Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Noir89 posted:

Hmm sure is not having much luck with coal on my starter planet, lets jump to my only neighbor, a desert planet! Oh cool a volcanic mini-bio... Gee thanks for that game. :v:. Very tempted to mod my MM right the gently caress now.

My recommendation is to build an axe and chop down trees. 10 wood pieces is a coal if you put it in the furnace,and you can get a lot of pieces of wood from just one tree. Its (solid) black gold, growing right up into the sky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The thing is, once you get out of the initial sector, coal will be so plentiful, and you will have so many trees around that you'll have plenty of fuel. Also keep in mind that the fuel cost is much less for traveling within a star system. It only costs 200 fuel once you move out of the system. So what you can do is find a star system that has a bunch of forest planets and you should be good.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Purple Prince posted:

I don't think this is true. I hardly got any coal in Beta Sector, and barring Jungle planets the tree count is about the same.

Everything people can give, aside from using coordinates, is based on not only what planets they randomly went to but where they decided to dig and explore. What I'm saying was my experience and its more of general suggestion rather than saying its always like this. Basically - early on use trees and pick star systems with lots of jungle planets. This will help quite a bit in avoiding fuel troubles.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

boo_radley posted:

I kind of like the chucklefish moderator's "NO" macro:

That mod is your very own Braww.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There are just a lot of people on the official forum. The official forum does have a lot of nice people and people making some really cool things, but with that many people you are always going to get some absolutely terrible people as well.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowabanga posted:

But that's exactly what I do. I never play solo.

Stop playing with people who do this, stop playing until the game is actually released, or just stop something I guess. They've already said they aren't nearly done with the game yet and each patch has added a ton of features. Sorry they aren't focusing on the one particular thing that bugs you, I guess.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bob NewSCART posted:

There is a fuckload of mods now. Could I get some recommendations? Also they fully work on mac right?

The most important mode is Chuckletidus. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/chuckletidus.374/

After that though..

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/fully-customizable-ship.39/ - Fully Customizable Ship (works on Multiplayer

Those are my two favorite mods. There is apparently a Space station 13 Chemistry mod that exists too, and I expect I'll be trying that soon.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
God drat the Blattra own. It'll be tough to choose between them or the Florans later on down the road..

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

On the one hand I appreciate that Chucklefish are trying to set reasonable, enforcable guidelines but on the other hand there's a reason why most big companies don't get involved with their modders - It's a surefire way to have your people/forum mods burn out from all the retardation they have to deal with.

In a sense, modders and the Nexus deserve each other.

One thing that made me happy is to see a lot of people on the official forums as well are open antagonistic of the modders rights thing. I don't think anyone wants a repeat of Skyrim/Minecraft modding, so I think anyone that causes drama will just be pushed aside by the community. This game is so modding friendly that anyone that tries to restrict their mod will probably just find that someone else will make an open alternative.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
By the way guys, I'd recommend checking out my most recent post in the Starbound IRC information thread in the PGS forum. Tell all your goon pals as well.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tiy responded

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1uz7ob/tshock_developers_threaten_legal_action_against/cen8rgo

Tiy posted:

I'm going to assume the tshock guys are reading this.
I don't think you're handling this the right way. At best you're attaching more drama to your project and yourselves, at worst you're misleading people.
Rather than denying association you need to be showing people that you're reasonable human beings that can be trusted. The way you're behaving isn't reasonable and doesn't inspire confidence.
You appear to be in the business of developing security tools and as such your credibility is of the highest importance, thus associating with people with a history of dishonesty was a poor move and something you need to show people you've learned from.
Finally some genuine advice. Whilst writing documents in a (spotty) legal format might seem like the right thing to do, you need to be very careful. The correct thing for me to do when receiving any kind of legal document is to forward it to my.. actual lawyers. Who are obligated to take it with the upmost seriousness.
Given that you appear to be a relatively young startup / collaborative project, coupled with the fact that this has clearly been written by someone with no legal knowledge I've chosen not to take this seriously. But you need to be more careful.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shima Honnou posted:

I like that this game is slowly becoming SS13 as goons mod it.

