Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

DoctaFun posted:

I heard both the Zelda tracks are going to be water temple themed. There are new wheels too, iron wheels, and in order to complete any underwater areas you have to pause the game, navigate through a 4 page menu on the gamepad, select the new tires and then un-pause.

Conveniently there are already metal tires.
Come on Nintendo, your Zelda fans would love this ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

ChaosArgate posted:

Can I still be Link with people who don't have the DLC?

People won't be allowed to play online until they update to whatever version comes out with the DLC.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

_Endgame_ posted:

My body is Reggie for the Links on motorcycles. He seems like he is oversized on karts so hopefully he's a heavy.

I'm going to go on a limb and say that he's Cruiser weight, like Rosalina.
It'll be nice to have what looks like another inside drift bike, although it'll probably have the same stats as the other 4.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Narcissus1916 posted:

Mario Kart 8's normal rainbow road doesn't do much for me. Taking the great and unique rainbow road theme and mashing it with generic satellite space station stuff doesn't quite work.

I eagerly await the return of Mario Kart 7's original rainbow road track, though. It's a "one lap around one massive course" level, and includes jaunts across the moon and saturn's rings.

Wait, MK7 RR is coming back?
I know SNES RR is, which is great because that was my favorite track on Mario Kart 7.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
Ahhh I just got 3 stars on Egg Cup on my first try. Feels good man.
Looking back I still need to 3 star two of the old Mirror cups as well. Thanks, Past Me.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

enojy posted:

finishing 3rd but actually coming in 7th...

Sounds like your internet needs to git gud.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

My girlfriend exclusively rides inside-drifting bikes and mops the floor with scrubs online :shobon:

I used to do that, then I transitioned back to karts and am very happy with the actual customization options that exist.
Why do all inside bikes have to have the same stats?

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
someone please make an IRC channel like the imps at goonsmash

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

my ability to thoroughly dismantle people at this game soothes me over inability to beat anyone at smash bros
same

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

_Endgame_ posted:

Why not do both?

Hi there

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Macaluso posted:

That's how Excitebike has been for me. I can only imagine the choas that baby park stage would cause

Aha yes, baby park Come to think, MK8 doesn't have any tracks with more/less than 3 laps.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

pokeyman posted:

Mt. Wario and N64 Rainbow Road.

Those still have 3 parts, though. The lap counter always has 3 sections, I meant to say.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

So today in single player I had four Marios as my opponents. Mario, Baby Mario, Metal Mario, and Tanooki Mario.

So many Marios.

Same with Peach. Crazy stuff.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

This is the fifth time I've seen that gif and the suffering it inflicts has not diminished at all.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

My only question here is why is that video at 60fps but double speed

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

robot roll call posted:

The secret is to just drive straight down the middle of that part with all the little curves.

Sssh, don't let them know.

But yeah, anyone who hasn't figured this out in the 11 years the track has existed deserves their offroad fate at those turns.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Nolgthorn posted:

Nintendo is going to have its work cut out for it when they try to top this Mario Kart they could definitely improve battle mode, any other ideas?

They need a DLC with actual battle courses. Miyamoto pls

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

irlZaphod posted:

Also Bullet Bill sucks because if you get him, it means you're doing bad.

Eh, bullet bill can be gotten in second place in Frantic mode. poo poo's hilarious when it does happen.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Nolgthorn posted:

Always play on regional

Look at this wimp, can't handle the Japanese players

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Dugong posted:

I hope GBA Rainbow Road comes back. That hasn't ever been remade right?

I'm not sure who prioritized SNES RR enough to remake it twice in a row, but yeah, GBA RR would have been great instead.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

KennyMan666 posted:

So I've finally gotten into Mario Kart 8, played it a bunch over the last few days, got gold in all 150cc cups and working on Mirror mode. And got the DLC pack.

First time I played it I got annoyed at all the item fuckery, but I started figuring out all the mini boosts and poo poo and now I've had multiple races where I got hit by a blue shell but I was so far ahead it didn't matter at all. So I started liking the game when I actually put in the effort to learn it.

I'd say it's the best Mario Kart, but I can't really say much about that, since this is actually the first Mario Kart I give any significant time since 64 (and I've barely played Super at all). I played Double Dash, like, once, and tried Mario Kart 7 at a store. I did like that and planned on getting it but when I eventually actually got a 3DS I ended up skipping it.

Excitebike Arena was a goddamned amazing track in every way.

Should get onto some online racing some time.

Online racing (well, above 5000 or so VR) is a good show of how easy the AI is once you know it inside-out.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

mabels big day posted:

Imagine the pinball track in antigravity, so you actually want to be hit by the giant pinballs.

mother of god... you could be scaling the pinball machine vertically...

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
Oh boy am I ready for this. When does that 200CC update come out?

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

Baby Park is 7 laps again and Big Blue is one giant course divided into 3 sections like Mount Wario and Rainbow Road 64 according to GameXplain.

Well, there goes the "every track has 3 laps or sections" consistency that MK8 had going for a while.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Icedude posted:

use Y instead for much better brake control.

:prepop:

This is going to be handy for those ridiculous desert courses and other low-traction things...

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Rirse posted:

Man I hate you have to unlock 200 CC by getting Gold in every 150 CC map. It just sucks when you are going to get gold only to get hit by a spike turtle shell, hit by a lightning bolt, then a bomb dropped by you. And any item you get afterwards is either the coin or single mushroom.

getting Gold is easy; lots of practice is key so you can recover from that BS. lightweight karts are good for acceleration if you get hosed over a lot.
getting three stars... also relatively easy, if you can get gold.

This is probably common knowledge, but the only criteria for a 3 star grand prix is to get all 60 points. too bad stars mean nothing in this game

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Grandpa Goodtimes posted:

EDIT: Are we going to have new Goonvitational in honor of 200cc and complete DLC?

this would be nice, considering the old one is archived last I checked

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
I'm really sad Cheese Land is yet another desert level, instead of being Cheese. Desert traction is NOT GOOD for 200cc.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Maple Leaf posted:

I have, sorry

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I love how the Villager only communicates with Animal Crossing emotes.

yeah it's pretty nice, and sounds really weird when lightning'd

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
the 4-hour time span of people actully racing in the tourney bothers me

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

How do I remap controls on this game? So I can put brake on L.

You can't. But you can use Y instead of A for more convenient thumb placement.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
fun tip: if the goon room is empty as it is for 20 hours of the day, you can play on Custom worldwide with 200CC rules

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I believe that should be possible. If it didn't that would be dumb (though I could understand for Mirror Mode).

Nope, 200CC and Mirror both don't unlock the previous things. Makes sense though, they all play quite differently

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

XtraSmiley posted:

4.1 update out. 200cc and mirror mode for everyone. Not sure what else.

Grass was buffed.

(You can't take shortcuts in baby park or dragon driftway now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Ice Ice Outpost. There are a number of factors in it that make it feel very anti-fun compared to every other course in the game. The shortcuts are all extremely difficult to use and then hardly rewarding at all, and the split path feature is far more annoying than interesting. As someone who is always thinking about the fastest route possible, this course is just anti-me.

EDIT: Also, it is boring and has ice physics.

Have you played it on 200CC? It gets marginally more fun.

• Locked thread