Secondly, when you say that the changes aren't showing up do you mean the item description? Because the description is unrelated to the actual effects, you need to edit the Dialog.tlk pointer for that. Either by expanding it and pointing it to a new description or just editing the description and not changing the pointer. It should be relatively self explanatory I believe.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

bunnielab posted:

Ah, the CLUA Console bit was what I was missing. The item code is AX1H10, what do I need to do to spawn it? I somehow assumed I could apply the edit to the copy of the item already in my inventory.

Uh, should just be CLUAConsole:CreateItem("AX1H10"). Mind you, if you modify the .itm file then it should automatically apply to the item in your inventory, regardless of whether or not you created a new version of it. Check in your override folder to make sure nothing is, uh, overriding it?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Verr posted:

Man, I played these games as a kid, and I could never figure out how to succeed. I would always load up my dad's saves and try to play from wherever he was, but inevitably died horribly. I remember accidentally wandering into Durlags, picking a fight with the Shadow Dragon, and getting ripped apart by the beholders in the sewers. The games was so pretty, complicated, and exciting, but I just didn't have the know-how to participate.

Now, years later with the EE addition, it is so satisfying going back and demolishing my childhood dream. Stomping around as a wild mage in BG1 was fun, but now I hit SoA, I'm just ridiculously powerful. gently caress you Bodhi, I ain't afraid of you. I hosed up an ancient red dragon JUST TO SEE IF I COULD, then killed his black cousin in two rounds to make a matching shirt. My paladin buddy kills elder beholders for fun with a sword that is one of the most powerful artifacts on the planet. You think I'm afraid of a tiny elven vampire with a mean older borther?

Just entered the Underdark, I'm psyched to stomp some drow. Gotta say, so far, I'm really digging the Keldorn/Jaheira/Imoen/Mazzy/Minsc lineup. Everybody is just having so much fun smiting villains and kicking evil in the backside. It's like a college roadtrip with monsters instead of beer.

While I'm not sure we really need spoilers on a game that's fifteen years old, if we are you maaaaay wanna spoiler Bodhi's race.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

why use EE-keeper when ctrl-8 is so much faster?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

John McCain posted:

Because you can only use ctrl+8 at the character creation screen. It's useless once you've started the game.

I thought they were talking about rolling in chargen?

But yeah I've no desire to get into a pedantic fight or nothing, though I do say ctrl-8 is faster than shadowkeeper (christ eekeeper is a bad name) in chargen but that's because I hate exiting and restarting games.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

MegaGatts posted:

(Then roll it over to 25 :v: )

Wait wait wait what? Is this actually possible?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Corvinus posted:

I think EE fixed the various rollover bugs, but I haven't personally checked if the stat one is still around.

I didn't even know you could rollover stats in Baldur's Gate and I've been playing it on and off since it released. Expand?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Well those are absolutely terrible stats, but heck you can make anything work.

Seriously those are horrible stats reroll a few times. you also don't need bow and missile weapons proficiency. choose one or the other, as they don't stack. I recommend going with specializations.

Still, the game's easy enough you can make anything work, especially with equipment so honestly do whatever you want!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Withdrawal Plans posted:

Well I was trying to make a character who could primarily use ranged attacks (bows) and also be able to cast some area effect spells early. Am I trying to do too much/spreading myself too thin?

Stats don't matter all that much, and that type of character is actually kinda perfect for BG1. Basically just go with the flow and do= what's fun. If I might make a recommendation, use sleep early and often. Direct Damage spells are fun as heck but you won't have very many of them at low levels.

For stats, if you're going to melee you want 18. Lower is possible but I wouldn't go below 16. however, again, it doesn't matter much since there are a few statboosters and various belts of giant strength.

Dexterity should be 18 if you're a missile user. I don't recall if the gloves of dexterity are in BGI, but either way it's worth it to have high dex. Constitution should be either 16 or 18. Intelligence can be 17, I don't recall if EE mechanics require casters to have high Int. Wisdom and Charisma can be whatever, I don't like reducing them below ten for RPing purposes but you need a dumb stat somewhere.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Aww, you edited the stats out.

