Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

The PS3 is starting to show some age. I think I bought it Christmas 2007. We plan on playing these games for awhile. We haven't bought a game for this (not counting Rocksmith which is hardly a game) for at least 2.5 years, and that was a used greatest hits.

What does this even mean? It has dust on it? Financials aside, there are a ton of great games available for the PS3, and the PS4 has nothing right now. I'd much rather have a dozen PS3 games than a PS4 and whatever you got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Anyway it's just an idea, she's really tired of her job and she is beating herself up over working there for so long with so little advancement. She's been itching to switch jobs since we got together 4 years ago.

Has she tried working for a competitor? With the amount of experience she has she should be able to get something somewhere. Also, any boss who says they don't believe in raises is in fact a lovely person.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Traded in both cars for a new corolla. Down to one car for the foreseeable future. Interest 10.99% (other car was 18%, truck was 10.95%). Our net worth is roughly the same but we're not bleeding so much interest (still too much but see below).

Going down to one car (even an expensive new one) is going to free up over $100 in monthly payments, and probably around $150 a month on gasoline since the car sips gas. A new place will also save us $865 a month in rent.

Why did you get a new car? Why not a used one that was cheaper? Wasn't that the original plan? Also, please don't tell me that the car actually cost (down payment + 8 months * $3k) to buy for a Corolla.

Would it be cheaper/easier to just break your lease and pay the fee since the rent is half of what you're currently paying? It would also be easier since your wife could then walk to work sooner.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

We couldn't get out from under the loans on a cheaper car. We were aiming for a (used) $9k Corolla, or $6k PT Cruiser originally but the numbers weren't working. It just turned out the cars were worth less than I thought (we were there for 8 hours negotiating so I did everything I could to get as much money as possible). Admittedly they both were a bit beat up just from when we bough them (both foolishly).

Breaking the lease would cost around $3,400 IIRC. I agree it would be nicer for my wife, and myself because I have no vehicle at the moment, but I don't think it makes much sense? If you guys see it though let me know.

Why not just keep your wife's car and use it then? I don't remember if there was some issue with it. If the only difference was the APR, that's not going to matter if you can pay off the loan in under a year.

As for the lease, that sounds really high compared to the monthly rent. I thought the usual for breaking a lease was forfeiting the deposit. You might want to double-check that.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Sounds like my experience with lease breaking is different than the norm. It might be because I only ever dealt with small time landlords, not rental property companies.

Knyteguy posted:

Truck I wanted to get out of ASAP because it was starting to have some problems (burning/leaking oil mostly, some not insignificant minor problems as well). We didn't stay in the Fusion because we weren't planning to pay it off so soon. The 8% interest saved was supposed to really help us get out from under the loans over time.

I don't get this though. There's almost no way you aren't paying a lot more money by buying a new car vs keeping the old one even at a lower interest rate. What's past is past, but it doesn't sound like you're better off for having traded in the car vs. just keeping it. I mean maybe your payments would have been a bit higher, but you also would have had it paid off sooner.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

I will however likely sell my other two guns (9mm handgun, AR-15 I don't want), my electronic drum set, my extra dobsonian telescope, a really nice weight set we might be able to make money off of since we got a floor model on clearance, possibly our spare TV, and a few more things like car stereo parts I took out when we sold the truck. I'm also trying to get rid of the PS4 but GameStop quoted me like $240.00 and I think we can do better than that. Really it's just the not spending the cash from all of that stuff that I hope I can manage (I can).

Will you even have room for all of that stuff in your new place anyway? Also why do you own two dobsonians? They're kind of...big.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Droo posted:

I was trying to get you to realize why everyone is saying you are delusional. Honestly, no one reading this thread understands why you can't see it the same way we all do.

As far as your hypothetical early retired couple:

* Health insurance and out of pocket costs for a family of 3 will easily be $500 per month
* I have found that my expenses go up when I'm not working because you have 50 extra hours in the week to do stuff
* 4% isn't really considered to be "ALMOST BULLETPROOF BUT OBVIOUSLY NOT ENTIRELY LOL". 4% is considered too high for a 50 year draw

Also I don't think his savings goal of $560,000 is inflation adjusted. At 4% withdrawal, that's $1866 a month. Even assuming a very low average inflation rate of 2%, that $1866 will be worth less than $1500 in 10 years. You might be able to live, but you won't be doing anything at all ever.

