Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

What video is this from again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

abraham linksys posted:

Oh man, NoLimits Coaster Sim 2 is out. It's basically the Railworks of roller coasters, and the editor looks like this:

On one hand, I really want to see a Quick Look of this, on the other hand, I don't think there's crash effects for coasters so I don't think the crew would get much use out of it :(

What the gently caress is the point?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Sim City is a bad game even without the bullshit online stuff, just get 4 for a fraction of the price.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

When that game introduces every other mechanic like sprinting et c and it's buttons, except for lock on, you can't blame people for thinking you can't lock on.

Can you? Because it's literally the same button as it is in most games.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Why did they not put a tutorial in the pause screen to say that 'switch screen' means switching screens???

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Remember when this man said he had panic attacks about the future of not just himself but of the entire site he works for because he didn't get an invite to a Sony press event?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Why would you even think that?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
AC Liberation is my favorite one because it made a bunch of dumb racist nerds have meltdowns about a black lady killing white guys.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Remember kids the plight of the natives was brutal and unjust, unless you really needed that extra fur resource.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Iraqouis man makes deals with and helps out white settlers, which ultimately leads to the destruction of his people? :raise:

Actually pretty loving apt if you ask me.

But he's not making deals, he runs that settlement thing, he's actively choosing to gently caress his brothers and sisters to get some extra pelts. It's not some grand commentary on how lovely the white man deals were, it's Conner being terrible and no one really acknowledges it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's almost like new games of any note never come out this soon after the holidays and such and yea for another month or so poo poo's gonna be dry, like every single year of games ever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

There were two significant releases last week, one of which was reviewed by Alex but no video was done. And they missed a ton of games last year that they could do QL's of now.

Giantbomb always seems to be backloaded though, with content really hitting starting on Wednesday. Part of why I liked Ryan doing stuff like I Love Mondays.

You should email them, I bet you'll get a job as new head of productions or whatever because I'm positive they have never thought 'hm could we do a QL of an older game we missed'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
In a less lovely toned version, Banner Saga most likely will get done but to be honest turn based grid combat is a little dull to watch so it could be reasonable that they're taking that a bit slow, and Broken Age is a pretty story heavy game and those are always a pain to make videos of because of spoilers and poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Daius posted:

I agree, Daily Dota is not nearly daily enough

Demand Daily Double Dota.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Popy posted:

Arcades are wierd. Why would I go to a arcade, and pay to play MK; when I could sit on a comfy couch and play it for free on my Genesis.

1) It's fun to meet up with friends and play games together.

2) The dude who's not playing any games sitting by the darker corner of the arcade with the busted pinball machine? He will sell you drugs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Another Person posted:

Were arcades really such a hotbed for low level drug deals? I'd never really heard that much until now. Haha, that sounds crazy.

Lots of dark corners and kids who think hardcore drugs is a dimebag.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tae posted:

Also dumb "they're not making enough content like they used to" when Octodad is probably the most mainstream release this week.

Yea this is what I never understand. People do grasp that a site like GB gets as much content as is in relation to video games right? Like, yea poo poo's gonna be dry till the end of the month, that's how it always is, until late Feb/early March ain't poo poo coming out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Liquid Penguins posted:

If your game can't get on steam it is a bad game. Sorry to break it to you indie developers.

It's actually usually because you're not blowing the right desk jockey that happens to look at your game before it gets auto sorted into trash because Steam has some legit issues with its approval process.

They tried to fix it with Greenlight but pure mass community voting is a terrible system because look at that trash.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

t3h z0r posted:

He coould've meant the art design of the opening "Only you can saaaave meeeee!" VR insanity segment. Like they said there's about 3 art styles going on in the game.

The munchkin character art of the battle screen is one of the cooler I've seen recently. And the maps look great. Definite throwback to tactics, and infinitely better than the rococo bishounen mess the FF series has turned into.

Yea I love Bravely Default but the art style has a little meshing problem and the opening AR part was just insane.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chainclaw posted:

Bravely Default looks interesting, but the last JRPG I picked up on the 3DS was pretty frustrating. Does Bravely Default have the same horrible pacing and need to grind heavily as Shin Tensei Megami 4?

It's grindy but the ability to turn random encounters up to double and then down to zero really makes it faster.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

BD looks like a regular-rear end JRPG.

It's a classic JRPG, in that it's basically JRPGs from like fifteen years ago. It's the JRPG version of the 'retro style puzzle platformers' and all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cityinthesea posted:

I like how you guys lambast polygon until they have a review you think a game should have :v:.

Yea that review was actually kinda lovely but now Polygon is agreeing with a circlejerk so they're a great source.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The REAL Goobusters posted:

13 did really well but 13-2 I believe sold half of what 13 did and in japan at least, lightning returns sold half or less than 13-2 did. I'm just happy everyone finally realized this series was total trash and that square Enix needs to get their poo poo together.

Except the budgets were vastly different between XIII and the rest because, ya know, one had to be made from scratch. They both turned a pretty healthy profit and LR seems on track to do the same.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I legit can't tell if Stick of Truth seems good or not. Like, I like South Park, I like RPGs but I legit can't tell if I want this still.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea if anything at this point the Obsidian brand is what makes me most preorder shy.

