Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was another person avoiding info about this before the PC version so I didn't know about the lighting changes and goddamn. It looks absolutely nothing like it used to and not in a good way. Oh well.

Jose posted:

Has much been talked about how playable this will be with a keyboard and mouse? I'd rather play it on my PC than PS3 but don't have a controller for my PC and don't really want to have to buy one

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/08/here-are-dark-souls-2s-pc-graphics-and-control-options/

I'm keeping my controller around just in case but shift/ctrl + click bindings make it look like it might almost be playable with a mouse and keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It will use Gamespy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Demon's Souls uses servers and no GFWL unlike Dark Souls' p2p, so it can last as long as there's funding for the servers (which are still around today for that reason). Dark Souls is reliant on GFWL for its online stuff to work so it will break if GFWL is pulled with no direct replacement for it.

I remember when I first started Dark Souls I figured that the horrible unplayable lag caused by its p2p network would at least have the upside of the online lasting forever, as long as people were playing, because it wouldn't have to connect to servers to work (unlike Demon's Souls and presumably Dark Souls 2 which are gone as soon as the servers are done). Hahaha nope thanks GFWL. We got laggy online and it's still going to die.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 15, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

While there is some good activity on PC I will say that it always felt a lot less active than PS3 to me. Right after it came out on PC there was lots of activity but when it died down a little it was definitely much harder to sunbro, and there were a lot more hackers and cheaters invading. On PS3 at the same time I was getting summoned very reliably in most areas.

I think PC probably had a smaller playerbase overall after the initial buzz, and to me that made a pretty big difference when the network already made it a headache to summon anyone. That mod that guaranteed you could connect to your friends was a godsend.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Well I finished this game a couple days ago and I'm not sure what to think. I thought it would pretty much obsolete demon's souls and dark souls 1 but it really kind of didn't. The gameplay was no worse but I really hoped that some of the new systems would have changed something. (I haven't tried a character focused on spells yet which I understand is pretty improved so this is just what affected me as a normal weapons user.)

I read about how the combat was supposed to be a lot more active and different, but dual wielding/power stancing never felt like anything but a liability and many of the environments still made rolling incredibly dangerous as opposed to just using a shield, so most of the gameplay was exactly the same as in the first 2 games: strafing around with a shield and then whacking things with a halberd every now and then. I liked the new durability system a lot before I realized durability is incredibly screwy and goes down super fast if your weapon's animation causes it to stay in the enemy's body for more than an instant.

Everything did such absurd amounts of physical damage by the end of the game that armor just felt like a choice between light armor where you die in 1-2 hits or heavy armor where you die in 1-3 hits. Being able to just play fashion souls by the end was nice I guess, but I personally liked a lot of the armors from Dark Souls 1 more for some reason.

The way invasions were changed definitely made the game way less of a headache on NG and I like all the little improvements made to co-op, as well as soul memory making most of my encounters with other players feel way more balanced. But it does kind of make me wary of doing much online stuff. I beat 95% of the game solo so I want to do more online for my second character, probably with the rat team or polizei but it sounds like I'll inevitably get pushed into higher soul memory tiers whether I want to or not if I play online for too long.

I could say a lot about the graphics/world/story too but that would be a lot of complaining for one post. It was a good game overall but I wished a lot of it could be better.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When I was summoning for fast cash I got bites pretty quickly in front of its boss door. I got a lot of summons for Velsdaldt too and he gives twice as many souls (which might be a bad thing considering what you want though)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I want to use this mod but the OP says you can get banned for that. Is that still happening? It sounds like VAC used to be in the game but also like it's not even possible for the game to VAC ban you because it has no other anticheat?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

Platforming is really not FROM's forte.

It is pretty stupid how many areas and items there are that force you to jump after From changed nothing about the same horrible jumping controls they used for the first two games (almost all of which kill you if you miss the jump). Forcing you to sprint before you can jump is incredibly stupid and half of my jumps get interpreted as normal rolls anyway, so I'm guessing the 60 FPS problem affects jumping timing too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is there a tool to automatically backup saves like there was for the last game? My rat team character's soul memory just got hosed up by a hacker (not by millions but it did move me from 85k to 135k which is a few tiers)

Davoren posted:

Okay, but I think the point here is it's dumb to complain the jumping controls haven't changed when you (well, he) would have had to rebind them to be the same.

