Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The blue memory eraser in the Statue Of Liberty in the secon MiB was also incredibly stupid. It would only work if every single New Yorker was looking at the Statue when it went off. What about the people facing away from it? Or the people in subways, inside their houses, sleeping, etc.

So you're saying it wouldn't affect the people that didn't see anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

The dogs don't bark at anyone covered in GSR.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Lincoln posted:

So I'm sitting here at my computer (literally, right now) watching Grosse Pointe Blank for the first time, and Dan Akroyd pulls out these two revolvers:

...and rapidly fires at least 26 distinct shots without reloading. Probably more, but I was counting conservatively.

Don't watch the last episode of American Horror Story: Freak Show!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Lotish posted:

Presumably it battered the door down/busted the lock? It's been a long time since I saw that movie.

In the last shot of that room, it shows the phone laying on the table. You can clearly see individual bullet holes in the windowed wall, made by that shotgun. Must have been using slugs, tiny little slugs.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Phanatic posted:

What do you think a shotgun fires? A shell of 00 buckshot from a 12-gauge contains 9 .33" slugs.

Here's what I was talking about in Jurassic Park. I imagined a phone shown off the hook. But this isn't too irrational.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Oh I have fired slugs. Even at a shooting range, I could only assume from the punch they pack that three should completely shatter that window. Even if it was safety glass, the holes should be much bigger and the spidering would instead be that million little pieces look.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Like Henchman of Santa said, he didn't do man of steel.

He literally babysat Snyder on WB's behalf.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

LeJackal posted:

You might want to try using tags.

This poo poo ain't hard, son.

Here, let me show you;

Jurassic World:
What was going on with the Jimmy Fallon video in the gyrobubble? Its so desperately obnoxious that it dickpunched me right out of the movie.

Dragging this up from the last page, but a Jimmy Fallon video that addresses the patrons is currently played on the Universal Studios Hollywood tram ride.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Danger Mahoney posted:

The Mystery Men talk earlier made me go back to try to watch it. I couldn't make it all the way through. What was it with the mid-to-late nineties that made directors think dutch angles and fisheye were good artistic decisions?

That director had a background in directing commercials. Yo quiero Taco Bell.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

I preferred Brendan's cameo in Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

The old bonds are very much a product of their time wrt to racism, sexism, and a variety of unpleasantness. The books just plain hated women though, Ian Fleming was a weird dude. I like the old films a lot though despite their problems. The Brosnan ones were a bad attempt at what the Craig era nailed even though Pearse owned.

The Matador made up for Bronson's last couple Bonds.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Danger Mahoney posted:

Just got nostalgic and watched Ernest Goes to Jail and I am very surprised at the surreal sets and very dark tone of this movie. Like there are a total of four sets in the movie and every one is a dadaist fever dream. The bank where Earnest works is a high-ceiling doctor's office, the jail is a neon-lit dungeon full of guards wearing hot pink nazi uniforms, and every scene is shot at a crazy dutch angle. The whole thing seems like it is meant to convey a sense of disorientation and dread.

Also there is a rape scene.

Then I guess it's time to revisit my childhood. How would you bookend Xmas Ernest with this movie? Before? After?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

Jessica Jones: Luke can walk through an exploding building but a shotgun to head puts him in a coma

Explosions don't aim for the head?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I haven't seen the second one yet, but I've heard a lot of people complaining that it's APRIL & CASEY with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

So it's like the original from my childhood.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Phanatic posted:

In Aliens, they're not on a ship, they're on an installation on a planet with a human-breathable atmosphere. So you shoot something and its blood eats through the floor and down into the dirt, nobody cares.

What if the acid hit the dirt and then dissolves the ground all the way to the other side of the planet, creating a giant crater hole? Then the planet would fall out of orbit because there might be a crazy wind tunnel that is created from it and starts ricocheting around that planetary system. And then at the end of the movie it pulls back to a wider shot and ends in the same way that the first MIB movie did?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

SiKboy posted:

In stranger things, what happened to the kids dog? It was there in the first 2-3 episodes, then it just isnt any more.

They only had a budget for a dog wrangler for the first three episodes.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Harton posted:

It's happening again!

Seriously though it was like 20 something years ago. Who knows what they call it now, but back in Midwestern America in the early 90's we didn't use silly words like Australasia.

Nothing like the principal of our school telling me that I didn't see a Tasmanian devil at the LA Zoo back in 5th grade. I guess the field trip was actually at Warner Bros and I confused the two, cuz you know how they use all them crazy, made-up animals in those cartoons.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Len posted:

They could at least not have Bruce know everyone who would later be a villain.

I think it all has to do with that kid that they cast. He is so whiny looking. And not in a my parents are dead way.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Based on this logic, if my wife and I watched all of DD, JJ, but only watched the first episode of Luke Cage, should we watch Iron Fist? What's our over/under on enjoying it?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm rewatching LOST and without a doubt and by a wide margin the most irritating thing about it is Sawyer's indestructible letter. He keeps that letter crammed in his rear end pocket, sits on it, pulls it out and reads it every day for the last 30 years, crumples up the paper in anger or he thrusts it at someone to read it; it's been rained on and soaked in sea water or tears when he has a good cry over it. I don't know what kind of NASA tech paper people have in Tennessee, but that letter should have been ground up into atoms before Sawyer even reached puberty.

Also, 24 episodes per season, holy poo poo.

Well they were in purgatory, so...

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

... every season had to be thrice as long as it needed to be?

That was the real twist, the viewers ended up being in purgatory. Those writers decided to screw with the fans because they guessed the plot after the pilot aired. Those assholes!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

May the Force be With you is the same empty platitude as telling someone who sneezed God Bless You or how some germans would great each other with “Great God”. Its a cultural artifact and it doesnt require a recognized Jedi order to invoke, no more than you need an organized religion to say something was Apocalyptic.