I don't think the attacks on his wife are warranted at all though. She seems to be the sane spender in the relationship.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

For example I wanted a PS4 -really- bad this past weekend because the new Destiny bundle is coming out and it's probably going to be game of the year type material. Gamestop is even running a "turn in your PS3 for $150.00 credit towards a new PS4!". However I could not find a way to make it work without blowing nearly our entire September blow budget, even after contacting some people on Craigslist for used versions, so I didn't do it. I kept thinking "every dollar helps my family right now".

This is still loving weird. You just sold your PS4 two months ago. Like yeah you didn't end up getting it, but only after figuring out there was no possible way to do it within budget. Which is good, but read what you wrote not long ago:

quote:

We have been sacrificing our long term happiness for short term pleasures. 100%. No the restaurants didn't give us any net pleasure, because it just made us fatter. The weight set and the guns were all mistakes, and so was the PS4.

And now you want to pick one up again in a couple of months because it's a good idea now? You still have a child coming.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Yes. Here's our October budget that's a month ahead.

What comprises your $900 of planned expenses for October?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

* Only exception here is beer. I like beer, and I try to drink cheap beer.

For your own health, maybe stop drinking beer for a while, Mr. Button Popper. It's honestly one of the worst things for you from a calorie/overall health standpoint.

Inept fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 26, 2014

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

I'm not very impressed with their online CC account system. I feel like they're trying to trick me to pay interest at least once through screwing up.

They are. I had a crappy credit card a couple of years ago that wouldn't let you set up autopay online, you had to mail a request in. This was of course designed to generate fees when people forgot to pay.

In a year or so, get a different credit card. That one sounds like rear end.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Don't have a truck, exactly how do you expect me to haul a lawn mower of all things? My stepdad was just complaining about carting a lawn mower to his kid. Also the link I posted said it all, and I explained why the lawn needed to be taken care of very quickly (it's the perfect time to winterize a lawn). I grew up in a family who always had the most well kept yard on the block, so yes it's something I care about.

I agree that hauling around a mower is dumb, but I can see your caring about having a well kept yard getting out of hand, especially regarding watering it. Not only are lawns in places like Reno dumb, they're expensive and bad for the environment. If you plan on watering it any more than what it takes to keep alive and true to your rental agreement (i.e. you want it to be a nice lush green), then that money should come out of your personal fun money, because you don't actually need to do it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

I think she likes programming so far

I liked programming as a CS student, but got really tired of it when it was time for me to do an internship and I was programming 25 hours a week. Most any new skill set you learn can be interesting for a little while, but that fades. Just be ready for it to possibly get dull/tedious/terrible for her.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

stress about potentially leaving work, etc. That on top of 13+ hour shifts is making caffeine a big help to get through the day awake right now.

Holy poo poo your "nice" boss is using you. I know you'll say it's temporary or whatever, but you've said yourself you can make more money elsewhere, and 13 hour shifts doing developer work should get you paid a lot of money just about anywhere aside from video games. Increasing your income is probably the single biggest thing you can do right now. Hell, if you get a big enough pay bump, your wife might not actually have to work (at least as much) after all.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Veskit posted:

How about you learn to stop spending money instead.

Well ideally he should do both. He's significantly underpaid.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

The next thing I need to do really is to cut out beer. That just sucks because I like beer. Either that or start burning an extra 500+ calories a day on top of sticking to a meal plan. Or perhaps limiting the days that I do drink beer to maybe only Friday or Saturday.

If you're drinking over 500 calories a day of beer, that's really unhealthy. That's like 3-4 beers every day. Definitely cut your drinking down for your health and your money.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Busy day I'll try to address the rest of the points soon.

