Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Oh yeah, that's right. Conviction is also the one where they were all "Sam isn't with Third Echelon so he'll have to improvise tools" and that lasts all of one mission before things are right back to the normal stuff.

I guess the reaction to hobo Sam must have been pretty powerful since Ubisoft turned the car around on that one, but amazingly they decided to go ahead with not-Michael-Ironside Sam, which is still grinding my gears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I think the new guy did a perfectly good job, but he just didn't have a chance to live up to a voice as distinctive as Ironside's, especially when Ironside's been playing that character since the beginning.

Not having Michael Ironside's voice, it's a truly terrible curse that afflicts every person save one, but that is why he must be Sam Fisher, and the rest of us must let him. Anyone else who tries to step into that role has already lost, God drat us all.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

biosterous posted:

Being unable to skip radio songs in Sleeping Dogs, especially since the radio setlist is buggy and sometimes keeps playing the same three songs over and over again. I'm tired of Parlour Mob, play the Machine Head songs already! :argh:

My hypothesis on this is that the radio replays the same song on campaign missions. These songs are the theme songs for that mission, so the radio keeps trying to play it. For this reason, on replays I've tried to stay in the car as much as possible through the story missions, so as to not interrupt and repeat the music.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

On some occasions the map is really useless and does not give any sense of scale or access direction. On most places, I found the backdoor first and had to circle around looking for open doors.

I also managed to put 100+ h into the game before finding "the third part of the city", Westside and sewersystem.

Westside I found on playthrough one, but I just discovered North Vegas Square.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Semi related: is there a game out there that is a secret police simulator? That might actually be a little interesting.

Not a simulator so much as it is a rather unintuitive adventure-puzzle game, but Floor 13 has you heading a secret police department for the British PM.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Doctor Bishop posted:

Counterpoint: Lucifer in Dante's Inferno. :nws: of course

For a large demonic penis in a modern fictional work, that's pretty time.

I mean, we've all seen some gnarly poo poo, am I right? Right?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Can't we? Because that sounds way more entertaining than regular basketball.

Seriously. NBA Jam was was more interesting than the endless repeats of NBA 2Kwhatever.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I agree.

Interrupted by a doorbell, a likely story....

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Is there a reason they couldn't name it Warhammer : Total War, or did they intentianlly want people to say 'war war'?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The best accessories in GTA V, like Franklin's bandana and Trevor's beanie, are only available once the main story is beaten. Why do you have to do me wrong like that, Rockstar? At least two thirds of my enjoyment comes from playing dress up.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So much of GTA V's design seems to be "put in a lot of fun things to do, and then make it as hard as possible for the player to do them". I was so pissed after a bunch of missions that promised a payday and gave nothing at the end for no other reason than "gently caress you, that's why".

I did think that was funny, though. Frustrating the first play through, but if you do a speedy run with a guide that will help you make the best investments, you will become a millionaire by the second act.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Then again, why would a native-american be that invested in a fight between white people about who's gonna rule the country they just stole.

It's in history that to defeat their rivals, various native tribes allied themselves militarily with various European powers.

Why Connor does anything, though, is forgettable.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I really wish more survival games would feature fun stuff like that. No Man's Sky would be marginally more fun if I could eat the weird brain slug and get food poisoning from it. I'd probably get mad the like, tenth time I die from making GBS threads but it would be fun.

In Subnautica, the scanner and PDA tells you which fish are edible and which are not. gently caress you, Siri, I'll be the judge of that.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Grem posted:

How come they never made another Carmen Sandiego game, anyways? Those things were the best, I'd love to play them with my kids.

I support a revival of Oregon Trail and Carmen Sandiego games.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I like that Westworld's first, early reveal was that It's a robot theme park! and the progressive reveal was that It's metaphorically a hell! and the final reveal that Dr. Ford wasn't a complete sadist and tyrant!

edit: I'm in the games thread. Wooooops.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

That's big and pretty with the music, but the way the big head is rolling and spewing makes it more like it's physically sick rather than mentally sick of another's bullshit

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I am a Disco Elysium fan, but I'd say that if the reason you have not played this game or any game is because of an issue of representation, that is ultimately fair. It's not my wish that anyone feel less-than-included by the market of games such that you do not pick up every game because of it. Ideally, there would be enough well-written experiences like Disco Elysium for all kinds of stories and characters that representation would not be a barrier to play. That is a better world.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Haha i always get em in the end!

