Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Started playing a couple days ago - how do you guys handle compare control in a temperate biome? Toggling heaters and coolers every season or temperature event gets old fast but my small base doesn't have quite enough power off a single geyser to leave both running simultaneously. Also not completely sure what temperature bands to be aiming for, right now I'm just leaving the default 21c for rooms and -10c for freezers.

Regarding kill box designs - what makes raiders ignore the side doors? Wouldn't your main entrance also have a door at some point so the entry 'cost' is the same? I definitely had raiders focus on busting through my air conditioners before I starting walling off their exhaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nope, thats the main thing. You leave your entrance open, Even if all your poo poo is still in sealed rooms inside your base, the open entrance is one less layer of poo poo for them to bust through, so they tend to funnel to it instead.

Can't climate control it while it's wide open though? So you have a U shaped base as a result of leaving doors open, and maybe an extra outer shell layer to inflate the cost from other directions?

isndl
May 2, 2012

McGiggins posted:

Anesthetic lol

It dulls the pain of realizing your loving walls don't line up. :arghfist::saddowns:

isndl
May 2, 2012
Why's the end goal to get off the planet, anyways? Sure, if your landing spot is a real shithole there might be no reason to stay, but if you have a nice secure base with stable food supply that's all but impenetrable to raids why bother leaving?

On a different note, I got my first toxic fallout event and man it sucks. I'm feeling a distinct lack of tools to control movement restrictions though they probably exist if I start looking for mods, there's a handful of stuff that does exist in vanilla but they're too micro heavy for my taste.

isndl
May 2, 2012

McGiggins posted:

All you need to do is draw out a movement area in the tool menu, so that it covers all your roofed areas, and then assign that to your pawns as their allowed area.

Presto changeo, you have fallout free colonists.

Doesn't help the Muffalo too dumb to come back inside after grazing. My haygrass hasn't come in yet. :downs:

isndl
May 2, 2012

winterwerefox posted:

Something has gone and broke in my game, where i cant right click to force a job. I can draft and force some, but otherwise things are broke. Anyone had this, an how to fix it?

What's the job? I figured out that sometimes I can't force treatment on someone because their treatment permissions somehow got set to none (and then nearly lost him to bleeding). Another pawn won't do firefighting, probably because of work permissions as well though I didn't check closely because I was busy with the fire.

It does seem like an area where more information visibility is in order, tasks should always exist in the context menu, simply greyed out with reasoning if they can't be accomplished. That this happens with some tasks but not others is poor consistency.

isndl
May 2, 2012
What's the best way to deal with undesirable pawns, short of modding out the mood hits for banishment etc.? I don't need these little shits starting fires in my stockpiles or fights with my pacifist crafter. Do I just turn them into surgical practice and eat the mood hit when they accidentally die?

isndl
May 2, 2012

mauman posted:

Also, I found a male misandrist. Talk about self-loathing issues.

Which mod adds gender reassignment surgery? Are there be diplomatic repercussions for a mono-gender colony that forcibly reassigns captured enemies before releasing them?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

drat I love the WH40k mod but it throws the balance all out of whack. If the regular best weapons in game are t3, WH40k is t5-6. Why sure it's fine to have bolters doing 30dmg aoe with 6 burst on a 3 second warmup

That said it rules I just wish I could make everything tougher to compensate.

Isn't the answer to most balance complaints a shrug and 'well, the enemies can spawn with them too'?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I installed the Infused mod and my new colony is out of whack because one of my starting colonists dropped in with some kind of mega-infused clothing with like 10 keywords that bumped the value by around 100k. Raiders are showing up in big packs with fancy guns and I'm still trying to get basic infrastructure set up. Some colonists now have high expectations because of the colony wealth score. :downs:

isndl
May 2, 2012
Can you concrete the border though? Or does flooring not count for the no-build zone?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I'm drowning in husky puppies, help. :shepface:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Husky conveyor belt. Never need a hauler pawn again.

edit: had to go digging through the thread to find my implementation of this. Most of them are in the kennel, but if you look inside the tunnels, you can see them.

They need so much food though! And they keep popping out more! :ohdear:

Also cremating is a hauling task so I had a whole pile of corpses making bad moods until I realized what was up and reenabled hauling on pawns.

isndl
May 2, 2012
For cranking up the weight allowance on your caravans, do you guys use Muffalos or something else?

isndl
May 2, 2012
Unethical medical practices on prisoners may be a war crime, but it's valuable medical training data and you might get a pass for it anyways!

isndl
May 2, 2012
Are elf-robes made from elf leather? And (noble) ones made from elf nobles specifically?

isndl
May 2, 2012
Next step, PvP raiding? :getin:

I can picture some goon going on a raid only to wall in the other dude and start a new colony outside.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Wrr posted:

The games says the AI on the vanilla turrets can't tell friend from foe. I want to take the brains from captured raiders to put into better turrets.

