Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

tiistai posted:

By the way, there was no Fingerpori today, and I was hoping someone else would do the honors of introducing it.

Yeah I can do it tomorrow with some archived older strips etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori is a daily comic strip from Finland which I originally started posting here some four years ago because the strips often featured characters like Spider-Man and The Phantom, both of which the thread had previously enjoyed. It turned out that the thread equally enjoyed the comic's weird pun-based humour and unique Finnishness. Classics like Viperless Milk (sadly lost to me, does anyone else still have a copy?) are still remembered to this day. These days it's mostly posted by fellow Finnish Goon tiistai, although many others pitch in as well.

Today's strip is a great example of Fingerpori at its typical:

Wait, what? Well, you see, "purist" in Finnish is "puristi", which is also the past tense of "puristaa", "to squeeze". So it looks like the child star is accusing the mayor of being a child molester. This is a running joke in Finerpori, the poor mayor getting all his words misinterpreted.

Case in point this blast from the past:

And a couple others from my archives:

Aaand loads more either here or in a convenient ZIP file!

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 2, 2014

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mr. Maltose posted:

The single funniest Fingerpori, even more than the viperless milk or the cavalcade of train jokes, is the strip that reveals that the Phantom's chair is the lair of a tinier mouse Phantom.

Oh you mean this one

Some other Phantoms

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Ah, so it was, indeed, a rash. :v: Also, that pistol doesn't look much like a Luger to me.

Seriously. The Luger is one of the most iconic firearms in the history of the world. I'm sure most people here would be able to draw a reasonable approximation from memory alone, but Brooke? Nope, he turns in ... whatever the gently caress that loving this is. And is that a trigger guard or a wedding ring?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mister Beeg posted:

Nina must be a joy during the Holidays.

Or in general. She honestly seems a bit nuts at times and insanely high strung the rest of the time. Chill out, Nina. You'll be happier.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

scarycave posted:

I honestly can't tell if she's being 100% serious, or its a joke.

I dunno, but it happens with every god drat comic strip and they have these little personal touches which make them sound like something that happened to her personally and made her so angry she had to make comics about it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Silly Voodoo posted:

Someone go back and count how many dumb strawmen are in Nina Paley's comics. (Don't actually do this)

How many comics are there? I figure that many plus give or take ~1/3 more because sometimes there are two.

And I can also kinda see where she's coming from sometimes, but she makes her points in such an infuriatingly smug and annoying way that it's hard to be sympathetic.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

scarycave posted:

Pooch Cafe is one of the reasons I keep coming to this thread, while a lot of the time its kinda bland, but when it has its moments, it really has its moments.

Yeah I love Pooch Cafe as well. And this is a good one :v:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

tiistai posted:

Fingerpori

He's reciting the card.

Those fuckers seriously do this though. A couple months back I heard the mail slot clang, went to the door, saw the notice and opened the door. Nobody in the hallway. Took about 15 seconds altogether. Went for my shoes, looked around in the building and outside, nothing. I think they just loving ran away.

I loving hate this so much. I'm mostly working from these days and I've lost count of the times that happens to me. Nobody knocks, nobody rings the doorbell, just a "sorry you weren't home" note dropped through the mail slot. I've complained at my local post office numerous times and apparently the issue is that the postmen don't bother taking these packages with them most of the time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

tiistai posted:

Fingerpori

1940:
- Go tell them we need a
kk to ward off the attack!
- It'll take another month

"kk" is an abbreviation for two things: konekivääri, assault rifle and kuukausi, month.

Machine gun, not assault rifle :v An assault rifle would be "rynnäkkökivääri".

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Remember this old Fingerpori from the past?

Well, turns out Jarla's been experimenting a bit more with the character. A friend of mine posted the Finnish original on Facebook yesterday, but I haven't been able to find the source.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

tiistai posted:

I'm not translating meters to American :v:

This is actually a thing. They are super strict about where you can build saunas. At our summer cottage our lakeside sauna is allowed to exist at the shore basically only because it was built way before these kinds of laws existed and kind of got grandfathered in. Even then we have to build an elaborate drainage system / waste water storage thing so our horribly contaminated sauna water doesn't pollute the lake. The same lake that is used by motorboats and even some kind of small cruise line.

It's worth noting that this horrible menace to nature is used by two people a couple of times a week and it's so old it doesn't even have showers, so you have to wash by pouring water over yourself from a vat. Thanks to Finnish bureaucracy nature is now saved :911:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Magic Hate Ball posted:

THIS IS SO DUMB and I love it.

That totally makes sense though because nobody would ever hold a glass with their non-dominant hand. Inspector Danger strikes again!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I guess the wolves ate Tiistai, so here is today's Fingerpori.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I love old school Peanuts :allears:

It's remarkable how much the quality dipped in later years when it became the strip I grew up with.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze overreacts to the Star Wars teaser.

It always blows my mind that people like this still exist. People who are the stereotypical "George Lucas is God" type nerds, because all the Star Wars fans I know are of the opinion that the original trilogy was good despite Lucas, and the new trilogy was hot garbage.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Wait, isn't the art here largely (or entirely) identical to one we had earlier? Where a mob guy was hiding in a building or something, because I definitely remember that red house with the dog in front of it being divided between two panels.

