Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Literally Kermit posted:

Also what they think caused the downfall of USA was they slashed postal rates for junkmail, causing the entire nation to be buried in it.

Ahh, the great and terrible plague of "FREE".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

I could forgive him a little for his invention of CFCs. Their problem is not they they were reactive and toxic, but that they are so unreactive that they could float up into the stratosphere completely intact before they start breaking down ozone into oxygen. He solved a big problem, as preceding refrigerant gases were toxic enough to kill people who worked around them.

On the other hand, he really should have known better with leaded gasoline. poo poo, he even gave himself lead poisoning working with it, and he was working to pump it out of cars.

Was this the guy who washed his face with leaded gasoline at a press conference to show how safe it was? Or did iI make that up in my head, because it sounds insane to say it out loud.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

I hate it when people scoff at the bloody Mary thing, because while I don't believe in ghosts, it is based on a real optical illusion, so people do see "something". Just not a ghost.
It's something like this

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Listen, your brain is a lazy rear end in a top hat, and will make up poo poo at the drop of a hat if it is unsure or bored.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

See, I can't stand MFM because they try and be so cutesy about everything. Well that and how they don't care about accuracy.

I really wanted to like MFM, coming to it from Allie and Georgias podcast, but the first episode I listened to soured me on it. Somewhere they got on a tangent about the documentary The Staircase about Michael Peterson, and just dismissively announced OBVIOUSLY HE DID IT, because HE WAS A SECRET GAY, and IT'S ALWAYS THE HUSBAND, and it really turned me off, because I read it as a pretty deep and creepy story about a district attorney trying to get back at a reporter who had been critical of the the police and the district attorneys office.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Bath Tubs posted:

How is it possible to even perform an autopsy on a body thats been buried for like 3 years? I assume that the body wouldn't completely be decomposed but what additional information could be gained from examining the body at this point?

Well, if you're some sort of aggrandizing quack I bet you could just point to a random spot on some moldy remains and yell "HERE! Right here, proof of foul play, proof that no one but me could have found! Just kinda squint, and hold it in the light just so and you'll see it too! This OBVIOUSLY proves the conspiracy!". Then you just string the family along with false hope of closure, telling them someone specifically took their child from them, someone they could blame, not just some weird accident. I bet you could make a lot of money that way...................

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

One of the times I broke my hand I decided I didn't want to go to the doctor and one of my friends had to basically trick me like taking a dog to vet to get me to go. He said we were going to a party, drove me to the ER, and brought out Monopoly for us to play so I wouldn't get bored waiting for the doctor. My bone had already started to mesh together wrong so it hurt a bit when they set it.

poo poo like that was a huge problem in my family/ community growing up, and I still see it to a point today. All my child hood I heard " don't get hurt because we don't have the money to take you to a doctor", usually said in the shittyest tone. Eventually you internalize it and that's just what life is. Don't complain, walk it off, say it doesn't really hurt and refuse treatment. I actually got in an argument with my mom at 15 because i said i had bits of rocks and metal embedded in my body from childhood injuries, she tried to call my bluff and took me to the doctor where the doctor looked at her like the worlds worst parent when my x-rays showed poo poo in my legs and shoulders. She got really mad later and said they would have taken me to the doctor, but what the gently caress did i know? I had been hearing that poo poo for over a goddamn decade since before I could walk . That poo poo is so baked in now that i'm pushing forty and I'm still a little bothered by going to the doctor because a small part of my brain is still convinced a common trip to the doctor is gonna give me a loving life destroying bill.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

When I was around sixteen my family finally got dental insurance I had eight cavities that were years and years old, like some from six years old on. The dentist was shocked because he said I had to be in immense pain, but i was just used to it by then. that was just life. i think thats probably a part of why people downplay ladies pain. poo poo like this absolutely did not play out this way with my female relatives, whereas unless a boy was straight up bleeding or had a bone sticking out they were just being a whiny pussy if they complained, those boys grow up to be the men who drive themselves to the hospital when they lose a finger and wont say poo poo about it because they were raised that way.