The only alternative is L3 which is the same stick you use to move, and it's easy to move it the wrong way because you have to click it while also holding it in a certain direction. It's possibly the single worst alternative they could have picked.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think someone suggested awhile ago that you should have to wear a ring to get polizei backup but anyone could wear it (it wouldn't be part of a covenant). That would be so much better. Then just keep it from working if you're a sinner.

I wanted to try that covenant after the rats but now that my soul memory is borked I might just give it up and go to the sunlight covenant. I thought soul memory was a really cool thing before I realized what hackers could do to you with it.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 24, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Your memory must be playing tricks on you, because there are no less than seven developer messages in the hallway leading to the lever, including one right in front of it, that you should always be able to see regardless of online status.

Sometimes those actually take awhile to show up. The first time I went there I looked at the lever and only saw the one "don't you dare" right next to it, came back later and all the Pull Backs had appeared by then. I pulled it anyway after I finished the area just to see what it would do and unless you're going for awestones or something I wouldn't recommend it, he's just obnoxious when you're trying to run through old areas.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If someone is using an invincibility hack it won't show damage numbers at all right (as opposed to damage numbers where their health bar just doesn't go down)? I just got invaded twice on the rat team by people who didn't take any damage from full stamina combos, getting mauled by rats and a riposte in one case.

I hate to alt f4 in situations like that but these pieces of poo poo already ruined my soul memory once and I've read about people doing a lot worse than that, so...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Space Hamlet posted:

Like I said, I can easily believe that it was the intention. My problem with the world design isn't exactly that it's not interconnected - my problem is that if spatial impossibility was a theme, it fails to be clear that it was anything other than a mistake. In short, it doesn't do anything with the idea, and it comes off as an excuse for having areas which don't make sense. Trading the incredible love and attention that went into designing Lordran for a half-baked visual motif which most players think (possibly correctly!) is a blatant error was not a good exchange, no matter how cool it might have been.

After going through the whole game not once did I ever think you were supposed to be going insane because you're hollow or whatever. I just thought the graphics looked bad, because usually when a game's visuals suffer there's not some clever subversive meaning behind it, they just look bad. That's it. The idea simply isn't communicated in any way.

I normally don't care about this kind of thing but it bothered me a lot because I thought Dark Souls 1 looked so much better. The textures looked a lot sharper and there was almost always cool stuff to look at outside of the level area. Because what you were looking at was another complete area, it would be detailed and look really pretty with the depth of field fuzz. In Dark Souls 2 if you look out of bounds in most areas, there's just a really ugly flat texture and maybe some basic details (try looking down in the Guardian Dragon's arena and tell me those cardboard trees aren't flat out awful).

It sounds incredibly bitchy but I think it's a really fair complaint, because From showed they could do way better in two games already (particularly Dark Souls 1 though since it was connected). The world and atmosphere was just a really strong point of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1. The areas in Dark Souls 2 were also a lot smaller in general. For example Aldia's Keep looked awesome and then turned out to just be a big straight hallway, and the Gutter and Black Gulch were very short and uninteresting (there's lots of other possible examples).

Basically the new cloth physics, character customization and 60 FPS of Dark Souls 2 were big improvements but I thought the graphics and presentation of the first two games had way more love put into them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I agree and I think it actually saved From a lot of work by making the world visible from everywhere. In Dark Souls 2 they had to make a bunch of really bad looking backgrounds for each area, but in Dark Souls 1 they could just use the other areas that were already there as backgrounds. Probably took a lot of effort to shape the world like that, but I bet it still saved effort. Somehow, Dark Souls 2 has both way shorter transitions between areas while it also doesn't let you see them from each other. It all felt like they had a bunch of unrelated environments they wanted to put in the game and just sort of tried to stick them together.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't need anything for fashion souls but my face!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think I just got rat team invaded by someone who didn't understand I wasn't their friend :ohdear: They just ran up to me when I waved and then turned and attacked the rats.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Did you stab them? :ohdear:

I whacked them normally and waited and then did it again but they just didn't turn around!! Then the rats won.

Coordinated co-op runs are still the best part of Dark Souls. (I'm fairy potter)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I thought Dark Souls 1 actually did a better job of communicating the distance you travel. There are a lot of huge elevators and major transitions between areas, whereas in Dark Souls 2 you just go through a little tunnel or whatever and suddenly the environment is totally different.

Basically DS1 had way bigger area transitions but the fact that you could see the connected world meant it was harder to suspension-of-disbelief the size of the world into being bigger than it actually is. While DS2 has really short and awkward area transitions but they do want to imply you traveled a great distance. They're both flawed but whichever one bothers you less will probably be what you prefer.

