Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Jesus christ it's easy to fall way behind on this thread, way too fast. Finally caught up.

Before I resume posting from my archive of John Darling, some interesting news:

I've been contacting some cartoonists, showing them some of the best edits we've made of their work.

Very positive responses from:

Kevin Frank! (of course)
Dana Simpson!
Paul Gilligan!
and Paige Braddock!

(well, I don't know what Paige's response actually was, but her assistant said "oh god, she'll love this".)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

CHAT LOG SNIPPETS (note that I refer to Dana as "Cr." as short for "Cartoonist" - it's based on something from an Iain M. Banks novel where an architect was referred to as 'Ar.')

<me> ah, Cr. Simpson! How do you feel about (good-natured) edits of _Heavenly Nostrils_ strips?

<Dana Simpson> I enjoy those.

<me> here y'go - http://imgur.com/dBtwpIu
credited to "Irish Joe" from the Something Awful Forums newspaper comics megathread

<Dana Simpson>
Hahahaha.

(...)

<me> _Raine Dog_ was an allegory, yes
but I'll leave that aside

<Dana Simpson> It wasn't really, but everyone misunderstood it as one.

(...)

<me> are you okay with being mentioned as a cartoonist who has no problem with her panels being mercilessly tampered with by the gang on Something Awful?

<Dana Simpson> If that's who I am, I own it, baby.

(...)

<Me> I'm reading the "Terrible Webcomics" megathread
someone described an awkward tonal shift as:
"It'd be like skipping forward a few years into heavenly nostrils and finding the unicorn and girl on the run after witnessing her dad murder her mom or something"
congratulations, dana. You've become the basis of analogies!

<Dana Simpson>
Hahaha!

(...)

<Me> serious question: how far ahead do you work?
like, Morrie Turner had a nine-month buffer

<Dana Simpson>
I've never been nine months ahead. Normally I try to be about six weeks up.
The reason I'm in reruns now is, the syndicate keeps making me do things to prepare for [REDACTED] and it ate up my buffer. I'm not supposed to talk about the details, which actually sort of annoys me.

(...)

<me>a particularly vicious edit of Heavenly Nostrils, by "Cricken Nigfops"
http://i.imgur.com/kuNyu0s.gif
enjoy!

<Dana Simpson> Oh, the Internet is sooooo clever. :)

===========

So there you go. I've given Kevin Frank all the edits we've made, and shown him the praise he gets here. Paul Gilligan loved the edit where Carmen asks how she can prove to Poncho that she really does like dogs, and Poncho holds up a pack of condoms. Paige Braddock's assistant appreciated, and said Paige would appreciate, the one where the girl from the '60s explains to Jane about what it's really like to have traveled forward in time 45+ years. "I don't know how anything works, I don't know what anyone's talking about, my parents are dead, my friends are all old and think I'm dead... oh, but phones are computers now. Hurray."

(Jane's response: "well, when you put it that way, it sounds like a bad thing!")

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

At long last, the return of John Darling!

When I fell behind last time, I'd gotten to the plot arc where John went to New York City to be a guest host on the Today Show.

Punchline of strip 1: John accidentally kills a dog.

Punchline of strip 2: John wants to gently caress Jane Pauley.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

In today's installments of John Darling, John is still at NBC, although he's wandered from the set of the Today Show to the set of Saturday Night Live.

Punchline to strip 1: John has an exaggerated view of his own importance. Notice that in both strips, Gilda Radner just stands there, frozen in a grimace, while men . Is it significant that she has no agency as a character? Even Miss Piggy spoke, moved, lashed out.

Punchline to strip 2: John accidentally says "Animal Farm" instead of "Animal House".

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Even still, he eventually gave up and married Gamma anyways.

Actually, I've been thinking about that. What if -- and this might be attributing too much subtlety to Brooke -- what if that's not what happened?

What if Bill gave up on Edna/Eva, and stayed in Europe with Martine, and got someone else to go back to America for him in his place because he thought Edna was waiting for him? A voluntary Don Draper routine?

And that's why he refused to see Edna for so long, that's why he claimed to have horrible memory loss, that's why he wasn't ever really happy with Edna, that's why ultimately Juliet seems to have found Bill's grave in France instead of in America?

God dammit, why do I know so much about 9 Chickweed Lane...

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

Huh?

Dethany's playing matchmaker. (Carl's a single father, I think.)

If you write, I will make it better.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Attitude Indicator posted:

how, is a much better question. This whole thing is completely impenetrable to me.

Seriously? You're not just humorously exaggerating your confusion because of distaste (and by analogy with Pibgorn, which really IS a largely unintelligible mess)?