EDIT:

Knew it

Wanamingo posted:

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 7, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Wanamingo posted:

And these "clips" come with the bullets already installed? Hmm, interesting! Good work, Inspector!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah make the kid feel like an idiot for not getting it, that's a great way of making him learn. Look at me, getting angry at loving Foob over here.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Redeye Flight posted:

BELA... LUGOSI'S... DEAD...

I'm not sure if that line was funnier or not before I knew that was an actual song. But thanks to this thread I once again experienced the rollercoaster of emotions that is Achewood. After Pentaro's post I went back and re-read the goth arc and was happy, then I realized there will never be more Achewood again (or if there will be, just one strip every year to give us false hope) and was sad.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Here's today's Fingerpori!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ms Boods posted:

Jesus, Gilchrist -- my brother is 65, and he was a little kid when Beanie and Cecil was on tv.

Gilchrist is literally the guy from this famous comic

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Wash the sour taste of Gilchrist out of your mouth with some fresh Fingerpori.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"I wanted to be an entrepreneur, so I bought an ice cream truck"

(the truck is made of ice cream)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ran into this Fingerpori somewhere on the web and had to translate it quickly.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Today's Fingerpori.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SynthOrange posted:

Jesus christ. This is horrible.

Also where the gently caress have I seen this exact horrible coloring style before?

Andrew Dobson's awful So You Think You're a Cartoonist and assorted other poo poo works? He's the only other cartoonist I can think of who shades with the burn tool.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Maybe I'm getting a massive amount of egg on my face here, but the gods, as I understand it, are the traditional theater name for the worst seats in the house, the balcony. Maybe they're watching a melodramatic or sad play, the working class together?

OR knowing this comic it's a reference to some specific thing I'm not getting because I don't have a degree in 1890's history.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kidcoelacanth posted:

Early Peanuts is so drat good

It is, but just a couple of years onwards and it's so loving bad. What happened?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Larryb posted:

Seriously, the early version of Charlie Brown is almost a completely different character than the modern interpretation of him, a few other characters like Lucy are different as well (albeit to a slightly lesser extent), and Snoopy looks and behaves like a regular dog. Why exactly did Schultz eventually decide to change all that?

Maybe it's Homer Syndrome all over again. Snoopy became popular, Snoopy became the focal point of the comic, the comic went from "charming slice of life about kids" to "Snoopy [DOES THINGS DOGS NORMALLY DON'T DO], looks at reader, makes dated pop-culture reference, Charlie Brown says 'Oh brother'"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (September 9, 1968)

Aaand we're well and truly into the poo poo Peanuts now, where 90% of the strips follow this formula:

1. Snoopy does <THING DOGS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO DO>
2. Snoopy mugs for the readers
3. Breaking the fourth wall, Snoopy explains <THING DOGS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO DO>
4. At the same time, Snoopy makes some reference to a topical thing from 1968 which immediately makes the strip feel dated.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 7, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

RandomFerret posted:

THOSE VOTES AREN'T YOURS TO GIVE AWAY YOU GODDAMN MORON

ONE OF THE PEOPLE AT THE TOP CAN JUST CHOOSE THE NEXT CHIEF ALL ON HIS OWN AND MULTIPLE CHARACTERS CALL IT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY

TONY DEPAUL I AM TALKING DIRECTLY TO YOU

WHY DID YOU WRITE THIS GARBAGE

ANSWER MY QUESTION

YOU PIECE OF poo poo

I think the best part is yet to come when GURAN, HONORED LEADER of the BANDAR says "For MY part, I choose this other guy!" and dumps all his stones back in his bowl.

E: nope nevermind

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 9, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tiggum posted:

I hope it's Tiffany and she does a great job while Luann just constantly complains about her. Or it's TJ and he burns the place down for the insurance.

It'll be either Gunther or that guy who's loving Gunther's mom.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Well, have you tried, I dunno... VEGETARIAN FOOD?

E: Man, Dethany is a loving tank.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 5, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Maxwell Lord posted:

The third strip is Moominpapa at his best. I love that guy.

Yeah Moominpappa is the best.

Also, here's yesterday's Fingerpori.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I love Moomin :allears:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

treasureplane posted:

Krazy Kat (April 14, 1929)

I won't even pretend to understand this comic half the time.

E: When I was a kid I got a big omnibus book of Krazy Kat comics from my local library and remember enjoying it quite a bit back then.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 25, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yesterday's Fingerpori deals with the realities of FINNISH WINTER

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Trent posted:

I assume it's a colorist fuckup because the art in this strip is usually solid and good, but what the gently caress is up with Hil's foot? Am I just seeing it wrong? It's upsetting to look at.

Stripey sock and a wool loafer? One of those weird bushy winter socks with stripes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Sphinxster posted:

That Moomin page is a hell of a cliff hanger.

Sure is. I remember being freaked the gently caress out by this story when I was a kid.

• Locked thread