As it should be!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fargin Icehole posted:

Question is, do you have modder's rights to butt bots.

I'm waiting for him to force the download through an ad.fly link.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Yup, you guys are good, don't worry.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JohnnyCanuck posted:

MOD IDEA GO AHEAD AND STEAL:

Some meteor showers should be Giant Brain showers, to recreate the Brainspawn attacks from Futurama.

And if anyone dies during the attack, we can yell 'Stop exploding you cowards!'

Really, everything from Futurama would be pretty cool.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I, for one, am already looking for the next video game thing to be angry about don't worry.

On another note, its CM appreciation day. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/cm-appreciation-day.67095

Please don't shitpost in it, but I thought I'd share. Check out goonmod Braww's shrine lower on the page.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So, I've been exceedingly lazy about adding mods to my game for multiplayer. Which mods have you guys found work well on multiplayer?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going through some serious Starbound multiplayer withdrawal. My internet has been out for over a week...but maybe tonight. :smith:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not personally looking into the Felins mod, but another moderator has already reached out to them about it. We'll see what comes of it, but I can't imagine we are going to allow a prostitute NPC on one of the mods on the site. Don't worry guys, and if you see creepy stuff you can really just report it and we'll look into it. I promise!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mirthless posted:

It's been my experience with furries that they often don't really understand the limits of what is acceptable and have a really, really hard time not sharing things they shouldn't. Sometimes they also turn out to be pretty reasonable people and receptive to feedback. I hope you're able to sway him to remove the functionality from the mod, this guy is clearly really talented and it'd be a shame to have his work relegated to the same place the dragon dildo mods are stored at.

Also I kind of like the Felins mod on it's own merits, I always like having more race options. It'd be a shame to have it strapped onto a loving sex mod or something idiotic like we saw with Oblivion and Skyrim so often.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 26, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Iron Rose posted:

Please tell me this isn't a real thing.

Oh, you of little faith. I made them not embed, because, I don't want them to load unless you actually want to see it.

:nws:

youtube.com/watch?v=PH0hLJMnx7E

Bonus creepy mod:

youtube.com/watch?v=1l0NWp7FVYY

:nws:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I do hope we can get back to some Starbound related talk soon. Summary of the creepy mod stuff: Report it and let us handle it (and we really will handle this poo poo if its against the rules) and its all good.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, Enraged Koala has been released. No patch notes yet, unless someone else beats me to it I'll post a link to them when released.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

My locker and bed are still hosed on my ship.

Pick your bed up and put it back down, that should fix that.

Quote from Omni on the storage stuff though

OmnipotentEntity posted:

There's not going to be a way to recover containers lost in this fashion unfortunately. If you don't have backups, you can still player your character by allowing the game to regenerate your shipworld. But anything that was in your ship previously is lost.

What wound up happening is actually pretty drat stupid.

In order to update files more effectively and agilely we implemented the update routines in lua, so if something is flagged out of date the lua script to update from that version to current or a chain of such scripts are run.

We recently made a rather major object update to make all objects interactive and scriptable, which caused the "interactive" object type to be deprecated. A side effect that we didn't realize is that objects you sit on, such as beds and chairs, suddenly became non-interactive because there was not proper information regarding interactivity in these older objects. So we created a lua script to update all loungeable objects to set interactive to true.

However, in lua, lists and tables are not allowed to contain nil values. We have created a workaround for tables, but not yet for lists, because it just hadn't come up yet. So if you have a list in C++ that looks like {1, 2, nil, 3, 4, nil, nil, nil} and you pass it to lua it becomes {1, 2, nil, 3, 4} and if you iterate through it you only get 1, 2

So when we passed the contents of a container object through lua and back without touching it explicitly, it truncated the size of the object if the last position wasn't filled.

Because the object had a list that was too small it failed to initialize in the world. Because this isn't a fatal error, it just logged to the console and went on its merry way. And then saved the world on exit without the container in the world, thus erasing the container.

gently caress.

