Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Alwyn posted:

I've been looking for a new graphics card for a while now, but haven't had the money until recently, so I finally got more seriously to researching what card I should take.
Some friends tell me "GO GET R9 290X BRAH", others tell me "Nvidia's high-end is pretty slick".

Anyway, I currently have a Sapphire Radeon HD4870, which still works, but is slowly showing more and more problems as well as low framerates in more recent games (eg. Tomb Raider), even with lower settings.
Besides that, it doesn't support DirectX 11 nor OpenGL 4 (hell, I don't think it supports OpenGL 3). Hell, I even get dropped frames with 1080p 8-bit H264 video's. HELL, I even get some horizontal tearing in higher-kbps 720p videos. ;_;

My monitor's resolution is 1920x1200 and my being not-shitpoor budget is around $800 (wow that's actually a lot of money :D)

I started looking into those R9 290's, but found the reviews meh meh... more recently I started looking into those shiny new 780's.
I am inclining towards the 780's right now, but I'm very open for suggestions (that's why I'm here in the first place).
Another thing to look at is my PSU. It's a Coolermaster Silent Pro Bronze 620W.

If Nvidia, should I get a 780 Ti? Or is that a waste of money and should I get a normal 780 instead? Cards I was specifically looking at are the Gigabyte GV-N78TOC-3G, MSI GTX 780Ti GAMING 3G and its non-Ti variant, and the Asus GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 (seems pretty popular).
If AMD... R9 280X? R9 290? R9 290X? O.O

Cheers!

A 780 is more than enough for 1920x1200. A 770 would be fine. Most people here get 760s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Alwyn posted:

Thanks for the tips, (+ Bude).

Are there any recommendations about brands?
Like are there any I should avoid or look at specifically?
Personally MSI seems cool because it includes Afterburner, but I still remember all the broken motherboards they used to make...

Cheers :)

nVidia doesn't let manufacturers cheap out on their 700 series cards, so they'll all be of good build quality. Look for a quiet one like the MSI TwinFrozr or Asus DirectCU II.

Pretty sure Afterburner can be downloaded for free and will work on any card from any manufacturer, nVidia or AMD. Personally I use Asus GPU Tweak for overclocking my HIS Radeon 7850.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

MJBuddy posted:

It's a bad idea get your wireless from your mobo, right? Just stick with the intel one in the guide and avoid buying the integrated one?

Unless you're using mini-ITX and can't fit a seperate card, then yeah, get the Intel. Your case can impede the wireless signal and slow your poo poo down significantly. For example, I have a USB wireless adaptor. When I plug it into the port on my monitor, I get about 18Mbps. When I plug it into the back of my case, 3 feet away, I get about 3Mbps.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Hadlock posted:

I have two sticks of PC3-12800 (1600MHz) dual Data Rate RAM plugged in to my H87 chipset motherboard (Haswell)

Is it dual data rate per pair, or do I need to install only in pairs of 2 to continue getting the dual data rate?

I have 2x4GB and my home server doesn't need 16GB yet but I do need to upgrade to 12GB

Will adding the third 4GB stick slow down the first two? Thanks

The number of sticks doesn't really make a difference nowadays.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

fleur_de_leet posted:

Looking to pull the trigger on this in the next couple of days. Looking for maxed out 1080p/60fps. Maybe some streaming.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.00 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($289.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1083.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-27 19:52 EDT-0400)

Most of this was recommended from a friend and didn't seem too different than the guide in the OP.

I already have the following:
Monitor/TV
Fractal R4 Case
Keyboard/Mouse
Windows 7/8 key from school

Question: I've seen the recent spec of some games (Watch Dogs, Shadows of Mordor...) recommending an i7...necessary or not? Is it going to be a thing in the next bit?

For 60 FPS maxed out you'll probably want a 770 instead of a 760. Also that's an awful lot of money for a Bronze rated PSU and it's more wattage than you need.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Here's a noodle scratcher. The printing company I work at is moving and we're getting all new computers, printers and scanners next month. The new scanners my boss ordered require a PCI-e slot for some sort of card. The problem is all the computers he just bought are all-in-ones. He hates desktops and really doesn't want to buy any. Are there any external PCI-e boxes that can connect via USB? He wants something like this but for PCI cards instead of hard drives. I tried to explain to him why the demand for such a product would be so small (DACs, USB wireless adapters, the fact that USB is too slow for graphics cards), but he insists they must exist. Do they?

