Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
COD:AW you give me a goddamn double jump and then make it so I can't jump up to the top of any loving map. Every time I go hey cool I can cut through here INVISIBLE loving WALL no you cant stay on the ground pubbie. All this game does is make me want to play Titanfall more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

The narrator in Transistor annoys the poo poo out of me. Actually, just about everything in that game annoys me. I really don't like Transistor.

:getout:

Though I am curious is it the setting or the noir feel? I am biased because I really liked that game but still curious as to what you see as flaws.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I will give AC4 this, Kenway is both the character in that game I liked the least and the one I came to enjoy the most. It's not an amazing game but I felt they made the character turn around in a meaningful way through his actions by the end. For a game that I bought strictly to shoot pirate ships in that was a pleasant surprise. He was no Ezio but he is def my no.2 favorite int he series.

The new guy is AC:UNplayable is just loving boring. How the gently caress you make a revolution that literally consumed itself in violence boring is beyond me but they did it. Also every chest in the game requires you to log into something else to open it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MindlessHavok posted:

RDR did the best with this. When normally walking/riding a horse, you're slower and faster than them, but you can press a button that will force you to keep pace with them. I loved that.

Goddamn do I want another Red Dead game. I mean I know it won't be as good and all but, I just need my fix man and the last one was so good.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Edit: ^^^ Good Advice

vvvv Good Point (Also that sentence makes me laugh because I know there is one person out there still who loses their poo poo about Sephiroth to this day.)

ZeusCannon has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Mar 27, 2015

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The main problem with Dark Souls is it isn't Otogi 3

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have to say everytime I see your av I am reminded how much I love the aesthetic of Homeworld and then I reminded that I am absolute garbage at it, sort of bitter sweet.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It’s the worst and least ethical form of play, taking the naturally constrained single encounters of Chess or Go into the heart of an infinity spiral rotating out from the center of a box of microprocessors built out of a grand network of exploitive labor practices around the world, creating a transfixing hallucination sublimely disassociated from the networks of labor required to produce it. The friendships formed in message boards and YouTube comment threads offset by the number of lives pinned in place by the economic conditions necessary for the creation of such hallucinatory machinery, offering the great thrill of achievement for having done nothing but press a few half-inch buttons, hypnotized by the unseen patterns passing through the screen, scrotable only to those others who’d undergone the same rite of initiation and spoke the secret lexicon.

This is a amazing.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Static! posted:

I fell hook, line and sinker for the hype but still had more fun with watchdogs and it's mechanics than i did with any part of Black Flag (not including the actual pirating).

What does this actually mean out of curiosity? The pirating was all Black Flag was about minus those odd walk about your office scenes.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

kazil posted:

Probably that he only liked the ship parts and not the land parts.

Static! posted:

Exactly right.

That is perfectly acceptable and kind of what I thought but I just wondered.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
All this talk of yojimbo made me look up Gilgamesh from FFVIII. Because I liked the way he looked and forgot how he was acquired what he did.

.. and I found out apparently he is a dimensional hopping something and is the same character throughout all the FF games and has a storyline and wow why did I ever think poo poo like this was cool.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mister Adequate posted:

Sorry but Gilly is cool and good and you are a nerd if you don't love him

Its less that the FF8 Gilgamesh wasn't cool (I still dig the weird prosthetic arms) it's more that you look at any video game thing and now there is always all this loving strange rear end over complicated back story. Why can't he just be a cool summon? Instead he has to be the brother of the mailman of FF1 who went on to be the main recurring villain in FF2 who fell in love with his twins doubles cousins favorite dog in FF6.

It's like the star wars prequels all over again where everyone knew everybody and there are like 10 actual characters in a cast that seems to number hundreds. I can't make this connection really make sense its just the first place my mind goes when you talk about needlessly shoehorning in repeating characters.

:goonsay:

ZeusCannon has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Apr 24, 2015

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

he worked for someone in 5 and then was transported, so he's been wandering the universes ever since.

