Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

atomicgeek posted:

That was part of the JMS run. (It was a favorite of mine, too.) I liked that his writing was true to the sort of, what, wiseass blue collar Spidey thing while at at the same time forcing Peter to grow up in a lot of ways.

I also think he nailed how May would react to finding out about Spider-Man. Such a shame they rolled that back because it just played out perfectly.

Speaking of nailing Spider-Man, the one guy who wrote Spider-Man stuff that, looking back, seems way way off: Erik Larsen.

I like his art (except that he can't draw the Hulk, at all), and his (artistic) approach to Peter/MJ/Ock are all fantastic. But his writing approach seemed to miss the intent of the classic books he was going for.

When he brought back the Sinister Six (with new member... Gog?), his idea was to give everyone in the Six big guns. I know that was the style at the time, but it was just too thick with mindless crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kainser posted:

Come on Peter, Spider-man being able to sense danger would be obvious to anyone that teams up with him as often as Iron Man.

Like 37 people know he has a Spider-Sense. The Green Goblin (Norman) even came up with a gas that nullified it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

The love triangle stuff was also due to John Romita Sr. (The best Spidey artist) coming on board. He was most famous for doing romance comics, so that element was added more to Spidey.

When I was a little kid (in the 80s), Marvel would reprint 3 issues of a classic title into a mini-trade paperback. I got to read a ton of Romita/Lee Spidey this way, and the stories they put together are still fantastic today. I wish they'd bring those back.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

That element was certainly deliberate. Peter's future was very uncertain in the early comics: he usually didn't do things for the right reasons, he gave in to rage and desperation more often than not, he was mistrusted and disliked by most of the public... that element of "which way is he going to go" was part of what made the Lee/Ditko comics so interesting. I mean, yeah, in the end he always did the right thing, but they kept you guessing. He even turned tail and ran a bunch of times instead of stepping up to the plate, which is the biggest no-no for a classic superhero.

Now we're left with a character so thoroughly established as a good guy that even hesitation to do the right thing is seen as out of character, and any instance of being mistrusted by someone that isn't Jonah Jameson seems like a strange trope that has no reason to exist anymore. There have been a lot of great stories told with the more grown-up Spidey who's firmly a hero, but some of the magic of the classic stories is lost, which is a shame.

Of course, we've had a lot of people who try to turn back the clock on some of his character development but not other parts of it, which is usually garbage.

Many of Peter Parker's significant developmental moments involve him throwing his costume in the trash.

He quits in the third issue of ASM after being beaten by Ock. And he quits several times after that over the next 50 years.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Digests! I read the original Silvermane story this way, and it was great :) They'd throw in a bunch of other stuff, too, like Hembeck cartoons.

Mine didn't have those - just three classic issues.

These (in a lovely iPhone pic) are the only Spidey ones I can find, but I had a bunch more that I've probably lost. Thankfully, I have plenty of GI Joe and Transformer digests, and even a few Star Comics digests (Muppet Babies, ALF, Ewoks/Droids, MadBalls, etc.), too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

In the old books, Peter got a free apartment through his rich roommate, Harry. And he was never home, either, so he looked like (and, well, kind of was) a freeloader.

I think I'd prefer if Peter lived in his childhood bedroom, and Aunt May wondered if he was a failure.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Outside of the Lee run, most of the best and most memorable Spider-man stories were written while he was married or engaged to MJ. Death of Jean Dewolff, Kraven's Last Hunt, Harry's death, the list goes on. The only problem existed in some old editors' minds.

Master Planner, Tablet of Time, Death of Gwen Stacy, Death of Captain Stacy, Juggernaut's rampage, and all the best Norman Osborn stories were pre-marriage.

Edit: And the Hobgoblin stuff, too.

Red fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 30, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I really, really like JMS Spidey - spider-totems and all - up until John Romita, Jr. leaves the book. That first half of his run is maybe my third or fourth favourite stretch by a writer on a Spider-Man book (the first two been Lee/Ditko/Romita and Roger Stern).

My only gripe about JMS is that he seemed like he had to create this new universe for Spidey, completely dependent on JMS.

As soon as JMS came on, it felt like every villain was a new JMS creation (Shade, Morlun, Shathra, Carlyle Calamari, etc.), and then you had the Spider-Totem stuff, which I don't think anybody wanted or liked but JMS.

Now, that said, he did very well on the Peter/MJ and Peter/May dynamics, and when he did use classic characters (Ock, Doom), he utilized them perfectly.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Creating new villains is a good thing. It should be encouraged. If it means an author is creating their 'own universe' for the character that isn't a bad thing. Creating new villains and new concepts is how characters evolve and change.

