Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

I'd try it before I dismissed it out of hand

I mean, the problem statement is correct, that some people hate high-gloss necks because they do the stick-and-slip thing. But those people have plenty of solutions, including sanding off the thick finish, using a rosewood neck, talc, etc.

Regardless of how nice this is, it's definitely a highly-engineered solution to a low-tech and minor problem with existing solutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Sire Oblivion posted:

Beautiful; what's wrong with a simple and elegant design?

Tryhard racist buckethead-fanboy gently caress of a pretentiously over-priced over-constructed parlor guitar?

I love the shape, but perhaps you are the kind of color-blind that is blind to the fact that everything is creamy white-chocolate colored?

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Certainly I was exaggerating earlier, but...

comes along bort posted:

looks like it was made with a 3d printer

... sums up my true sentiment. I guess the acoustic / classical world doesn't go as bananas as the electrics, and this instrument takes it as far from the norm without losing its identity as a "parlor acoustic." I get that brown-on-brown can get dull, but it's funny how off-putting the variations can be (especially in the Brett Michaels direction). To me, at least.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Local CraigsList is really a neverending font of content for this thread.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

This is what this thread was made for, god this is ugly as gently caress. Even better, I want to see this model after just a month or so of actual stage use.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

empty baggie posted:

I have one of those that hasn't been modded all to hell (e. ha! literally). It's a Casio SK-1. Got it when I was like 6 years old (I'm pushing 35) and it still works.

E: Here's my unmolested SK-1 Sampling Keyboard:

Holy loving madeline. I so vividly remember the pre-programmed test song on that, and exactly how it sounds with burp, fart, and other "hilarious" sample sounds. Song is now stuck in my head -- does it have a name/artist so I can buy it??

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Bonzo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2qx46rAOkw

I loved mine. However my family got tired of the many, many variations of Jingle Bells done with dog barks.

Aw hell yisss. Thanks for this video. Was "dog bark" a standard sample? I ask because I have a very specific memory of the exact same experience you described.

Seriously, thanks, this is like a trip through memories I have no reason to care about.
:yayclod:

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

I saw a really stupid video on youtube the other day that TOTALLY PROVES TONEWOOD GUYS!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLxE8iDWD_w

I have never wanted to stab two people so much in my life.

Hang THE gently caress ON a second. Are those guitars veneer-tops?

These two humans are pretty awful, btw

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

strangemusic posted:

I hope this thread doesn't crucify me, but Les Pauls have never been appealing to me whatsoever. At ALL.

Except this, holy crap yes please:

Also: 80s spandexed butt rock chat and Zappa, why, why must you do these horrible things??

I have the 70's version and it's my favorite Gibson ever made and the only Les Paul I own. Also maybe my favorite electric guitar ever made, maybe.

That said, I hate how it looks with that Bigsby bolted on it. I have no clue why they did that on what looks like a fairly nice homage.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

I missed this.... Are you saying the frets are glued in? Thats.... :psyduck:. Who glues frets?

Not likely applicable, but I make classical guitars and I use either cyano or epoxy to seat my frets. I cut the slots exactly the size of the wire, and file off most of the tang, so the fret doesn't require crazy hammering or high-pressure pressing to seat properly. I've never understood guys who actually hammer the frets past the 12th on a classical build - it seems way insane to me, but I'm no expert.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Stux posted:

look at these loving lovely guitars hahaha

my first emptyquote (IIRC)

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

muike posted:

lol @ faustus but also lol at stux

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

comes along bort posted:

she'll totally teach you to write sick metal riffs tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSc_FU_CnwY

Metal Meth OD

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I missed this thread for a while, and everyone started saying "relicing."

For 3-4 pages of reading I was just nodding along, thinking we were adding lice again.

I am a dim man.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
This thread has come a long way. Maybe too far.

Ularg posted:

God this took forever and a half to find.

Specifically, handle guitar and

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

Nah, it was just perfect timing. It was the last hour of my shift at work and I was just staring at GBS looking for something funny to happen (lol). I finished the GoTJ thread (that's how bored I was) and saw this thread back on the first page. I checked the last page and wouldn't you know it, there it was. It was too tempting.

I imagine somewhere in the last however many posts someone else has posted something similar, I just never noticed.

