Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Got two Mothers and I'm pretty sure it's my Eurorack gateway drug. On its own it's pretty good but I really want to start plugging other poo poo into it.

It's definitely a Moog sound, if you're looking for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Chainclaw posted:

I'm having a ton of fun with the modular setup.
I need to figure out how to sync the Mother-32 and the Korg SQ-1. I think the Mother-32 takes a steady voltage for the tempo, whereas the SQ-1 pulses a sync signal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwz0ltV7oQY

The Mother-32 has three different Tempo modes plus MIDI control. It's on page 46 of the manual. Steady voltage plus the knob voltage, step advancing on a clock wave, or DIN sync.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Anyone happen to know the length of the tempo pulse on a Mother-32? I know it's +5v, but not how long it lasts.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'd definitely take a Voyager or Sub-Phatty over a Model D. I played around with one of the prototypes of the new Model D at GearFest and was super underwhelmed. As it stands we have a Little Phatty SE II and two Mothers; most of my Moog lust is sated. (But dat Voyager XL is still hottttt)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Graceful Flop posted:

I'll probably do my homework on the Sub Phatty versus the Sub 37 and pick up one of those when I'm ready to put together an actual studio setup.

Yeah I meant the Sub-37, sorry. The regular Sub Phatty is nice but there's so much more on the Sub-37. All the controls I wish the LP had on the front panel, plus some more.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I've watched a few of those on that third link; they're pretty good. The list contained within the fourth link is massive and probably worth pecking through. (Seriously. Massive.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

stillvisions posted:

So, the question now is have we reached the peak and crash of eurorack?

God I hope not, since I just got into euro with the Mother-32 and that seems like a really good jumping off point. The main issue I have is, indeed, the modules that cost as much as a fully-functional synth.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Scatterfold posted:

I hope we have. Means more cheap 2nd hand modules for those of us who actually use it to make music :unsmigghh:

Provided people dump them.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Scatterfold posted:

looks good from my sanctimonious viewpoint

Yes but I'm at least hoping for a little more first-hand saturation or the second-hand market is still gonna be full of people looking to cash in on euro "snobs", just like any other niche market.

I'm sure the bigger names like Pittsburg and Doepfer and Makenoise will have enough out there, but half the fun of modular is chasing down the weirdo little boxes, and if there's anything guitar has shown me, it's that weirdo little boxes are just as bad, if not worse, on the used market.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bolange posted:

The thing I'm most excited about is an SEM voice in eurorack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw8pKlKL-SU.

And the effects boxes too. :psylon:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My wife worked at Sweetwater for eight years. I didn't have to explain poo poo to her, but we had a lot of "okay, how can we justify THIS one?" conversations.

Hell, the Brendan Small Thunderhorse guitar was HER idea.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm looking for something to do drum duty in my studio setup, since I currently have nothing that really fills that niche. I'm having trouble figuring out what I want though-- drums and groove lines are not at all my strength, so I actually would like something that would let me kind of just mess around and experiment without getting the rest of the setup involved, for the sake of practicing. So something with an onboard sequencer would be great.

Problem is, I'm not really a big fan of standard 808/909 drum sounds, so that eliminates a lot of stuff like the Volca Beats, Roland stuff, and the Drumbrute. I'm thinking I may be happiest with something where I can load my own samples or something with a pretty robust drum synth built in. I've looked at the Volca Sample, and I like the workflow, but I'm not crazy with how complicated it is to get samples into it (unless that's gotten easier since I last looked). It'd be great if I could find something that I could record samples directly into the unit.

Ultimately though I'm just looking for anything that does unique drum sounds and has a good on-board sequencer. Any recommendations? If nothing else, I may save my pennies and wait til the Digitakt lands to see if that'll scratch my itch.

The Sample has a pretty decent 3rd party editor in Caustic Editor for Volca Sample. Honestly, my biggest problem with the Sample is the tiny amount of memory it has. I don't even really mind that you can't (by default) control individual channels by MIDI. But that sample/memory size is really limiting its flexibility. And, I suppose, the ability to sample in the box would be nice...

I agree, though, the workflow is pretty decent.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tayter Swift posted:

Must be doing something right if it's producing takes as hot as this

https://twitter.com/Chris_Randall/status/877149687412686848

Yes, let's, because that poo poo is cool as hell. I mean, like everything else that ever comes up in this thread, I'll never afford it, but it's pretty drat rad regardless.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MrSargent posted:

Well, interestingly enough, after posting about my MIDI controller woes, I got a daily offer in my email from Musician's Friend for an Alesis VX49 Keyboard Controller. The normal price is 399, but the offer has it at 149.99 which is a pretty great price for a 49 key midi controller.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?source=3GOA5A9A

Has anyone used an Alesis keyboard before and is there anything glaringly bad about it? I have also been looking at the Komplete Kontrol S49, but that thing is 599 and not on sale.

I didn't like that it only had 8 knobs, even if it's easy enough to program. The VIP control or whatever seemed a little... I dunno. Overkill? Maybe? Seemed kind of gimmicky to me.