Spending is OK-to-good. I'm a little worried though, because we went out to dinner with my uncle and aunt on Wednesday, we're going out to dinner with more of the extended family tonight, and my wife's friend is having her birthday party at a nice Greek restaurant tomorrow. Not sure how it'll all fit into the budget yet.

Don't go to the dinners, or use your discretionary to cover it if you'll go over budget. Going out to eat and later saying whoops is a pattern that you have had in the past with other things.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

lord1234 posted:

Do not, NOT, NOTTTTTTT do the "no car with baby". Ambulance rides are way more expensive and add up as opposed to keeping your car(or selling it and buying something cheap).

He could probably take a taxi if his baby is sick. If it's so urgent that calling and waiting for a taxi is not fast enough, you should probably call the ambulance anyway.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

But... but I already had my car picked out and everything.

Droo it's pretty rare I work a shift like that though. 99% of the time I'm out at 5:00pm.

I guess the main thing I like is I have a ginormous office and desk to myself and really all the freedom I could want. And once every 3-5 weeks my boss goes to his day job down in Texas so I get the whole building to myself for a week. And a remote day every Thursday. And trust that I can handle projects with little-to-no oversight.

I don't think that's worth $600 net of course. As an alternative I've been contemplating picking up a remote only 20 hrs/wk development job to do after work.

You know you can apply for jobs and then ask about their perks in the interviews and then decide if it's worth switching. It really doesn't hurt to apply. Like it takes 20 minutes per application if your resume/cover letter are up to date.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Inept yep it's just the interview process kind of sucks. Developer interviews can and do take over an hour. I think that's the main thing holding me back.

I agree that interviews suck. But it's 1-2 uncomfortable hours for a potentially better job in terms of both pay and work environment/fringe benefits. Believe me, I know. I stayed at a mediocre job much longer than I should have because I was comfortable in my routine. I got a much better job 2 years ago though and wish I had tried harder sooner.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Regarding the job: well my boss did say if I get an offer to come to them and they'll try to match it. The IT guy at the Texas company did that and he's still there. But yes I'll try to negotiate first I think that's a good idea.

All this means is that your boss knows you're underpaid but won't do anything about it unless you're about to leave. I think you underestimate how much you're being used. You should be 99% prepared to leave when you get a new offer, and not just hope for a raise from your current employer unless the compensation increase is insane.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Of course. I read the entire lease line-by-line (I'll never make that mistake again). The lease break fee is contractually "until we rent it out again" which was what I meant by no set amount.

Hahaha how is that even legal? What incentive would they have to quickly get the house rented out again if you're obligated to pay for as long as its vacant?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I think level, industry, and pay grade come into play here. I have actually used things like this as negotiation points (both sides) very successfully. Pay stubs are common proof of employment, and if I am going to pay someone more than industry or market value (we are talking A Player here), I sure want documentation that they have been at a certain level and are worth going above market for.

That's stupid. If you want them and they want a certain salary to work for you, why should anything else matter?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

^^ Thanks everyone I'm sure my wife will respond.

Quick side note on the job interview that I'm doing tomorrow: recruiter said to keep a number in mind that I would take, add $10,000 to that, and he'll finish the negotiations for me.

I was thinking of $95,000 I would take, making that $105,000. Any input on that? I figure I can make up any difference in that $75/hr billable time if I got the offer.

Edit: the recruiter reconfirmed the suit (and tie). Luckily it's all tailored up and ready to go. It's not the greatest suit in the world, but if it gets me through this interview who cares?

http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/reno-nv/san-diego-ca/60000

A random COL calculator that says that you'd need to make about $96,000 in San Diego to break even with your current salary. So you'd be earning a bit more. But your wife wouldn't have a job. And your taxes would be higher. And you'd be far from immediate family.

You have to ignore the straight dollar figure and realize that in real terms, you'd only be making a bit more than you do now. Would you move if San Diego had the same cost of living as Reno, but the pay bump would be from $60k to $65k, and your wife would have no job? Because that's basically what this is. And your taxes will be higher, so it might not even be a pay bump at all in real terms!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

How are you accounting for the likely fact that you won't make much/any more than you do now after accounting for cost of living and increased taxes?