When you put it that way it isn't as annoying.

I am just gonna chalk this up as an irrational thing and come back to it later.

ZeusCannon has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Apr 24, 2015

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

im pooping! posted:

The more fun part is where you forget that you can flirt with yeoman Chambers through the whole game but if you invite her to dinner, you still have the choice to not sleep with her so you can still be faithful to whoever you want. If you forget that little nugget, Chambers won't offer to feed your fish and you lose out on a +5% bonus in Mass Effect 3 because save editors will mark Kelly keeping your fish as you cheated on your Mass Effect 2 girl/boyfriend. And you figure this out like 6 hours into your Mass Effect 3 file and the only thing you can do is replay Mass Effect 2. And probe planets again.

I never understood why chambers was a semi romance option. Why give that weird in between option and not give the option for her to be the person you are interested in? Video games are weird and romance options in them are weird.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I keep almost buying GTA V but something keeps telling me not too. I don't know what it is but I have a very strange reticence in purchasing it. Perhaps because I worry I will just goof off in it and quickly lose interest.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yea that's why i have held off. I remember liking IV but ill be damned if i can remember why.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I basically shut off all of their abilities except ones I could combo with or ones that would bring downed allies back to life. But then I ended up playing a sword and shield warrior since I let my brother pick my character and they are pretty much unkillable. I had to quit a dragon fight because the dragon couldn't hurt me and I couldn't really hurt it and my mages had all tried to get in close for some reason, thats when I changed the AI.

Also wait did everyone hate GTA 4? I liked that one, it was fun/interesting and the main character was at least semi relatable rather than being a mafia killing machine in a miami beach shirt (not that this wasnt also acceptable.).

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I forgot for a moment my bad.

edit: the worst top of page response. In content news I tried to play assassins creed unity last night and was reminded why I don't play that game. Everyone in it is booooooring.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like that Far Cry 4 had a fairly good auto drive. It let me faff about while driving to the next mission. But I do remember for some reason every time I would get into the car I would throw a rock through the windshield, I feel like it was a control thing like I would want something else and would just hit throw stone for some reason.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I really liked the nemesis system but I distinctly remember getting to the end game and the big bad group of orcs for.. I dunno sauron or whoever and not knowing any of them.

Again really liked the system it was just weird for them to be like "remember me?!?!?"

".......no. have we met before?"

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

While true, that’s only something that came out recently, and it’s why they didn’t plan for a girl MC to begin with.

My point is that people have been making fun of them saying they couldn’t add a second NPC later in development for a lot longer than that, but at the time anyone started caring originally it was a completely valid response. Main character rigging isn’t a two second process.

Wut

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
But then how will they mask load times

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

In Hades, that mini-boss room in Asphodel with the witches can gently caress right of. I only seen to get that room on runs without any Athena boons or even the shield as my weapon.

Hard agree

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The general removal of lethal parries from AC was what i hate. I know there was an argument that parries trivialized combat but it felt very on brand for an assassin.

Dont get me started on when they introduced enemies you just couldnt loving fight without specific weapons / level. loving AC3

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

It worked better when enemies could run. Just standing around fatally countering until the last few guys throw their weapons down and run was the best

This is why the "lazy" way was awesome. Aggressive offensive parries would be good too instead of whatever the gently caress nonsense they ended up with. 4 was the last good AC

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Didnt DS3 have a gimmick where one player would "hallucinate" enemies the other player couldnt see?

That was a kinda cool idea.

I dont know, i didnt play it and its been a bit since i watched CJacobs LP

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I guess I'll just have to do the LP over again but with more detailed analyses and co op integration with my cool pals Sally and Crow then won't I!

Id watch it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also if you find people to play with that have played before that can smooth things over. Its a really good game but it does kinda overcomplicate some things.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

So many people had a bug up their butts about it "teaching bad habits".

