Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Barfing Cumlord posted:

Yo I really loving loved this game in closed beta and had a hell of a lot of fun with it, but the performance issues eventually made it too frustrating to play. I know people quoted "they'll optimize it, don't worry!!!" at me a lot, so did that ever happen?

I was pretty much unable to play the game due to performance problems from early CBT through Winter Beta. They've done quite a bit since and while the game doesn't run flawlessly it's very much playable. The only major problems I've had have been during events in cities or random bugged out areas that seem to crash framerate.

None of the dungeons or battlegrounds gave me any major frames issues, so that's a plus as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Sedisp posted:

Playing the Stalker is about picking fights well. Mercing a dude at full health will be difficult since reinforcements have a tendency to show up but anyone near forty percent health is dead. Stalkers played right are the closest thing to immortal this game has.

The issue with Stalker currently is that it doesn't really excel at anything. I was around 90% sure I'd play Stalker from pretty early in CBT up until the last handful of patches. Repeated reductions in the single-target damage and burst damage and a comparatively underwhelming late-game utility kit make it good at a lot of things, but not great at any single one. By level 25 you have most of what you'll be using as Stalker, since the unlocked AMP abilities are largely not good. In PvP you deal mid-range levels of burst well below a Spellslinger or Onslaughted Warrior and have almost no sustain. Recent nerfs to Preparation and further nerfs to Impale have put Stalker in a rough place for PvP. Lower level PvP is where your Stalker will peak since you have all of your control and escape tools and other classes typically don't.

In PvE you will deal top-tier single target damage and mid-tier AoE damage. Stalkers are still solid tanks, but they take much spikier damage than the other tanks and their big defensive CD just got halved in effectiveness this last patch. What is more frustrating to me is the general lack of group utility and the number of abilities that are unusable or useless in their current state. There is no clear role for Stalker now that they aren't dealing more single target damage than the other classes and that's a problem. Devs have posted that Stalker AoE will be looked at, but nothing substantial on their lack of utility and PvP sustain.

I'm leaning much more toward Warrior, having eliminated Engineer out of the running in open beta. I'd still love to play Stalker, but I spent too much time playing a unique snowflake in WoW (Feral) to want to endure it again.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Brackhar posted:

They might have switched over from debug builds to release builds, which would help perf.

They've been doing incremental fixes as well that have helped my terrible FPS. There was also combat logging going on that you could see by looking at the amount of memory your combat log addon was using, that seems to have been turned off for the time being. They've come a long way since Winter Beta when the game was neigh unplayable on my machine to it merely being slightly lovely.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

hit button posted:

Their pathing can be a bit buggy sometimes, so they occasionally need some micromanagement. They're definitely worth using though. Their abilities are off the global cooldown, so you can use them while doing whatever other attacks. The bruiserbot's combined taunt and interrupt makes Engineers one of the best classes for soloing primes. Artillerybot barrage is really good for pve dps. I didn't pvp with engineer, but the Diminisher bot's massive AOE snare looks like it'd be really handy.

The best workaround for the bot pathing is to bind your pet command Stop to something convenient. This command will stop the bots wherever they're at and return them to your location. I found this worked in nearly every situation that they disappeared or started wandering on a bad path. Arty bot is absolutely a signifigant damage increase, but you will have to micro it to some extent in Dungeons and Raids: the Stop command is pretty vital in those cases. Diminisher is great and if they ever fix the bugs with Repair bot it'll likely be solid in PvP as well.

I really liked using Arty + Diminisher in the point cap/def Battleground for area denial and to set up clumps for Electrocute spam. Engineer is actually a lot of fun and I was seriously considering it for a long while, but the lack of mobility killed it for me. I love being able to leap and dash all over the drat place.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Tokaii posted:

OMG Settler sucks!

Dom Scientist is a bit too Nazi Doctor Leo Spaceman for my taste, but I'll still probably rock the trenchcoat on my robit.

With regard to rolling classes based on current numbers performance I'd advise against it unless you're a hardcore progression raider and care more about output than playing a class that you enjoy. I personally have moved through multiple classes that were under and over powered at various stages, but my ultimate decision is based on playing the class I found the most fun. The numbers will be tweaked constantly and Carbine's stated desire is for all DPSers to be competitive; that won't be realistic on launch, but I'd expect it to happen within the first few months of patching.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

a cat on an apple posted:

NCSoft is a Publisher. They Publish games, meaning they handle a lot of stuff dealing with marketing, support, and etc..

They don't make the games themselves, but they are in a position to demand the game developers fulfill certain things, especially if player retention is an issue.

In this case Carbine is a subsidiary of NCSoft who acquired them early in the development of Wildstar. They have a publisher credit on the game since the Austin-based US subsidiary of the company doesn't develop in-house.

