Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

SeraphSlaughter posted:

Is it a terrible idea to mix in Monster Manual 1 monsters with Essentials (I have the Threats to the Nentir Vale book)? I'm running my first 4e campaign starting this Sunday, and my possible party of 6(!) is going to wake up in a kobold prison; when they get outside, they'll run into a few more kobolds arguing with some other group of humanoids about how much to pay for the prisoners. I'd be using some lvl 1-2 enemies from the Nentir Vale for the negotiating party, and the kobolds from MM1. I can re-do the kobolds with MM3 math probably, but at first glance, having the kobolds be a little harder to bring down, even though they do less damage, seems like an interesting encounter mashup?

There is a reason why MM3 math replaced MM1 math. Creatures with lots of HP that do small amounts of damage do not make for interesting encounters, they make for boring slogs. Please do not use pre-MM3 monsters without converting their stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

fatherdog posted:

What's that from? It doesn't show up in compendium.

I believe it is functionally the same as the Pack Outcast Theme, which would also be a good choice for a Werewolf-esque character.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

killstealing posted:

I haven't hybrided in 4e yet but this sounds very interesting. Would I start with a Pixie Warlord and then multi into Artificer?

Multiclassing is different than Hybriding. Hybrid Characters are build that way from the start, and are considered to be each class, but only get a subset of class properties from each class, and, to simplify it, switch off each level which class they take powers from.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

P.d0t posted:

Couple questions:

Would you rather play in a game that is limited (including feats & equipment) to:
a) PHB1
b) HoFL & HoFK

Secondly, how did 4e Encounters work? Was it pregens only, or were there criteria/limitations for building your own? If so, what were they?

I think it was "suggested" that your characters be built with the latest handbook that had come out, or stay in Essentials once those came out, but I never had any issue bringing in whatever character I wanted, as long as it was character builder legal, and it's not like the DM was checking anyway.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Rain of Steel does indeed do everything you'd normally do on a damage roll besides your ability score damage. Anything that requires an attack roll doesn't trigger, but it is a power with the weapon keyword and you are rolling for damage, so everything that would normally apply still does.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Replace D20s with 3d6. Same average roll (10.5), much less swing. Critical hit if you get at least 2 6s, automiss if you get 2 1s.

The math on this seems off to me. I believe the probability of rolling at least 2 6s is 16/216, or 7.4%, a decent bit more than the 5% base crit chance. Similarly, the probability of rolling at least 2 1s is also 7.4%. Based on the anydice numbers, the probability of rolling at least a 16 is 4.63%, the same as rolling at most a 5. Seems like those would be better values to use: 3-5 is a automiss, 16-18 is an critical hit. 15-18 is 9.26%, which is close enough for 19-20 crit ranges, and 14-18 is 16.2%, which is a fair amount off of the 15% crit chance of 18-20, but since it gives such simplicity of the rule, seems worth accepting. Any reason to complicate things with the other rule?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I played a Brawler Fighter here on the forums as Mr. T, and it was probably the most fun I've had playing D&D.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

My brother and his friends recently approached me about DMing a campaign for them. They are complete D&D neophytes. I've been out of the D&D scene for a little while, since the lead up to the launch of 5e, so I have a few questions:

1) I get to choose the edition. I loved 4e and haven't really looked at 5e. Is there anything about 5e that would make it better for beginners or should I just stick with the 4e I know? This would be for low level play. Obviously, I know what thread I am asking this in.

2) Is the Offline Character Builder still functional and available?

3) Is D&D Insider still a thing, for access to the Online Character Builder and the Compendium?

4) What is the best option for online play at this point? The players are all from different places across the world. I think the impetus for them trying to put this together was a Steam sale on Tabletop Simulator, but I've got know clue if that supports any edition of D&D. Is Roll20 a suitable alternative? I don't think I'll get buy in for Masterplan or whatever other ganky program I remember using back in the day. Being able to record the play session would be a plus, as I think they are wanting to put the sessions up on YouTube.

I've got some other questions but I'll ask those once I figure out how to proceed with these first ones. Thanks!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

You know you want to be a Pixie Brawler. They get to grapple people in their own square!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

You take a feat, you get a benefit, and then you can take the other classes Feats and Paragon Paths/Epic Destinies. If you want their powers, there are feats that let you swap your original class powers for powers from your multiclass.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

You can dual wield unarmed fists, or gauntlets / tanga(?).