We've fixed and pushed in hotfix form the "can't initialize in the world if the list is too small" problem. And we're working on the lua list passing back and forth problem.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shnooks posted:

Is this the runtime error people were talking about after the update? What do I doooo. I just got home from a long day at work and I just wanted to relax and play. :cry:

Try updating the modinfo for Airstack manually or see if the author has updated it on the site. If neither of those work, remove that mod until its updated.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

teknologik posted:

I did see that, and I understand poo poo happens. When the game first launched we had character wipes every couple weeks, then they announced they implemented a system to prevent character wipes. I just wondered if they had announced they there would most likely be no planet wipes. I skimmed patch notes and didn't see anything.

At this point, they are going for no character and ship wipes. There will be planet wipes more than likely for a bit longer. Things do happen as the recent patch shows, since it did wipe out ships. I know Multiplay is doing Starbound servers. They are probably more pricy than most, but you do pay for what you get. They are likely a lot more stable than most player run servers. Out of curiousity, is this just for friends, for goons, or more of a public server? If its either of the latter two, let me know. I love to jump on different servers.

http://www.multiplaygameservers.com/game-servers/sb-starbound/?gclid=CJSUn5aH3LwCFeRi7AodPRoABg

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Has there been any word on when Combat Rebalance will be updated? I don't think I can play without it anymore... :(

I think Desideratus is having some PSU issues, so a few days. But there shouldn't be any major compatibility issues so you should be able to just edit the .modinfo file to update the version.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also - safari rules apply. Don't harass the dude or we'll have to ban you :(

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys - post about the long term plans for Starbound as far as gameplay goes.

http://playstarbound.com/23rd-february/

Tiy posted:

Hi guys,

So today we spent our Sunday having a long (5 hours!) design discussion in which we are pencilling in the finer details of the games progression.

As we said before, the current progression is entirely temporary, existing to provide temporary gameplay whilst we work on the engine. Today I want to share more with you about the games new structure and the beginning of the game.

First of all we’re removing the different universe sectors. In the final game there will be only three sectors. The sector the majority of the game takes place in, a pvp sector and a creative sector without dangers.

Instead of progressing through the game sector by sector, you’ll advance by upgrading your tech to allow you to visit planets that were otherwise inaccessible due to hazards. An example being a planet with no breathable air. Progression will be less linear and more akin to the kind of progression you find in modern metroidvanias.

We’re building the game with 3 main paths of progression that branch off later on. Farming, adventuring and building. We want players to be able to advance through the game whilst doing whatever they enjoy most.

At the beginning of the game (what would be the alpha sector in the current progression) you start on a ship with a broken fuel module, giving you access to only one planet. Through a series of quests you’re taught how to farm, find trophies in dungeons and build the beginnings of a settlement. Completing these quests will give you the pixels you need to use your ships 3d printer to produce a new fuel module. Which in turn allows progression to the other planets in your current solar system.

At this stage were introducing a new planet type called an outpost. A small and safe planet populated by members of every race. A safe haven for trade and quest taking. You’ll learn how to generate pixels through selling crops, taking quests, selling trophies found in dungeons and renting out houses in your settlement.

From here each of these roles will expand outwards as you progress (for example animal farming becomes an optional part of the farming progression).

More on that later

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Skellies are honestly one of the highest quality mods made for Starbound so far. :allears:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

Of all the ways they could have gone, I'm glad this is where they're taking the main game. Being able to expand not just combat but also farming/building is a great mechanic that I wish Terraria would have considered. The idea of quest hubs and "settled" outpost planets where you can just mingle, shop, and take quests really appeals to me.

Other than that, what catches my eye the most is the idea of dungeon "trophies". As a long-time video game hoarder, this is my jam.

Yeah, definitely. Once things settle down a bit in the game I'm definitely going to have a hoarder-esque bunker full of knick-knacks.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ddraig posted:

So this is my first game of this particular type... and how the gently caress am I supposed to deal with Meteor Storms? I know there's probably some sort of building material that is resistant to them later on, but it's kind of a bummer when a lot of my hard work is reduced to rubble because the gods have decided I must be bombarded with flaming lumps of rock.