Maybe it helps that I fell behind on the thread and therefore read large amounts of 9CL strips in rapid succession. Maybe Brooke's plotting is being obscured by having to chop it into three-panel installments (and being presented with Brooke's art and characterization and dialogue). The "It Happened One Night" delirium, for instance, might have been less insufferable if he hadn't dragged it out for so long.

Anyway, enough about the mess that is 9CL. How about the mess that was John Darling!!!

In today's strips, John has gone from wandering around backstage at Saturday Night Live, to a front-row seat. The special guest is Steve Martin.

Punchline to strip 1: John does not understand why a comedy program would have a comedian as special guest.

Punchline to strip 2: John has a grossly inaccurate understanding of his own ability; specifically, he thinks that a pair of Groucho glasses are enough to make him as funny as Steve Martin.

edit: better quality image

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 30, 2014

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Eschers Basement posted:

Also - am I the only one who finds the caricatures in John Darling creepy and weird? They're so detailed compared to the rest of the comic, and the big heads on small bodies just really is off-putting.

Really? You find these off-putting and creepy and weird?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Pastry of the Year posted:

I like the art in John Darling; it reminds me of the art in Graves, Inc., which has been posted in this thread a few times and I also really like.

Please post more grimy, rumpled-looking 70s comic strips.

The day I bought the John Darling collection, I also picked up a late '70s Tank McNamara album. I'll see what I can do about scanning those also.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Pentaro posted:

Liz from Garfield lost her vet license and now has to work as a waitress.

It's Tina.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

goatface posted:

That is the joke.

Yyyeah, I realized that after I posted. Sometimes the joke just goes over one's head.

Speaking of jokes literally going over someone's head, here's JOHN DARLING.

In the first strip, John is still in the studio audience for Saturday Night Live. This strip was published in July 1979, during the summer break after SNL's third season, but before the beginning of the fourth (in October of that year): the gag of superimposing witty comments over shots of random audience members ended after the third season.

The caption superimposed over John is a reference to Certs candy, and their advertising slogan which claims that it is "two, two, two mints in one".

In the second strip, John is going to a thinly disguised Studio 54.

Punchline to strip #1: [not applicable]
Punchline to strip #2: John hopes that his meager fame will be enough to earn him access into a very popular and exclusive discotheque/nightclub, only to learn that he has missed the peak of its popularity.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 31, 2014

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I've decided to try slicing the scans in half, so that it'll display easier and I won't have to mess around with reducing the size.

In today's John Darling, John goes into the thinly-disguised Studio 54, even though last strip, he discovered that it is no longer popular.

The man to John's right is a Shriner, whose presence indicates that the club is no longer exclusive. "Jackie" is Jackie Kennedy, who in the late 70s was kind of a fashion icon. "Farrah" is Farrah Fawcett, actress and sex symbol who eventually died of anal cancer. I'm not sure who "Lisa" is.

Punchline to this strip: John does not understand People magazine's editorial strategy of reporting on things that are popular as opposed to unpopular.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 10, 2014

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

What? Brooke must've been drunk.

Panel 1: Edna asks Amos a simple conversational question. Amos replies in a way that sounds polite but makes no sense whatsoever.
Panels 2 and 3: Edna's expression reveals that she is now very annoyed by Amos's monkeycheese randomness.
Panel 4: Amos revels in having been an annoying little poo poo.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

Oh. Well. Let Max figure it out. What mouse worth his salt can't navigate a sewer? Then just go the opposite way because this is Max we're talking about here.

Cats aren't that cooperative.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

When last we left JOHN DARLING, he had discovered that Popularity Isn't Forever, even in New York City.

Now he has left the decrepit unpopular remains of Studio 54 Club 72, and gone to sit on a park bench. Alone. Late at night. In New York City. In the late 70s.

Punchline of today's strip: John is the victim of violent crime.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

sweetguts posted:

"bad things" could range anywhere from tacit encouragement for alcoholism and drug abuse to extortion to ritualized sexual assault to group suicides. Heaven's Love Thrift Shop doesn't gently caress around and continues to be A Good Strip.

Dag's excitement about the topic is pretty spot-on too, I love learning about cults but it is kind of inappropriate to be all "NEAT!!!!" about something that has ruined the lives of many people who were just searching for a place to belong.

I showed Kevin Frank some excerpts of the comments made in this thread, including the notion of Wilson being a hippie; here's his response (with permission).

Kevin 'A Good Cartoonist, In More Ways Than One' Frank posted:

I'm afraid that strip was somewhat over-indulgent on my part. It's my own story. I was part of a Jesus Freak community back in the 80's (though it still looked the 70's there). It was very controlling and no-one got paid (or health insurance or Social Security payments). Some of the best times of my life were spent as part of the group, but some of the worst too.

Anyway, in the last year a number of children who grew up there have come forward with allegations of sexual abuse that was covered-up by the leadership. So I have been processing my experiences and part of that process was this cartoon. In hindsight, HTLS was probably not the right place to work out my own issues. Though I do like Wilson being an ex-hippie (but he should be a lot grayer by now!).

