Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Samuringa posted:

Huge props for the Spider-Man devs for giving you the option to straight up get rid of all QTEs before you even begin the game. Also skipping any puzzles you're not fond of.

That's very good, but what I really want is the option to skip MJ/Miles scenes, at least on a second playthrough. Such a blemish on an otherwise great game (in a genre that doesn't normally grab me), especially going back to redo them. I want to go back and run through the game again, but I just can't stomach them for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm a tough sell on that kind of open world setup but I liked the way they structured it - I mean you can just turn off all the icons for challenges you don't like, so it's easy enough to ignore them all or pick out ones you like (pigeons). My gripe was basically the stealth missions, those can generally just go screw themselves (my second favorite thing bringing the game down, I guess, after the MJ/Miles stuff).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Samuringa posted:

There is one good stealth mission, where MJ and Peter tag team the Devils at Grand Central.

That one's good, but it's still so on rails I felt like I'd gotten the gist of it halfway through.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I went straight from BotW and Witcher 3 to Horizon: Zero Dawn, and the lack of weapon degradation or any kind of stamina bar is such a breath of fresh air. Every game, please be like that.
Inventory space is technically an issue, but mostly confined to all the doodads you loot to sell or trade with. In comparison it's a pretty miniscule problem.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Neither Aloy nor Geralt are a third as mobile as Link is. If Link didn’t have a stamina meter you’d break the game in half over your knee
And again, just use weapons. There’s only like a handful of weapons and shields that don’t respawn but they’re not like super useful or strong

I mean yeah, I get the design considerations that go into both of those, and BotW in particular would be broken if you could just infinitely climb mountains or fly around. But in terms of end results, I've never played a game without constantly getting pissed off at those two mechanics. I'd gladly sacrifice some of Link's mobility to skip spending time clearing twenty shrines to get him enough stamina upgrades that I start finding him playable.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

Actually Majora's Mask is the best Zelda

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Serious question: is there any beneficial effect to rain in that game that I'm forgetting? The only effects I can remember are making me stop to swap out metal items so I don't get blasted by lightning, and making me waste time until I can climb stuff again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Leal posted:

The benefit to rain is dropping orbital strikes on enemies by throwing your metal weapons at them.

See, I don't have the imagination to do cool stuff like that. Give me a boss tutorial that explains in excruciating detail how to kill it with an orbital strike, and I'm on board.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Truly one of the smallest things dragging this game down: modern 3d games not allowing you to invert movement on one or both axes. In this case, Rise of the Tomb Raider having the x-axis locked down is pissing me off two minutes in, after just finishing the 2013 reboot which did have that option. Now the controls that became intuitive over the last 30 hours are suddenly backwards for me :geno:

Is there something tough I'm missing about implementing that? I'd think it's just a matter of an extra check flipping a sign or swapping values for the two dimensions, it seems so basic that I don't understand why the option isn't a given on modern computers & consoles.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Pretty sure the Tom Raider games have the invert axis options.

Rise only has it for the Y-axis (edit: yeah, I double-checked, just the Y-axis)

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Dec 2, 2018

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Invert Y and hold it upsidedown :derptiel:

:dadjoke:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and I don't have huge feelings about it other than it has more of the same fun running around adventuring, and I haven't had a huge problem with the pacing when I'm not actively deciding just to go around collecting junk. The photo mode is the best stupidly fun thing in the series.
(edit, I mean c'mon: )

But the one little thing that's really dragging it down is that they give you full body mod "outfits" including the lovely low-poly Lara from Tomb Raider 2, but then apparently disable it a bit into the story when you start getting into cutscene-heavier interactions with all the normal characters :mad:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Jan 8, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Unfortunate double-post, but I finally got to the point where I can forgive the game's little problem. It's such a perfectly bonkers choice in an otherwise SUPER DARK AND SERIOUS game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Even with my complaints I’ve been enjoying it because it does occasionally remember how to be really stupid fun. :allears:

Lara rising from a burning river to be a goddess of vengeance is 1000% more entertaining when it's the crap TR2 model, and I wish more games realized this mindset.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

After playing through the demo for Resident Evil 2 remake (which is pretty great), I decided to play through the PS4 version of my longtime favorite RE4 for the first time in a while, and it definitely has a few little things dragging it down by now.

RE2 controls really well, exactly how RE4 did in my mind, but in reality RE4 has started to feel a bit clunky - movement feels a bit hobbled, with turning using the left stick and looking to the side using the right stick just feeling slow in comparison, and switching to knife moves feels kinda awkward too. Between that and some interface stuff (no subtitle option :confused:, and all the popup info screens feeling huge and weirdly low res) it's definitely showing some age.