Windchilla fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 26, 2014

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

The Wicked Wall posted:

Pretty sure in raid content, all path actual gameplay affecting stuff is disabled or useless?

All path abilities are blocked whenever you're in instanced play including: Raid, Dungeons, Battlegrounds, Arena and Warplots. I'd say Scientist has the most useful end-game abilities with being able to summon and teleport in the open world, especially on a PvP server.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Miles O'Brian posted:

I hate it when things aren't homogenised and boring clones of each other too.

Draken stoop owns and it bothers me that the females stand so straight.

Total WoW Troll throwback. I love the Draken combat crouch, but I don't like the actual posture slouch. Draken also look amazing with Stalker claws, so that settled me on Mechari Warrior and Draken Stalker.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009
It's an MMO lauch, so yeah it'll be rough and poo poo will go wrong; get over it. Fortunately once we get past the inevitably rocky launch there is an actual full game here to play. Not two weeks worth of leveling with no end-game content, not a disjointed leveling experience that forces you to grind between quest hubs just to progress. This is something that no MMO in recent memery has done and is why I'm legitimately excited about playing this game.

Whether you like what the actual game has to offer is up to you, but there's a full world of gameplay here and I'm looking forward to playing it, queue or not.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Sab669 posted:

I really haven't been paying attention to this game at all, what's the average playtime for level cap? As you said, most MMO's recently have been really lovely about forcing you to grind or do other things to level. I felt like in GW2 I had to craft and do PVP lest I be stuck grinding those repeatable random events in a zone, and I hate basically everything that isn't just questing / pve :colbert: so from what I experienced in the beta where I had more quests than necessary I'm pretty excited.

It's in the 50-80 hours played range for your filthier-than-average poopsocker. That's really dependent on whether your doing things like leveling your path and completing zones. With an optimal leveling path mapped out I'm sure there are people able to do it in the 40-45 range, but that's doing things such as early BG queues with a group then taking that group into efficiently completing adventures and speed running dungeons.

In the latest build of the game I felt the leveling speed was in a good place. There are many different ways to gain XP and none of them feel lovely, unless you count under-level questing which is noticeably worse than same/higher level questing.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Smooth launches do happen! But I don't think this is going to be one of those games.

The smoothed MMO launch I've witnessed recently was ESO, but despite good server uptime and the game being playable they had all sorts of awful problems such as: characters becoming unplayable after respecing, inventory/bank slots disappearing and taking items with them, numerous seemingly random rollbacks and instances of intermittent and disabling lag/rubberbanding.

I think the worst I may have experienced first-hand is probably a tie between Anarchy Online and Asheron's Call 2. The AC2 launch was so bad that it killed off a significant chunk of an already small launch population.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

flipoff posted:

What about medic healing turned you off? I'm going back and forth about rolling a medic or a spellslinger, so I'm interested to hear the pros and cons of both.

If you're planning on PvPing I'll tell you that killing a Spellslinger is WAY easier for me as a Warrior or Stalker than killing a Medic. Spellslinger has more mobility, but less area denial and they seem a lot more squishy. Medic can't so much escape the meleers, but they heal through the damage very well and can put down some damage/snare of their own in large patches of ground.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Libertine posted:

Is there some way to pull a code for a character you've already created?
You can also transfer your addon settings. Search for your %appdata% folder and locate the folder for the old character within the server folder then copy those contents to the character folder on your new server.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Tha Chodesweller posted:

See, the weird thing is, I played the gently caress out of GW2. Then I hit level 80, and there wasn't anything to do. So these crazy rear end raids in WildStar look good - I didn't quite like raids in WoW so much because as a DPS, it wasn't very involving.

GW2 had engaging gameplay, but when your endgame is "grind for currency to buy cosmetic items" it's just... no. Not fun.

Yeah, the idea behind Guild Wars 2 is you're always playing the end-game, because the entire game is the end-game. Unfortunately that translated into all of the content falling flat and it wasn't helped by the boring and limiting action set.

The cool thing about Wildstar is that it's releasing with substantial end-game content for a variety of different players. There are multiple release BGs, including rated BGs, Arenas and Warplots for PvP players. There are Veteran dungeons which scale up and include additional content over their normal versions and a substantial amount of raid content with more in the works. There is even a max level daily zone for those who just haven't had enough of dailies. There is plenty to do and it's largely well-polished, especially for a release MMO.

Metrohunter posted:

Game was working perfectly up until the last patch and now I get memory overflows every 10 minutes. :smithicide:

Try forcing the client to run DX9 or DX11, this solved those issues for me when it happened earlier in beta. Adding " -dx11" to the end of the target string in your shortcut will force DX11.

Windchilla fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 29, 2014

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

A Tartan Tory posted:

Don't worry, you can use engineers without bots at the highest levels of play apparently.