Thanks again, and my apologies to the SA readers who were confused by this one.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

the Dustin team. Or maybe Batiuk.

Which brings us to today's installment of JOHN DARLING!!!

When we last left John Darling, he was in New York City, being mugged at knifepoint.

Punchline of today's strip: John is so egotistical that it interferes with his survival instincts.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 12, 2014

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

Somehow I expected better than a cliche gender stereotype punchline.

It's Holbrook. [GENDER] has [CHARACTERISTIC].

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Howard Beale posted:

When Thurber worked at the New Yorker in the 30s he drew all over his office wall. When the New Yorker moved its offices from 43rd (across from the Algonquin) to the Conde Nast building, they took the wall with them.

Speaking of New Yorkers and walls, here's JOHN DARLING!!!

When we last left John Darling, he was in New York City, up against a wall, being robbed at knifepoint. This continues today... but not tomorrow. I don't know if the syndicate told Batiuk & Armstrong that the Violent Crime arc was getting depressing or what, but from what I can tell, this particular arc was never revisited. (Today, of course, John would have constant PTSD every time he saw someone use cutlery.)

Punchline of today's strip: John is vain.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

The Sphinxster posted:

Those headlights look like boozles in that first Luann. They'd be more at home swirling around Inspector Danger.

You know what else had swirling lights? Disco, in the late 70s -- setting of John Darling!!!

Punchline of today's strip: Networks will do stupid poo poo for ratings.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Aardmania posted:

In case you were wondering what the thrilling conclusion to the John Darling mugging week was...

(This one was cropped by the newspaper archive)

The strips after that had him leaving the Today show and returning back home.

Aw, no strip when he's holding the mugger's severed head and chatting with it?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Get bent, Holbrook.

You know when else people could get bent?

In the '70s, when they were disco dancing, as is the plot in today's installment of JOHN DARLING!

When we left off last time, we had just discovered that the network was willing to do all sorts of stupid poo poo in an attempt to boost ratings -- in particular, they were attempting to combine news with disco.

Today's punchline:

the network's attempt to combine news with disco is going poorly.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

sweetguts posted:

the Jock is probably the least awful character in Intelligent Life.

Speaking of jocks, you know where else people talk about sports? In TV newscasts, like they have in JOHN DARLING!

In today's installment, we abandon the "Disco News" plot -- not because the syndicate didn't like it, but because the book publisher decided to jump from August to February. Instead, here's a sportscast.

(There was never an NBA team called the "Stilts", of course.)

Punchline for this strip: sportscasters use figurative language.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

"He's doing that thing like a smirk, but with both ends of his mouth turned up. There's gotta be a name for it."

A member of the Funky cast is dancing with joy! Will the Earth swallow him as a cosmic corrective or will we have to settle for something snapping his inexplicably birdlike ankle?

Because it just wouldn't be Batiuk without characters suffering in misery and desolation, would it. Or would it? Let's have a look at JOHN DARLING to find out!

Punchline to today's strip: misery, desolation, and mental illness.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Midnight Moth posted:

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Usually you just serendipitously stumble upon one already built and activate it.

You know where else the mass media grotesquely misrepresents Big Science? In JOHN DARLING!!!

John and his guest are talking about the nuclear accident at Three Mile Island, Pennsylvania.

Punchline to today's strip: a combination of "nuclear reactors are just like nuclear bombs" and "the government is unprepared for emergency situations". I think the implication is "five sixths of the island would have been obliterated". The island isn't three square miles in size, though; rather, it's three miles downriver from a nearby city.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

ukonvasara posted:

"Ever neat"?

"I just saw Gordon's new Optimus Prime, and is it ever neat!"

Lynn wrote this strip in the early '80s, when language was slightly different. Not to say she didn't get it slightly wrong, though.

Hey, y'know what else was set in the early '80s and late '70s, when the language was slightly different, and yet got many things slightly wrong? JOHN DARLING!

In today's installment, John is still interviewing a Nuclear Regulatory Commission dude about the Three Mile Island mess.

Punchline to today's strip: government bureaucrats don't care about ordinary people.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Howard Beale posted:

Laugh all you want, but someday that boy will be banged by a Burber in a balloon over Brussels.

... you sound like Brooke. I'm so terribly sorry.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

EasyEW posted:

And the Burber babe's banging blocked the boy's belly burbles.

"Belly burbles"? Bah! "Borborygmi" !

Kennel posted:

A C&H strip I don't remember! :wth:

Me either. Where are you getting these? Could... could Watterson be secretly doing fresh strips and sneaking them into the archives? :tinfoil:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

RandomFerret posted:

Poncho looks like he's really enjoying the frisking in that third panel. Like, really enjoying it.

