Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
Blightning, because I built a poor man's Jund deck to play against my coworker back when we got into Magic again, just using cards from packs we bought at the Target near our office, and nothing made him rage harder than Blightning. Also I loved Terminate from Alara block, partly for the rules text and partly cuz that guy was freaking exploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Madmarker posted:

Heh, its crazy how good creatures have become, I mean, would people even run Wild Mongrel if it were legal in standard now?

edit-sorry for the double post

Wasn't the whole deal with Wild Mongrel that it was an enabler for madness or threshold or whatever was in Standard at the time? I don't think it was a ridiculous card on its own.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Boxman posted:

Edit: that being said, MURDERGOATS really is this forum's pet deck. People will talk about their builds all day round these parts.

MURDERGOATS and Breakfast Burrito.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
Garruk, uh, ain't looking so hot... :geno:

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Devor posted:

I don't think it works.

Bringing the Ratchet Bomb back to your hand means that it wouldn't be sacrificed, so its cost was never paid, so the Ratchet Bomb effect wouldn't happen, correct?

The reason that the Mangara / Karakas combo works is because exiling Mangara is part of the effect, not part of the cost. If Mangara read "Tap, Exile Mangara: Exile target permanent" then the return to hand shenanigan wouldn't work.

Feel free to correct me if I'm terribly wrong!

It does work in this instance since Trading Post allows you to sac a creature to return an artifact to your hand and the Ratchet Bomb would already be in the graveyard.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Zero_Grade posted:

Really they should just make one for all the walkers*. Toss in some oldwalkers/big names too (Jhoira, Jaya Ballard, Thalia, etc) and you'd have people snapping that poo poo up like hotcakes. Everyone knows nerds love their little collectible things - and these are even already based on a collectible game.

*except Tibalt, because nobody likes him.

Tibalt's visual design is kind of fun, he's just bad at being a card. :saddowns:

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

toadee posted:

Couldn't they just print a bunch of stuff, and not make broken cards, thereby having a bunch of availability, but not a huge ban list? It's not like making dumb broken cards has to go hand in hand with printing a bunch.

Not if their goal is to make everyone buy the new cards all the time because they are brokenly powerful and their previously broken cards are now banned.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Tharizdun posted:

Technically, Mistform Ultimus is a vanilla 3/3, and just has all 1200 creature types on its type line. For a practical application, Humility would make a creature with Changeling into a shapeshifter with no other types, while it wouldn't affect Mistform Ultimus other than giving it -2/-2.

Is it like the difference between the old "is indestructible" and the new "indestructible" ability? Like, one is just stating something true about the object while the other is an in-game ability.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

rabidsquid posted:

Would Nameless Inversion have the same effect on Mistform Ultimus as it does on Changelings?

Yes. They all have all creature types, it's only a weirdly technical difference in the reason.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

LordSaturn posted:

You should make it play the Manaless Dredge mirror.

Even better give it a Legacy Doomsday deck. I wonder if it would ever actually cast the spell.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Veyrall posted:

A land that dies to extremely situational removal will never not be funny to me.

I think the funniest situation is Devour Flesh against an animated Mutavault. Hope you're hungry for dirt.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

jhorphear posted:

Ok, lets see if this works, here is that altered image card I mentioned earlier

:nws:http://imgur.com/vvC2Vpd.jpg:nws:

Really should have changed the name to Sphinx Bone-Wand.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Count Bleck posted:

Still doesn't beat when my friend running GW Aggro kept a hand with 3 lands and 4 loxodon smiters because "I know he's playing monoblack."

And sure enough, turn 1 Thoughtseize. Pay 2, 4/4 for your opponent on turn 0.

Also, could I perhaps see your Bant Control list? I've been loving Prophet Bant but I feel like it's missing something.

I know it's a powerful play, but I still love when Modern Jund decks Lava Axe themselves to Thoughtseize an opponent on turn 1. I guess the only way it gets better is if it also puts a 4/4 into play for your opponent.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

TheLoser posted:

Quick question on rotation: When M15 comes out in July, will M14 rotate out with its release? Or is that postponed until Ravnica rotates out next fall?

M14 rotates out with the whole Ravnica block in the fall. The summer months are sometimes referred to as "super standard" because both core sets overlap.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Count Bleck posted:

It might be, aren't there Black Chroma cards and doesn't that basically use the same source?

There's one black chroma card and it only cares about the graveyard. :v: But if you're running a pauper/peasant cube with Gary then it might matter.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
New blue heroic guy + new Ajani ultimate + Sunbond = 20 extra turns! :buddy:

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
And anyway Ajani has pretty much always been about gaining life or rewarding you for having a lot of life.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Symphonie posted:

In fairness I think Mark Rosewater has mentioned on his tumblr he thinks it was a mistake that M14 Garruk was pure green, as that lead to the impression that he was cured of the Veil nonsense. The unwritten implication there is that at some point Garruk will receive a new card that reflects where he's supposed to be at in the lore.

Was his flip card in Innistrad meant to represent, like, the exact moment the curse took hold?

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Zoness posted:

Also keep in mind you can't play those spells until after combat, so burn spells and haste / pseudo-haste creatures lose a lot of utility here.

You lose utility but you gain card advantage so it probably balances out.