HUMAN CAN OPENER ALERT

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

When exactly did NV go from "horrible trash can fire of a game" that was universally panned to "best new fallout game"?

I thought it was initially received as a rough diamond in a medium trash fire of bugs and Gamebyro quirks. The patching and mods reduced the trash fire to a manageable smolder. The parts that were brilliant were always brilliant, mainly Mr. Fantastic.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I remember the most important part of settlement-building is creating huge surpluses of water so that you can flood the market with your aqua cola.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If you have Hearts of Iron IV and not tried the Old World Blues mod, it's a delight.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

Because it’s a bad game, OP

Two things dragged it down. First, it was mediocre compared to New Vegas in all the important categories.

Second... hmm. There was something else, but I can't remember it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's quite the disappointment to open every drawer in a cabinet and find nothing to steal. It's not as bad in a video game, but still feels pretty bad.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It sounds like it hasn't been confirmed, but the speculation is that the next parts of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake will not have the option to carry progress over from the first part. That kinda bums me out and has halted my interest in finishing the Yuffie intermission.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

It's pretty wild that a sequel with the same characters as the last game doesn't keep your items.

Well, when you put it like that, it does seem silly. But in my mind, not having seen much marketing material or reading much discussion of the remake before jumping in, I was thinking that the next parts would be less like a fully dedicated new sequel and more like the second act in an unusually long game, closer in feeling to a super-duper-DLC but with feature-length content and pricing but the same gameplay, so keeping the level/xp progression made sense in my head. Like it makes sense to me that progression restarted between Mass Effect 1 and 2, since the game changed much in gameplay from 1 and 2, and for some reason I expected that to be the case. Maybe because FF7 Remake is a remake of a single game (albeit greatly expanded and with significant divergence), I subconsciously expected the Remake to ultimately be like a single long epic when it's finally done.

Morpheus posted:

I imagine you might some sort of little bonus based on certaolin things, but yeah, no idea why anyone thought you'd enter the second part with like fifty levels and -ga spells on the outset.

Is that so strange, though? Because I started the Yuffie intermission right after completing the main game, and when I saw that Yuffie starts at level 35 on the onset (and possibly with some leveled-up materia? I don't remember that part as clearly), I thought "Oh, they might have done that so that when this shorter intermission is done, Yuffie will be closer in level with the main party when they connect in the future games."

Caufman
May 7, 2007
∆V: Rings of Saturn is an enjoyable, hard sci-fi space mining game, but the in-game manufacturer of the most expensive ships and equipment is named Elon Interstellar.

Also, using the delta symbol in the title makes googling information about it a little harder.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Morpheus posted:

LA Noire, probably. Completely pointless in every way to have an open world in that game. Definitely wasted many man hours trying to get it working, I'm sure.

Yeah there was never a reason not to let your partner drive in that game unless you're a masochist or doing something silly.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Late in the game you have to drive to various landmarks that you really only will have to chance to find if you have driven around yourself.

Hmm, I don't remember that happening, but I remember the late game way worse than the early game. Was this when you're playing as Jack Kelso? I remember he doesn't have a partner, but I thought the game still had a fast travel option when playing as him.

Another thing that bothered me about LA Noire: Cole Phelps himself. I never warmed up to liking him. He's not at all the image of a hard-boiled detective I thought I'd be playing as, and he blinks a lot, like an unbelievably distracting amount of blinking. I remember enjoying the few missions you get to play as Jack a lot more and wished he was the primary protagonist for the game.

edit: One last nitpick for LA Noire (which had strength beyond my little criticisms, and I do wish they made more games like it): one of my favorite small things in open world games with driving is choosing where to park the car. Am I going to park like a sensible person or like a total psychopath today? Don't know why, but I get such pleasure from deciding this. But LA Noire removes this freedom from me and plays a cutscene whenever the car is close to its destination. :mad:

Caufman has a new favorite as of 05:02 on May 9, 2022

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Any time a game has drive-by-mouse ground vehicles that cannot be turned off, it is a mistake. Sometimes I want to look around and not have my vehicle drive or orient in that direction, ok? This is especially weird in a game where most vehicles have free look by default, but then you're in a tank and suddenly it's drive-by-mouse. Isn't a freely rotating turret one of the reasons why tanks are frikkin tanks?

