Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

What kind of bizarro world is this where the MMO class called "medic" is second most popular and the one called "warrior" is least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Ad by Khad posted:

I played healer-medic during beta and I don't recommend it. The only times the class felt unique to me were the times where it pissed me off. That said, some goons in this thread really enjoyed medic dps.

Out of my friends who tried the game, the one who liked it picked Esper, so maybe that?

Why did it piss you off? Genuinely curious, I didn't get to play beyond fiddling around with the char gen. I usually play the healer to my friend's tank and medic seemed the most appealing. I got the impression spellslingers will be a dime a dozen and espers stand in place a lot.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I think chua is the only race's run/jog animation I like so far. Fem granok, mechari and mordesh look stupid and feel really slow to boot. I'm guessing the other races are better if only because they're tinier but I'm not really interested in rolling any of them.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Sab669 posted:

They are the one true master race. And I'm pretty sad I can't play a Chua Stalker :emo:

They're definitely one of the best made in this game. I would make one but I'm bored with the whole conniving race of midget geniuses theme after playing a goblin in WoW and an asura in GW2.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

blueberrysmith posted:

Medic's much lower in this round of census taking.

You're better off using your intuition in these matters anyway--those polls are practically worthless. No way medics are going to be more popular than warriors/stalkers/spellslingers. Unless they are flavor of the month OP, but even then that will take a few weeks for your average player to catch on to.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Is the naming system like GW2's where your name has to be unique across literally ever server in your region, or is it by per server basis like WoW?

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

angrynaut posted:

The lack of Oceanic PVP server makes things needlessly complicated. Do I roll on this "unofficial Oceanic PVP" realm in Widow that is also the home to RP-PVPers and redditors (and likely queues) or just hit up Pergo and risk missing all the fun due to time-zone differences?

(Of course, the answer is obvious.)

Pergo is going to have tons of players, probably more than Widow. So I wouldn't worry about queues.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Normal Adult Human posted:

A bunch of stuff that's still easier than heroic arcatraz.

I'm gonna light you up sweetcheeks

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Interstellar Owl posted:

So what seems to be the most popular class? And how is the lag on headstart day? Is the optimization better? Rather not plop 60 bucks and have my GTX670 still chug on the game.

I have a stock 670 and am running everything maxed with no issues.

Spellslingers are probably the most popular, I guess. All of the classes seem fairly well represented.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I mailed some money and decorations to a level 1 alt after I deleted a level 9 character (I was changing classes and wanted to free up the name). Is there no mailbox at all in the tutorial zones? Do I literally have to quest for an hour or two to get to the first town or can I run past everything?

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

First Bass posted:

I understand that a lot of development time had to be devoted to making the game PLAYABLE (i.e. optimizations, server stabilization), but a lot of stuff seems... unpolished, to put it lightly.

Did they ever give a reason as to why your mob-filled areas are interspersed with the subtly red-outlined elites that range from "interesting challenge" to "skullfuckingly difficult"?

They contribute more to kill challenges compared to regular mobs. In my experience the extra time it takes to kill them still doesn't make it worth it, unless you're in a group.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

panda clue posted:

Why even have alternate classes? It just makes the game needlessly complicated. Why even have extra abilities at all for that one class? Lets just make one class, one race, with one ability and be done with it.

gently caress it, playing video games is too tedious, I'm gonna go stare at a wall.

You're an idiot.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I'm fine with it on foot but don't make me do it on my mount :colbert:

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Can someone please recommend an addon that lets you move the resource bar (thing that tells you how many actuators you have as medic, etc.) around? Being locked at the bottom of the screen above the hotbar has to be one of the worst places possible for such an important feature.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Tupper posted:

Look into Medicate. The dev ducked out, but it still works for now. Another dev is likely to pick up the project next time it needs work

Thanks. I actually came across that before but passed it over because I assumed it didn't work anymore.

Zoness posted:

I believe Candybars lets you move a lot of UI elements around.

Also the wildstar default UI is really quite good as far as default UIs go and I've rarely had problems properly using my class resources from the bottom of the screen on multiple classes, just sayin'.