It's raid time and a psychic drone just hit! One turret has gone berserk and is shooting everyone indiscriminately, another has gone catatonic, two turrets are now social fighting, and the last turret is... binging on psychite tea? I didn't even know we had any.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Keeping a boomalope herd outside my base is proving to be surprisingly effective as part of my defenses. Some of them are getting pretty torn up though and I had to give them peg legs, and one time there was one that lost its spine so a colonist rescued it bringing inside my barn - turns out they still explode when you euthanize them. :downs:

isndl
May 2, 2012
Started a new base in the mountains to play around with underground building and used the reroll map mod to get a map that is extremely dense mountain for maximum building space. Now I have the problem where traders show up but can't seem to find their way back off the map, often collapsing from malnutrition and dying if I don't notice them for rescue. They aren't completely stuck because they'll eventually find their way out, it just takes forever and they're wandering into my base and letting all the warm air out of my temporary greenhouse while doing so. Also prisoners that I mark for release will get dropped outside my door and they promptly turn around to walk right back in to my prison for some reason.

Any way to fix this? I don't think it's a mod issue because I haven't had it before, I think it's some kind of pathing issue with how crazy mountainous the map is. All the wildlife mostly hangs out in the little valley entrance too but that's probably because there's no food in the inner valleys thanks to permanent winter.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

That magnifies it, sure, but just things like putting a 1x1 fridge full of 10 upper tier meals in your blinged out dining area saves a vast amount of walking. I mean, I don't CARE that it affects balance but it certainly does, and some people don't want that in their game.

I found that unless you have a very low pop base, a single stack of food in the dining room gets eaten fast enough to make a dining room freezer unnecessary; that just needs a mini shelf (which is technically modded to be fair, but you can probably soak the beauty hit from leaving food on the floor in the dining room). If anything, the Room Food mod is more gameplay changing because it actually makes pawns check the dining room for food instead of the weird grabbing randomly from nearby that vanilla behavior has (which leads to a lot of stomping in and out of the freezer depending on your base layout). Unless your bills are set up for low meal counts I guess, I tend to set them high in case my cook gets busy/incapacitated.

The only places I've really found refrigerators really useful is directly adjacent to the stoves for absolute minimal chef movement, which also can be accomplished with ordinary shelves if you have enough thoroughput or don't mind the occasional stack of raw food decaying. Drug labs are the same, I won't get annoyed by alerts for 3 psychoid leaves decaying while waiting for the next harvest to come in.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Are chickens just naturally aggressive? Because I tried using bear zones since I had like five of them self tame and they would flee instead when shot at.

Also I think I have some mod quirks happening because I bought a couple mechabears and they're reproducing like crazy (instant adulthood) despite their description saying they don't reproduce.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

It doesn't always help. My best shooter and crafter in the colony got accidentally headshot during a skirmish with pirates. She wore an advanced helmet, so instead of a dead pawn I got a pawn who can barely move, fails pretty much every task and passes out when she smokes a joint. She still eats as much as any other colonists though!

Sounds like a job for healer mech serum!

isndl
May 2, 2012

Slung Blade posted:

Anyone else seen this behavior? It wasn't a work priority thing, I checked it like five times.

Have you checked the dev console logs for error messages yet? When I had pawns refusing to do things automatically (eating meals in my case) the logs showed that the object searching was broken thanks to certain modded objects and I ditched that mod. Yours isn't the exact same situation but it's a place to start.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Danaru posted:

On a related note, what race mods do you guys use? I got androids, elder things, argonians, and crystalloids and wouldnt mind even more sapients stopping by

There's the Arachne mod which is nice in that they have big visible spider butts to differentiate them easily at a glance, but they might be slightly OP since they have natural regeneration, usually "weak" which just bandages wounds but sometimes "strong" which can regenerate limbs. When a transport pod crashes with one of them they're basically back on their feet before I can get a colonist over to rescue them and they walk off the map on their own power. Makes them good melee tanks since they probably won't bleed out if they go down in a dragged out fight.

isndl
May 2, 2012

RisqueBarber posted:

Fall out kills my poo poo every time. I cant last 7 days with it going on.

Fallout is why every base I make transitions to indoor farming with sunlamps. You don't necessarily need hydroponics since you can still plant in dirt that you've walled off, though hydroponics does give you a higher fertilization rate (at the cost of resources and a bit of power and solar flares being death sentences for your crops). Sunlamps do need a shitload of power but you can run one with two solar panels since they only need to turn on during the day. You'll want batteries for the full range of grow hours since solar ramps up and down but you can get by without it, especially if you're planting on naturally fertile soil.

