Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Has much been talked about how playable this will be with a keyboard and mouse? I'd rather play it on my PC than PS3 but don't have a controller for my PC and don't really want to have to buy one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How playable is this with mouse and keyboard? I wonder if its possible to use my logitech wireless keyboard bluetooth dongle to get my PS3 controller to work

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So I've decided to just use my PS3 controller instead of loving around with my mouse and keyboard. Do I need any software or anything to use it or just plug and play?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've gone sorcerer after never using magic in dark souls 1 since I was a pyromancer in that and didn't need to boost a stat for it. How should I be looking to improve my stats as I level other than int for spells?

Also will I be using just spells for attacking or will I still need a weapon?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Can I have 2 copies of soul arrow equipped at once if I have an attunement slot free?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How far into the game do I get the things to do co-op? I'm just running around dying in forest of fallen giants as I get used to only having a crappy dagger and soul arrow

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Phycosymo posted:

You'll have to go further into the area and help out the man who's sitting near the archway straight ahead of you.

I saw him but died to the poison chest in that area. Didn't get into the menu to heal fast enough and didn't have a divine blessing available on the d-pad :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

When I get further into the game playing using magic, will I still be using a weapon in my other hand to the staff or can I use a shield or is that a terrible idea?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is there any way to get a cross hair for aiming spells when using the binoculars? My aim is pretty good but it would be nice not wasting 3 soul arrows getting it right. Or do I just need to get better at it so I don't need them?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Would I be making a huge mistake if I did co-op in the forest to boost my level a little? I'm doing it now to try and see the whole place before I go solo but wouldn't mind levelling a bit since I'm only 15 at the minute, starting as sorcerer

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Can anyone give me advice on how to build a mage? I know I need lots of int and atn but not really sure how else I build my character. Will I need to level dex/str for melee weapons/shields ever? What about end/vgr/vit?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I really don't like the changes to humanity/summoning unless I'm missing something obvious as to how I summon people to help on a boss

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

the basics of it are pretty much the same, you have to be human to summon someone, they don't have to be. the difference is that it's not tied to soul level anymore, it's tied to soul memory--or your overall souls collected. if you're not within a range of about 25% of each other then you can't summon. the name engraved ring, which can be purchased from the cat in Majula, makes it more likely for you to see the summon sign of your friends as long as you both select the same god, and I believe it also expands the soul memory range slightly.

Is there any better way to become human than burning a human effigy? Since that seems to lock me out of summoning for an hour which is a bit poo poo. I'm still really early into the game

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah Bell Keepers was the first time I've ever gotten really into PvP in one of these games. I was never a big fan of invasions, for the reasons you stated. I haven't had one happen in this game yet and I'm not looking forward to them in NG+.

Ohhh there's your problem, you don't burn an effigy to become human. you just use it from your inventory. that change got me too.

Oh thanks I'd never have figured that out :v: Now I just need to wait for the timer to disappear since I burned it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

As an alternative option, if you have the white sign soapstone or small white sign soapstone (you can get both of these pretty early) just drop a sign and get summoned yourself! As long as you either kill a boss (with the regular soapstone) or are in the summoner's world long enough/kill enough stuff (with the small soapstone) you'll turn human. This saves you the human effigy and lets you learn bosses/areas with a lot less personal risk. It's also a lot of fun broing it up.

Great I'll do that instead then once this burnt human effigy wears off. Do I need to be in game for the hour to run down or not?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Anyone got tips for beating the 3 ruin sentinels as a mage with soul arrow/grand soul arrow as my only real attacks? Not being able to block sucks too

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

laplace posted:

They are resistant to magic iirc. Why don't you summon help/get a shield? Is this a gimmick run/CoC run?

No I just haven't needed a shield so far. I'm going to try summoning but wanted to give them a go solo but I'll get nowhere if they're resistant to magic.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm not doing well against the Lost Sinner. Do I need to join the bell keepers covenant to avoid the dwarves spawning if I try to go that way? I know I can still be invaded otherwise

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Artificer posted:

Yeah you have to offer them at the Covenant. The medals seem to do nothing after rank 3, since I can't offer them anymore.

Being in the covenant won't save you from the dwarves OR the invaders.

Guess I'll just try to run through it then and hope for the best. Not being able to target the lost sinner at distance when I'm only using soul arrow/great soul arrow is proving to be somewhat hard

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Are Soul vessels the items for respeccing? how many do you get? I quite like being a mage but man all but the first boss so far have beaten me fairly easily and required me doing co-op to get past

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

When enemies despawn, is it permanent?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Whats the standard order of the game? I did the forest of fallen giants, then the lost bastille and then Sinner's rise. I just kept going since each area followed the previous one and other than bosses nothing was too hard to kill. I did have to make use of the lift on the things near the Lost Sinner boss though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

TGLT posted:

Except for Shaded Ruins, you can pretty much tackle any of them at any time in any order. Huntsman's Copse, off of the underground route that led to Heide's Tower, leads to some very useful items though so it's a good place to go to next. The other two big boss routes are shorter, but don't give anything as valuable as an item you get near the end of the Huntsman's Copse route.