It was like 13 in strength, 16 dex, 16 int, 11 everywhere else.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Woffle posted:

At the risk of shamelessly self promoting, I started a blog about Infinity Engine games, starting with Baldur's Gate. http://duckfeed.tv/infinityengineers/pouroneout This is the latest entry, talking about Beregost and Alignment.

This is actually quite interesting. Post here when you update next! I'll check it out at any rate, less there's a way to subscribe easily.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Wilde Jagd posted:

I have a pretty weird bug in my game - parts of Haer'Dalis's dialogue have replaced weapon descriptions!

There's a bug in your dialog.tlk

What mods have you installed?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Wilde Jagd posted:

I'm using Isra NPC, Weimer's item upgrades, and the BG2 TweakPack. I'm pretty sure it might be a BG2 tweakpack issue though.

With BGEE then it's almost certainly a problem with the tweakpack. I don't recall offhand which of the options bugs out on BG:EE I'm afraid. Uninstall, verify and reinstall the lot of them and make sure to avoid the broken one. Your saves should still work, and more importantly, your dialog.tlk will be fixed. A bug there can completely wreck your game, and you're pretty lucky it's only hit the item descriptions so far.

Wolfsheim posted:

It probably helps that the backgrounds in Icewind Dale look so drat good too, especially compared to all the generic grassland you tromp through for about 90% of early BG1.

To be fair it's really pretty generic grassland.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Wilde Jagd posted:

Actually, I reinstalled and everything works fine (so far). I think something borked during installation.

Fair enough. The verification was just to make sure in case the backups failed.

Skippy McPants posted:

But still, grass land. No doubt that BG 1 had way too much open space. It was kinda cool that the entire world was more or less contiguous, but a lot of those maps had maybe one of things do and that was it.

Oh I agree. BGII's maps were much better in that regard. But it still stands up to the test of time in a way not much else does.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I've actually never played Icewind Dale, though I have played and modded BG I and II to hell and back. What do I need to know before I start, and any particular party suggestions?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

MegaGatts posted:

Far less caster supremacy. Grand mastery on weapons is extremely good so a pure class fighter is a pretty good choice. Druids rule, tons of good spells. Bards are great too. Really, necro's party looks pretty solid. At least 2 tanks, at least one divine caster at least one arcane caster, and at least one rogue. I played through about 3 months ago with a fighter, fighter cleric, fighter thief, mage, druid, and a bard. Have at least one of your fighters spec in long swords. There are tons of good ones.

Got it. And for the sequel?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Woffle posted:

More blog and this time I take a look at the Dungeons and Dragons movie as well as Baldur's Gate. http://duckfeed.tv/infinityengineers/baldurs-gate-shadow-of-whatever-boing

god that was such an awful movie

Really enjoying these btw!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Well, I finally managed to beat Sarevok. I had to drop the difficulty down from Normal to Easy to do so, but the loading screen messages advise you to adjust the difficulty if you're having trouble with a fight, so technically it's not cheating.
:thumbsup:

Anyway, I've now started BG2. What I want to ask is if the fights/encounters in BG2 are easier or harder than in BG1 (keep in mind that I've been playing BG1 via the Trilogy mod). On top of that, who should I have in my party?

Easier if you're remotely good with mages, harder to impossible if you don't. Learn to love spell protections and stripping spell protections basically.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Factor_VIII posted:

BG2 has no need for mages if you have an Inquisitor. I finished the game with a party that had no mages and simply relied on Keldorn equipped with Carsomyr to take care of spellcasters.

You can beat the game with a single fighter if you want, but that doesn't mean it's not inefficient.