My problem with DS2's style is that the backgrounds are really boring as a result, so it doesn't feel like there's anything more to the world than the tiny part you're seeing. The more detailed environments in DS1 made it feel like you were just seeing a fraction of the world, and you weren't welcome there (you get into a single building in Anor Londo by going up a buttress and through a broken window, but there's many more buildings stretching into the horizon that you never enter).

Drakes posted:

It just feels like a lazy way to build up the world when everyones going crazy and no one is really certain, then half the NPCs have mild amnesia. You can say what you want and go with it, it just doesn't make for an interesting world to me I suppose.

I interpreted everyone not knowing how they came to drangleic as being a result of the curse (related to the intro). It looks like people with the curse don't really know how they end up in drangleic at all, it just sort of happens and they aren't even aware of losing their memories. I still thought it was supposed to be a coherent and real place that was supposed to make sense.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The biggest problem with durability isn't even that 60 FPS makes it go down twice as fast, it's that it fucks with any weapon whose attack animations cause the model to stay in the enemy's body for a moment. For unfathomable reasons (I hope it was just bad implementation and not intentional) durability drains constantly as long as anything is in contact with an enemy, without any kind of check to make sure that swing hasn't already drained your durability from that enemy.

So a lot of weapons have huge durability problems because the recovery on their animations takes awhile and leaves the weapon in the enemy for a second (overhead smashes are usually the worst), eating 1/4 or more durability per bad guy. I remember being really disappointed by dual wielding and power stancing in general before the very end of my first game, where I found that power stancing the black knight halberd and Amana greathammer made them do a ton of damage. After 3 enemies I found that the different animations had taken half the durability off both of them and had to go back to normal attacks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

I don't mind people doing gimmick characters and cosplaying but can they please not just hack/mule the poo poo to themself? I know Vendrick's armor makes you look like a GoT character but at least get it legit. I really shouldn't be running into someone wearing it at 400K SM.

I did a Jesus playthrough where I healed everything with warmth and had to do it legit, they should too!

They're dangerous to play against too, because once you know they're hacking you have no guarantee that they won't bork your soul memory or character. When waiting for my coordinated co-op buddy's summon sign to appear in the Forest of Fallen Giants (< 10k soul memory) I got invaded by someone in painting guardian armor and just suicided since someone had ruined another of my characters' soul memory in the same day. I know they could trade items down soul memory brackets to themselves but I doubt most people would bother instead of just cheating their soul memory downward.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ahahahaha what even is this

quote:

It’s the worst and least ethical form of play, taking the naturally constrained single encounters of Chess or Go into the heart of an infinity spiral rotating out from the center of a box of microprocessors built out of a grand network of exploitive labor practices around the world, creating a transfixing hallucination sublimely disassociated from the networks of labor required to produce it.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelthomsen/2014/04/25/is-dark-souls-ii-the-worst-game-ever-made/

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Someone make a character called Royal Sorcerer Navlaan and just invade NG+ FotG forever, please and thank

Pretty sure there's not enough spaces to do that.

Seriously the game should give you way more space for your name.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Whoever designed the lead-up to the chariot fight should be tied down and forced to play it until their fingers fall off. I just want a loving lance in the early game, is that so much to ask? Why even put lances in the game if you're going to gate most of them until near the end???

I don't know how much worse it is in NG+ but on the normal enemies at least, if you have a bow or binoculars + a ranged spell you should be able to attract just 1 at a time.

I thought that run was really annoying but it's kind of just part of a larger problem I have with all 3 souls games, which is the decision to waste your time for no reason if you die on a boss.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 26, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can also drink estus on ladders!

Internet Kraken posted:

Iron Keep was probably the hardest area for me as well. I died a ton in that huge furnace room and hated it so much, and its entirely because of those archers. I never had problems with archers in Dark Souls but my first playthrough of DS 2 had me getting wrecked by archers. Maybe its just because I was out of the groove, but I couldn't shale off the arrows. I was really frustrated going through FoFG because all the archers kept pinning me from across the map. It was getting pretty annoying.

Fast forward to Iron Keep and it goes from annoying to lethal. I hate those loving archers. People say there are safe spots but I can never seem to find them. Every area I think is safe I get shot in. I get shot in the back. I get shot into lava. I get shot trying to open a door. It was just miserable. Now I can speedrun that area pretty easily and avoid the archers pretty well, but gently caress that first time through them was miserable.