Carry on, I'm not here to roll with the punches or stick around. Remain calm.

I'd be all over that if it was H/S/H or H/S/S. I never could bring myself to do without the middle pickup option. I wish I had more hardtails now, though. Don't really need vibrato bridges much anymore.

Peace, ugly guitar thread.

I'm still butthurt about how you tried to hurt my feelings early in this thread. Can you post noodling solos on tindeck or soundcloud that might soothe my weary mind???

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

muike posted:

you just don't understand man you gotta have an 18 pound les paul because the heavier it is the better it sounds

As an unabashed owner of a Les Paul Recording, my shoulder sighed at your comment. My TONE SHOULDER, that is.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

The Stygian posted:

Thumbnail notwithstanding, Perry Ormsby makes loving amazing guitars - without a doubt one of the best custom luthiers in the world at the moment.

Thumbnail and luthier skills notwithstanding, that bass is ugly as gently caress.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

BigHustle posted:

This guy built an ugly rear end guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9kGnvpT5YQ

I wouldn't blink twice if you told me this was Vernon Reid's touring guitar for 5 years straight.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Faustus still postin in this thread?

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

woodch posted:

You linked the ebay auction, and NOT the included youtube of the AMAZING GLOWING VIOLIN IN ACTION?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4exQHsQW9s
Shameful.

So easy to think you've seen it all in this vid, but then you get to 6:37 and A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS (same bro)

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

The knobs in particular

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

No lie I saw this yesterday and considered posting to this thread, but then I didn't.

I wrote this story myself.

Might be worth posting all the close-up images, to clarify that this mess also have many rocks glued to it.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Ken Marino will be playing him in the authorized biography

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

I did go for the sorta vintage-but-Gatton-approved set. I didn't get the "Modern" set. I bought the T-Set (Neck and Bridge) found here.
I want to post some audio clips to Musician's Lounge next weekend once I have the pickup heights and other parameters set ideally. They really do respond amazingly to the guitar's volume/tone controls. I didn't even install either of the two caps JBE included in the box.
I work second-shift so I can't play the 50W combos after work. I'd be evicted. Also, I want to get a couple licks from "The Sun Medley" and "Harlem Nocturne" under my hands. Then I'll play some de-tuned low-heavy metal stuff and see how that goes.

That OCD pedal turned my Peaveys' lifeless clean channels into something that even the Barden pickups couldn't.

I would have stuck with the original electronics in the Ibanez but I thought it was too modern and fat and had too much gain. I wanted something closer to a vintage tone and every time I think of Gatton I wish I could play and sound like him when appropriate. Unfortunately, neither will happen, but drat those pickups deliver and the OCD is a joy. So is the Corona Chorus.

I see major gear acquisition syndrome in the year 2016. Frankly, I'm afraid of the expense of all the gear I desire.

P.S. - Sorry for the GBS serious-posting. I'll go away for another 720 posts like I did last time.

Never leave.

You were right all along.

This thread is your thread.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Faustus: can you post various sound clips of different equipment and the thread will say whether something was worth the price paid?

I want this in my life.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

seen this gif ten thousand times and never saw the audience was behind steel bars, presumably to keep them from openly molesting the Jacco

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

What's the music word for "rear end in a top hat?"

Is it just "rear end in a top hat?"

If so, that guy is an rear end in a top hat.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Rifter17 posted:

What a perfect response.

Tony Levin also wrote a book where in the first chapter he basically said that bass players are God.

He also invented sticks you tape to your fingers so that you can whack the bass strings with them. They're called funk fingers.

On a Peter Gabriel song, he used a diaper to act as a mute.

He recorded an album in a cave using a dummy with microphones in its ears (called KEMAR) instead of recording each instrument normally.

He also is one of the most in demand session bass players out there.

Faustus forgot to log out of his alt

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

Let's not dance around the issue here, this is still only ugly guitars itt no matter what the title says:

Those loving pinstripes are vomitous.

Guy Fierri commemorative edition

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Dirt posted:

Buckethead owns.

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Dirt posted:

I like your advise, and I will work on it more. Thanks man.

better than your favorite guitarist tho

maybe better, sure, but he's bad

• Locked thread