Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

staticman posted:

Since I can't find the PNW thread in GBS, here's the rundown of poo poo:

I'm going to be moving out on my own, with a friend who will be moving to this state (Washington) in the very near future. Currently, I live in Tacoma, closer to University Place to be exact. Wondering if it's better to look closer in my current area, or look for a place near Seattle, for example?

You live here, you know how expensive poo poo gets near Seattle. Tacoma ain't bad and it's not too far from the excitement, you could look in Fed Way/Auburn/Kent if you want to be closer but anything more and property goes through the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SedanChair posted:

What? Did you mean to say Graham or something?

Graham votes on the same Pierce County ballot.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SedanChair posted:

There's a Nixon Street in Lakewood, across from Steilacoom Park. It looks like a little slice of white senior citizen suburb paradise; they're right to invoke the protective totem of Tricky Dick.

That explains the militant police here. I want to move desperately.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was just pointing out that warm-water discharge does have an effect.

That said, I'm a mildly pro-nuclear Oregonian, so I'm a rare breed.

Have you seen the Gasland movies? We're pretty insulated from the effects of fracking up here, thank god, but seeing the aftermath shown in those films will change your stance on nuclear I imagine. poo poo, I reconsidered my feelings on oil compared to shale gas. Oil!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ardennes posted:

lot of items are opened box

I don't know the state of Fry's electronics, but at Best Buy this is almost always just fine.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I honest believe "abuses dogs" is an absolute and universal measure for a person being an absolute piece of poo poo. Like it's all you need to know about a person, 100% safe to totally judge them entirely on that alone.

Yeah, it is. Measure a man by how he treats his inferiors.

You can measure a woman the same way, that's just the saying as I know it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

sadus posted:

You could very well be the first to wear Mexican Pointy Boots in Seattle if you're lucky?

No chance. Not sure how I remember this, but I've seen them on a busker at Pike's Place.

EDIT: Yeah, people here are big on urban anonymity.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tigntink posted:

I love this place. It's been 9 years and I can't imagine there's a better place to live in America. So many trees. Never too hot.

As a born and raised Washingtonian, this summer was too hot. Texans need not comment. :)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That is the scan of the actual postcard I got in the mail. It is totally real, and totally desperate.

Move to Washington, it's as awesome as it sounds. Your friends will mock you for being paranoid about weed.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Some people are allergic to dogs, or some folks (like muslims) have religious issues with them. It's kind of a jerk thing to take one in a supermarket IMHO.

Absolutely. Anywhere that serves food. When I worked at Best Buy we didn't give a poo poo about animals, but don't bring them into grocery stores or restaurants. The staff has no proof your dog doesn't have fleas, a mean temperament, or a host of issues.

People here (NW WA) are generally not going to confront you, so it's your responsibility to not be an rear end in a top hat.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

I am back in Washington for college winter break from the far off lands of Portland, (I am from Federal Way) was wondering if I could get a recap of some of the poo poo thats been going on in our state.. I feel bad because I got distracted during the elections/voting and forgot to mail my ballot. I know alot of crap has been going on ,but I've been pretty aloof.

594 passed, adding a little gun legislation. Idiots reacted by swapping guns temporarily on the Capitol lawn. Law enforcement said "that's legal still and we won't do anything."

It was cold. Boeing is shipping away more jobs. What crap are you interested in knowing about?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The funniest part of this constitutional convention derail is the far more interesting chat going on around it... about grocers.

Anyone flabbergasted that the deal went this way? In my eyes Albertsons was always on the way out while Safeway seemed to be excelling.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

oxbrain posted:

Kent does have some awesome food. Anything you want there is some sketchy looking place run by people who may or may not speak English.

I'm 90% sure I saw sir mix-a-lot picking up takeout greek food at ishtar last week.

You likely did, I helped him out at Sam's Club once. Surreal experience.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

I mean, I've only been here for ~8 years, but I feel like people have always given a poo poo about the Seahawks.

Nobody gives a poo poo about the Mariners because nobody cares about baseball on the West Coast. I don't think this season really changed anything.

The Mariners were either way more popular in the early 90s or I cared more because I played baseball. Either are equally possible because I was pretty young then.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ditocoaf posted:

They basically siphon off what little philantropic spirit suburbanites have, and turn a sizable profit off it.

That's funny. People mostly dump off poo poo they don't want in my experience.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

Well, we've been over thrift stores and guns and dogs and GMOs, and now it is my sad duty to bring gamergate into this thread.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2015/01/gamergate_woman_says_online_ha.html

Apparently, some of the gamergate bunch called in a hostage call to the police, with the former address of a supporter-turned-opponent of gamergate.

Bonus points for Oregon Live using the phrase "ethics in video journalism" seriously.

If you support Gamergate, you literally have poo poo for brains.

I've obsessively mastered Mega Man games NES and up and beaten more Final Fantasy games than you have fingers to count. Women are objects at best in most games, rarely more than sexual window dressing. This has been a problem for decades, and being addressed is cause for celebration, not outrage.

I'm not saying this to anyone in particular here, almost everyone knows better.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Haha what europe is corrupt as gently caress and only getting worse. US style "lobby" bribery is becoming more and more common.