It's weird, i've read two different articles about this in the past week, and they specifically mention heart attacks and people not recognizing them in women, but i've heard a scary amount of first hand stories from men where they had a heart attack and their spouse didn't believe them. A cousin of mine seriously thought about ending his marriage over it. He had a heart attack at TWENTY SIX ( he knew it was a heart attack because it runs in that part of the family, more than a few had one before their mid thirties) and his wife refused to take him to the doctor, said it was probably just gas and he was being a baby. Eventually he said "If I have to drag myself to the phone to call an ambulance you better not loving be here when I get back" and she took him. Its so creepy to think about him dying in front of his wife, while she was just upset because he was being a whiny inconvenience.

WaywardWoodwose has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Nov 10, 2018

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fair.

I'm reading the Great Deluge by Douglas Brinkley. It's about Katrina, and he opens with a brief history of how many times New Orleans has been flooded and um wow people are stupid. Please move this stupid city before it goes underwater again.

Apparently in 1927 the (white) levee board decided to flood the poor black neighborhoods to "protect the rest of the city" and god gently caress america.

Not particularly creepy, but if it makes you feel better a couple of years ago Houston did the same to one of the richest neighborhood.

“I’m 100 percent certain Robert died because of the dam releases,” Kyle says. “It was because of their irresponsibility that they didn’t force people to get out before they released the water. I think they should have busted doors down and said, ‘The reservoir’s going, you gotta get out now.’ ” He plans to join his neighbors in filing suit. Unlike them, he’ll also file for wrongful death. Buzbee is his lawyer.

“One of the funny things is … well, not funny, but … we paid flood insurance up until July,” he says over the cicadas, brushing mosquitoes off his arm. “Bob just didn’t think it was going to flood.” He looks back into the darkened house. “You never expect your loved one to drown in your own home.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-11-16/the-u-s-flooded-one-of-houston-s-richest-neighborhoods-to-save-everyone-else

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

cosmo sex tip posted:

no exaggeration there was a point my junior year where i was living on literally 1 baked potato a day

A couple of years ago I read this great article about an unheard of number of cases of scurvy in California. It was seriously creepy, so many cases, in average twenty year olds, right in the middle of L.A..
long story short, it turned out they were all med school students who could only afford/had time to eat at the same lovely hot dog place.
ordinary young people, working and studying all the time, some surviving on a a loving hotdog a day for months (at 50 cents a piece so probably not a great dog), until teeth started falling out.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Holy poo poo. Your suspect doesn't match what the witnesses saw? Just photoshop a picture of him until he does!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...k&ICID=ref_fark

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

joxxuh posted:

Heaven's gate was pretty cool.
[list]
[*]No sexual abuse, in fact the leader underwent voluntary castration to avoid the temptation.

I was under the impression that Applewhites castration came from internal strife over closeted homosexuality, and isn't advocating castration in a group you have control of a form of sexual abuse? To me it feels like when the cult leader decides it's time for everyone to die, that's not really suicide, and when the leader starts telling people to fly down to Mexico to get their balls chopped off, it's probably not really a suggestion.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

There was a similar case in Russia a few years back, where they were able to follow the trail of medical equipment sold for scrap aaaalmost until the end. They recovered the bulk of the dangerous materials, but not after it had already been recycled.
They believe there are I THINK eleven radioactive beerkegs floating around somewhere, along with a bunch of elevator buttons.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Ripped from the headlines : It was just like Romeo and Juliette.
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/554730-cheney-primary-challenger-impregnated-14-year-old-when-he-was-18
His victim eventually committed suicide after they broke up, and he some how manages to drag his estranged son, but the real problem is that this is why good people don't enter politics, cause people will just keep bringing up your rapes to drag you down...

longer article
https://trib.com/news/state-and-reg...cd0f832eda.html

"This is really a message about how dirty politics is," said Bouchard, one of Wyoming's most prominent gun rights advocates. "They'll stop at nothing, man, when you get in the lead and when you're somebody that can't be controlled, you're somebody who works for the people. They'll come after you. That's why good people don't run for office."

