Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Genocyber posted:

I really wish I didn't have to do the tutorial bullshit every time I start a new character. I don't mean the quests, I mean grinding for cobblestone and wood to get the basic tools and enough plant matter for armor and bandages. Takes a good 30 minutes at least.

Build a base in Alpha sector and write down the coordinates. You can then go there on another character and all your stuff will be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

I really like the flashlight effect. Please tell me you can strap one to a hat to make a miners helmet and explore with the flashlight on and a weapon out.

You can stick a one handed weapon like a short sword or a pistol in one hand and flashlight in the other.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Fair to Midland posted:

Loving this game, but is there any Miner's Hat type item in the game? Flashlight sucks in caves and dropping a torch every 20 feet is so annoying. I want to explore caves and poo poo but I need a persistent light source. Are there more powerful flashlights at least?

Flashlight in one hand and sword/pistol in the other.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Pakled posted:

How are you guys finding enough gold to craft steel armor during T2? I haven't seen any on the surface of any planets I've been to and I've only seen the ore rarely and in tiny concentrations very deep underground.

I find the deepest cave I can and use bombs to blow holes into deeper caves. I don't go all the way down, usually before it turns into super hard rock right before lava layer is where I look around. You find a lot of cool poo poo at that depth like the weird biomes (flesh/mushroom/frogs/tiny people) and little veins of gold.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Verviticus posted:

I dont know why but i really prefer the thought of the system in place with a hundred levels of monsters instead of easy/medium/hard and massive health numbers

In the current system if your gear is a little too low or high someone is just oneshotting someone else. Due to the hodgepodge mix of gear a typical player is running around with at any given time this seems to end up being you always oneshot monsters while monsters always oneshot you too. Which is kind of stupid.

Trying to balance that is really complicated due to all the different numbers involved. They basically looked at the system and saw how they wanted it to work (each sector has easy/medium/hard enemies) and are just going straight to that system instead of this middleman of armor pen and armor values competing.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

pwnyXpress posted:

So, is level 40 the highest the game goes right now? I thought they said it went up to level 100, and I'm finding plutonium, solarium, and uranium that I don't know what to do with if I dig really deep, but I can't find any way to get past level 40.

Everything past tier 3 is smushed into one tier right now. It will be pulled apart into 7 proper tiers later.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

-Remove "simple collision" damage entirely. Enemies should have to attack to deal damage. Stuff like "Body Slam" could have a glowing trail effect to make it obvious that's an attack.

That's how it works already.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

There's a very hilariously poor visual indicator for that then, since I could die from things by just running into them when they're seemingly not alerted.

Some creatures have a bite or claw attack animation which is probably what you are running into.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Enzer posted:

Quote came from here. Just a single part of a larger thread, the whole thing is several kinds of stupid with accusations that Chucklefish blowing off the community by trying to centralize to one wiki (that isn't owned by Curse).

I am a sucker for drama and also hate Curse so I took a quick stroll through that whole reddit thread that comment chain is from and it amuses me to no end that the guys rabidly calling for Tiy's head or whatever over him deciding not to go with curse deleted all their comments. I assume they went back and deleted them after they realized how bad it was going to reflect on them. Them being Curse because they aren't loving fooling anyone.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Section Z posted:

Since I don't know jack about coding, just know people keep saying how easily moddable this game is. How easy would it be to add an "Extra random" checkbox to multiplayer to skew the world gen?

A randomized treasure chest in a known spot is still a treasure chest.

You can just change the seed in the files on the server and you're done, the universe it generates will be totally different.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

A piece of coal gets you a lot further than a log ever did and after a casual stroll around a planet stopping to grab any obvious coal I have 200+. I could probably double that by venturing further into caves or come out with more coal than I possibly need if I went even deeper. Really not seeing any issue.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

Actually, no, they changed coal's fuel potency to be that of what wood was last patch, so it gets you just as far as a piece of wood while still being necessary for torches, steel, durasteel, so on and so forth.

It's a dumb change.

At the same time they reduced how much fuel it takes to get around in the same system though. So yeah, it gets you further than logs did.

If you guys really can't find enough coal to get around then I think you may be blind. It's the most common resource in the game at the moment, that poo poo is absolutely everywhere in large quantities. More than enough to fuel your ship, make stacks of steel and torch up whole planets.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

It used to take 200 lumber to go somewhere. Now it takes 1 coal.

And it takes a hell of a lot longer to get 200 lumber than it does to get 1 coal.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Anyone else notice that electric and poison weapons do the other one when you use them in the right hand?

It works extra well with a twohander since you can just laft or right click to get the desired effect!

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Esposito posted:

Appreciating that it's early beta, I'm finding melee combat really unsatisfying. The delay on swinging a weapon and the restriction on aiming make it really unengaging. Hope it's something that changes.

They were testing aimed weapons the other day in a stream. So it's probably coming at some point.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Cephalocidal posted:

OK. I've spent a solid 40 hours at this point (probably more, really) learning firsthand how difficult pixel art is. I don't even know what's going on with half of this thing - it's so large my inspiration changed at least a couple of times while I was building it out. I used the default human ship as a base model. Everything is extrapolated from that in some way or other.

Here are the files themselves for anyone who wants to use this thing (or build on it) -

Edit: fixed missing tech printer, thanks Galaga Galaxian.

http://i.imgur.com/2SDXRKB.png (rename to shipship.png)
http://i.imgur.com/qillBrB.png (rename to dropshipblocks.png)

You'll also need to open dropship.STRUCTURE (in Notepad or some other text editor and set "position" to [0, 0] so the texture lines up with the grid.

All of the above go into Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\ships\human to make this the default ship newly created human characters'll get. This overwrites the default ship for humans so back up the affected files or you'll need to delete the files and have Steam re-download them if you want to get the unmodified starter ship back.

