Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

DangerDan posted:

Maybe he confused aatrek with Dukat and kids with bajorans? I mean it's a lot to keep track of in this topsy-turvy Star Trek world.

Are you saying Dukat touches bajorans inappropriately? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Does Sensor Analysis really outperform an additional spire tac console?

It's sensor analysis plus whatever extra console you now have room for vs. a additional spire tac console.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Should we put babby's first endgame gear loadout at the front of the thread? By my understanding, when you first hit 50 and you're not into understanding how it works and more complex tactics, this is almost certainly what you're gonna start off with from the reps regardless of ship, and then people can ask for advice about the rest of the fleet consoles to fill it out with and we can all argue about +Neutronium vs Monotanium. Feel free to correct me.

[Gravimetric Photon Torpedo Launcher Mk XII] (if you want a torpedo)
[Kinetic Cutting Beam Mk XII [Dmg]x3]

[Assimilated Subtranswarp Engines Mk XII]
[Assimilated Deflector Array Mk XII]
[Dyson Regenerative Shield Array Mk XII]
[Elite Fleet Reinforced Warp Core Mk XII [SEP] [W->S] [SCap] [AMP] [SST]]
[Some Singularity Core I Have No Idea Here]

[Subspace Field Modulator] (reward from the mission "Skirmish")

[Console - Universal - Plasmonic Leech]
[Console - Universal - Assimilated Module]
[Console - Zero-Point Energy Conduit]
[Console - Universal - Nukara Particle Converter]

[Console - Tactical - Vulnerability Locator Mk XII [+YourEnergyType]] x All your tac slots.

There's a lot of guides up on the wiki all out of date and telling you to get the MACO bonus or the Omega set or all over the place who drat knows and it's all out of date.

Put it in the wiki instead I say and do feel free to update any outdated article that you come across.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Lorak posted:

The game is offended by your ship's color scheme and doesn't want to risk you making any more characters flying things like that.

I know it isn't quite the right shade of pink but we shouldn't be perfectionists about these things...

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Man, John De Lancie did such great work in that role.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

When I logged in today for some free lobi I was totally unprepared for what awaited me. It began like a session like any other; say hi in the channel and check what the duty officers have brought this time. That's when I saw it: "Evaluate Orion Tactical Bridge Officer Applicant", only a rare result so it was less likely to be useful but one never knows. Little did I know what lurked behind the innocuous reward icon...

I now sit here, a man broken by the knowledge that things lurk in the dark expanse of space. Things that man was not meant to see. Things too horrible to behold. I only hope that my tale serves as a warning for others...

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Purple female Orion candidates actually go really expensive on the exchange if you get 'em.

I know! That's why I did it! That why... But don't you see? Don't you see where it brought me?! My very mind, my essence cracked by a blue horror from the abyss!

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

dangersandwich posted:

I stopped playing a bit after season 8 came out. I destroyed all the PvE content (including ground STFs) and also what little there was of the PvP scene.

Is there anything in S9 worth coming back for or is it just more of the same?

It's not more of the same actually. Season 9 changed the game completely into a Cooking Mama like game except focused more on presenting a balanced difficulty curve while still staying true to the spirit of Klingon cuisine. I also think that the addition of Occulus Rift support really makes the new cell-shaded graphics come to life but reaction have been mixed so I'll leave it up to you whether or not you enjoy that particular aspect or not. All in all I'd say that it's probably all for the best.

Also, if you do decide to check it out I'd recommend respeccing into singing fast-food vendor since gagh is a bit overpowered at the moment.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Support cruiser retrofit.

And the Mirror Heavy Cruiser since it has the same boff layout.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Torlacictus posted:

so how is the child molestering fleet going?
i imagine ya'll still defend aatrek, conquistador, epw, et al

You keep going on and on about this and I don't even know what the hell you're talking about. Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, you should just stop posting and think about what you're doing with your life?

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Morglon posted:

Armitage is awesome but the Avenger is Branflakes ship. So yes, you should be ashamed.

I'd like to think that the Avenger is good enough to overcome that flaw and still make something of itself.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

It's a testament to how non-transparent all the mechanics of this game are when I have no idea whether or not you guys are just taking the piss or not. I mean on the one hand it would take a shitload of boxes to figure out and it's a really stupid system but on the other hand I know that some of you have enough in-game riches to basically buy the game twice over and still have money left and Cryptic isn't exactly known for their brilliant design decisions.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Korgan posted:

Prepare for the worst pubbies ever that may make you want to kill yourself.

The man came here from EVE, I'm pretty sure he knows all about pubbies.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Morglon posted:

What the gently caress did I just read?

Do not try to understand for through understanding you will gain nothing but sorrow.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Baller Time posted:

So, this just happend. After the first reaction to the second Disco Ball, I was already hooked. But boy.

I might be missing some backstory here?
Also I'm apparently paid by you guys. I take a Recluse or Galor, tia!

Well, I thought I knew who that was but there wasn't a single mention of having a dead child so I can't say I do. Seriously though, I'm pretty sure that's the guy that thinks we're running some kind of campaign of terror against him and his, supposedly, dead son.