Though you can play an Engineer without bots at high levels you'd be gimping yourself in a DPS spec. Artillery Bot adds significant damage and is irreplaceable in PvE DPS builds. You can get away with no bots in a tank and pvp spec, but you'll still be putting yourself at a disadvantage in most situations. They offer excellent buffs, debuffs and give Engineers an additional taunt/IA break.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Doublestep posted:

Does stalker have any glaring issues at level 50? After my PvP session today I'm really considering rolling with it.

With regard to PvP? The current state of Stalker has them on the lower-end of effectiveness in Arenas. In Battlegrounds they are very effective at some roles, especially mask running/stealing on Temple and general disruption in Halls. The issue with Stalker right now is they have seen both their burst and sustained damage reduced in a number of patches leading to release. These balances were largely PvE oriented, but they have a major effect on PvP. This coupled with the recent change to T4+ Preperation, namely making it break your stealth on cast, put them into a spot where they don't really excel at any one role, but can fill most of them only adequately.

If you want to directly compare them to current Warriors they do less damage, including single-target burst (which shouldn't be the case), have less utility, less mobility and fewer CC breaks. They have a similar level of survivability to Warrior as they can still disengage from combat better than any other class, unfortunately the damage they're able to inflict between disengages isn't where it probably should be come live. The Stalker dev has stated that they are monitoring Stalker effectiveness in PvP after these recent nerfs, so I'm relatively sure they will be buffed in some way that improves their TTK in PvP without making them too powerful in PvE.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

glug posted:

With wasd movement, strafing, and holding down abilities while you aim them before releasing, it seems confusing as gently caress though.. I'm sure it'll make sense when I dive into it. Gonna prolly break a finger though.

You can change settings to activate your abilities on keypress instead of keyrelease and I find it much more responsive, especially once you learn your class's telegraphs. There is also an addon called Steer that allows you to lock mouselook FPS style and really works well in the action combat setting.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

dreffen posted:

:frogsiren: special sneak peek of double steps class choice here :frogsiren: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NwwY9y6O3hw

Caaaan youuu dig it?

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Doublestep posted:

How's the PvE side of things?

As of the last available build they were still parsing slightly ahead in single-target PvE fights. They fall behind in cleave/AoE situations, mostly because the mechanic Neutralize uses isn't conductive toward sustained damage. They lack a 2xIA break interrupt, which is unfortunate since there are raid encounters that require a lot of IA breaking, but other classes can compensate. They don't bring any real raid buffs, debuffs or utility that are unique to the class yet.

They're completely viable to both Tank and DPS Vet Dungeons and Raid content. I haven't personally tanked in a raid setting, but I have tanked Vet Dungeons on a Stalker and they were pretty smooth. My major gripe with the class outside of lack of utility is that the stealth mechanic feels clunky when tanking.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

I did one battleground as warrior and ended up with 0 kills, 12 deaths and top damage done, but we won. Take that as you will.

In the first tier of BGs I always had the most damage taken and the most mask caps, but low range damage dealt and kills. Soon as you unlock Tremor and start picking up T4 abilities your burst skyrockets and your mobility only gets better. Warriors are a top tier PvP class end game currently and bring a lot of tools to both Arena and BG.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009
Is anyone doing organized/practice BGs over on Warbringer Dominion at 50 yet? I'm looking to get a group of people together since I find Exiles seem to just never solo queue and actually winning BGs solo-queuing is not so much happening.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Admittedly, I have dual gathering professions, but at level cap you get a good bit of coin just off your dailies. Further more, as I just learned, exp = cash if you're capped on Elder Gems for the week. Then just vendoring everything I can since the AH/CX is hosed and people sell stuff for less than it vendors still.

Also salvaging blue items at 50 can get you the more rare cores which seem to sell pretty well right now. Simply leveling 1-50 and vendoring everything should get you enough Plat for at least 2 CREDDs at current prices.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

PaganGoatPants posted:

People seem to be getting billed more than once. 4-6 times even. Check your account.

After having this happen with other MMOs I've always paid through Paypal if it's available since they allow near instant charge reversals for payers.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

fadam posted:

EDIT: I just saw your edit. You understand they nerfed Rampage's damage again too, right? People are mad at more than just the dumbfuck AoE nerf. Double pulling Veteran groups with a Stalker tank and blowing them all up was a consistent way to save time on silver runs. Now Warriors are significantly worse at that.

They did not nerf Rampages damage again. This was the nerf from a previous patch and the same notes were copied over, no values changed. The only new change is the Rampage target reduction.

Patch from 7/15 contained all the identical notes for Warrior. https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/96899-update-notes-7152014/

Windchilla fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

We did a cool thing.

• Locked thread