I just started using this and it's the first time I have used a modded ship before. Is there some reason I can't place back walls or is that just a thing with modded ships?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Cephalocidal posted:

There aren't any blocks to attach things to - you can fix that by placing a foreground block and then attaching to that, but I'll look at the structure file when I get home and see if there's a flag for allowing back wall placement without adjacency. The structure files are pretty close to plain english so you might be able to check for yourself.

Strange, I tried to do it that way, by placing a block in the foreground and then placing background around it but that wasn't working. I guess I'll go back and try again.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

clockwork chaos posted:

Welcome to Captain Rustbeard's ship, me hearties!
http://i.imgur.com/2zsNsru

linked because it's pretty big! But it was fun as heck to build. I need some sort of black material for my pirate flag and then barrels and stuff to fill it.

:stare:

By the way, you can zoom out the camera in the options.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

So what exactly is up with

Looks like Seamonkies.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

peepsalot posted:

Who caresss just sssmash them for their sssweet sssweet loot filled insidesss

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The people who whined hard enough to get Chucklefish to make that rule don't care about having a good modding community or having their mods used and enjoyed, they just want a circlejerk to boost their sense of self worth. You can't discuss things rationally with people like that.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Mo_Steel posted:

Brings new meaning to the song "Have You Ever Seen The Rain?"

Also, reiterating my question from a while back, who do folks host servers through that are reasonable? I'm trying Multiplay right now but we're getting stutter issues with 3 people online at once, much less the 12 person capacity that was their minimum slot size. :(

I'm hosting a Starbound server on a <50$/mo server from these guys: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508988

Mine has a bunch of other poo poo going on too so you could probably get a cheaper one and do the same. You'll want some basic Linux command line knowledge but I know there are step-by-step guides for installing Steam, installing Starbound and starting the server up out there.

However, they seem to take customer service to the extreme and I bet they would set up your Starbound server for you.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The Green Calx posted:

The game is still in beta, after all. That being said, I would really like to see this beta move along a little faster than we're going now. We're still in phase 1, and it's been about 4 months since the game was put on steam. Every time I play, it still feels like the exact same thing and not a whole lot is getting done.

What happened to daily patches? Too busy rolling in all the money I bet.

The fundamental game probably is not going to change all that much between now and the "final" version if that is what you are expecting. Each patch adds a bunch of new items to find to use or build with, places you can run into and creatures to eat you. Like MrLonghair said you can opt in to the rapid patches if you want but expect some instability.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just remember how Minecraft, even in early development, had tons of server threads. I actually find that I'm having more fun with Starbound, there's way more variety and like someone else had said, it's still early access. It's incredible.

Like others have pointed out, Starbound servers are effectively infinite. I know Minecraft servers technically have that possibility but once you explore out a bit you start taxing the server and the host ends up having to cut off chunks of the map to keep it working. With Starbound though you only really need one server as long as it's powerful enough to support the maximum concurrent players you usually get and it works fine. Everyone can go find their own worlds to build and explore on and it's pretty unlikely that anyone else will stumble across your stuff unless you show them or send the coordinates out.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

4chan is generally furious at everything all the time. If you think SA is cynical, 4chan is on a whole other level.

Well yeah, because DAS JUDEN are delaying Starbound development because it's a conspiracy to destroy a videogame and ruin their hobby funtime.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

As a self described idea guy I

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Shoehead posted:

Minecraft modding got really dodgy once money was involved

A bunch of the servers are really dodgy too.

"Subscribe for $9.99/mo to get access to mining diamond blocks!"

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

It's great that this thread has been pretty chill so that people from Chucklefish feel comfortable posting here and... oh.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Ahundredbux posted:

I can see the Terraria part but what about the rest.

Monster taming and battling is kinda like side scrolling Pokemon.

Collecting powerups is kinda like Metroid but I think the progression gating based on gear/powerups isn't quite in yet so right now we just have a bunch of toys to play with from that. A lot of this stuff also goes into making it feel a bit like Castlevania, mostly in the dungeon exploration but also in the abilities and in the (new) combat system.

Building/crafting is like Terraria.

Diablo I am not sure.

The gun system is almost directly lifted from Borderlands, it needs a lot of fiddling though.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

While I'm not as rabid about it as some on here, it is pretty unfortunate that Chucklefish is taking so long to get a stable build out. :(

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The armor bug for NPCs only seems to be an issue if you like quick attacking low damage weapons. If you prefer slower high damage weapons you probably won't even notice the bug.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The UK offers a bunch of tax credit to game studios. It's one of the best places in the world to have a studio right now if you're just looking at what incentives are provided. I think both the UK and the EU provide poo poo to studios there plus London provides bonus to tech sector companies. So they might be triple dipping by being there.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

mutata posted:

Except the UK is notorious within the industry for being impossible to find jobs. :confused:

That's why all the incentives, to try and attract more development studios.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I read that stuff to mean that there would be planet-only things you could build to progress tiers and poo poo without leaving one world if that's what you want to do.

OR you could stick everything in your ship and go on space adventures to new worlds to progress the tiers.

So you go with the one you find more enjoyable.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

They have a large monster generator instead of up-scaling the regular generated ones.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Seems like the MM is going to be some all-in-one multitool if you choose to add all the upgrades onto it. I'm super ok with this.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Looks like a WiP to me so it's hard to say anything other than "looks cool" based off that gif.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Might make mining a little more interesting/rewarding? Smashable rocks that pop out a bunch of ore.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Raskolnikov posted:

Voting "coat of paint".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

mutata posted:

ooOOOOOoooOOOOOOOooOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Sorry, I didn't rank that skill.

• Locked thread