The core game is still super solid, it just needs a couple touch ups on the front end and it'd be just fine.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

This isn't the games fault it's 100% me but I turned RE4 on for the first time in over a year. I don't know where I need to go, why I have the weapons I have, or what the last plot bit was.

I'm in the castle holding the semi-automatic rifle so I have a vague idea but I'm not 100%

Just playing it over the last few days I've noticed it's easy to get turned around if you skip cutscenes and suspend the game at random times, it's crazy how much the last few games I've played (new Tomb Raider) have trained me to punch the "show me where to go" button constantly. It took a while to remember that there's a functional waypoint/locked door map, even if there is nothing highlighted outside that screen.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Inventory slots in Resident Evil. I know it's part of the experience but little stuff like keys and lockpicks shouldn't count and it's hosed up always having to know before hand what you need for the next trek.

On second thought, I actually like this element but loving hate it when it bites me in the rear end. Does the new game allow for dropping an item because that always seemed like BS too? Why can't I set down my wolf head, pick up that herb, combine it, grab those grenade rounds, combine them, then pick up whatever poo poo I can carry after that?

I've been playing through RE4 this past week and goddamn I love that game, inventory tetris included. Always just the right amount of space to have what you want or strategically drop a few things to get that extra weapon.
Just from the short RE2 remake demo I know I'm going to be frustrated to no end by its system, when I inevitably break down and buy it before too long.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

Yeah it's not an ideal situation to be going down but I don't really know how to correct it and get handgun bullets again.

Maybe it doesn't always work, but using one or two shots from anything seems to make more of that app magically appear, my usual tactic of conserving the last couple rounds actually seems to be a mistake. The only time I've ever had trouble is the really early part where you only have the pistol and the game is stingy on giving you anything.

Len posted:

Dino Crisis 2 is a better action game than RE4
No :colbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

DC2 is rough but it feels like a prototype for Mercs. Most zones feature never ending streams of dinosaurs that you gun down for points to buy bigger guns to get more points. It's rough but a fantastic proof of concept and I'm still disappointed that DC3 managed to take that formula, added jetpacks, and was garbage.

I should clarify that I'm 100% onboard for more classic Dino Crises, I just had to take a contrarian stance against the initial statement.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I forgot there was a separate puzzle difficulty, though, I’ll have to crank that up and see if it helps.

A little thing that drags that game up - it's surprisingly nice to have granular difficulty settings for combat/exploration/puzzles, I was surprised it popped up in the second sequel but I hope it becomes a standard for adventure games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

I got to my first ball maze puzzle in the Switch version of Breath of the Wild, and there does not seem to be any relation between how I hold my controller and how the maze moves.

I feel like those technically worked, but drifted further and further off from your controller's natural orientation so you're eventually holding it like 3/4 upside down and pointed away from you to be "level" - I remember thinking they needed an auto-calibrate button like Splatoon or something. Anyway they were among the list of puzzle room types where I cheesed the first one and then added them to my "nope" list for immediately turning around and leaving the shrine.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Feb 3, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I finished my first run-through of the RE2 remake, and it's pretty drat exceptional all around. Some inventory battling, but the upgrades came along faster than I expected so it wasn't that bad.

The little thing really dragging it down for me was the insistence on those dumb 3-letter combination locks, keeping track of scattered clues tying into those just feels like stupid busywork and a relic of older design that they should've changed. Later on there's a repeated set of puzzles where you have to do mini puzzles to unlock a few things, doing something like those (that take some thought rather than just wandering around to the right clue) is so much more fun.

It really is solid though, aside from that, and I hope we get more remakes at this level of polish *cough*4*cough*

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

No that's the middle.

Correct, also a pro tier username/post combo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Calaveron posted:

The island has the regeneradores which are prime scary resident evil

Oh yeah, that and weird stuff like "thing trapped in bag" are creepy as hell, especially in relation to the rest of the game. But that's pretty localized, nothing gets as batshit insane as the castle section.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Calaveron posted:

RE4 is basically the perfect game

I played through it just before the RE2 remake and honestly, I just had more pure fun despite it showing its age. New RE2 is fantastic but RE4 still has the strongest design in the series imo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"Suplex only" runs not being feasible is another thing dragging that game down.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Find one trustworthy person and go with them and their opinions. I am available for reviews if anyone has questions.

I've been wondering about RDR2 for a while now but am not sure whether I can trust the rest of this thread

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Did you like the first one?

Twist: I haven't played it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I think it’s a good game. I bought it brand new for sixty and have no regrets. I advise you to buy it.