I'm half-tempted to live out the rest of my days in some subterranean hidey-hole and never seeing the light of day again.

At the moment - build some shields around your stuff with other blocks, build underground, or build on another planet. The upside - Meteor storms will be toned down at some point

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
New update from Kyren on the future of patches for beta.

http://playstarbound.com/nother-update-new-unstable-branch-on-steam/

Kyren posted:

So there will be a new update coming down the pipe soon, and there’s a couple of bits here that need explaining.

We’re changing the way we do releases slightly. There will be a new “unstable” branch which you can select on steam, which will receive updates sooner than the regular branch that you get when you install starbound. Anybody who is interested in helping us test the releases is encouraged to try it out, but please please note that unstable may destroy your saves and be generally, well, unstable. Yes, we know this is a testing branch for our beta, which is also for testing, but we’re trying to keep the big ugly data destroying bugs to a minimum so we figure this will help. We put some tests in your tests so you can test while you… anyway,

The next thing that needs mentioning… update sizes! It seems every time there is a starbound update it’s 500 – 700 MB, regardless of how tiny it is. This is due to two things:, One, our windows binaries had full debugging information because for silly reasons that don’t matter much that was the only way we could get stacktraces crashes. Well, not anymore! Windows binaries are now built at debug level 1 (as opposed to 2) which means that instead of starbound.exe being 450MB it’s more like 30MB. So there’s that.

The OTHER thing that was causing large updates was our pak file system. Whenever we updated pak files, we tended to completely rebuild the pak file with just a file or two changed, which was enough to make the steam binary diff system go bonkers and just basically re-download the whole file again. This is also fixed! We now add to the pak file in place, so minimal changes occur (and at the end of the file) that make steam deltas very small. This is important as we want to start doing more frequent content updates (as we’ve mentioned).

That’s the good news, the BAD news is that in order to make this happen, you’re going to have to download the entire pak file again, so the first update will kinda suck (pak file format change). But, it should get better after that. To all those that have bandwidth caps, I’m very sorry :(

The update should include several bugfixes and updates to heck, the treasure horde, and the skyrails system at least, probably post a full changelog later. The update will hit ‘unstable’ tonight, and probably ‘stable’ tomorrow depending on how things go.

If you need help opting into the 'Unstable' branch, just right click on Starbound on Steam, click properties, and use the dropdown menu on the 'Betas' tab.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I featured your mod on the Starbound mods section. Its really good.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ashsaber posted:

Any tips that goons would like to share with a newbie? Other than wait on the distress beacon, I've seen that in action.

My suggestion would be to go to a forest planet and chop down every single tree on it with a stone axe. Don't use the matter manipulator because its slow as hell. You can make coal from unrefined wood by putting it in the furnace. 10 pieces of wood is 1 coal. This sounds like a lot of wood, but each tree is at least one coal, and the taller trees can translate into multiple pieces. On the way open any chests you come across and mine any surface ore. Then once you've got a lot of coal, go to a desert planet and dig around. You'll find lots of pockets of fine sand on desert planets. Fine sand breaks almost immediately, and causes a cavein with all the other nearby fine sand. This pops out any ore that might have been in the sand, resulting in a lot of ore really quickly.

Also when travelling - pick systems with a lot of planets. If you have to travel outside of the system, its 200 fuel no matter what. If you are travelling to a moon or a planet within the same system the fuel cost is reduced drastically.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone wants a reasonable forum title on the Starbound forum I'll totes hook you up.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

make shoehead's title "Master of Scaremonies"

Will do

dog kisser posted:

Make mine "They're not goats, darnit!"

Whats your username again?

Richey posted:

Braww, Can you make mine "I sold my soul to The dark lorde lowtax and all i got was this crappy title"?

Too long, rip

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

Oh poo poo if you're actually doing that, can you change mine (UnsubRedun) to "Plebeian"

Done

Done

Richey posted:

yeah, rip.
How about "I am become nerd"?

Sure. Username?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arkitektbmw posted:

Aww can I have "I LOVE IT!"

Username: Arkitektbmw