Seems like he's decent wrath insurance, too. If they clear your board and you drop him after they have one turn to deal or you're getting in there for new dudes or just more burn to the face.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Bugsy posted:

So what is the best zombie token?

Crying baby face: http://magiccards.info/extra/token/born-of-the-gods/zombie.html though technically this one is an enchantment creature. For "regular" zombie, this monstrosity from Shards of Alara: http://magiccards.info/extra/token/shards-of-alara/zombie.html

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Count Bleck posted:

I had this conversation with some of the guys at my LCS and while it would be great, it probably won't happen just because it makes those packs slightly fatter and is probably more work than they want to put out.

Tokens replace those rules cards that come in every pack anyway, though.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

vOv posted:

So if I take this green intro deck, which is awesome, and the black intro deck, which is awesome, and I combine them... that makes a deck that's EVEN MORE AWESOME.

Also we played 'fast Magic' where you could play as many lands as you wanted and always drew to 7.

We also did the free mulligans and play all your lands back in middle school. I think my favorite deck was a UW with Serra Avatar, Capsize and Angelic Chorus to have all the life. I mostly only ever played against one other guy and I distinctly remember the time he played Recycle with no other cards in hand and I had to tell him why that was a bad idea.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
I like how the templating is "Whenever equipped creature dies". I know the equipped creature is going to die quite a lot, but it makes it sound like the card anticipates the same creature dying over and over.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

BizarroAzrael posted:

What is the converted mana cost of a Bestow card when used as an aura? I'm thinking about my Heroic/Bestow deck against Eidolon of the Great Revel.

It's the number in the upper right, regardless of how you cast it.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Olothreutes posted:

Elspeth seems to be able to create life at will through her soldiers and whatnot but I guess that isn't quite such a big deal? It sounds more like they are a little stronger than the average person and can walk, but that's about the end of the differences.

Elspeth does that in the same way you (the player) summon creatures, which I guess is like using magic to create a copy of something that already exists.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
UR Counterburn with Purhporos, Faerie Impostor and Quickling. :v:

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Count Bleck posted:

It's like, babby goblin piledriver.

So yes, really good, I might want to start picking up pieces of Modern Goblins now.

Is Aether Vial still a thing that runs?

Babby Piledrive plus Goblin Assault on a stick.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Everblight posted:

Does Saruli Gatekeepers not put in work anymore?

Skullcrack? :shrug:

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Lord Of Texas posted:

Also, just thinking of Double Stroke or Iterative Analysis with Snapcaster Mage/Eternal Witness/Regrowth/etc... oof. Although, the clear Double Stroke name in any deck that has it is Cruel Ultimatum.

That's just a win more. Something like Double Stroke Hymn to Tourach is way spicier.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

forbidden lesbian posted:

Lightening bolt is my favorite card and I want it back in standard again :(

"Lightening Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature or player. A creature dealt damage this way gains flying until end of turn."

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Boco_T posted:

Today's Travis Woo draft video on CFB is an all-time legendary limited deck.

I can't stand his stupid voice. Maybe I'll see if YouTube has those automatic subtitles.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

jscolon2.0 posted:

Chandra and Lilianna are as bad in this category.

Chandra's not quite as smug; I think it's because most of the things she achieves victory over are no longer alive enough to gloat to.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Veyrall posted:

So, a while ago, someone was posting art from cards that they thought was really horrific or disturbing. Well, I just found a new one.

That is Sensation Gorger and I never realized Morningtide had such dark things in it.

He's doing it to himself on purpose though so it's okay.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Jenx posted:

This is such a sweet design, I want to make a pauper commander deck around this. Stuff it with fliers and unblockable stuff (is there even such things on common?), maybe some shadow stuff and just smash everyone's face with 4/1s.

Yeah there are a ton of (mostly blue) creatures at common with "can't be blocked". Throw in some Spreading Seas effects and you can include islandwalk and swampwalk.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
Maybe he just really hates hornets? Hornet Sting earned his ire as well.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
The flavor text on the blue one is pretty cute :3:.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Devor posted:

Does activating the Chain Veil before any Planeswalker loyalty abilities have been used work? It seems like it should, since the phrasing seems to create a 'special' activation that remains active on them, that would still let you use a normal one.

So you could either do:

Elspeth +1
Chain Veil
Elspeth +1

or

Chain Veil
Elspeth +1
Elspeth +1

however, it seems like multiple chain activations would not stack with each other before clearing out the effect by 'using' the special activation, which would necessarily be the second activation of the planeswalker. So you could get some feelbads from doing some Ral-zarek untapping/chain veiling before using up the other planeswalker special activations.

"For each planeswalker you control, you may activate one of its loyalty abilities once this turn as though none of its loyalty abilities had been activated this turn."

I think for each planeswalker it's creating a special activation you get to use once, at any point during the turn. So I think you have to use your "regular" activation before you use the special one, but you can use both after activating the Veil; you don't have to have used one before you use its ability.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
Can you get double uses out of your land mines with the new red legendary?

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Kurtofan posted:

Non-English cards having the same name happens all the time.
For example, Frenzy Sliver and Frenetic Sliver have the same name in French (Slivoide Frénétique), and they were in the same block.

Falkenrath Noble and Falkenrath Aristocrat had the same problem in Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I demand white goblins and/or zombies

Eventide's got you covered.

http://magiccards.info/eve/en/141.html

http://magiccards.info/eve/en/95.html

• Locked thread