Archers are a plague in DS2 because they lead you, their shots travel way faster than in earlier games, and they sometimes shoot twice in a row without reloading when the feeling takes them. If you have a bow you can use poison arrows on that area, it's the only way I got through it without pulling my hair out (you could just shoot the archers a billion times with normal arrows but that takes way longer).

Iron Keep was a pain for me because I didn't know there would be a bonfire after Smelter Demon, so I was like gently caress this I'm sick of "big guy who swings a weapon around that you have to invincibility-frame-roll past" bosses and skipped him. Which meant going through the entire area with no bonfires until the end. That area pretty much taught me that poison is the best thing ever on big enemies and you should use it anytime you can.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Speaking of pvp areas, the best thing is when you see a ghost or whatever they are when you see other people playing the game, and then they get parried. Just a sudden, loud bwaaaaa sound out of nowhere. Blood stains do this too.

Ahahaha I've heard it happen to bloodstains but not normal player ghosts. I hope they never patch this or Looking Glass Knight's turbo sonic boom.

Nahxela posted:

Y-you quoted me saying being naked helps

What if you were naked but still had your armor on

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Weird Corpse Committee checking in with our Monday report:

And my favorite:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Invader tears are wonderful when they already have literally nothing to lose besides either 1 item or nothing at all. In Demon's Souls, invaders lost a level if they died to the environment.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TGLT posted:

Hey, at least you theoretically had a chance. I was consistently invading some one in Heide's that was waiting right by Ornstein's door. I'd come in, he'd go into the boss fight and waste my orb. Six times in a row.

I did this to bell people a couple times because it doesn't cost those fuckers a dime anyway, but this is just lovely to do to blue sentinels.

They're the one kind of invader I can sympathize with because unless you're murdering tons of characters for no reason or invading normally, you shouldn't ever have a reason for the police to come after you. It's pretty much only your fault if you're getting invaded by the polizei. It's pretty hard to get mad at the rat team too since it's just about the only covenant that puts them at risk.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Right as I used the cat ring to land on the rubble in front of the fire geckos to get their items I got invaded. After being pissed that this was the worst possible time to get invaded, I realized it was in fact the best possible time to get invaded.

No enemies were dead except the two hollow soldiers on the way to the rubble drop and I didn't have the key to open the door to the correct way down there, so there was just about no way to get found unless they caught on.

VICTORY

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fact: Spears and halberds have the best backstab animation.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Except that person is completely wrong for two possible reasons: 1) They didn't play Demon's Souls and/or 2) They don't respect Demon's Souls. The actual perfect Souls game would just be Demon's Souls with the broken archstone linking to the Oolacile DLC with most of DaS2's gameplay mechanics/gear/items (except no Soul Memory or ADP, bring back DaS1 bleed, and buff slash/thrust to be equivalent to strike.)

Demon's Souls is really good and I actually enjoyed my first playthrough of it a lot more than Dark Souls 1 for a number of reasons (mainly I thought the difficulty curve was way more sane related to bosses) but it had a lot of problems the two Dark Souls didn't. The world and character tendency thing was incredibly dumb and the upgrade system was almost more baffling than Dark Souls 1's. If I recall correctly there were 11 different upgrade paths, which all split off from one another at different times, but with some random exceptions too, because From Software.

It didn't really seem to understand itself that well either. Like it viewed being human as this super valuable thing that you would only rarely experience and would do everything to recover, but which you would tragically lose soon after each boss which gave your humanity back (or something). But due to the unbelievably stupid mechanic where dying in human form lowered your world tendency by 30%, it was actually a huge liability to run around as human so everyone just suicided in the Nexus instead of taking that risk.

This also meant that if you just wanted to invade or do co-op, you would have to suicide after every successful attempt because it would give you your body back. Which made miracles like Resurrection even sillier--It just gave friendly phantoms you summoned their bodies back and sent them back to their worlds. But there was also a miracle called Banish that kicked invaders back to their world and cost them a level, and I wish that was back.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

For reasons I can't quite recall, I sort of want to do the pig run for the mattock. Is it actually an okay weapon though?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Martman posted:

But... delicious pubby tears!!

Any and all bullshit from the game or from its players is justified because :darksouls: and they should just suck it up. or something.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Genocyber posted:

There's always a bit of a delay (between .5 and 1 seconds I'd say) so hits that look like they should hit won't and hits that don't look like they should hit will. With a bit of experience this will disappear since you'll know what'll hit and what won't. Just like the previous games.