When fallout hits you also should drop everything and go on a mass hunting spree because everything on the map is going to die shortly from starvation if not from toxic buildup. This includes slaughtering any livestock you can't afford to feed since you're going to have to move them indoors to keep them from toxic buildup, unfortunately Rimworld doesn't have zone assignments by schedule and the AI is too dumb to stay out of toxic zones.

isndl
May 2, 2012
One thing I forgot to mention is that sunlamp farming naturally leads to compartmentalizing your crops which is also effective for blight control as blight won't spread out of the room it starts in, even if you leave the door open.

isndl
May 2, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

But with things like grenades and rockets having small sprites, I'm surprised someone hasn't done a point defense turret mod or something.

I definitely recall seeing a point defense mod to shoot down mortars and drop pods. Don't recall if rockets were on the list.

isndl
May 2, 2012

FreshFeesh posted:

Never encountered a lancer before today – got the alert of an incoming raid, clicked on it, and the screen centered on my base. I shrugged, thought it was a bug, and went about my day, until some flying spectre of death hovered in and started blasting my poor animals.

Just in case you haven't figured out what happened here, drop pod raids take some time to actually land after the event kicks off. Give it a few seconds after unpausing and you'll see it fly in to that spot, but you can also use that time to rally defenders.

isndl
May 2, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

Here's my current base, note the barracks in the north - they're either very or extremely impressive:

The three smaller barracks near the front line consists of two prison barracks (with the bright white plumbing fixtures) and the warden barracks (my wardens constantly wear power armor and carry blunt weaponry). The barracks in the middle are guest quarters.

Here's the defense in action. With this setup the embrasures are mostly superfluous, sandbags would provide similar defense need. Melee doesn't get anywhere near with the side wings, though I haven't had a shield belt melee rush in a while.

How'd you get a sweet rear end giant single valley map like that? Even with the reroll map mod I can't seem to get anything similar.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I highly recommend using the more planning colors mod for base planning, especially if you want to redesign.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Good news, you don't have to choose. They're compatible.

But... my load times. :shepface:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Kris xK posted:

What are you guys using to store weapons? These shelves only hold 2 weapons and I'm running out of space!

Shelves are good for important storage (so you know exactly where the molotovs are when the infestation hits, etc.) but for regular bulk storage you might as well toss everything on the floor in a standard stockpile. Use the Expanded Storage mod if you want to be able to stack them.

Weapons have a hidden sell price penalty though so I only make guns that I need and sell/melt the rest, and for some reason I'm always constantly short on steel once I get industry going so I'm loathe to waste it.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

Forget the hay grass, stuff the corpses in a paste machine and feed that to the animals.

Do your animals know how to operate the dispenser or do you have someone on full time feeding duty? What about your herbivores?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

Paste is paste man. Doesn't matter what went in, what comes out is paste.

See here for how to mass produce paste:

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Nutrient_paste_dispenser

Guess animals don't get moodlets so don't care if it used to be meat. Having to micro a pawn to generate more meals seems like too much work for me though, I don't really look at stockpile numbers unless I'm trying to plan a new project.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Now that I'm actually home, this is the mod I was talking about https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1555583045

Half the draw of nutrient paste is that you don't have to spend work time making the meals, so adding recipes to make paste seems to be missing the point. Guess it's still good for those emergency situations where your cooks are gone.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Nalesh posted:

It's mostly just to feed your prisoners paste without having a nutrient paste dispenser, especially prisoners that can't move which mine mysteriously don't.

Put the nutrient paste dispenser in the prison and prisoners will pull paste out of it automatically (or if they're unable to move, your warden will pull paste from it). My base designs now have the prison adjacent to the freezer for this reason!

Pharnakes posted:

You know you can target pawns with the.mortars right? You don't have to just use area fire.

He's trying to lead the target to account for travel time, targeting the pawn directly means it's a whiff when the mortar lands where the pawn used to be as they walk towards your base.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Loel posted:

The main problem I'm hitting is I've run out of wood. A big fire cleared out all the forest within 3 screens of me, and I can't keep up with the wood fuel generator. This means my AC/freezer rooms are down, which means people are starting to get heat stroke, and my food is going bad. I thought I had it covered when I built a wind turbine and connected the power, but the freezer room hasn't turned back on yet.

Your right side wind turbine isn't on the grid, add a couple conduits to connect it. If you're unsure if you have enough capacity on a grid, when you click on a building that uses power it'll tell you the capacity of the grid it's connected to.

isndl
May 2, 2012
If one of your favorite colonists die you can always stuff them in a freezer while you go on a quest to find a resurrection mech serum injector!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

Sylink posted:

Is there a mod for bulk task priority? Like enable only the top skills for all your pawns?

There's one that automates work assignments according to user defined percentages but I haven't tried it myself. Don't recall the name of the mod offhand though.