This is true the defender armor is fine. Itll make LR a little easy but thats ok. Also though as someone whose whole build was designed around mainlining mushrooms to stay alive i may be biased.

oldpainless posted:

Or it shows a sense of commitment and shows you can be relied upon to employers.

i once in real life ran into a resume that cited completion of games as a sign of getting things done and problem solving. Which was bananas, dont put that on your loving resume.

ZeusCannon has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Jan 21, 2022

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

For what it's worth "don't talk about playing games on your resume" is legitimately bad advice, mentioning that I play visual novels got me the comission making the trailers and some promo materials for this game. If I hadn't been specific they would probably have passed me up in favor of artists who had done anime/VN work before. You play video games for fun, why would you be afraid to talk about that fact with other people?

edit: Your boss isn't fuckin Biff from Back to the Future. He's not going to give you a swirly because you mention have played a thousand hours of American Truck Simulator, a trucking game, at your hauling job interview.

I will adjust my statement. If you are interviewing in the game industry then yes please feel free to talk about games. If you are applying for a job outside of that? Dont mention it.

And to be clear feel free to answer "I like to play videogames" as your response to what is your hobby or whatever. Its not shameful but its not something to document unless its specifically applies to a job. Telling me you are a real problem solver because you once beat Majoras Mask is not helpful.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I didn't explain it well. The person who handed me the resume had legitimately put that they had beaten RPGs (I think Morrowind specifically? Its been years so the details are foggy) as a sign of their ability to solve problems. This was not presented as a hobby or what but rather as part of their educational background.

Past that tbh youre right people put whatever they want on their cv / resume since its theirs to do with as they will. Also this is now the derail dragging this thread down so I will cease.

oldpainless posted:

I regret all of my posts but I especially regret making this one

Hell, same.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Evilreaver posted:

I'm a big fan of FF4 with Palom and Porom turning themselves to stone (via the Stone spell, explicitly) in order to save the party from a deathtrap. When you 'talk' to their statues, a dialog comes up that allows you to use items on them, such as Soft etc. Nothing will work, of course

This is cool but I am also some how hypocritically also a huge fan of things like in FF9 where you can save a character with an item.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not to go restart fallout 4 talk but every loving one of us knew the "twist" the moment that first loving cutscene ended right.

I was actively disappointed in the game from the word go because it was so blatant.

Far harbor was nice though. loving hermit crab scared the poo poo out of me.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Didnt chrono cross poo poo all over chrono triggers canon anyways at this point

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

The Telltale Tales from the Borderlands characters being added to Borderlands 3

Big oof. That one hurt bad. Least they didnt touch loaderbot or gortys.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I never played Other M and I never will but it may be the game I hate the most. I dont know what the gently caress happened around then but it was like every person in the studio lost their loving mind about that character.

Samus has always been kinda like the doomslayer to me. In that she's basically a one person unstoppable army. So the sudden weird submissive character shift to having Men in CHARGE weirded me out to no end.

jjack229 posted:

I only played a few hours of Borderlands 2 and that does sound like a terrible premise.

and yet somehow it REALLY works!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

rodbeard posted:

Basically the original character designer for Samus is a huge weirdo and Other M was what happened when no one else working on the game had enough authority to overrule his ideas. There's bits of it in Fusion too.

Its always sad to learn something was good in spite of its creator and said creator then returned full of authority to ruin it so it fit their vision.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

And then Metroid Dread up and fixed everything by making it hella fun, encouraging a lot of exploration and giving Samus only two lines one which is spoken in birdese and the other is a guttural scream of unbridled rage which also syncs up with her suit being controlled by her emotions except that it becomes stronger the angrier she gets

Was sorta hoping they dropped the bullshit controlled by emotions thing entirely tbh.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The problem with banning anime is that would mean we cant have hilarious "kawaii" cat girl skins in call of duty and whatever else "realistic" fps.

There is nothing funnier than pissing off ultra serious cod bros with out of place anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The little thing dragging this game down is all the people who like it.