You can get used to anything. I had no huge qualms with it until I started healing groups, when occasionally losing track of my actuator count during hectic moments resulted in the tank dying. The UI works but it's far from "really quite good" unless you're comparing it to WoW circa 2005.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Ciaphas posted:

The base game doesn't offer switchable gearsets anywhere that I can't see, does it? If not is there an addon out there already?

If I can't switch my Medic's role at the drop of a hat I will be sad :(

Best you can do is turn off inventory sorting and leave your second set of gear at the bottom for fast swapping. Yes it's stupid.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Should I fit Shield Surge into my ability set when healing 5 mans as medic? I tried replacing Crisis Wave with it but that seemed like a bad idea as the sole healer. I'm only 26 so I don't have the last ability slot yet.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

a cat on an apple posted:

I have limited experience since I've been gearing myself more towards questing than grouping, but Shield Surge is an absolutely amazing skill. If you have T4 in it, then whomever you land Shield Surge on will take literally no HP damage until they run out of shield. It effectively becomes like any other healer's Absorb skills except with no cooldown but requiring 2 Actuators. I've most commonly duo'd with an Engineer who loves his Shield Bot, and between the two of us his HP bar just seriously never budges. The only way he ever takes damage is if either I get CC'd and can't work on building or he takes a telegraph to the face, which is bad on the tank's part.

However...

Clearly, in Adventures and especially Dungeons, Shield Surge and Triage will not be enough to keep your entire group. I still suggest Shield Surge over Crisis Wave, however, because you can get slightly cheaper, slightly burstier HP healing via T4 Mending Probes w/ Flash. At Level 25, you have enough skill points to have T4 Shield Surge and T4 Mending Probes, and T1 Flash has a near-perfect cooldown to constantly maximize detonating Mending Probes. You're basically only going to be waiting about three or four seconds before you cast Mending Probes after its cooldown. Alternatively, if you need more sustained HP healing, rather than burst healing, you can drop Mending Probes (entirely, if you want) and pick up T4 Flash. The only problem with this particular set-up is it's literally the most Focus-intensive HP healing set-up you can get, but its HP gains outweigh even Emission/Crisis Wave spam.

I think the only reason you should ever not take Shield Surge is either a) you need the larger telegraph of Crisis Wave (can't think of any real scenarios where this can't be resolved by telling allies to stick together) or b) you are somehow in a situation where shield heals won't do much, but I mean if it comes down to this then you're kind of screwed anyway because Medics almost revolve around shield healing.

I was running T4 Shield Surge and Probes for the detonate with Flash. Got 1/3 of the way through healing Stormtalon before I went back to Crisis Wave primarily because I kept running out of focus. I attributed that to SS's higher cost, but the tank might have just been undergeared, so I guess I'll try it again another time and see how it works out. It was alarming because I've never run out of focus in either of the level 20 dungeons so far.

I know the obvious regarding shield healing being medic's shtick, I was just uncertain of whether it's viable at my level. I also do not want to feel responsible for wipes while experimenting with builds if this stuff is already mostly common knowledge.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

a cat on an apple posted:

Honestly if you never ran out of focus in the Dungeons before then you must have been incredibly lucky with your groups or have innately amazing sense with your heal power.

Shield Surge does have a higher cost, but it's worth pointing out that Crisis Wave also has a pretty high cost. T4 Flash/Emission spam, Crisis Wave/Emission spam, and Shield Surge/Emission spam are your three highest focus/second rotations. Notice a pattern? I highly suggest Triage, Dual Shock, Mending Probes, and Barrier, and only using one of the above "spenders" as an emergency thing. In general, I've found that if I have to use my spenders, then either someone did something wrong, or the boss entered a specifically pressuring rotation.

Never had a major problem with focus until that run. Probably ran ST/Kel Voreth about 6 times now and the level 15 adventure several times. I run with guild groups so maybe that's why.