More like oldthanksless

Edit: until now

Edit 2: because this post is thanking you

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Anyway sorry for the double post, but I'm also so enraged by the RE2 remake's insistence that I switch to another character with no abilities for a pre-scripted stealth sequence with instafails at every point if you don't figure out where the developers want you to hide anywhere along the way. I couldn't stand the original RE2's camera angles long enough to know whether it's in the original, but regardless, HOW IS IT SO GODDAMN HARD FOR DEVELOPERS TO UNDERSTAND THAT NOBODY LIKES THESE PARTS :kingsley:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Feb 7, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

edit: It occurs to me you probably figured all that out and more just complaining you have to do it at all

Basically yeah, I beat it, but it followed the same annoying sequence as every time games do this: I generally know what I need to do, but I start dying because I'm a little bit slow to get to the right cover, or I guess wrong about where to hide. Then I start dying because I know what to do but I'm so bored I get lazy about what I'm doing. And each of those requires time for reloading and waiting for the scripted sequence to play out, in the end it's maybe 30 minutes of getting angry to do something like 3 minutes of gameplay. It's aggravating because it happens in so many games, and I've never heard anyone praise them as anything stronger than "doable" so I don't know why it's such a common type of setpiece.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Poulpe posted:

Also, going to tag on that the optics of a grown rear end man chasing a literal child down a hallway while screaming "loving BITCH" at her aren't.... great.

Oh yeah, that was the other thing that bugged me, that whole sequence (and especially the fail cutscene) was gross in the weirdest tone-deaf way possible. I think that made the whole thing seem 10x worse in my mind than just the gameplay annoyance itself.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I mean yeah, of course the insane human taxidermist is a bad guy. The Sherry scenes just seemed like they had a different (pretty non Resident Evil-y) kind of horror vibe in their implications, which I didn't feel like was really intended. But I could be wrong.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Chief Irons is a pedophile. It was somewhat subtle in the OG RE2, they might have toned it up more in the RE2make but apparently not enough.

Well, I'll take back that part of my criticism if it was intentional, it seemed so out of left field for what I've seen of the series that it threw me off. But then it becomes a different thing dragging the game down, just stick to giving me over the top gross body horror in my RE games please.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Feb 8, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bussamove posted:

People complaining about Irons feels like being shocked and appalled at actual horror showing up in their horror video games.

Pike yeah zombies and their goopy grossness are kinda scary, but having an actual horrifying situation and person showing up is a bridge too far and “in bad taste” or whatever. Zombie movies are always ultimately horrifying because of the people that aren’t the zombies, complaining about that seems to so utterly miss the goddamn point its baffling.

Come on, Resident Evil mostly trades on various takes on spooky jump scares and goofily extreme body horror with people turning into gooey eyeball monsters and poo poo. I don't think it's that out there to be turned off by it suddenly turning into you playing a little kid repeatedly trying to flee from a child molester for twenty minutes. There's plenty of other media that has something to say about really dark themes like that, it just feels kinda offensive in how cheaply it's tossed into this style of game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Even though Irons was a creepy gently caress in the original game, too? Your point here is kind of silly and is proving the inclusion was effective, based on how much it's seeming to bother you.

That's somewhat true, I didn't get that far in the original so I'm judging it based on what I've played of the series from RE4-7. I guess what I'm complaining about is that it feels gross, but not in a way that really fits with how I think of the games, and in a way that doesn't really feel earned for that serious of a topic. But I'll shut up about it now, I know I'm not the only one with an opinion and I've helped drag out the one topic for too long.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

I really want Claire in Resi 2 remake to reload the grenade launcher without me having to hit the reload button. Weirdly, she does automatically reload if you fire your last of one type of grenade but have some of the other type in your inventory.

Oh, and her SMG sucks.

Oh man, I've been punched in the face or bitten quite a few times thanks to the first one, since I'm mostly using grenades as a last resort and haven't gotten used to that mechanic :mad:

The SMG isn't great, but I figure that's just the difference in game style after having finished RE4 with a few TMP damage upgrades and 150 ammo capacity.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

JackSplater posted:

Ace Combat 7: The A-10's "machine gun" is equally as weak as every other jet's.

I had been on the fence about buying AC7, but have now called in an orbital strike to remove it from existence.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Doc M posted:

Reflections tended to make obscenely hard games in general, including stuff like Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga and Stuntman on the PS2 (I got 100% completion on Stuntman :smug:).

Holy hell, I didn't know they were connected to some of the ultra tough Psygnosis stuff easy back on Amiga, I didn't realize Psygnosis just published those. Amiga and PS1, united in my unnecessarily spent rage :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Far Cry 5 just isn't as much fun as 4. And that's loving killing me, because I'm Airwolfing around in helicopter gunships and still thinking "Meh. This was better with the gyrocoptor and grenade launcher in 4."

I feel like all of my feelings on Far Cry 5, both good and bad, are summarized by the fact that the airplanes can successfully pull off a loop after a 30 foot takeoff roll.