Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
4-way tie between Heartless Summoning, Kiln Fiend, Birthing Pod, and Into the Roil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Samael posted:

Is there any other good rebecca guay cards I haven't found about yet?

Here you go.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
What a bunch of shameless dickheads, lol

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Extremely sweet cube vid by LSV posted today: http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-lsv-cube-draft-24/

Nearly mono-blue Opposition deck with really sweet Master of Waves/Tradewind Rider/Aether Vial/Teferi/Mystic Snake/etc shenanigans. In classic LSV style he draws nearly every good card he needs exactly when he needs them but that just makes an awesome engine like deck this one that much more fun to watch. Match 1 is especially brutal for his opponent.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Loving Life Partner posted:

Dunno if MURDERGOATS chat is discouraged here, but I threw the deck together on MTGO and its just ridiculously fun, and the synergy just makes for great moments.

Highlights so far:

Very first game, making 15+ tokens by like turn 5 because I had Pyromancer out and kept winning the Molten Birth coin toss.

Crashing a MODO game because I cast Akroan Horse after Purphoros and the game poo poo its pants.

Coming back against a white weenie deck with a 6/6 Phalanx Leader who sac'd a Heliod Ordeal and was at 36 life when I started the come back.

Just a really loving hilarious and fun deck, I love you guys haha.

Played my GB deck in tourney practice against a guy with murdergoats and I wanted to tear my face off once he assembled multiple Trading Posts up + recurring Ratchet Bomb for days.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

bhsman posted:

Yeah, Ratchet Bomb really gives the deck the ability to answer to things it couldn't before, like Illness in the Ranks/Pithing Needle (for Tymaret/Trading Post)/Chained to the Rocks, Detention Sphere/Unflinching Courage, and even opposing tokens like those from Advent of the Wurm.

Were you playing this game on MTGO or in a store? I'm impressed that it's spread enough to have goons run into it.

Was on MTGO. I've faced the deck in the tourney practice room a handful of times, so it's definitely out there in the ether. I have a version I copied from this thread a while back and bought the pieces for but haven't piloted it much outside of the initial 'oooh shiny new deck' factor but it's definitely a blast to pilot and piss people off with.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

OssiansFolly posted:

Because after FNM I want to go drinking...if I spend an over all 3 minutes per game writing down hands and play 3 games per match at 5 matches in a night I am effectively losing the equivalent of 2 beers being drunk or 45 minutes...and that isn't including my opponent. It speeds things up for everyone involved. It isn't a matter of being lazy...it is a matter of convenience. Everyone seems to confuse and combine the two concepts.

Not that I care to get involved in the weekly shouting match over writing hands down versus taking pictures of them, but it shouldn't take you 3 minutes per game to write down the contents of your opponent's hand even if you cast 4x Thoughtseize and 4x Duress every single game. 3 minutes is a really long time.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
LSV + Ben Stark is fun because Ben appears to have no sense of humor whatsoever and just gets buried under an avalanche of LSV trolls that he somehow utterly lacks the capacity to understand or play-off so he just gets mad and annoyed.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

C-Euro posted:

EDH grand melee

This sounds simultaneously awesome and like something I'd never even fathom wanting to participate in.

edit: when you say you can only affect people next to you, I get what that means for targeted effects and attacking, but does that also mean that global effects or wraths only affect your neighbors, too? seems like the only way it would make sense for there to be simultaneous non-overlapping turns happening at once, but also just seems...weird...maybe because I've never done it :shrug:

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 16, 2014

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Stinky Pit posted:

Yup. They looked so different than anything else you were going to buy at that time. It's important to remember how Magic immediately transcended the local traditional games scene and found its way to middle school lunch tables. Kids we're buying booster packs at EB Games, we didn't know anything about DnD or Traditional Fantasy, we were living in a world of Frosted Tips and those metal ball necklaces, chains dangling from the empty wallets in our JNCO jeans.

Against the backdrop of the mid to late 90s, Magic was really unique looking and cool

I still remember standing as an awkward 11 year old with my mom at the entrance to the JNCO store at the local mall, having convinced my her I needed a pair after shamefully succumbing to peer pressure. Thankfully I came to my senses at the last minute and realized I was being a loving idiot and we turned away and never looked back.

This isn't magic-related at all and I didn't start playing til I was 25, but you triggered an extremely vivid memory.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I've always thought of Visions of Beyond as a great example of really solid recent artwork that is unique, striking, and just really well done.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 20, 2014

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Promoted Pawn posted:

I think it's much more likely the spike is coming from someone making a big bet on it being a breakout card at Richmond for some reason.