Usually, I'd agree, but, as a reader, it felt a lot different than, say, Claremont doing his thing.

Writers putting their stamp on a character is a good thing, and I liked JMS as a whole, but it shouldn't feel like "Well, here's MY stuff, hope you enjoy. Nobody really liked Electro, anyway.". Does that make sense?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

Spider-Man has, for the past two decades, at least two other main books and several other books at least loosely related as well. It isn't like there was a ban on those characters. They were being used, just elsewhere.

That's a good point.

I'm glad we had a book that starred Sal Buscema's Spidey for so long.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

There are three things you must discuss when discussing spidey.

1. OMD
2. The clone saga
3. Gwen Stacy's death.

Everything else is just filler.

Give me enough space, and I can bitch about :

- The endless clones of The Sinister Six (Superior Foes is amazing tho)
- Green Goblin's unnecessary chain mail costume
- love interests since Gwen's death that aren't MJ or Black Cat
- Spider-Totems
- Peter revealing his identify
- Spider-Man's Iron costume or whatever
- Mac Gargan getting the symbiote
- New symbiotes after Carnage
- Electro not wearing the star-shaped hat costume
- Randomly killing good characters, like The Enforcers, old Hobgoblins, Stilt-Man (I know that was Punisher, but still)

I'd also like to talk about how Molten Man could be awesome, but is largely ignored.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Silk continues to be pretty delightful. :allears:

Still. It's hard not to roll your eyes at the "but the radioactive spider that bit Peter Parker bit someone else before dying" origin.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rhyno posted:

And then another dude ate the corpse.

Oh gently caress me

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

I have been reading the original Amazing Spider-Man run on Marvel Unlimited. Just hit issue 50 and I can say that after the first year where Lee and Ditko are getting there legs the book really takes off. I know it is cheesy 60's writing, but the stories Lee writes are solid. It really is a shame Romita took over when Ditko seemed to find his art groove, but my lord the man can draw.

It really is some good reading and it is nice to see the classic Spider-Man villains actually be threats and not punchlines. Comparing them then to how they are now I don't understand why some of them were defanged in a way. Heck even Mysterio is a solid villain.

The only real thing I'm coming away with is that I am 100% sure Aunt May suffers from Munchausen Syndrome, Peter could be Bi-Polar, and JJJ has a form of OCD . Has anything like this been written about in the comics before?

There's one story by Lee/Romita, Sr. where Adrian Toomes comes back as the Vulture, and pummels Blackie Drago, who had taken Toomes' suit when the original thought he was dying. Spidey hurts his arm saving a kid during their fight, and Vulture uses the advantage to beat Spider-Man. At the last second, Spidey plays dead to get close to Toomes, and wrecks his flight suit, but still - they managed to believably turn 70-year old Vulture into a credible threat. I can't remember the last time old Toomes was seen that way.

Lee seemed to write most of his Spidey villains this way - they each had a huge strength that gave them the ability to battle Spider-Man. Although I still don't see how Man Mountain Marko was able to hold his own with Spider-Man.

As far as the supporting cast, Lee seemed to write everyone as fairly mopey, except for Mary Jane, who was a ditzy cheerleader-type, who was just hiding depression.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Xinder posted:

Am I an outlier for enjoying Spider-Verse? I've heard mostly negative things about it but I really enjoyed it. It was a really fun bit of fanservice bringing back all the weird old alternate spideys. It wasn't a particularly good story but it was fun and that's what matters to me.

I haven't even dipped into it yet. It seems like it could be cool, but I loathe the Morlun character with a passion.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Fun and clever isn't what Dan Slott does.

It's odd, because I loved his She-Hulk stuff. It's the same guy!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

In the 90s Spidey cartoon, Doctor Octopus had a German accent - which seemed like such a perfect fit!

I've never seen any evidence that the comic book version had any sort of accent. Has it ever been suggested, or was that just a 'toon thing?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Much like Kingpin being British despite growing up in Brooklyn, it was cartoon shorthand.

... what?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

That's just a rich snooty guy accent.

See: Crane, Frasier

Also: Lithgow, John

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Are we supposed to believe that Roderick Kingsley was able to break down the goblin formula he found, and improved upon it himself - or did he have some scientists do it for him, and then he killed them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

No, I believe it was established he took a stable version of the Goblin Serum that gave him all the advanced strength & toughness without driving him cuckoo.

Right.

So Kingsley, a fashion designer, was able to improve upon a formula that Norman Osborn, world-famous billionaire engineer/chemist/scientist, could not.

Granted, Norman had already taken the formula before he knew the side effects, but still.

• Locked thread