The build quality was pretty okay. They keys felt somewhere between synth-style and semi-weighted, and all the buttons and knobs felt solid. The case itself was pretty sturdy. Good pads, of course.

The only reason we got rid of it is because we had too many keyboards, and I wanted something with more tactile controls on it, so we gave it to a friend that needed a controller.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MockingQuantum posted:

M-Audio's customer service may be the worst I've ever dealt with. This was a while back, though, so I'm not sure if they still require you to pay to open a repair ticket, even if the keyboard is still under warranty.

This is probably when they still were owned by Avid, who STILL do this poo poo for customer support. AND they're bad at it. Avid is the least consumer-friendly company I've ever dealt with, at every level of the company.

I've had a few of their lower-end controllers: Oxygen49, Axiom61 (2nd gen), Mini32. They're okay, and the nice part is that the programming for them really hasn't changed at all in a decade. The Axiom is actually the controller I kept over the VX49 because it is arguably a more flexible controller.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MisterPlastic posted:

A Wurlitzer 200a in very good condition is available to me for more than half a months pay check, if i drive 6 hours one way to go get it. i could do this, or buy the latest DSI prophet rev 2 for about the same (expensive) price. I mostly am reading sheet music and jamming with the drumbrute. Which would be the most reasonable plan for fair deals?

That's not the worst price I've ever seen for a 200a (depending on condition) but I absolutely would not drive 6 hours for it. And, as the owner of a 200a, I would absolutely take a Prophet-6 or OB-6 over it. And this is after spending half a year refurbishing it myself.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Having spent some time with our Microbrute, I wouldn't really suggest it, honestly. It makes a *very* particular sort of sound as it's limited in its oscillator control (no octave control or tuning/sync per osc). Also the filter is... it's what it is, but not super "musical," and almost all the controls seem to have a really limited range of useful movement. It has some limited patchability, and that's decent, and at least it has a sequencer, but overall it's not my favorite piece of kit.

If I had take-backsies I'd have gotten a Minilogue. I'd also consider waiting for the Behringer D at this point.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my MicroBrute RED. (Also a Beat Buddy if that's your thing.)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831727

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Is anyone going to Knobcon next weekend? Or has gone in the past? I'm interested in going and farting around, but I'm wondering how much the ratio of "playing with neat stuff" is to "being hounded by reps before you get a chance to actually mess with stuff."

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

good jovi posted:

I went last year for a couple hours on Sunday. So as far as I saw, it's 100% playing with neat stuff. Nobody's hounding you, they know nobody's there to buy. I'll definitely be going back, I'm hoping to see a bit more 4U.

Awesome, good to know.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

HerzogZwo posted:

Anybody at knobcon? I must say the knobs on the SE-2 are awful small.

I went today and... I was pretty underwhelmed on the whole. Not sure if it was because it was Sunday and people cleared out, or if it was just not my bag to walk around and look at a bunch of blinking lights that didn't seem hooked up to anything, or what. Maybe I'm just not one for the community.

The thing I noodled with the most was, indeed, the SE-02, which was alright but is clearly not a jamming machine because of those knobs and switches. I thought the Digitakt was okay, and the UI is easier to navigate than the Octatrack by far, but it's still not, like, user-friendly. I liked the build quality, buttons, screen, etc, though.

Anyway, I'll try to go on Saturday next year; I'm not sure I feel like I got as much out of it as I could have. Nobody else seemed like they were having any fun, either. Hell, the Dave Smith booth was literally an unmanned table with a Prophet, an OB-6, and something else that I can't even remember.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Clavavisage posted:

that multivox is cool becuase its not really a copy of anything per se
the only thing i know is that they tend to fall apart if you try to play them, i think that one has aftertouch as well?

e. multivox just rebadged that from firstman(?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmn1Mwy6Eac

This vid is incredible. Just sayin'.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mister Speaker posted:

Posting in here again due to curiosity and nostalgia. There's a synth sound that I've heard in a number of places, mostly 1990s film and game soundtracks - in particular, Eric Serra's GoldenEye soundtracks reek of it. It's common enough in Serra's work and others though, that I'm sure it's a preset from some FM synth or something. That's why I'm posting it here, not in the 're/create a sound' thread.

I'm talking about this, at around 1 second in on the third beat, that hollow metallic percussive sound. I've always had it in my head as 'porthole sound' since childhood, since it reminds me of... I don't know, submarines or some poo poo. Anyway, there's got to be someone in here that can shed some light on this patch.

According to the comments on the vid:

quote:

+ells101 Yes, It is a patch from the EMU Proteus 2 sampler. There are digital libraries of it nowadays. Eric Serra used it in many of his compositions, prominently in the Goldeneye movie soundtrack. The patch in question is called "Infinite One". Let me know if you would like it and in what format. NKI (Native Instruments Kontakt file) or WAV and I can upload it somewhere.