I'm guessing your answer is "work more". Be careful, you may not always be able to. They just might straight up run out of work for you, or you may realize that they want too much work for the increased pay.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

We could look at nearly doubling our income here over some time.

I'm not sure why, but you seem to keep ignoring it when everyone tells you San Diego costs about 1.5x as much. You won't be making much more at all. A bit less actually if your wife doesn't have a job.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

I don't believe this is what I said.

How can you not be fit enough to ride a bike faster than 3 miles an hour? That's literally a walking pace, and not a fast one.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

I don't believe I'm making excuses.

Time yourself on your bike. I refuse to believe it actually takes you an hour. Fat old drunks ride twice that fast.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Grouco posted:

Are you a man or a boy? What sort of example will you set for your son?

Do you have any strong male figures in your life? You need to take control of your destiny. Not to get all cinematic, but think about what men, fathers, had to go through years ago attempting to provide for their loved ones without all the quote-unquote advances of modern society.

...Wake the gently caress up, "man."

I think you have some weird machismo issues

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

If the boss is honest, they'll say something like "we pay you what we think you're worth."

More accurately "we pay you what we think we can get away with", at least in KG's case. Knowing peer salaries might not always give you a leg up, but they might let you know when you're being lied to.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

What the hell happened at the end of the Employee Assistance Program section?

Otherwise, congrats!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

There's some big recurring stuff that comes up often (a second car); with that said we still don't have a second car. I believe that's evidence that my impulsive tendencies aren't this force I can't say no too

Knyteguy posted:

So thanks for talking me out of a second car. It's unneeded.

So what changed since August 18?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

This is a lot of words to say "I'm doing nothing". Get therapy sooner rather than later. You seem aimless and a bit lost. Therapy can help with that. Quit putting it off along with everything else that has been recommended.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

If by September 20th I have no confidence in finding something remotely or local any longer, then I will start to expand my job search to the Seattle area. Since December 8th there have been exactly 2 posts in the software section of Craigslist here in Reno, and a little over 200 in Seattle also since December 8th.

Craigslist is terrible for jobs. Use Indeed or some other job search engine.

Any reason you can't start applying for jobs that really interest you right away? Not saying you have to go all out, just check every other day and if anything interesting comes up, apply to it. Nothing says you have to wait until you get your raise to look elsewhere.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Secondly and the point where I could really use some input is regarding the bonus. My boss said I'll be taken care of in March. I would absolutely hate to miss out on a very nice bonus by leaving too soon, but there's no guarantee that a bonus would be very nice. What I'm thinking is that I could catch the bonus (apply it to debt), and then begin the process of moving jobs.

If he hasn't given you a ballpark other than "bonus!" along with all of the other poo poo your boss has pulled, I'd say there's a good chance it will be under 1k. If you find a job that pays you 10k a year more in February, you're still ahead. That's why I said you don't need to go all out applying, but if something sounds like a good improvement, don't waste more of your life at your dead end job.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

I'm trying not to obsess here, because I know I have a tendency to do that. I'm simply trying to figure out if it's worth the time to even interview.

For all you know they'll let you work from home 2-3 days a week. Just go in with an open mind and not too much analysis for the first round.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

There were a couple of red flags during the interview though. I was asked my age, and if I had a family and kids. I'm aware that those are illegal interview questions, and I was pretty surprised. I'll have to let him know that those were illegal questions if I get the position.

They're not illegal, but they are evidence of an employer having a motive to do illegal things when hiring. I'd say that's a definite red flag. If he's been in business for any length of time and has a good number of employees, he should know that asking those questions is a really bad idea.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Normally, you can't ask for more than what you already mentioned earlier without sounding like an idiot, so don't do that in the future. That said, this guy seems like a pretty poo poo boss, so ask for unlimited Red Bulls or something while you're at it.

Inept fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 19, 2016

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Now I bet you feel silly, you weren't even able to make the long list of bad hires he's had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

I have 4 children, two of whom are 6 months old. I know they get sick. But you burn PTO or FMLA to take care of them.

That's what sick time is for unless you work for Mr. Spreadsheet of Lazy Employees.

• Locked thread