My Brawler Fighter was a thinly veiled Mr. T copy called Krusk 'K.O.' Ordak. He pitied no fools.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Any dice you roll extra specifically because you rolled a crit do not get maximized. Any dice you would have rolled regardless (Hunter's Quarry, Sneak Attack, etc.) do get maximized.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

If I know 4e well, how easy is it to pick up Gamma World 4e?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

What are the good Level 1 Adventures? Rising Stones?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Unknown Quantity posted:

The only major problem part of controllers I feel are the ones that crap out numerical to-hit penalties and multi-target hard control. Which...is mostly limited to Wizard and Psion. Invoker I think has a burst Stun as a L1 daily but it dazes them, and while you can mitigate that, they tend to have to take a negative to stun something.

Hunters can apply -6 to hits in a burst if built "correctly".

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Why the scare quotes?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love drat Bugs, but the current discussion seems to be suggesting that huge penalties to hit is a non-positive thing.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

You can do it in the builder. Basically, all this hub-bub about "hybriding cleric is great!" comes from the fact that the designers forgot to take away this option in hybriding, allowing you to stack on this really good feature to any Strength- or Wisdom-based character.

Can you do it in the Offline Character builder? If so, how?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Sorry, misread, I thought they were referring to MC Cleric/Initiate of the Faith.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Mark of Warding?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Does anyone have a link to a good Rebreather Sorcerer build? The only one that appears to have been salvaged from the WotC forums has Levels 1-10 finished and then 10 pages of the OP saying they are too lazy to build out the rest of the levels.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

slydingdoor posted:

The classes that benefited the most from the massive system bloat are the strongest and most interesting.

I'd assume a good Rebreather build is the same as a good sorcerer build with Lightning Soul, The Society of Sensation theme, the two rebreather feats, and ones that buff the breath. In Paragon, put arcane admixture on it for thunder, take the thunder feats and buy some thunder resistance, and take Lightning Soul. I saw on reddit some guy used the Revenant race too for the immortality.

Here is the link to the build I was referring to, for reference: Machine Gun Breathing

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Eopia posted:

So how much information should players have both in and out of combat? Should they know AC and NACs for their enemies, HP? Should they know the DCs for things they want to use skills for before they decide to roll? etc.

Mostly asking because in the previous 4e campaign I played in our GM denied us all of this information, and at the every least not knowing our enemies defense numbers really slowed down combat until we managed to piece together what the target numbers were on our own in every fight.

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'd say give them skill check DCs if they have time to examine it, but only a rough estimate if they, say, want to break down a door during combat, and never any enemy stats. Maybe a rough estimate for one enemy defense score if they have a pertinent knowledge skill and want to spend a move action to roll for it

Since your concern is combat speed, just tell them everything. It super speeds things up if you know if you hit something or can determine that you have a much better chance to hit of you use a different type of attack, and that you don't need to blow your big attack on a minion or someone with only a few HP left.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Gotta slightly disagree there as when you're granted a move action instead of just movement, you can shift, crawl, run, use a power that's a move action... but yeah I couldn't really find anything that would prevent downgrading either.

He's playing a Bravura Warlord (as you may have guessed) and tries to focus on granting additional actions, but I'd actually say by now he's slightly reoriented himself towards movement, using Join The Crowd and Reorient The Axis to great effect. His most useful leader feature in my mind is actually Enlarged & Inspiring Dragon Breath, I guess if I do end up playing a Warlord I can already make a completely different one by not playing a Dragonborn.

Play a Taclord then, they play differently enough from Bravura Warlords but still fill your needs.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

Shields take up the Arm slot, right? I've never really messed around with shield builds but that's kinda discouraging, especially since I'm not seeing a lot of shield enchantments that are really very impressive. Fighters get enough shield-specific material that it's probably worth it, but it seems like you're better off taking a rhythm blade dagger in your off-hand (and a separate Arm slot item) or just going two-handed for a lot of other builds. I'm specifically looking at fighters and paladins at the moment.

Edit: also, any neat paladin builds/tricks? I like the double-punishment from champion of order, but other than that I don't know of many tricks. I tend to like baladins because that affords you greater power selection but I can be convinced to go in another direction. Also trying to decide whether to go sword and shield or two-hander.