For what it's worth, also, Kibler also had 2 in the sideboard of his Big Zoo deck for the PT, and he just posted a video series for the deck yesterday on SCG. Given how every breath he utters seems to rock the MTG universe to its core lately, I could see some overzealous viewer of his being responsible.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

netcat posted:

Consecrated Sphinx is the dumbest possible card in multiplayer

Come back when you've played in a game where two different players had one out, then you can talk about dumb.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Just noticed Birthing Pod has finally jumped on the Modern staple price spike bandwagon. Started yesterday and continuing in force today. Been wondering why it was taking so god drat long to make this kind of move.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Promoted Pawn posted:

To be fair Pod has been under costed for a while now. This is more a correction than a spike.

Oh absolutely agree, I've been scratching my head for months and months wondering how it could be sustaining at <$5 for years now. I mean it's the namesake engine card for not one but two widely played variants of a mainstay Tier 1 Modern archetype for crying out loud. Finally can feel smug about the 20 copies I bought in the late summer of 2011 as the only successful speculative buy of my life.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Was LSV's Top 8 match on the coverage? I'm reading the recap and paused at the very first line:

quote:

Darksteel Citadel, Memnite, Mox Opal, and Etched Champion were the turn-one plays from Sigrist. It was a decent start, I guess.
Unless I'm missing something, that play is impossible, so...

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

UberJew posted:

It was on coverage and it was turn one. Sigrist went citadel, Memnite, Mox Opal tapped citadel and Mox Opal for 2 then played a second Mox Opal untapped and legend ruled away the tapped one for the third mana.

Cool, thanks. Had a feeling that might have been what happened but it's a noteworthy enough play that you'd think coverage wouldn't just gloss over that nuance of him playing 2 Mox Opals to pull it off.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

What a Judas posted:

Here's a better representation my weekend at Richmond.

Something about Relentless Rats and Mox Sapphire sharing camera time

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

What a Judas posted:

I traded in random crap to SCG and got credit, so I picked up the Mox, Delta, and Drain. I get so much stuff in random trades it's actually profitable to do this.

lol what constitutes $1,000 of "random crap"

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
So are the guys who give up those misprints knowingly undervaluing them in trades with you because they just don't care about them? From the sound of it you're making like close to instantaneous value snapping these kinda things up, which I guess surprises me.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Longshot007 posted:

Thank you for the quick replies! Final question, are there any good white or colorless cards I can use to draw more cards?

Yes!

quote:

Preferably ones that don't cost an arm and a leg.
Err, kinda?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

ScarletBrother posted:

Fact or Fiction probably wouldn't be too good for Modern, but I think it's probably too good for Standard, which would be the only way to get it in Modern.

Man, I'm so used to only seeing the modern border version of FoF that I never realized it was originally printed outside of Modern-legal sets in Invasion.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Isn't Sharuum always a fine default choice for a powerful, resilient, and degenerate EDH deck?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

The March Hare posted:

I'm not trying to win friends, I'm trying to win a competitive game of magic with an entry fee and prizes. I've been considering some kind of base blue mono-brown w/ combos deck or something. Maybe U/W just because I own some pretty sweet white cards -- mostly moat, which could be good in EDH I've honestly never seen it played.

Beyond Sharuum you could also try looking at some Azami, Lady of Scrolls lists for broke-as-heck mono blue shenanigans.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I personally think having all 3 gold blocks fully represented in a single Sealed pool more than makes up for any whining over crappy prize support or bad EV. I can't wait to build an utterly unplayable pile of 5-color shite and pilot it to an excruciating 1-2 finish!

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Froghammer posted:

What deck were you running that played Spiteful Returned?

Judging from that and Agent of Fates, his take on mono black aggro.

edit:

ScarletBrother posted:

Why didn't you just say "No thank you, I'm not interested."?

His "thing" is not being able to say "no" to playing games of commander he doesn't want to participate in

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 16, 2014

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

JerryLee posted:

I don't know about his history offhand but tbf he posted that the game of commander changed after he sat down to play it, and scooping up from a game in progress is more awkward than saying no to sitting down in the first place.

I'm mostly just giving him a hard time, but it stems from an argument in this thread over this post from like a month ago.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 16, 2014

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

What a Judas posted:

I love this Finkel story.

Can you paraphrase?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Elysiume posted:

Magiccards.info is infinitely better than Gatherer for quick checks anyway. It's way faster.

I've honestly never understood why anyone uses any card database other than magiccards.info, especially for quick checks. It's the best around by orders of magnitude and compared to freaking Gatherer, I mean come on.

Boxman posted:

"I love Legacy. Everyone sitting around playing 4 brainstorms like that's normal, playing other people playing 4 brainstorms. Hey,everyone wanna come over to my house, watch some TV, and fire automatic guns into the ceiling? Then everyone brings 4."

Why doesn't Chapin commentate every Open, again?