You're surprised Americans are behind the times on global politics?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BEADS.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ernie Muppari posted:

well how hard can it be?

zzzzzzzzzzzz

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

we'll see who brings in more honey

He's thinking about bees again.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ernie Muppari posted:

look i just don't think nuclear power plants are very buzz worthy

I don't think we'd make a huge mistake in building more.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

yeah guys OK we admit NAFTA didn't exactly do anything we promised it would for domestic Job creation but totally believe us this time.

Democrats should ideally not be pushing the subtext that jobs are all that matter for valuing societal impacts.

Lewis Black said it best: Republicans are stupid. Democrats are dumb. I can't disagree. Especially recently, stupid has found a friend with crazy, but a lot of Democrats still do dumb poo poo, especially established ones.

edit: Bernie 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

oxbrain posted:

Sure, we'll talk about it. Then hillary will back pedal from it during the general election and then have her hands tied by those darned republicans in congress afterwards.

Sanders 2016

Yeah, Hilary's probably won. Then again, lots of people felt that way in 2007...

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

I haven't been to tacoma in a long time, but my brother stopped for gas there on the way to portland a couple years ago and he was shocked at how decrepit everything looked.

He was nowhere near downtown, guaranteed. Tacoma's nice, like Seattle Jr. Even Lakewood has areas worth visiting.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

Is it so hard to name these places you nerds? :argh:

Dorky's is the one in Tacoma. It's... not cute, but it is awesome.
The Renton one is noticeably smaller with less to play. It's called the 8-bit Arcade I believe. (DDR machines are getting difficult to find these days, I think we're limited to Dorky's and bowling alleys. Haven't been to Gameworks in awhile, do they still have one?)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Do people actually believe this?

No, most of us understand they're in Humboldt/Mendocino county.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SyHopeful posted:

Did Oregon legalize lane splitting recently? I've seen a lot of motorcycles using the shoulders to pass in rush hour lately.

I've seen motorcycles drive between lanes since I was a child, and I'm sure it was happening before then.

I don't think it's necessarily a Californian thing, just an advantage people take when available. Used to bother me until I realized it was more "why not me???" than "whatta idiot".

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Jesus christ. I was thinking a neighbor was having a bonfire for some reason.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Ex-Wisconsinite here. I thought y'all only disliked Californians, what gives?

We lightly mock everything east of Colorado, but don't take it personally!

As someone who's lived in many places, sometimes I really wish Washington drivers would spend a couple months in California. Passive, overly polite idiots fill our streets.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

1 million times this. I can do 90% of my job at home. Technically I don't know that I'm even allowed to (no one else does and it was never mentioned), but I do it anyway every so often.

I do so wish I could. The guy doing desktop support before me was a fuckoff heroin addict, so my east coast boss wants me onsite, but I could do my job easily with one in-office day a week.

SyHopeful posted:

Am I the only one who likes a geographical separation between work and home? For me, home is my refuge. I don't want to taint it with the stress of my job.

Yes. But if you have very specific hours, wouldn't they just be more easily done from your refuge?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
This state is great because we have literally everything.

Besides, we can build solar in the east to power the west!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

foobardog posted:

Autoplay is terrible and annoying, stop trying to tell me what to do with my removable media, Windows. :argh:

Yeah, I was a little tempted to email him.

It was alright in Windows XP I suppose, can't blame him for Microsoft holding onto annoying practices well past their lifespan.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ernie Muppari posted:

it's what responsible elder wyrms do

We've all read the literature. Wake up, America!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

effectual posted:

The one off 167 just south of renton is pretty mediocre. Qdoba's chicken is awesome but their other meats are so-so, but they do have the added benefit of free guac, too bad there isn't one close to me :( Chipotle is usually pretty good though, I also mix it up with Mucho Burrito sometimes, their spanish rice is really spicy but good.

Anyone do any cool poo poo for halloween? I always stay home and get crunk because I figure there will be a ton of cops out to catch dui's.

Had some friends over to sing while I played Rock Band drums.

Mucho Burrito is fantastic, especially if you're a spice fiend and get their ghost pepper salsa.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mrit posted:

Other than the kindle, what technology releases has amazon come up with that weren't total failures?

The Echo sounds cool as hell. I haven't used one though!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Reason posted:

weather has been fun the passed couple days!

Yeah, I love putting my backyard back together every morning :dance:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I'm okay with anyone, no matter their occupation, getting paid well.

This. In NW WA, I feel like once people are making $20/hr they're just getting onto their feet. $15 Now seems like a compromise when production growth since wages stagnated is considered.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

What the gently caress how do you gently caress up a tri-colour like that.

MS Paint.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

As well you should have.

Guy is a shitstain on American history.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

well yeah, it's pacific/algona. i used to work there and while there wasnt much violent crime it's certainly not a nice area.

It's just quiet and not very monied. Great place to live if you work in Kent/Renton, any further north and you'd probably want to move. Hope you're also getting quite the raise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

gently caress this real estate inflation.

We could see a bust soon.

Hope it doesn't take the economy with it! Although, it would be interesting to see the microwaved circus peanut try to navigate a recession/depression - life would be miserable, yes, but Obama would be pretty drat vindicated by that point.

• Locked thread