Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Snak posted:

Yeah, this show takes place in a world where 1) Serial Killers are an epidemic, and each kill at least a dozen people, and 2) Psychology is magic, and can accomplish anything from mind control to forcing people to believe they are other people.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Hannibal: Psychology is Magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Highly Unnecessary posted:

I think the most disturbing thing in this episode was finding out Abigail's ear was cut off while she was still alive. Hannibal why :(

"What I found of Abigail was cut off while her heart was still beating."

This honestly surprised me, too. I thought Hannibal would have let her die first given his almost paternal relationship with her. But it seems, like all his other victims, he had to mutilate her first :(

Also Will's lawyer is the best new character I've seen in ages :allears:

I can't believe this is only episode 3!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

No More Toast posted:

I just noticed this tweet by Fuller.

Assuming he isn't just laughing at us because it's Hannibal, any ideas? The only thing I can pick up on is that the hoofbeats in the stag sequence are out of time with the movements of the actual stag, and maybe a bit too close together?

Bryan Fuller is probably a better person than I am, because if I was in his position I would hint at all sorts of crazy theories that aren't true.

To me the hoofbeats sounded almost like high heel shoes.

Alana has been an unknown quantity since the start - if you believe the colour logic people have been applying to her choices of clothing. In the final scene, when she was speaking with Will in the glass cage, things were getting very deep and certainly seemed like the show was throwing out hints.

Will, referring to the killer, said, "He's going to reach out to me." Thirty seconds later Alana and Will were holding hands.

Alana: What does he (the killer) want?
Will: He wants to know me. What do you want?
Alana: I want to save you.

Though how she would have lifted the large bailiff onto the horns and impaled him is a bit of a leap.

The Stag scene itself was very clear. Whoever the Stag represents wants Will to be free. Hannibal wants him in a cage.

Desht posted:

All that said, I really hope it isn't Jack. But he's also the only one that makes sense given what's been presented so far.

If it IS Jack, then that completely rewrites what we thought we saw in the very first scene of this season.

What if it wasn't "Jack knows about Hannibal" but "Jack knows that Hannibal knows about Jack"?

It explains why Jack went in there alone without backup, why he didn't try to call for help during the fight. It explains how Hannibal will continue to be able to be Hannibal in future seasons rather than being on the run for murdering a senior figure in the FBI.

(edit: beaten)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

mobby_6kl posted:

poo poo guys, isn't there something about cruel an unusual punishment in the constitution?

Will gives all Hannibal's suits to Chilton's.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

zoux posted:

I dunno. He was faced with a decision, flips a coin, which is cultural shorthand for making a difficult decision,

It's also what you do with utterly trivial decisions. "What shall we get for lunch, Chinese of Mexican? I can't decide, let's flip a coin."

Bella had poured her heart out to Hannibal and chose him to be the one there with her when she died. Think for a moment just how much thought and heatbreak went into her decision to take her own life. And she chose to do it in front of him. She made him the most important person in her world.

Hannibal's coin flip served to show how utterly unimportant she was to him. A gesture of total contempt.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

escape artist posted:

It is the benchmark for terrible television. Like I said, even if the entire writing staff was malevolent, and their whole goal was to piss off viewers, they still couldn't have orchestrated a catastrophe so perfectly. It's fascinating.

The absolutely best thing about Dexter was that the final season was just so utterly godawful that after a couple of episodes, when the shock of how bad it was had begun to wear off, goons stopped being bored by how stupid it was and started to get angry.

The last half of the final season was some of the best TV I ever watched simply because we were all hate-watching it at that point. It was magical :allears:

Some kind of forcefield!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

blablablabla posted:

Yeah I want that fridge which turned a human body into complete ice in under a night.

I want the band saw that can slice through clothes as neatly as that rather than everything getting all tangled up to poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

jscolon2.0 posted:

That was what she was in the middle of doing, when she got caught. Took some organ meat out of the fridge, some blood dripped into the basement, went into the basement and then :chef:

I think she actually knocked over some wine. The meat samples were vacuum sealed in little plastic baggies.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I loved the symbolism of Will in the cage with the Stag's horns growing out from his back and bursting right through the bars of the cage above his head. They showed his power, his ability to reach beyond his imprisonment and come within an inch of killing Hannibal. He took the darkness that had haunted him all through the first season and embraced it. Owned it.

Then Hannibal comes in and slaps him down with that comment about Alana. After he leaves, Will looks up at the roof of the cage and his horns are all gone now. The cage, unbroken.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

scary ghost dog posted:

Look up Happy Town

I was confused as hell when I first read this until I realised you weren't talking about this show:

Goons used to get creepy as hell over this show and that's what I initially thought you meant.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Earl of Lavender posted:

It was a hydraulic hat.

And the show made a point of never actually showing it in anything more than silhouette or split second action shots.

God, some people here are acting like the guy spent the show stomping around like a mech, shooting fire out of his arse.

Everything about this show centres on one theme - transformation. All the serial killers have it as their motif and it's what Will has been doing before our eyes since day one. This guy wearing a big old bear skull hat powered by pneumatics and some wolf-themed Freddy Kruger gloves is no more over the top than bee skull or the mushroom diabetics.

He also reminded me of Better Off Ted's season 2 opener where Linda meets a guy she thinks is cool until she finds out he likes to dress up as a bear.

quote:

Greg: I have my own little way of acting out.
Linda: Really?
Greg: Yeah.
Linda: What is it?
Greg: No, you're going to think it's strange.
Linda: Oh, come on. I told you my thing.
Greg: All right. Uh, twice a week after work, I put on a totally realistic bear costume and hang out in the park.
Linda: You what now?
Greg: Yeah, it makes me feel powerful. Mighty. I don't scare anyone. I sit around in the bushes, root around for berries. Once I pushed on a camper. You know, bear kind of stuff.

I spent the episode pretending the killer was Greg and it really made things a lot more fun.

Woot, found a clip on youtube. Sorry for the lovely quality but apparently taping your TV screen is the only way to stop clips from being taken down :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8BWKRBWG48

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 28, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Toffee apple heart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Rabbit Hill posted:

That's pretty much how I feel about the "social worker in the horse" bit, though. v:shobon:v

Oh come on now, "Is your social worker inside that horse?" is the greatest line ever written!

• Locked thread