I'm worried that I love listening to him so much that now I don't want to see him play anymore when he could be in the booth instead. He's a godsend for commentary.

edit: also, brimaz in legacy? this here open!

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
"Badland is like the Scrubland of Legacy" loving love Chapin

edit: i know i'm really late on this since it's a replay, but watching the aluren player like walk the jund player through how he's able to fight through that punishing fire is just so amusing to watch. 'yes, you see, i do this, this, and this, pay life, you see? and then this in response...are you following? yes, and, now you're hosed, lol'. watching it done just in the context of the tops of their hands motioning and pointing while knowing exactly what each side of the table is saying/thinking just makes it even more entertaining.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 17, 2014

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Entropic posted:

Are you trying to say Legacy is cheap if you play it smart?

'cause rotation doesn't really help you with Underground Seas and Forces of Will.

No, he's saying that about Standard, in that it's impossible to get really badly price-squeezed unless you stubbornly insist on holding onto your soon-to-be-rotating Standard staples past the point where they become worthless for obvious reasons. If you trade intelligently and are willing to let go of your pet Standard deck in late spring/early summer, Standard isn't really that expensive to play and stay competitive in from season to season. Just manage your card pool intelligently and according to the format's painfully predictable patterns and seasonal swings.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Yeah, obviously valuing your time more than grinding through value-trades to mitigate your financial loss before every block rotation is a valid counterpoint. I was more just clarifying what Spiderdrake was saying and making the point that if you do really care about not losing tremendous value by playing Standard, it's not impossible and certainly doesn't require a crystal ball or superior trade skill from a financial perspective. The time and effort required obviously doesn't suit everyone's lifestyle by a longshot though and that's perfectly fine.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Zoness posted:

Okay thanks for actually defining the term which was what I was trying to get to - that is - to blast the term "non-interactive" for being nonsense as opposed to defending any kind of pet deck.

But What's so special about a board state that makes it only include permanents? I consider the hand, the stack, and life totals all important parts of a board state, and all of these decks interact with a board state by that definition.

By interacting with my opponent's life total I'm interacting with his board state.

I know this is from a few pages back but by golly I've never seen someone as deserving of their big custom red title as you, lol

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

En Fuego posted:

In apite of all it's shortcomings, I really love playing MTGO Cube. Just being able to draft insane Naya Aggro decks, and still get kept in check by awesome U/B decks. Lots of fun.

I think I want to try and force something stupid like reanimator, if given the chance.

I agree, cube is the safe happy place for me to play decks I never would otherwise. Saw a P1P1 Sulfuric Vortex tonight and got to go all-in on mono red and pulled it off. Most broken play was playing Siege-Gang Commander with Ogre Battledriver out for 13 hasty damage for 5 mana. Or burning a guy out from 7 life with Hellrider attack triggers + kicked Burst Lightning before his turn 5 Griselbrand had a chance to block and dig him out. Cube!!

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Snacksmaniac posted:

The second guy was me :smith:

Haha really? Griselbrand/Sneak Attack/Pentad Prism/Dark Ritual guy?

edit: I had by far the 2 most busted draws of the whole tournament against you in both our games, so I apologize for that

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 22, 2014

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Promoted Pawn posted:

It's also related to why the next block (Mercadian Masques) was so weak in comparison. Peter Adkinson (then president of WotC) called the Magic R&D heads into his office and threatened their jobs if Combo Winter 2 happened. They were intimidated enough that they went too far in the other direction and the block sucked by being too slow and bland. Fortunately Invasion came the year after and Magic was good again.

Just curious, where do you get to hear 'behind-the-scenes' gossip like that? Did Maro discuss that happening in his podcast? I've always loved hearing about that kind of stuff.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Snacksmaniac posted:

Hah yep. I misclicked a land round one ruining my turn 3 sneak. But my deck was really awkward. How did you end up doing?

Went 2-1, lost 3rd game of the finals to a UG deck that managed to race mono red with T1 delver, T2 flipped delver + Phantasmal Image copying it, T3 Serendib Efreet, T4 and onward beat me in the face repeatedly.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

MrBling posted:

Watching Efro lose never stops being funny. Such a poor loser.

What'd he do? He's always rubbed me the wrong way whenever I see him getting into some slapfight or argument over something extremely dumb on Twitter.

Also sad I missed all the cool Legacy shenanigans today :\

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
:lol: at the Core Crazy one. Predict exactly 0 players will enter that over the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Boy of Joy posted:

Unless I'm reading it wrong, it seems you don't know what format you are playing until after you enter the event.

Yeah reading it again it sounds like you're right, which stinks but I guess is in keeping with the "oh man WACKY april fools" theme. No one wants to draft all coresets though when those other sweet options are available :\

• Locked thread