As an aside, why the hell would a loving scanner require an i5 and 8GB of RAM? If it needs that kind of horsepower it might be true that it also requires the bandwidth of PCI-e, but thinks whoever wrote the requirements is an idiot. We'll see.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Ignoarints posted:

Are they really high resolution scanners? Do you know the models?

It's hard to imagine a PCIe thing that runs on USB that isn't pretty complex. But this is so far beyond me. I just want to know what kind of scanner needs a PCIe slot

(how pissed off is he going to be when he finds out he needs a real computer to do real computer things)

Sir Unimaginative posted:

They have those, actually, but only for Thunderbolt ports, and which cost :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:. Can you link the scanner's product page?

Make sure you don't get left holding the bag.

I think it's this. Anyway, he resigned to buying a desktop. I also informed him that i7s are not dual-cores, and that the i5 in his 4 year old laptop is not the exact same chip as the one in my 3 month old desktop. He knows a lot about computers. :rolleyes:

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

NJersey posted:

Hello,

This thread was extremely helpful when I built my first gaming computer about 3-4 years ago. Now I'm looking to upgrade my computer, I have the case and the same or an older version of the PSU, got it about 3 years ago and the same monitor that are in this list.

Again, I'm asking for help in making sure that these parts fit together and will have enough power, etc. PartsPicker said the only incompatibility was that my case doesn't have the front USB ports for the motherboard, is that an issue besides just not having USB's in the front?
Also should I get a CPU cooler?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($192.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($98.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Gladiator 600 ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.80 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
Monitor: Samsung 2333T 23.0" Monitor
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $863.98
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-07 21:24 EDT-0400)

To add to what other people have said, you're missing a HDD. You'll definitely want more than just 120GB. Think about adding a 1TB WD Red.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

frunksock posted:

I haven't paid any attention to CPUs for the past three years or so. I have an i7-2600K (stock clocked) in my gaming PC. Is it just me, or is there absolutely no point in upgrading it? Has CPU performance just hardly improved at all over the past three years? This seems really weird. http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1199?vs=287 If I change the comparison to my 2600K vs the current goon-recommended 4670, it's even closer, with the 2600K actually doing better on several of the measures: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/837?vs=287

I'm playing BF4 with a GTX 780 and the i7-2600K I have now, and I get 70ish fps at 1920x1080 with everything set to low quality, sometimes dipping down to 30-40fps. I would like to get this up to 120fps at whatever quality. It seems like upgrading the CPU probably won't help me towards that end?

Get a decent aftermarket CPU cooler and overclock that bad boy (if your motherboard supports it). 70FPS on low settings with a 780 isn't right. How much RAM do you have?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Kazy posted:

What happened to drive RAM prices up over the last two years?

I built my PC about 2 years ago now, and am looking to upgrade the RAM. The 16 GB (4x4GB) kit I bought for $90 is now $150, and now I'm looking for a 2x8GB kit, but they are around the same price. Why such a huge hike?

e: Just to mention, I've got an ASRock Z77 Extreme4, which can accept anything from 1066 to 2800. It's mainly for video production with Premiere and After Effects.

A lot of the factories that made RAM converted to making Flash memory for phones and tablets and USB drives instead. Supply went down but demand mostly stayed the same, so prices went up.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

vanbags posted:

Radeon 7770 1GB
Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz
ASRock H77M motherboard
Corsair 8GB DDR3
SeaSonic S12II 430W

This is my computer that is a little over a year old. I've only really played WoW on it, but I'm interested in Wildstar and Dragon Age 3 so I figure I'd better pump some money into it. I was eyeing that 750ti linked above, but I wanted to double check and make sure the rest of my computer won't hold me back significantly before throwing down the money. I only have about $300 I'm willing to spend right now.

There's nothing that would hold it back, it's just that a 750Ti isn't a very big step up from a 7770. Not really worth the money. I'd say go for a GTX 760 or R9-280, they're both well under $300 now and they're much bigger upgrades, the 280 especially.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

echinopsis posted:

I'm thinking about getting a 4570i5 on a assrock motherboard. I see that getting a
cooler master cooler
is in vogue. When I buy an Intel processor, it comes with a stock cooler right? I'm not thinking about overclocking... Is it worth it for me?

The only real reason I think it might be is because my case lives in a kind of cabinet that gets less than optimal airflow..

I have been running an AMD processor (X4 620 - stock cooler) in it 24/365 and it seems to run hottish but its doing ok from what I can tell.. and this non-overclocked Intel processor should run a lot cooler than my AMD right?

That CPU and motherboard are from last year. Intel released new stuff very recently, look for the i5 4590 and an H97 motherboard. Though they might not be available in NZ yet. If they aren't the ones you've chosen are fine. It'll come with a cooler, the one you linked to will keep it at around the same temperature but comes highly recommended for being nearly silent.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Your monitor is only 1280x720? That's really low nowadays. If so, a 270x is total overkill. I'd get a 750Ti for like $50 cheaper, it'll still give you good FPS at ultra settings at that resolution. You also probably won't get a good gaming system with an SSD for under $600. You can add that later. Here, this is as close as I could get without cutting any corners too badly:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($87.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.42 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $624.33
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-26 16:53 EDT-0400)

You have a Windows license, right? It'll be an extra $90 if you don't.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 26, 2014

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Rookoo posted:

May I ask what's wrong with corsair CX PSUs? I've been having problems for a while with my PC dying on me when playing games (Which I assume is when it draws the most power) and I've investigated every part apart from the PSU with no luck (Because I assume testing PSUs are kind of a pain in the rear end).

Are they just bad value, or do they experience problems often?

They use cheaper capacitors and are prone to dying early, that's why they have shorter warranties.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Rather Dashing posted:

So I'm about to embark on my first build. I'm happy with the specs that I've got (including a few items left over from my last compy which I plan to replace later in the year), but is there anything I should get other than the items in the OP such as CPU coolant, specific screwdrivers etc?

Phillips head screwdriver is all you need. Maybe an anti-static wristband if you're paranoid. You don't need extra thermal compound, the CPU cooler will come with some.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Spiritus Nox posted:

Parts are ordered and on their way. One last question: How long would the goon hivemind expect me and my dad to spend on our first build? I've heard anything from 30 minutes, which I doubt I'll manage from what I've seen, to 4 hours, which seems like a worst case "I got halfway through and had to start over from the beginning twice" scenario.

2-3 hours, usually. Less if you've got an SSD.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Spiritus Nox posted:

That's what I was thinking. Watching the Newegg tutorial, the only part that intimidates me at all is installing the heatsink on the CPU. Everything else looks tedious at worst.

Installing the CPU itself is nervewracking. It always crunches and sounds like you're breaking it even when you're not.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Unbelievably White posted:

My goal is to reduce the size and noise of my tower, and get an OS better than XP. This machine has been a

I currently have something like this:

CPU: AMD phenom 9600 quad-core (pretty sure it's this one)
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.GA-MA78GM-US2H
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4800 series (pretty sure it's this one)
Storage: Not SSD, but still running fine
Monitor: No idea. It's not widescreen and requires a VGA to HDMI adapter that hangs off back of the tower and makes me nervous to move it.
Case: No idea, complete poo poo. Came with a bunch of cheap noisy fans and gaudy lights. None of the ports on the front have worked since day 1. I bought it cheap and got less than my money's worth.

I apologize for it not being as detailed as some of the other specs here, but my machine is cobbled together from a lot of second-hand stuff. What's there is what is listed in the device manager. I can try to get more detailed information if you need it.

The case, GPU, and monitor are literally from thrift shops, and are the biggest concerns of mine.

What I am looking at:

GPU: Radeon R7 260X 2GB 128-Bit
Case: Corsair 250D

Any monitor will do as long as it's compatible with the above (still reading the other thread). My hard drives are doing fine, and I was hoping that my CPU is adequate. Is the smaller case worth the effort?

Your existing motherboard won't fit in that case.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
$27 for a 550W Seasonic? :psypop:

Edit: I actually have that same one. Paid $55 for it and that was a good deal.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

deimos posted:

Wait, the bronze is SS too? I thought it was a different manufacturer.

Johnny Guru says it is. I've seen a few people in this thread say the same thing.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

nilumtil posted:

I'm trying to decide the best option to upgrade my aged system, especially given costs. My main goal is that if I spend like $450 or more, I should be able to play AAA console port games, 1080p/max settings, shooting for 60fps but 40 would be acceptable. I was hoping to keep up with a PS4, performance wise, and for longer than like 3 months if possible.

Current System:
CPU:i3-3220
GPU:XFX GT-430X-CAF2 GeForce GT 430 2GB
Motherboard:MSI B75MA-P45
RAM:Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 RAM - PC10666, 1333MHz
Power Supply:Ultra LSP550 550-Watt Power Supply
Storage:WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB Desktop Hard Drive - 3.5" SATA, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache

So I am really not sure what's going to give me the best bang, or bang/buck ratio. I'm going with a $460-500 budget, unless I *really* need to get a newer mobo, cpu, ram, psu, etc in which case I can stretch that to double... but would prefer not to.

Original thinking: i5-4570, GTX760, install on current mobo, etc
New thinking: GTX 770 or 280x/290x (used?), Samsung 120gb Evo.
Possible: Start from scratch, i5-4690k, oc board, better ram, PSU, etc... then the GTX770 and Samsung Evo. I should be able to do this for ~900? If it's worth all that extra money. I really would prefer to not do this if my current stuff is fine. What would this get me at 1080p/max? 10fps? 20?

edit: Whoops, that's a pair of the 4gb RAM. So GPU first, and then probably a i5 4570/90 replacement? Will the board & ram hold me back, given that the ram is actually 8gb, though not great speed-wise? I'm also figuring the CPU will hold me back at some point, but would the i3-3220 to i5-4570 be like $200 for 20+fps or like 5-10? Sorry, I'm not familiiar with newer hardware.

If I were you I'd get a used 290 with a custom cooler and a transferable warranty, and a new PSU from the OP. I've never heard of Ultra brand but it sounds like an electrical fire waiting to happen. Your CPU is fine for the time being, a new i5 would be ~$300 for maybe 5-10 FPS at most. The 290 is a bitchin' card. The GTX 770 is in that same price range if you don't want a used mining card, and nVidia has arguably better drivers, but it's slower.

BTW as far as your first option goes, the 4570 won't work with your current motherboard, it uses a different socket. You'd want a 3570 which is less of an upgrade from what you have now.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

nilumtil posted:

Indulge the less knowledgeable, if you will:

Do you think I can get away (say for only a month) running a 290x on that PSU (Ultra LS550) on this system? I understand enough to know that it apparantly has the two six-pin pcie power supply cords, and that the wattage means next to nothing. Will it work at all? This would mean *having* to get a new PSU instead of the SSD, at least immediately.

If I quoted the wrong i5 number, I had intended another LGA1155 4th generation i5. Is this a featureset thing (My B75 is LGA1155), or me quoting a non-LGA1155 CPU model on accident?

Also, I know this bit may be more suited to the GPU thread (I may bring it up there): What would a good or fair price be for a mining-used 290x? 250, or is the 300 they seem to be going for more fair? MSI and Gigabyte are the S/N-based warranty issuers, any of the other brands like Sapphire? Is the whole thing to get the card used and RMA it immediately, or hope that it wears out within the time limit and do a legit RMA if you need to. Is that even likely, or are GPUs lasting long enough that the mining should be a minimal impact on lifespan?

Your questions are getting a little bit beyond my expertise, but I'll answer the best I can. Hopefully someone more knowledgable can elaborate or correct me if I'm wrong.

I wouldn't try to use such a powerful card with that power supply. Less reputable PSUs like that one don't actually put out as many watts as they say they do, and if you overload it you could have a failure that can destroy your whole computer, or if you're really unlucky, your whole house. The 290x is significantly more expensive than the plain 290 (they're different cards), you can get a 290 and a really good PSU for the same price as a 290x. That $27 XFX model a few posts up is the steal of the century, and the 290 is still stupidly good for 1080p, you'll get solid 60 FPS at 1080p/max settings on most games.

If you're mostly concerned about gaming, an SSD doesn't increase frame rates except in MMOs and open world games. They're great for non-gaming, I'll never go back, but I'd still get a new PSU before an SSD. The power supply is the most important component in your machine.

The 4th generation (Haswell) Intel processors use socket 1150, not 1155. Your motherboard is 1155 which supports 2nd generation (Sandy Bridge) and 3rd generation (Ivy Bridge) only.

On eBay used 290x's with custom coolers start at about $400. The reference cooler ones are $300-350 but are much louder. That's actually a lot cheaper than I realized, might be worth it if you can deal with the noise or if you wear headphones when gaming.

You wouldn't RMA the card until it stops working or otherwise fucks up. I'm pretty sure buying a used one and immediately RMAing it to get a new one would constitute fraud. At best, they'll test it, find out it works fine, and just send it back to you. The 200 series is new enough that they shouldn't be too worn out from mining just yet. It should last until it's obsolete enough that you'll want a new one. Just don't buy a used 7000 series, those are 2 years old.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

HalloKitty posted:

I think 'most games' is downplaying it even

I'm thinking of console ports that are so shittily coded that they won't run smoothly no matter how much machine you throw at it. Watch_Dogs being the newest one. I was playing KOTOR a few weeks ago and getting frame rate dips into the teens, and that game is 11 years old.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Wengy posted:

My rig (i5 3570k, 8 GB RAM, 660 Ti) runs Watch Dogs like utter poo poo on ultra. What do I need to buy to make the game run well?

A console.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Spiritus Nox posted:

Something I was just thinking about now that all my poo poo's ordered - everything I need should come with whatever cables I need to get everything wired correctly, right? Or will I need to buy an SATA cables or anything like that?

Here's a link to my build, if anyone needs it: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Spiritus/saved/nnL48d

You're gonna need an extra SATA cable. The motherboard comes with 2 and you need 3.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Karl Sharks posted:

Would like a look over of the list I've gotten together. Stuck more or less to suggestions from the OP, and obviously I'll replace the CPU as suggested when the second rolls around, but was going to probably go ahead and order the rest tonight or maybe tomorrow. I think it's fairly obvious it's built for serious gaming. I pretty much only watch TV/movies on my PC, but I'm not an aficionado so unless that monitor is garbage (which I've read it's high quality for its low price) then I won't complain. I had a bit of trouble picking between things like the motherboard, video card, etc when the OP just has "get this manufacturer and type" but there's a decent spread between prices. I hope generally picking towards the cheaper end isn't a huge mistake. :v: FYI, got a cheap wireless adapter because my desktop will mostly be in my room on campus, where I have an ethernet outlet not even 3 feet from where it'll be and I like having it plugged in regardless of having wireless on or not.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Xb3hK8
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Xb3hK8/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Xb3hK8/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card ($339.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ Micro Center)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Havoc Wired Laser Mouse ($54.17 @ Amazon)
Total: $1424.01
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-31 17:33 EDT-0400)

If you do end up going with the 4670K instead of Devil's Canyon, don't expect to get a good overclock out of it with a Hyper 212.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Pretty sure steam controller is delayed until 2015 =[. Is it just DS4 that has good support? I have a few DS3s but I was under the impression they were annoying to get working with a PC.

Getting my DS3 to work was surprisingly easy. Used MotionInJoy and XInputWrapper to get it working specifically in PCSX2, it works in everything else too.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Tempest_56 posted:

Doing my first new build since high school. I'm mostly looking for a reasonably budgeted, mid-range machine - a couple of games, not looking to overclock, etc. More or less put it together from the suggested parts in the OP. I've already picked up a few parts (case, fan, HD), but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for a double check/suggestions about where I can boost performance or longevity while keeping it at/around $1000. (The monitor is the big throw-away piece, I'll probably just grab whatever Woot has up for a good deal on a 1920x1080.)

PCPartPicker part list
Price breakdown by merchant
Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($87.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($95.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($229.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($62.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VX228H 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Wired Network Adapter: StarTech ST1000BT32 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI Network Adapter ($11.95 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1017.82

That's a bad monitor. Get one with an IPS panel. And lose the wired network adapter, like fletcher said.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

nebby posted:

I just put together my build thanks to the help in this thread. I sprung for the EVGA GTX 780 Ti, god drat this thing is sweet. And yeah getting the EVO on there without loving up was kind of a bitch, but managed to get the thing to boot on the first try. (This never happens, at least for me.) Only catch was I ended up having to take off and remount the mobo half way through because of the loving sound daughter card the mobo came with needs to be mounted before you install the mobo (because the audio jacks need to be slotted through the port panel.) Other than that went smoothly and it runs like a dream. I bought a Z97 board in the end even though I am not overclocking since my plan is in 3-4 years to upgrade the CPU and GPU and probably will overclock it then.

Also my only point of reference are cases from 10-12 years ago but the Corsair case was a real dream to work with. Great cable management, efficient use of space, etc. Basically was one step ahead of me the whole time and kept me from making a few mistakes probably.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Superclocked Video Card ($679.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Dell U2713HM 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($579.99 @ Adorama)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2357.86

If you buy a new CPU in 3-4 years you'll need a new motherboard.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
You have to do it on a 64-bit OS. Microsoft won't let you download the 64-bit version of Windows if the machine your using is running 32-bit. You can check in the "System" section of the control panel.

I'm not sure if you can do it on a Mac.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Thumbtacks posted:

I have a Windows 7 CD for a 64-bit version, I'm wondering if I can just put that on a USB and boot from there. My laptop is 64-bit as well so I don't think that will be a problem.

That should work fine, just follow the guide.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I have the Harman Kardon Soundsticks III and they're pretty great. I actually took them off my PC and hooked them up to my turntable.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

sebmojo posted:

My goon approved build is still running blindingly well (r9 270x, i5 4570, 8 gig) but I'm eyeing up an ips screen like the Dell U2412M to replace my TN Dell 24 incher. Unfortunately I can't find one to actually look at anywhere in my home town to decide whether it's worth it.

What level of eye candy upgrade is going from a competent TN screen to a competent IPS one? This is for gaming.

It's quite noticable. You get used to it after awhile. After I'd had mine for a few months I hooked up my old TN screen as a 2nd monitor and the difference is amazing. The TN just looks so washed out and bland.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

VirtualStranger posted:

I don't really know much about monitors. I need an inexpensive 1920x1080. The Asus VS series ones appear to be very common and they're pretty cheap. Is there anything wrong with them?

As Hace said it's not an IPS panel, also it only has a VGA connector so you'd need an adapter to hook it up to a modern video card. Don't buy that. The Dell S2240M is a much better monitor for $10 less.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 14, 2014

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Zohn posted:

Well, it turns out for :10bux: cheaper I can get a R9 270 instead of a R7 265 from the same maker, so unless this is one of those things where the numbering is counterintuitive I think this and a tube of Arctic Silver will be ordered tomorrow. I always like to sleep on big purchases.

Regardless, I've spent a week checking out various system building guides and this thread was by far the most helpful, so thanks a lot OP. Appreciated.

Don't buy a $30 power supply. Also you don't need the Arctic Silver.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
You definitely don't need a 1TB SSD. Also a 290x is way overkill for one 1080p monitor. It's appropriate if you get a 1440, though.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

SolitarySolidarity posted:

I already own the Z77 & 3570k. Are they not good anymore? I should just scrap this thing?

I already have a Corsair vx550w, but I thought that was a little weak by todays standard? I was originally shopping for a 7970 but I think I may switch to nVidia.

That PSU got really good reviews when it was released, but that was back in 2007. I'd get a new one if it's more than 2-3 years old. 550W is fine for a single video card.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Caddrel posted:

My friend was going to buy an Intel i5-4590 and MSI B85M-G43, but now the new motherboards are out and the choices are a little confusing.

Is the CSM-H87M-G43 just as good, or does he have to go with the H97M? Both of those are more expensive than the old B85M, so if the B85M will work the same he'd like to go with that.

From my understanding (I may be wrong), the older 85/87 require a BIOS update for Haswell Refresh processors. So unless you have an older Haswell CPU lying around that you can use long enough to update the BIOS, it won't boot. You want an H97 board.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Araganzar posted:

Here's my current system, I don't know much about current motherboards or processors but there is a Newegg combo for $30 off on the two I chose. I may want to stream at some point so I'd like a system that can handle that.

Budget: $1000-$1200
Purpose:: Games, Photoshop/Illustrator, Music and Video Editing

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.00 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Speakers: Logitech Z523 30W 2.1ch Speakers ($77.36 @ Amazon)
Total: $909.29

I already have 2 ASUS VS247s but I would upgrade one if there's an option that's easier on the eyes (I get eyestrain and headaches sometimes from monitors)...

I'd bump it up to 16GB of RAM, sell those monitors and get one with an IPS panel. I hear the Dell Ultrasharps are very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
A 7950 won't quite cut it for 1440p/60. I'd get a used 290x, they're well under $400 and trade blows with a 780Ti.

Or you could crossfire. Better performance but more headaches.

• Locked thread