Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Kipawa is going to win, but discover a newfound respect for Guran and yield leadership. That's obviously where this is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Yeah. Why not? We haven't seen a good reason why not.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Jesus. Dilbert really is just sperg ego stroking isn't it?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

The next phantom better be the drat daughter. This kid is intolerable.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Rambling Robot posted:

A random old Luann

Garfield seems like the only comic that's always been bad.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
When's the last time one of these guys had an editor?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

SomeMathGuy posted:

"Ha, choosing the competent child to carry on the legacy over the one with a penis? Don't make me laugh."

Is Kit the Younger's goal to be insufferable in every arc these days?

I think he's going to die with the phantom and the good one is going to have to avenge both of them.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Tiggum posted:

If time were allowed to pass in this comic, that might be a possibility. But in reality, the current Phantom will always be the Phantom and his kids will always be teenagers.

So has the phantom never been replaced in the comic's history?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Dammit phantom, you're foreshadowing real hard now, and we're going to get NO pay off.

I'd kill for a time skip.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Tracer Bullet stories were the ones I under-appreciated the most as a child.

Also, that Phantom plotline had better be headed towards a time-skip. I know it won't, but we set up the next chief, we're setting up the next phantom, if we just set up the next villain, it'd actually be reasonable to just do it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Ruben bolling was much better at super fun pack comics than the person he handed it off to.

There. I said it. This new guy just recycles the format.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Professor Wayne posted:

Yeah. Didn't the Phantom just tell his kids this story the day before? I hope the strips follows this kid while he uncovers common knowledge.

"Dad! Did you know that the Phantom before you was my Grandfather?"

The best part is how tired of the kid's poo poo Devil is.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Rand Brittain posted:

I am very sad to see the Phantom's efforts at brainwashing his children take hold.

It's part of their cultural heritage. You might as well tell Amish people not to starve their wives and daughters.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Green Intern posted:

The comic shows the man being dragged, but realistically he'd be getting flipped over as the ball rolled. I am disappointed this was not portrayed.

Eagerly awaiting the Lifetime Movie Accident.

I'm seriously concerned that Phantom has drifted straight up into bad writing territory. That characters get unearned progression that we're just supposed to accept.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

ukonvasara posted:

In what way would it be fun to be a Halloween pumpkin?

They would no longer be trapped in an endless cycle of unappreciated retail work and shallow validation through popular sci-fi movies.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
When it comes to cop out strips, I'll take Pearls Before Swine's convoluted puns over the undead strips' CHARACTER likes THING copouts.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Transmodiar posted:

Foob

No. No, you won't.

To us non foob experts, what happened in the future timeline?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (June 4, 1929)

Up until today, I would never have guessed that Dragon Ball Z was based on Popeye.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix has a stark beauty.

This one actually lives up to the quality of the original super fun pak comics.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Zereth posted:

Pretty sure these are just individual strips taken out of the Fun Paks that show up in tom the dancing bug sometimes.

Nah, they ran out of those, and started doing originals under some new author. He generally lacks the same ironic punch that Reuben Bolling, and recycles jokes like the regulars in this thread do.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Wanamingo posted:

You're not supposed to clean your ears like that :mad:

But it feels so good.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Yeah, Scott Adams would be the kind to pretend all accusations of racism are totally unsubstantiated.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Darthemed posted:

If you ignore that that position is embodied by Dick from the internet, who's deliberately misinterpreting things, then yeah.

No, I'm paying attention to the fact that Dick comes from nowhere to accuse these totally innocent Scott Adams stand ins of being racist for their totally innocent statements.

The guy is a flagrantly awful rear end in a top hat, and I suspect he's going after a straw man of very real accusations he's been faced with before. Particularly about being a gigantically sexist prick.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (June 7-8, 1929)

The comparisons I made against Dragon Ball Z last time seem even more apt now. Only it's fall takes instead of openly gaping at how they're not dead.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

We get it, working daze; your characters like <pop culture thing>. You can stop.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

When did Dilbert become the voice of neo-reaction?

I mean virtually every strip is representative of their ethos now.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Oh god, this is me.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix reveals the sad truth.

Not enough stealing those theories from his wife to be a real sad truth.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Wanamingo posted:

That's the point :ssh:

I thought the point was that batiuk ought to have his dreams come true and get cancer just like his precious Lisa.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Smug smarmy pieces of poo poo whose entire identities are wrapped up in pop-culture bullshit are endearing characters.
:authorsay:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

Is this an edit? I have no idea where to find the original.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

My Lovely Horse posted:

"The last thing he did was set his safe combination to 221B. That has to be a clue. Alfie, book Sherlock Holmes for murder one, and prepare room 101."

What kind of Inspector Danger comic is this, anyway? Where are the four suspects, only one of whom stands to get rich off of the documents and who therefore must have murdered the writer, knowing Inspector Danger would find out the combination?

The good inspector is too busy embezzling funds from a dead author's estate to pin a crime on a patsy today.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
It always was going to be both. Sorry MSPaint is balls and gimp apparently doesn't want to download here.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Is... is that mandrake?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Whoolighams posted:

Is there a goddamn worse, less funny "nerd joke" than "I like Jar Jar"? In the history of any entertainment?

And these dipshits used it twice recently.

This is totally an irrational thing for me to give a care about, but it's the laziest loving gag in a strip full of them.

Ironically, characters taking themselves too seriously was one of the deeper problems with the prequels. Unless you count Obi Wan's eye rolling.

Every one of the protagonists in the original trilogy snarked or goofed around. I'd argue that JarJar failed precisely because he was the only one not being super serious. Compare prequel yoda(austere, worried about everything) to empire's yoda(trolling luke, and laughing about everything).

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Odonata posted:

For Christmas some kind soul (possibly Jesus. He does poo poo like this.) gave my daughter the perfect presents:

Did you steal my book collection?

That stack is like... eerily similar to a bookshelf I have. And Salvatore is a crap author, and I still have a pile of his books with the Pratchett, Baxter, and Gaiman.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

That boy was so much safer in a place where needed a pill to even breathe.
--A very smart protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This... Isn't an edit. How is this not an edit?

Because you really have to go out of your way to read it as inappropriate.

• Locked thread