Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

why did you link the William Shatner version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm not mad or accusatory i'm just wondering why he chose to link the William Shatner version instead of the Pulp version

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It's the better version.

okay now i actually am mad

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

How much money can Claremont possibly have?

Are all the artistic nudes of her taking showers in hallways?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Madkal posted:

I remember there was a panel ages ago where someone confronts a mad scientist and says something like " you could cure cancer or world hunger but instead you use your powers to create killer dinosaurs with lasers" and the mad scientist replies that he doesn't want to cure cancer or solve world hunger, he wants to create killer dinosaurs with lasers*. I'm pretty sure this way of thinking is the same for heroes.

*Not the exact dialog but the gist is the same.

remusclaw posted:

They don't want to cure cancer, they want to turn people into dinosaurs.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dr. Nemesis could cure every disease in the world but nobody wants him to because he'd never let them live it down

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

And as kind of an aside, has the Secret Wars event books been collected in trade yet? And I would like both the main story titles as well as all the weird off shoots (Battleworld, Deadpool's Secret Wars, Angela Witch Hunter, Planet Hulk, etc).

I know they've been collected in individual trades but I don't know if there's one big Warzones trade

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

i always liked those because in the comics they pretty much always were in some other dimension.

yeah that feels more like a running joke than trying to spackle over "why isn't anyone else trying to stop this"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

That would have been better than the third Summers we ended up with.

Adam-X The Xtreme would have been better than the third Summers we ended up with, which isn't saying much because Adam-X the Xtreme rules but still

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lobok posted:

It's not the most original because there are several characters who possess this power but the power of good luck always seemed very strange to me because their lives don't seem appreciably better than any other character despite being able to (supposedly) always win at life.

in Longshot's case, his luck power only works when he's using it for the benefit of other people so he can't really just make his life better through luck

everyone else though, they're balanced out by the terminal unluckiness that comes with being a comic book character. :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lobok posted:

This just raises more questions!

Like, is Longshot arguing with his X-gene over ethical questions? To paraphrase The Good Place, "this is why nobody likes moral philosophy powers".

Longshot isn't a mutant, he's from the Mojoverse. his powers work that way because Mojo thought it'd be funny/make for good ratings

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

he's also the clone of his own son, Shatterstar.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

"CPT"?

I'm sure it's nothing good.

colored people time

originally the panel in the middle of the last row had him asking if this meant he was allowed to say the n-word, which they didn't allow in the final printing but they also didn't rewrite her response so it's kind of disjointed

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

remember Counter X

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, yeah. Aren't those the books they gave to Warren Ellis?

they gave Ellis all of the non-mainline X books, but he wouldn't write them himself, he would write the story outlines for them and then other writers would script them.

they're uh, not so good

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

a conversation about Mr. X in the comicsgate thread reminded me and made me very thankful that nobody has made a pet character out of Tseng, a villain from Counter X-Force. He was the fuckin diiiiiiiiiiirt woooooooooorst.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Madelyn Pryor never really "came back" from being the Goblin Queen, did she?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wasn't there an announcement of a new Malibu Ultraverse with Gail Simone as architect like a year or so ago

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bessantj posted:

I quite like the Youtube channel 'Comic Tropes' and was wondering what other channels people like. I get suggestions for channels like TheQuatering which just seems like an alt-right channel.

Cartoonist Kayfabe with Ed Piskor and Jim Rugg, which started just as a series of videos going through issues of Wizard Magazine starting from the beginning but has since grown to include interviews, show and tells and discussions of things like the history of Akira

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Has Hank McCoy ever become likable in anything? Young version doesn't count, though I imagine he's still insufferable in that form.

beast is strange because he's really good in all of the cartoons and movies, but sucks rear end in the comics

like a reverse Storm

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

do repressed memories count as amnesia

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I think that's the story that broke the Comics Code Authority's stranglehold on approving content of comics. The Nixon whitehouse asked Stan Lee and Marvel to do an anti-drug Spider-Man comic, but the code didn't allow any depiction of drug use at all, even in a clearly negative fashion so the wouldn't approve the story so Marvel just said "gently caress it" and printed the comic without the stamp, retailers didn't care and the CCA shortly after loosened a lot of their content guidelines.

and then it still took until Milligan and the Allred's X-Force for the stamp to die out entirely

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Kinda of a broad question, but who among comic book writers have pet characters for the Big 2? That is, characters they love writing and get super-protective of that it's very transparent in their work? It could also be for characters they didn't invent.

The few whom I know are:
Warren Ellis - Pete Wisdom (self-insert with a hard-on for Kitty Pryde)

i've brought this up before on this forum but its still really funny to me that the very first thing that happens in X-Force when COUNTER X started was that Pete Wisdom shows up and convinces the entire team to abandon Domino and follow him and make him their new leader because he can teach them about the HARD TRUTHS and TOUGH DECISIONS of the world, and also because the team was grumbly about Domino making them train and learn how to fight hand to hand because they had just gone through a storyline where they lost their powers

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gail Simone also definitely likes writing Outlaw though I don't know if I would say it's to the point of calling her a pet character

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

another one I'd put in the "Creator is enthusiastic to use them when possible" category is Greg Pak and Amadeus Cho

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rick Veitch is a name I don't see brought up as much as it probably should be

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lobok posted:

Did the NotMontoya character in the movies end up a traitor or something? I'm fuzzy on the details but I feel like she did something bad.

she was one of the two dirty cops who kidnapped harvey and rachael for the joker or something, she was one of Two-Face's targets

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

my favorite is just the framed headshot of Shatterstar

i know that's supposed to be his sword above it but it's just off model enough that i choose to believe he just has a picture of Shatterstar on his wall

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Deadpool was only turned into a parody because Rob stole the Deathstroke design so blatantly that Fabian Nisceza felt the need to make him a parody to protect them legally, hence naming him Wade Wilson.