The tank was taking damage that required me to spam the big stuff, so I'll just chalk it up to crappy gear. I use all those abilities except Barrier, which I replaced with Recharge. I think I'll give that a shot too.

Ciaphas posted:

It almost sounds like healing is more complicated than tanking in this game? :stare:

I've been playing healing classes in games for a long time and Wildstar's implementation is the most fun I've had with it in an MMORPG

folgore fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 6, 2014

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Pffft.

I'm not even an explorer. :science:

Scientist has you doing more legit exploring than explorer does, I think.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I usually abandon challenges when they first pop up and retry when the situation is optimal for a silver or gold, i.e. you're not competing with 3 other retards or there's actually enough spawns around to complete the poo poo. There's no wait time if you drop out before getting a medal.

The difficulty of challenges is all over to place regardless. Sometimes you get ones with copious amounts of time that you would have to try to fail, while others flat-out are too short, or have too few spawns, or too little credit per kill etc. etc. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

gigawhite posted:

I was really enjoying this game up until we got to the first pair of dungeons at 20. Jesus christ what a screwjob those things are for barely any reward. It was satisfying to finally beat one of them but half a level and one crappy blue item for two hour's work doesn't justify it at all. I get that dungeons are supposed to be challenging with adventures being a little more forgiving, but I'm a guy who likes running 5 man dungeons while I'm leveling and I don't want to set foot into another one of those again at this point.

Even if you enjoyed the dungeons (like I do) there aren't a lot of them leveling up. After Stormtalon/Kel Voreth you won't see another until 35. In between, you have the snoozefest DOTA adventure and the Siege of Whatever, which I haven't run but have not heard a single good thing about it from the people who have.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Poultron posted:

No seriously, what do people use for soloing as a Medic? Not PvP, I couldn't give less of a gently caress. Soloing. Questing. I'm doing alright but I'm the kind of guy who likes to optimize his leveling.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29581-medic-leveling-guide-updated-527/ just follow that

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

BadLlama posted:

My Build

This is what I have been using. Never die. Never Stop. Doesn't have the highest TTK but you can just keep on trucking and are pretty immune to ganks.

Without gamma rays or quantum cascade I think "doesn't have the highest TTK" is huge understatement.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

A Tartan Tory posted:

People seem to have this crazy idea that the Esper has mobility issues.

The game would benefit from a trial system for classes that lets you see how they play at high level before you invest time into actually leveling them. People are writing off espers based on the newbie zone experience.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

cathead posted:

Yeah god forbid they listen to people who have actually played the class.

Ok great, they should still let people trial level 25 characters at a minimum, like GW2 and I believe Tera did. There are no significant downsides to this. Everyone becomes more knowledgeable about the game and you can stop pissing your diaper every time a goon posts something stupid about espers.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Is there a way to make friendly nameplates not disappear behind large enemies? This is making healing during giant bosses a chore. I don't have occlusion turned on under the Bijiplates menu either.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Running Skullcano earlier, I swear there were several instances of my heals doing absolutely nothing to the tank even though he was well within the green. I'm tempted to start recording my dungeon runs to see if this stuff is actually happening or just me imagining things in the heat of the action.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Sab669 posted:

Was he an Engineer? They're extremely buggy. Like, literally "cannot be healed" level of bugs.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48617-list-of-the-engineer-bugs/

A few pages back but yes, he was an engie. That's retarded. At least I know now.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
There's the skeech in the Farside biodome who has a hat on that makes him smart and his quests have the player trying to "improve" the skeech race via reeducation and other hamfisted crap. Then his hat starts to fail and he becomes dumb again and the other exile NPCs say "welp, guess it was just the helmet that made him smart, skeech will always be drooling savage retards after all--go kill this idiot and bury him somewhere remote" The end.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
LF Skullcano run where the tank doesn't try to skip a million packs that inevitably end up getting pulled by accident and wiping the group, costing more time than skipping them would have saved in the first place.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

boho posted:

Note in the ad he says "I don't care if you're studying for your SAT or your PHD." Those are the alpha and omega of their lifespans.