WaywardWoodwose has a new favorite as of 17:56 on May 21, 2021

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Droogie posted:

This is all timely as I just finished reading Journal of the Dead by Jason Kersten about the killing of David Coughlin by his best friend after being lost in the New Mexican desert 20 minutes from a road.

Interesting book if a little overindulgent in descriptions.

weren't those the guys that went hiking with two gatorades and some hotdogs?

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Droogie posted:

One Gatorade and 48 oz of water. They used 16oz of that to cook the dogs.

YOU CAN COOK HOTDOGS ON A STICK! OR JUST EAT THEM!

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Droogie posted:

I believe this is the second known person (I think) targeting indigenous women in Canada this year or in recent years.

What's up with this? I've seen maybe three or four articles with headlines saying this is the second killer targeting indigenous sex workers in Canada, but listening to enough true crime podcasts seem point to like a ton of them.
Indigenous sex workers are really common victims. I get that the cops don't count them, but drat.

I can't remember the full quote, but i heard "in America, killing a black sex worker is like killing a ghost".

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Kirk Vikernes posted:

After decades of true crime TV shows and 15+ years of podcasts, does anyone know of any "missing" people that have finally surfaced after being the topic of an episode? In most cases it's probably unlikely, but maybe something like someone hitchhiked their way across the US to escape their current situation whatever that may have been just to change names and stay on the down low?

I know Americas Most Wanted found a few. Like John List, the family annihilator. They had pretty much given up on finding that guy

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Desert Bus posted:

This has an easy sizing guide, it's surprisingly simple, and yes VERY important:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/healthy-aging/in-depth/canes/art-20548206

https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/walking-canes/1/

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded weirdly enough of the 'dingo ate my baby' story and how it became a bizarre media circus and they thought she actually sacrificed her baby in some satanic ritual or something and no one seemed to look up what a dingo actually is in an encyclopaedia.

You hear the term "consistent with" carrying a lot of weight in contentious true crime cases like that one.
If I'm remembering right, the back seat of her car was tested and had traces of residue "consistent with" blood. They didn't actually find blood, and one of the things that could also test similar was copper, and they lived down the road from a copper mine. Thats not nearly as good of a story though.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Weird Al.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

They're not blameless, but Challenger was a failure at all levels. The shuttle should have been grounded the first time a recovered booster showed evidence of burn-through, but instead it got to the point that engineers couldn't adequately push back and explain why it would make a difference that time. From Apollo 1 to the end of the Shuttle program, we apparently learned nothing past "we should make sure it doesn't do that next time."

I always sound like a kook, but the original O-rings were made by Hydrapak in someones living room, most likely by children.
Hydrapak was owned by the Jeffs family, as in Warren Jeffs the pedophile mormon cult leader.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

https://jalopnik.com/how-a-cult-built-the-o-rings-that-failed-on-the-space-s-1846151814

There’s a few Warren Jeffs working at the company now, but none of them are that Warren Jeffs.

His dad Rulon helped start it and was on the board, after the explosion it was sold to Rulons other son Wallace, and Rulon tried to have his name scrubbed from it.

Also Big Bird was originally intended to be on the Challenger.

https://nypost.com/2015/05/02/how-b...d%20the%20plan.

Big Bird — with Spinney in the suit — was originally slated to be a part of the Challenger space-shuttle mission in 1986, in the hopes of renewing kids’ interest in America’s space program. But the suit wouldn’t fit on the shuttle, so NASA scrapped the plan. The shuttle exploded soon after takeoff, killing its seven crew members — including schoolteacher Christa McAuliffe, who was selected in Spinney’s place.

Was the original plan for Mormons to assassinate Big Bird by way of exploding space shuttle?
SOME SAY YES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Wow, the evidence was "I've seen a lot of shops in my time" and "look at these pixels".