But my autism won't let it stand!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Armacham posted:

The only reason the Nostromo even went to LV-426 is because Mother detected the signal from the Star Jockey craft and the Company wants to get its hands on any alien technology. And then remember that Napoleon Bonaparte was trying to use the crew as incubators to bring back the Xenomorph.

FTFY

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Imagined posted:

Their time between seasons is absurd, though. A baby born during season 1 will be in college by the time they finish season 7. They should team up with GRRM for the ultimate fan blueball. They took six years to make the last 16 episodes. That's 4.5 months per episode.

I'm sure CN probably has something to do with the slow turnaround.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

When the alien trophy hunter picked up the scorpion, I had a problem with the scorpion.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

sassassin posted:

What, are we supposed to believe it's some sort of special, sci-fi scorpion?

No, it is a native Earth scorpion on Earth. This actually made me think of a legit gripe, when they use live animals to decorate alien planet sets. I know I have seen examples many times over the years, even in Empire Strikes Back they have that snake on Dagobah.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Slime posted:

If the Star Wars galaxy has humans everywhere, why are earthlike snakes so unbelievable?

Sure, on the human planets. Just glue some antennae on it and sell it a little for a Dagobah snake. Unless Dagobah is the Australia of the galaxy and has all the invasive species.

Edit: What if a hound dog just came out of the swamp and starts shaking to dry off? You'd laugh your rear end off. The only thing in Star Wars movies that is like our world are the humans and the concept of Hell. They took the time to make everything else distinctly alien.

Kramdar has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Nov 18, 2017

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Slime posted:

The character tore the tag off the mattress despite it being CLEARLY labelled DO NOT REMOVE.

Well if the character was a mattress salesman, then I'd be upset too!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

How does Batman always have time to put on eye makeup? Or take it off for that matter?

Makeup gun? Still works within his code.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Homeybeef posted:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
It seems weird that a museum has an exhibit about a guy whos still alive and still doing the kinds of things that made him famous in the first place. And the museum is in the same city where this guy lives and works.

Also, unrelated: according to Steve's list at the beginning, he still hasn't gotten around to watching Star Wars yet. But later on, he implies that he has seen Wargames. This doesn't irritate me, I'm actually kind of impressed with Cap's priorities. Just not sure why he would do this.

I would’ve thought that the museum was made before they found where the plane crashed and defrosted him.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

sinburger posted:

I think that's going to be the end of the first or second act honestly.

1st act - introduce characters. Reporter time! Brock breaks into the lab and gets symbioted.

2nd - goons go after Eddie, he escapes, has a heart to heart with his new clothes, and there is a stupid motorcycle chase sequence ending withy"We are Venom".

3rd act - The Life Foundation let's a second person bond with another symbiote sample to hunt down venom and we have a lackluster Venom vs Carnage fight that's squandered as badly as the Doomsday fight in BvS.

Early in the movie, it is established that the symbiote is affected by electricity and we will see it partially separate from Brock. Then half way through the third act, Doc Ock shows up with upgrades to his tentacles that now sport taser-like tips. He rips the symbiote off Brock like that scene in Hellraiser 3, secures the symbiote and disappears. Ock will be established earlier in the movie as well with having some connection to the Life Foundation.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Venom's weakness is sound and chocolate :colbert:

Doc Ock will loudly eat a chocolate bar over Brock to get them to separate.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I thought movies had learned their lesson and we were past the cringe-inducing overly-saccharine "it's cool to be weird" movies like Garden State etc. But then I watched (well, the first 20 minutes anyway) of "The Clapper" and it's as bad as ever. It's presented as a romantic comedy but seeing amanda seyfried ramble about "i'm so quirky lol" while cheesy music plays in the background neither makes me think of romance or makes me laugh. It's just awful.

There’s that other movie with Amanda Seyfried and also Ben Solo that I think is a good pivot on that genre. The one with the beastie boy and also Ben Stiller.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Samuringa posted:

I never watched Anchorman 2 but I enjoyed watching the even more exaggerated newsmen brawl on youtube. They should've just made that.

When I saw it on youtube, I couldn't help but cringe. The original executed it in a way that felt natural, while that one felt forced and also trying to hard to top the first.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

What kind of drama and eco-damage was there?

I googled it cuz WTF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beach_(film)#Damage_to_filming_location

Wikipedia posted:

The production altered some sand dunes and cleared some coconut trees and grass to widen the beach. Fox set aside a fund to reconstruct and return the beach to its natural state; however, lawsuits were filed by environmentalists who believed the damage to the ecosystem was permanent and restoration attempts had failed.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

I never liked him in general. Growing up as an 80s kid, all of his early movies looked dumb to me, save for Legend. I have avoided most of his movies before knowing about Scientology. He is fine in the movies I have seen. But he has a two-dimensional face. It just doesn’t have the full range of emotions. That’s probably why everyone else in his movies win Oscars, or have more memorable lines. I definitely could never buy him crying on-camera.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Gaunab posted:

I don't like when the first episode of a show is titled Pilot.

They should just be self-titled. So the first episode is the show name, it won't be weird like pilot.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

Hey now.

San Francisco gets some action, albeit on a smaller scale.

Ant-Man joke.

And now Venom too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Based on the billboards for each movie, at least you see a spider-man on the billboard. When I saw the trailer last weekend after only seeing the Mortal Engines billboard, I was like where are the vampires or the Jack the Ripper back drop? Not knowing the book, the billboard just has a tacky, derivative font and the eyes of a female protagonist and to me screams YA shifter stuff.