Ps. Love the tab name there. :D

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

faxmachine posted:

Thought I'd share the last bits of the bitchfest that got shutdown this morning.

And then, out of nowhere...

And lo, as is foretold in the Book of Butts, did the moderator descend into the depths of the forum to smite the unworthy and the broken for their trespasses against the worthy, the just and the true, amen.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

One of cryptics ship artists posted about the new Risa ship in reddits speculation thread.

"I'm gonna guess it's a ship, with things and stuff, and it shoots and stuff too, also. I think it will fly and be a thing. Just a hunch though..."

link

He's got inside information so I think we can trust what he's saying here.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Taerkar posted:

You say that like it's not the only way to build it.

It isn't. You can also go full polaron (preferably dominion) for maximum pink. :allears:

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Aleth posted:

What Dental wants Dental gets, remember? :smug:

Then why isn't there a cowbell available in the game?

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Or real holodecks at all. Like, you get a taste with the new fed tutorial but you can't even go to a holodeck on your ship and just be like, "computer, ERP Cave Program Mk1.0" you need to actually fly to Risa.

Maybe Starfleet has finally realized how much of a deathtrap those things really are and thus restrict their usage? :v:

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

One of the fun new ships is the possibility of the stargazer/constellation with a console that allows the ship to do the picard maneuver.

Not sure how a ship would be able to do the Picard Maneuver. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2o77i74T48

Unless it's the Mega Maid or those retarded Outlaw Star ships...

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Morglon posted:

The canon Picard Maneuver is a short warp jump so you create a sensor echo and appear to be in two places at once. Then some Ferengi tries to murder you because he's dumb.

Look, that Picard maneuver was used like twice or something whereas the real one was used in every episode. :colbert:

And since I'm a giant nerd I already knew that it was a warp jump but that isn't funny.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I'm surprised they didn't throw a warp core in.

Too much work since then they'd have to make a singularity as well or the sheer amount of whining would DDOS the servers.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

AirborneNinja posted:

If the Feds had a proper carrier Mirandas would probably be the frigates.

A Miranda is still a full starship so it makes very little sense to have them as carrier pets. Something like the Aquarius is a better fit to be honest.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Flagrant Abuse posted:

You can have BoPs as carrier pets, though.

The Miranda class is a 200 man vessel (according to STO) whereas the Klingon Bird of Prey has a crew complement of 6 or so according to canon and 30 in-game. There is also a significant size difference.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

286 stacks of crystalline doom. It would've been more but apparently I had STO set to take screenshots without the UI so I had to grab this one from the windows clipboard. :smith:

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Under what conditions do I want mines on my ship?

Well, there are a few situations when mines are the right choice but most of them involve the words "brain" and "damage" so make of that what you will.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

On a scale of 1 to Risa level bullshit how tedious is it going to be for me to get this year and the previous years breen ships?

If it's the same as last year then it's going to be about two weeks worth of ice skating on two characters if you haven't gotten either of the ships before. Three characters if they add a new one this year which is very likely. Mind you, this is if they do the same as with the Risa ships where you only needed one days worth of activities to claim a ship on a character if you had already claimed it on another char.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Uziduke posted:

I assume that its like Neverwinter and you get box drops and even lower %key drops. So you say to sell the keys and its good profit? Also do Star Trek Goons take total newbies of the game?

Well, that's technically correct since 0% chance to drop keys is indeed lower than whatever the chance is for lockboxes to drop...

Mr Wikstroem fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 7, 2015

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Guys guys guys, we're not idiots. We're iidiots, whatever that is.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

DarkMalfunction posted:

Do you pronounce it as "gif" or "gif"? Or perhaps something else entirely?

Remember you either say giff and jaypeg or jiff and gaypeg. Choose wisely

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Mastercard took several minutes to go through and according to the counter I was among the first to give money. Is the server being hosted on a C64 with internet through a old-timey modem or something?

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Doesn't matter, they added a way to delete multiple mails at once so it's all good.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Technical Analysis posted:

They do. Fly up to them and click the button to access their special doff missions. If they don't show up, you got hosed by RNGesus. Try again at the next rollover.

The autopilot will usually stop short of where you need to be to see the button however since you need to be within 1.5 spacekilometers and it stops at 2.5 or something similar.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Zoerp posted:

Hey goons I got some keys for various starter ships, free to a good home.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/redeem

http://pastebin.com/ndG9whLk

Thanks, that's very generous of you. I picked up one of the Delta Flyers so EY9VGlZ7 I guess...

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Tuskin38 posted:

I was kind of hoping for a TOS Style Miranda.

I want a T6 Miranda refit.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Nessus posted:

They been saying that since I got here

Of course they have. SA, much like everything and everyone else, is dying and getting closer to death with each moment that passes. Nothing can halt the endless march of time that heralds the onset of entropy.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Are reputation item sets usually better than quest sets? I don't see why I should spend a bazillion time and dil rather than do a quest 3 times.

Not necessarily but the Iconian 4-piece is the best in the game last I checked.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

So, I've apparently come into possession of three account bound master keys. Any suggestion on what box to use them on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

I love how the german word for battlecruiser can be translated as slaughtercruiser. :black101:

• Locked thread