I've not done Heide's tower yet, do I need to do that first for huntsman's copse? I feel like I'm barely upgrading my gear compared to DS1 when I was a pyromancer with an iaito and whatever the +stamina shield was but I might be misremembering how long things took in that. I'm still using the starting staff just at +4 for now because I don't want to risk wasting anything important on it

Mans posted:

You see that tunnel near the cat? Not the gaping hole, the tunnel with the locked contraption near Victor's stone? Go there, down the stairs, ring the bell\pull the lever. I think you were supposed to go there immediatly after Forest of the Giants, it's the only logical explanation for why that area has such easy bosses compared to Sinner's Rise or Bastille.

I just kept on going when somewhere new opened but I had to co-op both bosses in those areas because I was getting nowhere alone. Maybe if I'd had new spells or equipment it might have helped

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How far through the game am I having done Forest of Fallen Giants, the Lost Bastille and Sinner's Rise? I realise the game can be done in any order but I still find it strange that it seems like I should have done Heide's tower after the forest. I just saw some huge thing in the entrance so decided to go the other way and kept going. Guess its my memories of Anor Londo making me avoid the big enemy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kaldaris posted:

Well, the Sinner is one of Four Big Bad Dudes as I understand it. :raise: But my friend tells me there's even more, so you're less than 25% done, at the most.

Seeing people use what I assume was lightning spear when I helped out on the lost sinner does explain why my magic seemed so crap on bosses in that I'd gone the wrong way

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Not far at all, you're only starting out. And yeah, Heide's is intimidating compared to the Forest but it's a lower-level area than Lost Bastille. Bring a blunt weapon with you and those giants will fall real quick.

There's also a third zone in the Lost Bastille if you unlock the Pharros' Contraption under the Servants' Quarter bonfire.

I did this and had a couple of runs before giving up and just summoning a couple of people to fight the lost sinner :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is the smelter demon DS2's version of the capra demon in just being horrible to fight?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Nah he just brutally murdered people trying to take the safe route and sword & board their way through the game. Capra Demon was a bitch because of a brutally tiny arena, bad camera, and dogs.

Also Smelter is one of the few bosses who legitimately change throughout the fight which I think is kinda neat.

oh thank god. I hated fighting the capra demon trying to take out the dogs and dodging everything without accidentally dodging into something. of course this time I'm using magic only so far and the timing on it is killing me on bosses since it doesn't stun them and isn't as quick as a sword

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Dark Souls 2's Capra Demon equivalent are the Ruin Sentinels, you start the fight in close quarters, are immediately attacked before having the time to check your surroundings, and it's probably the first boss where you have to fight against multiple targets.

I had to use summons for these because my only attacks were soul arrow and great soul arrow and they did poo poo all damage

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Robot Randy posted:

Lighting spear pretty handily stretches and lubes their buttholes

I apparently went the wrong way since the only spells I've seen so far are Soul arrow and great soul arrow and while they're perfectly fine on killing most things between bonfires they're a bit poo poo for bosses. At least I might find better in Heide's tower

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Are there any good melee weapons early on that I can use playing as a high int character/mage that scale off int?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

After fighting the Dragonrider its really obvious that I was supposed to go this way instead of fighting the Pursuer and going that way :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fredrik1 posted:

Yeah, I did the same thing. Took down the sentinels after that while wondering why this game was so much harder than ds1.

I probably wouldn't have even gone that way except I used a small white soapstone to become human and the person went and fought him so its what I did. Had to get summons to beat him, ruin sentinels and the lost sinner which maybe should have hinted I should go the other way but I wasn't having any trouble otherwise and wondered if it was just because I'd been using spells exclusively for damage

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

What are the equipment weight percentages that change how far you roll while dodging?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I just bought the archdrake staff but got given the sunset staff by the same person it seems. Which is better? I've not used any hexes so far just magic

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Archdrake has higher cast speed and used regular titanite to upgrade as opposed to twinkling, so I'd go with that.

Ok cool I'll go with that. Doing some co-op to get some souls for upgrading at the minute anyway. I've cleared sinner's rise and reached no man's wharf. I'm doing the ruin sentinels for co-op, is that the best place for it to farm souls?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Vil posted:

Hosts have an unfortunate tendency to get themselves killed on the sentinels. They are good souls if you win, though. That said, if you're pure-sorcery they're not a very good choice for you for that reason either, since they're magic resistant. If you've got some faith up your sleeve though, lightning melts them.

I'm 2 faith short of using lightning spear and I'm saving my souls to buy stuff and improve my gear instead of levelling

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Where is a good place to get large titanite shards? Got the archdrake staff upgraded to +5 since its the max I can manage so far

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is now a bad time for being summoned at lost bastille or am I too high at soul memory 375k or so? Its gone from near instant summons to nothing at the bonfire at McDuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Azran posted:

I'm incredibly tempted to just reduce my soul memory to the equivalent of SL 150. Like, I don't even care about the stats - I'll reset myself to 150 even. But goddamn, SM can get stupid when your only interest is to help people through jolly cooperation.

It would be really good if co-op still used soul level or something