The new Saints Row does this, and even though it has many faults, this is definitely its worst fault, or at least in the top 70.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Croccers posted:

GTA4 had shoot-outs where at the end you'd have a dozen guys left rolling around on the ground rolling in pain, sometimes trying to get up and walk away.
Unless you headshot them, then they didn't do that.

I think this was dropped in 5. You shoot them, they ded.

Yeah, I think you're right.

GTA4 differentiated between unconscious NPCs that can be revived by paramedics and dead enemies that cannot. GTA5 did not. Anyone knocked out in a fist fight or in a vehicular collision was automatically dead and pronounced so by paramedics. I thought that was a step down and don't know why Rockstar would remove that feature from 4 to 5.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Lobok posted:

Guess he left the city. It is Australia after all.

SiKboy posted:

Mad Max is supposed to be set in the early stages of societal collapse, road warrior a while after is all.

Both of these explanations have been proffered, and both have some merit and don't contradict each other.

But I think what really happened is that Mad Max 2 had a much larger budget, and likely George Miller had a better view of what he wanted the movies to look like. Watching the original trilogy and the newest reboot, I feel like these are movies of style over substance, and George Miller plays it loose with continuity and logic for the sake of spectacle, and I am very okay with that. Mad Max is one of my favorite franchises.

edit: wrong George

Caufman has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Apr 4, 2023

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Philippe posted:

My main problem with Mad Max is that it's just a Ubisoft game with Batman-style punching.

It's regrettable that the gameplay was mediocre (heh, snort) because it had good atmosphere and characters.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Alhazred posted:

It was kinda funny when you realize that Max and Furiosa are roughly the same age, but Furiosa is explicitly born after the apocalypse (the movie mentions that she was born into one of the post-apocalyptic tribes) and Max was born long before the apocalypse.

This occurred to me as well while watching Fury Road in theaters. But Miller makes these movies with a lot of gaps in the world building and details, and he treats each movie as very flexibly related to one another.

Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy are roughly the same age, but maybe that doesn't mean Max and Furiosa are. It's possible Max is significantly older but is blessed with youthful looks or Furiosa appears more aged than she is. The Mad Max apocalypse can also be seen as not a single moment (like Fallout's apocalypse) but a prolonged deterioration that affected areas differently over time. When the Vuvalini of Many Mothers began, it could have been more of a survivalist commune in a declining society that grew more and more into a post-apocalyptic tribe as their world became more post-apocalyptic rather than starting off as one.

Similarly, it occurred to me watching Beyond Thunderdome how strange it was that there were toddlers in the tribe of children. Even accepting that a bunch of kids might survive on their own, and that all their parents either died in the crash or left with Captain Walker, it was odd to see toddlers with them. How long ago were planes still flying and this one crash? I don't think any ages were explicitly mentioned, but there were some very young kids running around that tribe, and that would mean the plane could not have crashed that long ago, even though the feel I got from Beyond Thunderdome is that the greater region is well deep into the post-apocalypse by that point.

Anyway, all this thinking is fun to ponder, but ultimately I think that George Miller himself doesn't think that hard when making a Mad Max movie, and he emphasizes style over logic and those kinds of details. Fair enough. For me personally, I don't believe continuity is overrated; it's just not a dealbreaker. Personally, I think good continuity is impressive, since it shows planning and attention to detail. But if a storyteller decides it's not so important and still successfully produces an impressive spectacle, I'm still entertained, and Fury Road did that.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Sally posted:

in Thunderdome, the toddlers were explicitly the children of the teenaged Lost Kids. one of them was pregnant with another.

we dont know how long the adults were living there. couldve been a few years... a decade... who knows. and if we are going by the idea that the world is in varyinv states of decay we dont kmmnow what plane resources are elsewhere. just that Jedidiah the pilot has the only working plane near Bartertown

Wow. I forgot that teenagers can make new babies. I never spotted the pregnant teen either.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Those Greek shanties were pretty good, but can it weigh, me boys, to Cuba? Alas, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Philippe posted:

You can't go down to Trinidad to see Sally Brown, boys, but The Black Earth Drinks is imo a pretty good substitute.

Malaka is the life of man.