Still I'll most likely wind up getting it, I like how Brad described things, I love Paper Mario style RPG poo poo, and I'm a fan of the show so it's basically geared to me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Trying to lump in Bronies into nerd culture. Cool.

What the gently caress does this post even mean, define nerd culture please.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo they better not spoil the ending of Planescape Torment I was JUST GONNA play it!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fallom posted:

I demand a commercial for a product aimed at large businessmen.

The return of Big Jeffery?!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alouicious posted:

Those scenes were hilarious because of Rosemary's uncanny ability to summon dramatic piano music from the ether

YOUR ROOM HAD NO POSTERS, JACK

That, everything with the MGS4 gun dealer and his sick rear end monkey, and Para Medic's adorable sperging about movies and kaiju and poo poo were some of the best things in videogames period.

I love the MGS series, it's one of my favorite series of games, but yea the trend of 'EVERYONE MUST BE LINKED WITH DESTINY' was terrible, and Kojima has said he hates it. Hell the entire ending of MGS4 was supposed to be Snake and Otacon turning themselves in for their super long list of crimes against humanity and poo poo, and then getting straight up killed by the state, but he got steamrolled by his own people to add in the terrible "AND EVERYONE LOVES SNAKE AND ARE ALL BFFS FOREVER AND BIG BOSS GIVES HIM A BIG OL DADDY HUG" extra end after the legitimately good 'snake with a gun in his mouth on the grave' scene fades to black. It's kinda hilarious that MGS has almost become out of Kojima's hands at this point.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Timett posted:

I always figured Kojima was like a George Lucas type in the video game industry in that he's had a lot of success to the point that everybody just goes along with whatever he says now. If what you say is true I'm completely off base!

Yea don't get me wrong Kojima has done some stupid poo poo that's all him, but there's definitely a faction in his company that seems to convince him that the darker, but more solid, things he wants to do won't sell. Like the MGS4 thing, that would have been a grim way to end the game, but at least it's solid closure on the characters and miles better than "Big Boss shows up to ruffle Snake's hair and tell him good job sport like a good father".

I'm still fairly sure he was the one behind the weird Otacon's dad thing, and the lovely "I lied about losing the baby for reasons because I'm Rose and I'm terrible I guess", so it's not like his hands are clean in stupid rear end MGS moments.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm watching the P4 endurance run again and totally forgot how amped Jeff got for Teddy's bear puns.

"Things are un-BEAR-able"

"HA HA!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

cronox2 posted:

Including Fuuka?

No one acknowledges Fuuka.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Overbite posted:

Laura Bailey is good when she's not trying to sound tough. I don't like her breathy tough girl voice.

Yea she seems to think 'tough girl' means like, half winded and half trying to sound sexy, and it feels really weird. Like if a lady was trying to get you in bed after running a 5k. She's good any other time though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Swagger Dagger posted:

I don't really see how that's much different except the cultural references are ones you're familiar with instead of japanese.

I'm pretty sure that was the joke.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I've only just started Persona 3(Just got Fuuka), and beyond that and about 1/3 of the Persona 4 LP, I barely know anything about Persona. What was so bad/different about Persona 1?

1 and 2 were basically normal JRPGs which at the time they were made meant EXTREMELY slow combat and a generic plot with not a ton to do between boss fights.

It was in 3 when the high school life management aspects came in, and social links (I think?) and other things that make Persona what we think of now, as well as generally had more interesting writing and characters and the like.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Human posted:

I wouldn't say that the storyline to any of the Persona's was standard jRPG fare. I mean, Persona 1 wasn't great, but it was pretty rare to play as contemporary highschool students in a bustling city.

Fair point I forgot how rare modern/vaguely cyberpunk themes were in JRPGs, yea the stories weren't great but even in 1 and 2 they were trying new things, and that's good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea he could find a lot of actual terrible anime, playing up a big dramatic "OH MY GOD A TALKING BEAR FUCKIN CRAZY JAPAN RIGHT GUYS HAHAHA SO WACKY THAT BEAR IS TALKING BEARS DON'T TALK Y'ALL" thing was really weird.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Daius posted:

Winnie the Pooh is my favorite Anime.

Edit - Stepping away from being ironic for a second, Persona 4 had a talking bear that ended up growing a human adolescent within the void inside it by doing loads of push ups. I'm pretty sure I don't remember Vinny and Jeff's reaction to the character of Teddie being "Wow, so Japan guys! Talking Bear!".

I've been watching the ER again lately actually, their reaction to Teddy was basically 'that's weird' and then Teddy's situps to become human was basically "HOLY poo poo THAT RULES TEDDY IS HILARIOUS NOW" also Jeff loved the bear puns.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Captain Internet posted:

Souls games, noted for their Cryteklike dedication to cutting edge graphics to the detriment of gameplay.

The Souls games actually look really good and had way better atmosphere than brown smudge filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
People who bitch about cursive not being taught are basically saying they're mad our already poo poo school system doesn't waste time teaching calligraphy that barely any of the students will have any use for. I'm real sorry about the modern world changing, y'all.

• Locked thread