I mean the game's easy enough even on insane you don't need to worry about it overmuch but I'd really recommend bringing a mage to strip protections.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Callick posted:

Holy gently caress BG2 throws so much poo poo at you out of the gate. I feel so pressured from all these people telling me to do poo poo and I accept the quest and then when I do something else they get all pissy and urge me to do it immediately and I'm just like CHILL OUT :mad:

Hexxat kept threatening to leave the party like every time I rest not 5 minutes after I got her so I decided to relent and go check out the graveyard dungeon and it's so loving hard and annoying, gently caress those level draining shitheads it's so expensive to restore my levels and I'm trying to save 20k to pay that dude to rescue Imoen and aghhhhhhhh

It's worth noting there's absolutely no time limit on rescuing Imoen (thank God) so you can safely put that off until you do all the sidequests you want to do.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I wish I could just replace my 5 teammates with beholders.

Irenicus: Your pathetic magicks are worthle.. oh poo poo..

Angry Lobster posted:

Beholders are awesome, I wish we could have one as a party member/summonable, especially the one in the sahuagin city, a pretty chill dude.

Ctrl-q all day every day.

...I think I'm gonna do a run with the bhaalspawn as a beholder now. It's gonna be amazing.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hrm, yeah, 9 makes sense.

What do I have to worry about carrying over from BG 1 to BG 2? Do I need to specialize Jaheira and Minsc now for them to use endgame weapons in BG 2 or does she "reset" ? Is there a list somewhere of specific items I should be collecting to prepare for the transfer?

Everyone and everything is completely reset in between games. If you import you get one of a list of underwhelming magical items that, while useful, are pretty irrelevant. Whenever I replay the series I mostly just forgo the import and recreate my character in shadowkeeper.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, I've run into some kind of strange bug trying to import my character from BG 1 to BG 2.

I beat Sarevok, it created the "final save," I copied the file directory over to BG 2, tried to "import" it using the "import" button, and got this error message:

"We were unable to load the content for unknown. If you have not purchased it yet, please do so from the store."

Then it cancelled me out. As far as I can tell there's nothing for me to purchase in the store. I have the full extended editons purchased through Steam with all the included addons, bought it all like a week and a half ago? No mods or other addons besides the official. What's going on here and is there any workaround?

Make a new character and shadowkeeper your stats/items is probably the best bet really. Importing a character is notoriously glitchy.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

Everard's sling from Joluv in the Copper Coronet also fires unlimited bullets that strike as +5 (without quite as much damage, sadly). Assuming you have the EE or collector's edition, of course.

Kenny Logins posted:

Everard's sling from Joluv in the Copper Coronet also fires unlimited bullets that strike as +5 (without quite as much damage, sadly). Assuming you have the EE or collector's edition, of course.

Even if you don't you can just CLUA them in.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Haven't played EE in forever, what's the red diamond do?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

bunnielab posted:

I use that program....who's name I can't remember, to remove the alignment restrictions on his poo poo for exactly that reason.

Dunno if it works for EE but NearInfinity is super easy to use and make modifications with.

Like seriously Baldur's Gate is incredibly easy to mod so long as you aren't inserting spell graphics and poo poo. Just about everything you can do with everything else is cleanly and clearly labelled and it;s all very self explanatory.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I should point out that I'm playing the original version from GOG, and not the Enhanced Edition. I also should note that up to this point, I've played the game using BGT, so the progress I've made also includes finishing BG1. If I restart, I was just going to install BG2. As far as mods go, I thought about installing the Tweakpack to get things like the Bags of Holding and various convenience tweaks, but I wanted to know if it causes any issues, or has any components that make the game harder.

No and no. It's compatible with everything and you basically determine the balance (some optional changes skew towards making the game easier).

quote:

Last thing I'll ask about is if there's a way I can get back some of the BG1 carryover items back. Mostly I just want to keep the Golden Pantaloons. Will I need one of the programs that have been brought up in the thread, like Shadow Keeper?

Just CLUA CONSOLE it in.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

The larger plot, no. But I really like the little bits of IWD2 where if you're (say) a drow, or a paladin, it affects the type of dialogue and rewards you can access.

Whereas in BG1/2, as you note, they don't engage with race/class/gender at all, except for in 2 with the class-based strongholds (which had varying degrees of success).

I remember finally unlocking the stronghold for the paladin as a kid and being super disappointed with the fact it was one lame tiny-rear end room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Ascension really does need to update already though :argh: