Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

Frank decided to pick up the mantel in the regular continuity.

That was such a great arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yeah, Strange is an awesome character that is nigh-impossible to write well; his powerset is quite literally 'do whatever the plot requires,' which makes it hard to keep the dramatic tension in a story high. That is one of the reasons why no one buys his books; basically every comics writer has a Doctor Strange pitch they'd love to write but Marvel knows full well they'd lose money because they always lose money.

The original Lee/Ditko Strange Tales are probably your best bet, A_Ruse!, and Mark Waid had a Strange mini a few years back that I quite enjoyed; also, Matt Fraction's Defenders was a Doc Strange story at heart and was also awesome, so give that a try.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gatts posted:

Is Soule good? I haven't read anything by him.

I also bought the $75 Infinity collection and it rules. Also has the Surfer comics in there.

His She-Hulk is a lot of fun.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gatts posted:

He's a bad bad guy again? Sigh, how loving lame.

He's not so much a 'bad bad guy' so much as, as has been stated, a Mutant Punisher; he's willing to go way, way past what a hero would find 'acceptable' in order to protect mutantkind, but he's still doing terrible things for a valid reason.

That we can argue whether or not his actions are at all justified is, I suspect, part of the point.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

I believe it was part of Byrne's campaign to make any appearance of Doom that he did not like to be a Doombot.

That, plus a healthy dose of "gently caress you Chris," given that the scene being retconned occurred in Claremont's X-Men.

The parting of the Byrne/Claremont team was... not all that amicable, as I understand it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ronya posted:

the interruption of so many of the good titles so that Original Sin can happen makes me a sad :(

The structure of Original Sin, to be fair, does seem to lend itself nicely to tie-ins - not quite the infamous "red skies Crisis tie-ins" but as close as you can get while still being halfway decent.

That is to say, the tie-in issues are all about "secrets get revealed." The writers have known this poo poo is coming for ages now; you think they haven't planned it out? Hell, Bendis is apparently finally getting around to the reveal of 'How I Invalidated The End Of The Thanos Imperative' in the Guardians of the Galaxy tie-ins, just as an example.

I mean, it's comic books. "Secrets get revealed!" is a thing that happens in almost every comic story ever. Mandating that books have a Reveal Some Secrets Event is kind of like mandating that 'this month, all the books have to contain a gratuitous fight scene' or 'this month, a horrible spine-warping malady forces female characters into unrealistic positions where the reader can see their tits and their rear end at the same time.' It's poo poo that's gonna happen anyways, just with a sweet-looking branding.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm a bad reader who rarely looks at the name of the writer before I read an issue. I'm genuinely surprised to find out that the Silver Surfer I've been reading and enjoying so much is written by Dan Slott. It's years ahead of his Spider-Man work. I'm really digging it.

The Doctor Who comparisons are unavoidable. But I have to say if the last few seasons of Doctor Who were like these last few issues of Silver Surfer, it would be a much better show. Maybe the BBC should fire Steven Moffat and replace him with Slott.

As someone who doesn't watch Doctor Who, all I can say is if you want him, you take him; maybe it'll get him off Spider-Man.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Vindicator posted:

I basically ran here to say that. Jesus, Moon Knight :black101:

Yeah, "Moon Knight Does The Raid:Redemption" was loving awesome.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

She is in Spurrier's X-Force run. The last issue was about her.

Yeah, without giving anything away... go read Spurrier's X-Force.

It is vastly better than I expected, and is becoming a lot of fun.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

I do like that Moon Knight is acting as the protector of those who travel at night. It's like, oddly comforting to have a hero specifically for that.

That was Khonsu's deal, really; he was a lunar deity, and so was associated with the night time and with travel (because of the moon's 'travel' across the sky at night). He was, quite literally, the god of 'the light in the darkness.'

That it's taken this long for someone to make that explicit with Marvel Khonshu is the surprising part, really.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Thinking on it, I believe Magneto was first referred to as "Erik Lensherr" in X-Men Unlimited #3, which served as a prologue/lead-in to the Fatal Attractions event.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

So I read the new Hawkguy with my partially-deaf wife. She drat near cried. It was delightful.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

Because of your recommendation I picked this up. I haven't read any other Deadpool comics before but I laughed at so much of this issue

I picked up Hawkeye Vs. Deadpool based on krakagar's recco as well, and let me just echo - it was surprisingly fun! I enjoyed the hell out of it!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

How old do you think he's writing her? I could say anywhere between 16 and 30.

While it's Fraction under discussion, in Gillen's Young Avengers Kate was intended to be just-about-to-turn-18.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Nope, going back and looking at YA #11, she says she's "so close to 21." I was wrong, y'all were right. Oops!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Guardians 3000 was actually sort of vaguely enjoyable.

Also if Black Widow became The Adventures Of Black Widow And X-23 I would buy multiple copies every month without fail.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep. I am pretty sure all books other than Avengers are there.

Yeah, the only books that are 'eight months later' (soon to be seven months, and then six, and so on) are Hickman's Avengers books; they had a timeskip that the other books will, reportedly, catch up to.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

With New Warriors (sadly, shamefully) canceled, it seems to me like this would be the perfect book for Kaine and Aracely to guest-star in.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I assume Peter's general reaction is "Geez, kid, I went on one date with her!"

"Yes, we dated. Let's just leave it there. That's where she left it..."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

E the Shaggy posted:

I get the feeling this could very well lead to the fabled Marvel reboot.

Never happen.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yeah, my hunch re: all these 'event books' being announced is that they tie in to Hickman's Secret Wars (which itself is probably going to be the natural culmination of his Avengers/NA run), whether as some kind of story beat or as featured universes or what have you. It'll be a big event about big events, a meta-event, if you will.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gavok posted:

The radiation also has a terrible effect on Fandral. It transforms him into a rage-filled womanizer. A randy savage, if you will.

The only way to stop them is to go to Miles Morales' dimension. We need the Ultimate Warriors Three.

Come up with some way to turn Volstagg into Andre the Giant and have Tony Stark replaced by his Arabic counterpart the Iron Sheik and you've got a winner.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dear BSS:

Please read Rocket Raccoon #5. You will thank me later.

Love, DivineCoffeeBinge

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I was wondering, it isn't covering part of the Captain Marvel/Rocket team up thats been going on in her book lately?

Nope, not even a little bit. It's its own little slice of crazy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, that's what he meant by an android. Ultimate Mysterio was just an android that 616 Mysterio was remote controlling from across dimensions.

Uhhhh technically that would be called a 'waldo' and...
:goonsay:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

redbackground posted:

Apropos of nothing, but I'm making my way through my Doom 2099 hardcovers, and John Francis Moore can come back to write Doom anytime he wants--he gets him just as drat well as current writers like Hickman and others who are also just nailing it these days. It is a pleasure to read!

I really like JFM's work, but he seems to have dropped off the map; what'd he decide to go off and do, does anyone know?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

I haven't read Punisher yet but drat, Black Widow was good. Isaiah. :smith:

I'd've felt more moved by Isaiah's situation had we not just seen him get kidnapped like three issues ago.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

The Goon posted:

As an original New Warriors reader I do :smith:

:smith: :hf: :smith:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

The fact that Squirrel Girl doesn't look like a supermodel makes me more likely to buy the book, personally.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

You mean there's a HYDRA agent among the Great Lakes Avengers nooooooooooooooooooo

It's Flatman isn't it

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

It is literally the only reason I can think of for them to run with Squirrel Girl, a repeatedly proven flop, instead of any other existing character.

Then you clearly haven't had a lot of experience with this 'thinking' thing. Get more practice.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

quote:

“In all honesty, the story that you’re going to get in Deadpool #250, is a story that we really have been building to since the first issue of Deadpool NOW,” says Gerry Duggan, who has co-written the series with Brian Posehn since its most recent relaunch. “And it will absolutely feel – it will feel, I hope, readers will think that this is an appropriate end for this Deadpool.”

Emphasis mine. That's an... interesting phrasing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

In the hilarious/terrible MANGAVERSE F4 Reed only ever stretched his brain to become regular Reed smart by enhancing his dendrites in some technobabble way. That may have been the first time the idea came up, but I doubt it.

Nah, it's been bandied about that Reed's intellect - which was already high even if he forgot to add radiation shielding to his experimental spacecraft - increased dramatically once he got his stretchy powers because he subconsciously uses them to shift his brain around when he needs to do some serious thinking. I (seem to) remember it being mentioned in the Fantastic Four supplement for the Marvel Super Heroes RPG, and that was published in 1987, so it had to have been at least suggested in the comics probably at least two years prior.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Wanderer posted:

Actually, the more I think about it, the more this reminds me of how they used the old Heroes Reborn thing to conveniently erase a bunch of silly poo poo they didn't want to deal with, like Janet van Dyne being a giant bug lady or the whole "teenage Tony Stark" thing.

ding ding ding!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Thanks! What's he up to these days?

Not a drat thing, sadly.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

When they had a black guy take on the role of Bucky that lasted for about two issues before they changed it after getting angry letters. If you really think Marvel is going to call Miles Spider-Boy you're out of your mind.

They've got two Hawkeyes running around, they can have two Spider-Men.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

The fact that the Mighty Avengers has become the Black People Avengers So They Don't Have To Bother The Largely Lily-White Avengers does kind of suck. It's okay, we can all admit that.

That doesn't mean it's not a brilliant, fun, enjoyable book.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Pretty sure Hank joining Team Beard doesn't mean he's being film-synergized at all, really, unless you expect to see Captain Falcon soon.

The kneejerk "this must be happening because of movies" response is kinda ridiculous, IMHO, given that every time they do adjust their characters to reflect the films it usually ends up being ignored inside six months and no one cares.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Bendis is leaving the X-Men books soon, what franchise is left for him to ruin?

I kid, I kid. But seriously, I wonder what he's going to do for Marvel next.

He'll probably just stay on GotG to free up room for his Powers TV work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

gfanikf posted:

So what's the general take on Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel? Always liked Captain Marvel due to Jennifer Hale voicing her in Avengers EMH and just the character in general. Had a chance to read the Christmas and really enjoyed it even with not knowing too much of what was going on overall in the story (who is the women in the hospital). Art was very lovely too.

Ms. Marvel seems interesting too even if she's one of "those people" resident of New Jersey.

I also figured with a young daughter it's always nice to give her access to nice female role models.

Captain Marvel is... dammit, I want to love that book so much, I feel like DeConnick has a really good grasp of what makes Carol Danvers awesome and she writes her with a distinctive, interesting voice... but the stories just consistently fail to grab my attention.

Ms. Marvel is a delight and everyone should read it. Everyone. Unless they're allergic to memes, apparently.

• Locked thread