Yes, I never had trouble on Battlefield servers with 500-1000 ping. Just a little practice and it'll be like there's no lag at all! :)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Unrelated to netcode but it bothers me how little phantoms can do now besides just kill enemies now. In Dark Souls 1 you could show hosts pretty much all the secrets and it was awesome, but now you can't interact with almost anything as a phantom. So I can't open illusory walls for the host, I wasn't able to make sound to trigger the enemies to open that one door in the Forest of Fallen Giants that you can't ever open yourself, etc.

I just got summoned in Earthen Peak and the host hadn't burned the windmill yet, and the boss is almost impossible to kill without doing that so I took a torch down there but nope it won't let you do that either. And without turning on voice chat it's kind of hard to communicate "hey you should get a torch and then run back halfway across the level to try to interact with this completely loving random piece of metal that will somehow burn all the windmills which will make the boss way easier for reasons you probably won't think of".

A lot of things about coop were improved (name engraved ring, health bars on the side of the screen, way fewer connection problems etc) but actually being a phantom feels more bland now.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 28, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A few enemies have issues with attacks that deal damage the instant they start to do the attack instead of at a certain point in the animation. Basically when they do the attack, then the moment it starts the game checks if you're in range and hits you with it, instead of whenever you actually should get hit. It means you can randomly get hurt in the middle of your stagger combo or practically as the enemy is dying.

The blobdogs and turbo spiders do it, and I'm told the shadow birds next to NG+ Flexile Sentry do too though I haven't done NG+ so I don't know.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was going to disable the censor but then I saw a summon sign for a very angry looking man called "**** The Pony" and the mystery of the censor actually made it better.

Seriously though it's loving stupid that it doesn't even tell you that your name will be censored before arbitrarily removing the hos or whatever the hell from your name. I got rat team invaded by a Captain Hook who had the whole gimmick down (lucatiel's hat, pirate-looking clothes, rapier and work hook) but of course it was Captain **ok.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The gargoyles don't spawn over time, they appear at certain points in the boss's total health bar. You want to only damage 1 at a time so that you won't activate more gargoyles. If you stick to one gargoyle at a time you should never have to fight more than 3 at once. AOE attacks are a bad idea unless you think you can kill them all that quickly.

Tetracube posted:

The item codes being released recently really shows. 1/3 of the people I've invaded have used the seed of a tree of giants and I'm now getting invaded by redbros every five minutes instead of bluecops.

This would explain why I've been invaded in NG about 8 times now after being told how rare it is. The last time was when I was just going to infuse something with McDuff, an area where I'd already killed all the bosses. It's incredibly stupid that being hollow and killing bosses makes no difference in whether you can be invaded now. Once people start doing this regularly the only way to be invasion-safe will be to burn effigies, ie shut off online completely.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 29, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Hard to get good when you're never summoned. I bet most people who actually do manage to be summoned in as a sentinel are caught completely off guard over it, too. It's like the first few days in the Belfries except it never ends.

Yeah I thought the protector thing sounded really cool before the game came out but the way they implemented it means it hardly ever happens. The first time I got invaded (in Heide's just outside Ornstein's door in fact) my 911 actually did get a response but never after that. Eventually I wanted to do other stuff so I joined the rat team and cheese people. I tried joining the polizei and played with the ring on for 3-4 hours but never got results.

It seems like the only time you're likely to get results is at higher levels when people have min-maxed builds (which is exactly the kind of PvP I avoid), and there's probably almost nobody in the Way of Blue by then anyway. But for what it's worth, the police definitely saved my life the one time they showed up.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

-message system made me laugh a lot. "Try Tongue But Hole" "Try Two-Handing, Chest"

I too thought these messages were hilarious, especially the second time I saw them, and then the third, and also the other times I saw them after that, and the other times too. Every time I start Dark Souls 2 I can't wait for the inevitable barrel of laughs that is the exact same messages replaced over and over in front of every single NPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Luisfe posted:

I am so goddamn bad at the game that it took me more tries for Pursuer's second fight than to beat the Smelter.
:negative:

Pursuer is a bitch and a half. Once you've finished the game it's a lot easier to fight because you've learned how to beat the other 20 "big enemy that swings a big weapon around which you must use invincibility frames to dodge through" bosses, but right after Last Giant it was horrible for me. Even the tiny one in Smelter Demon's arena wasn't fun to fight by then.

Of course it doesn't help that you can't summon anyone for Pursuer without getting killed by your "friends" on the stupid ballistas every. Single. Time.