How true that is obviously I don't know. But there you go.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My Lovely Horse posted:

While we're talking about software, what's a good one for just recording and adding some effects? I've got hardware synths and a Beatstep Pro for sequencing, I'm sending everything to an audio interface, and so far on the software/DAW side I've only played around with Ableton, which does get the job done very nicely, but I can't help but feel it's a bit too beefy for what little I actually do with it.

Ableton is something I have problems with because it's really an instrument in addition to being a DAW studio environment. For some reason my brain just doesn't wrap around the concept very well. The whole clip triggering thing breaks something fundamental in my brain and no amount of manual reading has made it better, and the sheer amount of poo poo that people do with it only makes it worse.

I mean, obviously you don't have to use the "Live" portion of it, but it feels like NOT doing that means missing out on something useful, but the addition of it gives me analysis paralysis and I lock up. (I feel the same way about having Komplete a lot of the time, too. Most of the time I just want to fart around with my Mother-32s instead.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ozmunkeh posted:

There's always this but with a waiting time of about a year https://www.sequentix.com/shop/cirklon-hardware-sequencer.

I saw this in an Against the Clock and it looks rad as hell. I don't think I have enough gear to make it useful, but I still kinda want one.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Microbrute is fuckin' tiny and pretty flexible.

I have a personal lust for the MS-20 as well.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I have... uh... a Volca Sample that I've only recently started getting used to. Trying to be musical with just a 16-step sequencer that can reproduce any noise is hard. Fun, but hard.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Salt Fish posted:

Say hello to my little friend:

What's truly amazing to me is the weight. It was a real struggle to carry it up 3 flights to my apartment.

This is part of the reason I haven't moved my Yamaha KX8 from my old place yet. Even as hammer-action keys are concerned it's light, but I don't want to have to carry it possibly several blocks plus up some stairs.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I made the mistake of looking at that Buchla on my phone and now Facebook keeps trying to sell it to me.

Joke’s on you Facebook, I don’t have any money. (Sorry, salesgoon.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I’m just gonna zip in here and say if Behringer somehow makes even a COMPETENT VCS3 clone I’m selling guitar(s) to get one.

The iVCS3 app with a LaunchControl is pretty good but it has midi stepping issues. (That said it is an amazing app with a solid feature set and good sound.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

floatman posted:

Behringer just posted on their Facebook page that the leak was an error and the products may be just made up.

MotherFUCKER.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Electric Bugaloo posted:

um guys I think I may have a problem

I see no problem PLUS I see excellent taste in shelving systems.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I really thought the Microbrute was pretty cold, especially if you really pushed the saw and the filter overdrive.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lhet posted:

Went and grabbed the Mother-32. It just seems to have the most complete set of core building blocks. Nothing too crazy, but I don't think there'll be any shortage of weird interactions once I start adding onto it (also it comes with a case so I'm not working out of a cardboard box while I build a real case).

I have two and feel like I'm only scratching the surface with what I'm capable of doing with them. And yet I still want a third (or one of their cases plus the three-tier rack and a bunch of other poo poo like a Maths.) The only thing stopping that is Chicago rent.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MockingQuantum posted:

(though replacement earpads help)

This can't be quoted enough.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MockingQuantum posted:

Maybe so. I never know quite what to make of the Linnstrument, I get that it's appealing on paper but having never seen one in the wild, I'm not sure it would click with me at all.

Linnstrument is a great doohickey. Got to mess with one (with Roger Linn!) at Sweetwater's GearFest a couple years back. A friend of mine who at the time played neither keys nor guitar picked it up right away.

The pads themselves are a little softer than MPC pads in order to give some better 3D response, but it feels pretty natural to play, and it's helped a lot by having several different note/scale layouts beyond the primary one (which is the standard guitar tuning of 4ths per row). Given a choice between it and the Roli line, I'd take a Linnstrument every time. It's just way down the list compared to most other hardware in my GAS list.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I've been told they're still at least a month and a half out from some retail friends of mine, so I'm guessing these are advanced/demo units?

edit: oh, scratch that. European units.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 11, 2018

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Trig Discipline posted:

As someone who hasn't owned a hardware synth in forever, it really seems to me like there's just a flood of really neat-looking devices coming out at lower price points, way more than I can remember ten years ago or so. Is this some sort of golden age of mini synths, or have I just been oblivious until recently?

Personal opinion, but I think a large part of it is manufacturers realizing that menu diving loving SUCKS. Knobs are good, and analog sounds that much better as far as consumers are concerned.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I mean, being good at sampling and having the patience to dig through crates and slice and sequence poo poo is just as much sound design as futzing with synthesis knobs. It’s all different approaches to the same basic end goal: making music that interests you and sometimes others. Some people do that through theory and arrangement, some people do it through production design, some people do it by learning three chords and having something to say.

Whatever works, man. Just know your workflow, and if you want to try something new, do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Everyone in this thread knows that the best way to make music is create a computer algorithm and just let it figure out the rest.

Failing that, take random tape samples, physically cut them up, then physically tape them together through random die rolls, like they did it in the REAL electronic days of the '30s.