I think Fabian himself said that naming him Wade Wilson was an inside joke between the two that Fabian started because his design was so obviously close to Deathstroke until they decided to just make it official.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

I really did love the Azzarello New 52 run. All the Greek gods felt like distinct characters as they fought over Zeus’ place in the pantheon. And the dialogue is so drat crisp.

I’d recommend Earth One first though.

alright fine, I'll light the BrianWilly Symbol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alhazred posted:

At this point I'm pretty sure every Marvel hero has killed Hitler.

no but for real, Marvel give me a "The Marvel Universe Kills Hitler" miniseries that's like 4 issues of 1-page stories where every Marvel hero gets their own Hitler kill. You're allowed to fudge it with some of them, like have a page for X-Force Kills Hitler or Thunderbolts Kill Hitler where everyone on the team is killing him at once if you wanna tally off a few heroes at once.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I was thinking of that comic in particular when making that post, we've already got like 5 characters checked off, we just need the rest!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

My correcting you on a comic book fact isn't an expression of anger.

starting a text post that has no tone of voice or body language with "Bullshit" is a great way to get that across :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

He was a talent agent/manager and the red writing appeared on his skin (and I seem to remember he peeled a piece off and gave it out as a business card?). He was partners with a lawyer that had bat wings.

X-Statix was dope. Aside from Doop coming back, all of the other members are still dead, yeah? Aside from that Dr. Strange/Dead Girl mini.

there was just recently a one-off Giant Sized X-Statix special that ended with the announcement of a new series next year

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Allred on art?

Milligan and I believe both Allreds are back on it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't know if it's as simple as "Manga is outselling Marvel and DC", Manga is outselling Marvel and DC. According to Hibbs's Bookscan analysis, the calculated retail value of all of the manga sold through bookstores is about $36M. That means that manga accounts for about 22% of the comics sold in bookstores. "Western publishers" account for most of the rest, and Marvel and DC both only account for about 10% of that, so about $13M apiece. The total bookstore market for comics in 2018 was about $166,000,000 in retail sales.

Meanwhile according to ICV2, the total North American Comic market is around a billion dollars, most of which isn't covered in BookScan. The billion dollar mark is combining estimates from bookstores, digital sales, crowdfunding, the direct market, etc. so it's not entirely clear where all of this falls on the "Marvel and DC" vs "Manga" spectrum (a lot of it is neither) but one of the numbers we do know is that Diamond reported sales of about $517M in comics/graphic novel sales to comic shops in 2018.

Out of that $517M, the dollar market share (across comics and graphic novels) was dominated in comic shops by Marvel and DC, who combined to account for 68% of that $517M, or around $350,000,000. Viz was the top manga publisher, at 1.22%.

So on a pure "dollars made" level -- not accounting for value-per-page, number of actual readers, demographics of said readers, people sitting on stacks of unsold Doomsday Clock #1s, etc -- Marvel and DC both sold more comics individually through Diamond/comic shops than are covered on the entire Bookscan list.

Granted, far more individual copies of stuff like Dog Boy or Raina's OGNs were sold than any individual copy of a Marvel or DC book, so by that standard there are some comics (not manga, but not Marvel/DC) that are selling better than any superhero comics. But this is a complicated question of how you measure anything.

It's also worth noting in terms of industry trends that Manga has had some major ups and downs in terms of readership/market in the United States in the past 10-15 years and isn't some simple narrative of "more and more people are reading manga!" and the same can be said for 'real' book publishers getting into comics; Scholastic is killing it in terms of being the company that got Bone into the mainstream and they hitched their wagon to Raina Telgemeier's star but outside of those two people they have... Amulet sells pretty well, I think? There have also been a ton of "real publishers doing graphic novels!" pushes in the past 10-15 years, with some big successes and a whole lot of books that are now out of print and shuttered/combined imprints. A lot of the narrative here sounds like it's straight out of 2006 or something.

i dunno, this sounds like you did research, what if instead i just read this colin spacetwinks tweet thread that just confirms what i already thought was the situation?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ForgetMeNot ended up being a key puzzle piece of Si Spurrier's X-Force

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the answer is longshot as long as money isn't on the table or if he's doing it to help keep an orphanage stay open

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

No it isn't, they have numbers on the balls.

you can't always see the number on the ball! that's why they're colored in the first place!!!

kustomkarkommando posted:

I'm forgetting that about American pool - British pool is eight-ball with numberless red and yellows

is that what they call "snooker"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

prefect posted:

What if he's playing against Domino or the Black Cat?

according to Domino's narration in one of the last issues of her solo series, when multiple probability-based supers get together their powers bounce off each other in unexpected ways that causes things to veer wildly off course so nobody wins