Only magical Shields take up the Arm slot, otherwise they just take your Off-Hand.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Covok posted:

Now, I just want to play a Dragonborn Warlord who does Shouts by smoke signal.

Also, what make the best warlords?

Dragonborn make excellent Bravura Warlords, Genasi for Taclords.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Free Triangle posted:

Aren't spear and two handed expertise both feat typed bonuses, making them not stack?

The bonuses to Attack are Feat Bonuses, but the Damage bonus is Untyped, so they stack.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Maybe have misses deal Character Level damage?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

The Seeker is probably the worst class in 4e. It's the only class that can't actually do it's job.

Seeker powers are nice to pick up for Hunters, at least.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Moriatti posted:

Is there any real issue to letting a player character be a large creature? I can't think of any off the top of my head but there's enough stuff that floats around in 4e I could be mistaken.

It's a pretty big boon to a Defender at the very least, being able to be adjacent to/mark more things. Close Bursts will target more squares. Movement will be more difficult.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Can’t Half-Elf’s do Dex Primary shenanigans for E-Classes in Paragon?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Synnr posted:

Additionally, I wanted to skim the charop stuff I used to before, just to refresh my brain on any obvious traps or great choices for classes but I guess the wotc forum got deleted, did they get archived anywhere?

I’ve found this to be the best Char Op Guide backup: http://www.dyasdesigns.com/dragon_phoenix/

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Anyone have a good list of neat/interesting non-combat feats? As one would expect, there are tons of guides for combat-focused feats but nothing for non-combat.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I thought the Obsidian skill system worked nicely when I interacted with it as a player, not sure how much of a pain it is to run from the DM side, though.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

You could houserule some items based on the Tribal feats from Primal Power, where you get a base bonus, plus an additional bonus for each ally within 10 squares who had the same feat/item. Fearsome Host is one I’ve looked at before for my Paladin.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Lord Of Texas posted:

Anyone know of a good source for interesting tactical combats, either for inspiration or to lift verbatim? I'm running my new-to-4e friends through a campaign which is explicitly "light story, light role-play, heavy on tactical combat", so I'm not worried about adapting backstory or anything, just combats that are fun and dynamic.

Sorry, I forget the name, but there were the D&D4e one shots that they would run at the local comics and games shops, that, by virtue of being pick up games every week with new players, were mainly just 2-3 combat encounters strung together. I’m sure there are some gems in there that could be reskinned to match your game.

e: Living Forgotten Realms appears to be the name of the series.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 20, 2021

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Yeah, looks like Encounters is what I was thinking of

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Devorum posted:

Thanks. We're finally getting ready to start the 4E game my group asked for. Thankfully, I found the offline tools so that'll be a huge help.

Yeah, the real answer is to not play without the Character Builder. funin.space is also an invaluable tool to have on hand.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Expertise will be the big difference.

Let me know how it goes - I would be reluctant to cut them, no matter how much I hate them, because so many pseudo-class-features are wrapped up in them, and they can elevate some subclasses (like Str clerics) to par.

But I sympathize, and would love to hear how it works out.

They mention they’d still give the feat tax feats at least and using inherent bonuses, so the math should work out well enough. As you say, certain builds will be impossible to do without feats, so maybe you split the difference and give two feats per tier or something to cut down on some of the bloat without completely shutting down avenues.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

funin.space also works well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

girl dick energy posted:

I'm working on a 4e hack (aren't we all?) and I wanna reskin six Defenders, six Strikers, and six Leaders. Each can have some Controller mixed in, but I don't want any dedicated Controllers. Going purely by mechanics, what would y'all say are some of the best/your favorite classes? Bonus points if they're ones that have a reasonable power-level without needing to go too deep into CharOp (or if the needed CharOp can be baked straight into the class)? Specificity of flavor isn't a big deal, everything's getting reskinned anyways.

There are only really 6-7 in each of those categories to begin with, so you don’t have to cut too much (listed in order of my preference):

Defender
Fighter
Paladin
Battlemind
Swordmage
Warden
Berserker

Leader
Warlord
Cleric
Bard
Artificer
Shaman
Ardent

Striker
Rogue
Barbarian
Ranger
Monk
Warlock
Sorcerer/Avenger (I haven’t played these enough to have a preference)