Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Synthrotek https://store.synthrotek.com/Kits has a wide variety of kits and some of them are modular or can be made semi with an enclosure and 9 volt. Components come with the kits so it's a little hand holdey but there are some fun things to build. There is probably some way the owner is problematic so let your conscience be your guide.

I really like that West Coast Noise System but yeah, I'm not giving Steve Harmon my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Lol, LGR Guy decided to bust out his synths and it turns out he's better than most people on Youtube with modular setups

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Oberheim is back

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I recently checked current going prices on my Roland JD-990 with the Vintage Synth card and.... :aaa:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm seeing a lot of japanese ebay listings for these with disclaimers about voltages and hertzes, can someone give me a rundown (or link) on what can I run on wall power in the US without frying a $300 synth

Japan runs on both 50 and 60 Hz but they run on 100v. If it's a Roland rack module, it probably has a Bando transformer in it so you should be able to easily switch it to 120v. If it's not easy to switch, then you can use something like this step down transformer for Japanese electronics.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 3, 2021

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

man, the fs1r looks sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAqMe_rSLWk

can't believe they're two thousand dollars. if anyone wants to lend me one for a few months lmk lol

They didn't used to be. I considered getting one when I was on my synth buying binge almost ten years ago and they were I think $700-800 then. I kinda miss those days but not really since I bought 4 synths that give me plenty right now.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Sequential got bought out... again :smith:

At least from what it sounds like, Dave Smith got a better deal this time than in the 80s. Seems like Sequential keeps its autonomy so Dave can keep designing synths while the business and financials are going to be taken care of by Focusrite.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 27, 2021

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Can't wait for Rutibex to post a pic of his Eurorack setup made completely out of cereal boxes

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

everything should come with speakers and run on batteries imo

I kinda miss my Yamaha PSR-12. :smith:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Aw man, my cousins had this keyboard growing up. I was always fond of the demo song on it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Oh hey, I made a thing available after 6 years. It's the ending theme of a short film I scored in film school. If anyone has Shudder, the short was directed by the same guy who did the short The Quiet Room.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Waldorf's back with the Microwave :blastu:

8 voice polyphony (upgradeable to 16), 2 independent wavetable oscillators with 2 modes (classic MW1 and modern MW2), SSM 2144 filter and analog VCA

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

As someone who got into synths in the tail end of the Blofeld's lifespan, so to speak, I admit I mostly associate Waldorf with synths that sound cool but seem pretty expensive for what you get. As someone with no attachment to the original Microwave, this sounds cool as hell but I'd be hard pressed to consider dropping ~$2500 on it, not necessarily because it isn't worth it, but because there seems to be so much out there that gets you more for less. Is Waldorf gear just that good?

I think the main competitor to the "Waldorf sound", so to speak, is the HydraSynth. It gets you mostly there.

In any case, the only real reason why I'd want one is to have a Microwave with 16 voices. I have the original Microwave but I'm not spending another $2000+ for another unit to add 8 more voices.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Ashun Sound Machines ended up giving me what I wanted: a 16 voice HydraSynth

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Anyone ever play a Roland Gaia? I’ve heard mostly good things and there’s a local one for a killer price

I'd say go for it. I personally think it's an underrated synth and if you can get one cheap, all the more better.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I love my Virus KC and I'm never selling that.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

net work error posted:

What is the reason for needing 8 voice polyphony vs 4 vs a mono synth?

Not the poster in question but if you're like me and you're a pianist, you play with both hands and often run into having 8+ notes ringing at the same time.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

beeker posted:

if dungeon synth isn't niche enough, you can take it a level deeper and check out some shenmue synth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moosgt3Bclc

Honestly this is better than dungeon synth.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

a mysterious cloak posted:

okay here's another one of my dumb surveys:

Do you make music on a laptop, PC, or DAWless, and why?

I make music on my Macbook Pro when recording, but I try to play as many parts when/if I perform live except for sections I can't physically play so I relegate that to sending MIDI to one of my instruments.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

snorch posted:

drat yeah the moog and oberheim ones are analog. Someone is guaranteed to inevitably put together a $400 8-voice.

Lol like me since that was exactly the first thing I thought of the moment I saw that Behringer clone.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Radiapathy posted:

While testing out the Roland PMA-5 I bought I discovered that it had not been initialized to factory settings, so it still had some user-created songs on it. Most of them were very simple single-instrument melodies, but one of them was this endearingly cheesy 80s/90s-late-night-talk-show-theme-style track. I don't know whether the prior owner composed it themselves, but I recorded it for posterity before I wipe the device clean.

Roland PMA-5 Song02

That's very Lenocore.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
The trick for wavetable synths is to use a looping envelope to cycle through the wavetable as you play. :roboluv:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
RIP Vangelis :smith:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/may/19/vangelis-greek-composer-chariots-of-fire-blade-runner-dies

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Andy Fletcher of Depeche Mode has died

:smith:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Oof, I want that bad but I’m betting I won’t be able to afford that.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU Dave Smith passed away :smith:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Ryuichi Sakamoto has stage 4 cancer

:smith:

Goddammit, I loving hate 2022

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a good Buchla-style VST out there that isn’t by Arturia and doesn’t cost $150?

Madrona Labs Aalto?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

I always thought he was being sarcastic with those reviews considering over half of the synths he reviewed aren't even bad by reputation.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 3, 2022

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Hi thread. I've been fascinated by synthesizers for ages and although I can't play piano (or any instrument) and have no technical knowhow, Mom I Want to Twist the Knobs.

I am poor, so I would like to start small and simple, just to see if it's for me. For some reason I am drawn toward the Korg Monotribe Analog Ribbon. I like that it makes cool sounds and has what looks like a super rudimentary mixer. Compared to other devices, it looks simple and I see one selling for $130 on Craigslist nearby.

That said, I inherited an ancient Nord Lead from a cool neighbor. It may have a missing key but last I tried it, it worked. But I haven't touched it in ages. It's just too intimidating, like trying to learn two instruments simultaneously. But then I remembered, it has a rudimentary mixer of its own.

So I guess I was wondering, does anyone have any tips or resources for ultra-dummies? Errant thoughts? Would the Monotribe play nicely with the Nord? Would I even need it? Anyway, thanks, I'm gonna go back and read the last 100 pages. This poo poo is intoxicating.

I would fix that Nord Lead. It’s still a highly regarded synth.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Yes I think so. Oh and for whomstever was wondering earlier, I think it's the 16 voice one (because it seems to only have an empty hole where the memory cards would slot in)

I think the only way to tell if it has the voice expansion card is to open it up.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
This is probably of no consequence to anyone here nowadays but Waldorf has discontinued the Pulse 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Yup, RIP Moog