They're all entitled college-age white boys being bankrolled by their parents.

congrats you cracked the case

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Demiurge4 posted:

Is there a place to get your science outfit if you accidentally sold a piece or two? :(

Not yet, but IIRC someone from Carbine said they're looking into path vendors or something along those lines to give people a way to buy the specific costumes if they've accidentally vendored them.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Strange Horizon posted:

I mentioned this in the Terrible Secrets of Space chat earlier but something I've noticed I really miss from playing WoW is that I used to enjoy leveling up by chain-running dungeons. It's a bit slower than just questing, but with a tank or healer you get a fast queue and level up by performing a role you want to play at end game.

The problem is that the Wildstar dungeons are just too difficult for PUGs to go through at a reasonable rate if you're running multiple dungeons for experience gain. I don't want them nerfed, it's just a shame that the difficulty (which I enjoy) is at odds with my favoured leveling method.

Maybe after a few months when people know the fights more it'll be something that's more reasonable to do. Until then, I'm starting to find the questing dragging on a bit at 39, even with lots of PvP interspersed.

I'm about to hit 40 and feel the same way. The XP rewards from running dungeons are very weak considering the effort involved. I think this is primarily why people don't run them. If it was actually worth the time, maybe your average player would be willing to tolerate a few wipes instead of quitting at the first sign of trouble. Not to mention loot can drop from bosses that is unusable by anyone in the group. It's quite a kick in the balls when you get through a tough run and 3/4s of the poo poo that dropped was worthless.

Carbine are outspoken about rewarding players that put the effort in for difficult group content (i.e. raiders) at level 50. I don't see any convincing arguments for why 1-49 has to be any different.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

nopantsjack posted:

Okay I'm slowly coming round to this MMO after looking at the addons and I desperately need something to play.

Are people happier to see tanks or heals in this game?

I have no stats to support this, but judging by queue times with my warrior friend, there are a lot less tanks than anything else. My friend and I queued for the first adventure with me as healer/dps and him just as DPS. A few minutes of no pops, we re-queued with him as tank and got a group instantly. People are afraid to tank apparently. Queues as healer on my level 40 medic are long enough that there doesn't seem to be a shortage of healers either.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

kingcobweb posted:

People that do adventures/dungeons as a medic healer, what does your skill bar look like? How does your gear vary from standard questing fare?

For the first two dungeons and level 15 adventure you can just slot Emission/Crisis Wave/Dual Shock/Mending Probes/Flash and Paralytic Surge for helping stun mobs. Also Barrier for emergencies. Start using Shield Surge as soon as you unlock it at level 24.

For gear, you want insight instead of tech and resonators with more support power than assault. Maybe some focus regen items too. Other than that, the stats effective for questing are good for healing too (moxie, brutality)

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Commissar Budgie posted:

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or if it's the best kept secret of Wildstar, but I found out last night that if you hit the wrench and open your bag options, you can set it to auto-sort by alphabetical, category of item, or quality of item.

Last I tried using that, it was a permanent sorting that made every item in my bags unmovable manually for some reason. I had to turn it off because it made swapping into my second set of gear a pain in the rear end.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
So have any other goons tried to quest with a friend in this game? We just entered Hycrest and the utter shitload of quests you are bombarded with there coupled with a bare minimum of support from the default UI has resulted in an unpleasant experience to say the least. Shared quests completions seem entirely arbitrary--either you're competing with each other for quest or challenge objectives or you aren't, there is no consistency. Most quests are unsharable and you can't see what ones your groupmates are currently on let alone the progress they've made with any. Are there any addons that make this less of a chore?

folgore fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 18, 2014

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I just want an addon that lists the rewards for a challenge before I spend the time to complete one. Dye kits/decors or bust!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

straw man posted:

Stalker is a great class that will make a lovely alt. But, in the long run, and Granok eyebrow clipping issues aside, the Sawbones is kind of the best class in this game, thematically.

The problem is that resonators look criminally stupid. They really should come with a backpack if they're going to hover over my character's back like a pair of luggage handles.

• Locked thread