He's a dog, being patted all over his torso. How else should he react?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Green Intern posted:

I really hope the new king is an ENIAC-style computer :allears:

Hey, y'know when everyone's image of computers was ENIAC-style monstrosities? In the '70s, setting of JOHN DARLING!!!

In today's strip, John has gone to Hollywood (because the book publishers didn't care about keeping the strips in order or retaining any of the running plot arcs). Specifically, he's at TCL Chinese Theatre (which, at the time, was known as "Grauman's Chinese Theatre"). A common practice at Grauman's/TCL is to have select celebrities leave their handprints, footprints, and signature in a slab of wet cement; tourists can admire these, and compare the celebrities' footprints to their own.

Punchline of today's strip: John thinks that the similarity between his feet and those of noted actor and director Robert Redford indicates that he is as talented as Redford, and will soon be as famous.

Hidden punchline: As of November 2014, Robert Redford has never participated in a cement-slab memorial ceremony at Grauman's/TCL. There is no slab with Robert Redford's footprints.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

Welp. I dunno :wtf:. We can only hope this ends this "Inception-like" plot.

Chelle found Rachel, the woman for whom Virginia (Chelle's mother) named her. Since this is Jane's World, I'm going to assume that Rachel and Virginia were in a relationship at some point and then split up.

I'd find it intensely uncomfortable to name one's child for one's ex, particularly if the ex and the child were of the same gender.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

coronatae posted:

This is the first time I've seen the Big Shirley strips and they're so :kimchi: When I was Alice's age my aunt had a big German shepherd that was a total softie and loved kids but I was still scared of her in about the same way. I love the way she's drawn too-- a big dark vaguely beast-shaped thing!

holy poo poo

you're right, Big Shirley looks like a kid's-eye view of a GERMAN SHEPHERD.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

IF IT'S THE MIDDLE OF WINTER, WHERE'S THE drat SNOW.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Uh, isn't that literally what "disbanded" means? A band of people (not necessarily musicians) stopped being together?

Anyway, Batiukery. Remember that "John compares his footprints to those of Robert Redford" strip I posted last time? A tiny detail you probably didn't notice was that it was dated 9-10. Which means that this installment of JOHN DARLING is from 9-11.

Punchline of today's strip: John is a vandal. Also, John considers himself to be Robert Redford's equal -- one might even say he considers himself the twin to Redford's towering celebrity.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

... did Brooke just post a strip in which someone is terrified by a gaping Brookemouth? Could he be more aware than we thought?

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Why the hell would anyone want to know more about Ed Kudlick? It would just be digging a well of horrible awful things, like how he donated your entire college fund to the Republican Party's reelection campaign.

On the one hand: blackmail.

On the other hand: did Ed just tell his children "your mother only lets me gently caress her when she's drunk" ?

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"She was manipulating us! She was unconsciously making it happen!"

Okay, I admit it: I smirked. Although it seems significant that even when Lester is mildly funny, he still produces poo poo comics.

(Also, the comic is predicated on the assumption that dogs have thumbs.)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

goatface posted:

Why am I thinking about it this much?

Because we all spend too much time thinking about newspaper comic strips, be they wonderful or horrible or completely incomprehensible.

For instance, that recent Dustin that I commented on -- the one where Ed says that his favorite drink is Helen's third margarita? The expression shared by Dustin and Meg is far too horrified. The revelation that Helen has a drinking problem should result in a sad but understanding nod: after all, the woman lives with Ed Kudlick. So what is causing that stunned horror that makes them look as if they've been smacked in the back of the head with an aluminum baseball bat?

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 1, 2014

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's because their dad is talking about his sex-life Para.

:thejoke:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Nenonen posted:

...throw them into a swamp for archeologists to uncover after our civilization is long gone?

Lynn Johnston might well have thrown her children into a swamp for archaeologists to uncover centuries later, yes.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Okay, Emmy Lou and her friend have to be a couple at this point.

I have to wonder, though - did Taffy ever have any dialogue? Or was it just "sigh" (like it was here)? I guess things were different back in the 70s -- which was, after all the era when JOHN DARLING was published!

In today's strip: John and his director are watching a live taping of an episode of the then-hugely-popular sitcom Happy Days. The men in the second and third panels are actors Ron Howard and Henry Winkler.

Today's punchline: Happy Days was on the air for so long that, in later seasons, Ron Howard could no longer convincingly portray a teenager.

Edit: interestingly, although the crux of this strip is "facial hair lol", no facial hair is visible.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (March 12-13, 1926)

"Oh, I live under the viaduct down by the vinegar works."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqlXREqSJhE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I initially perceived that as a toilet joke.

I've been catching up on the old "terrible webcomics" megathread, and, well...

• Locked thread