Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I voted for the reanimated corpse of the first President of the Republic of Texas and it looks like he lost too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Badger of Basra posted:

He was write-in, apparently. I knew I didn't recognize him from the ballot.

In Harris County they had a list of approved write in candidates, but I couldn't immediately figure out how to vote of the screen for them so I continued with my 14 pages of ballot.

My voting location in Spring Branch was for 2 precincts, one predominately white and one that encompassed a few apartment buildings. It was located in the middle of the white neighborhood and about 3 miles from the apartments. It was real easy for me to vote, but hell for anyone that was likely to vote D based on demographics alone.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Trabisnikof posted:

While Houston might be sad about the decline in oil prices, they aren't as sad as Midland/Odessa or OKC.

There are (still) signs on I-10 West after the beltway that say "Hate traffic, turn right 460 miles" for Continental Resources in OKC, trying to bank on a better commute. The thing to remember these are billboards headed towards the Energy Corridor for counter traffic commuting, not withstanding the fact that the large independent is not likely hiring anymore. I am actually waiting for our company to announce layoffs because I am in new ventures and this is going to be one of the first groups to get cut. At least we are likely to be on higher priority to move to other groups than low performers that are there now. That and I haven't wasted my salary in the past five years and can survive a downturn compared to the to those that spent for a few years of backpacking or hiking in South America.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
They are adding a bar and something like 16 taps to the HEB by my house.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
It's cool because the pro-HERO people mismanaged their campaign worse than Wendy Davis. The first I even heard of anything outside of LGBT protections was after the vote when one of the supporters lamented that because it failed, he (an African-American) could do l still be denied entry into the bars on Washington. I knew it covered a lot more than that, but everything was focused on that one part that got the highly religious conservatives to fight it as opposed to also allowing local protections against discrimination to other groups.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Jesus Christ, Turner wins with 51%, that's insane.

He beat the Mattress Mack contingent.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

I would have no problem with voting for Donald Trump if he included deporting all of Austin his platform.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Harris county, Texas 29th. It was weird to me because I hadn't gotten a bilingual ballot in 2012.

It could have to do with this guy being the County Clerk. He has seen things.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
I'm Houston, my primary location was different than the general, but the Republican Precinct that was voting there also had its Democrats moved to a different location. All I can think is that if the Party is footing the bill, they combine as many precincts as possible based on estimated turnout, which is causing a huge mess and confusion.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Reik posted:

I'm putting my money on animal activist given the Tiger was declawed, and it appeared the "thief" made no attempt to tranquilize the animal.

In all fairness, it could be these guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No1zAkGE5HE

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:argh:

Considered writing real life and probably should have.

Also, fairly sure it predates Shadowrun and is basically the inverse of cyberspace.

I thought Meatspace was referring to a hip new BBQ place in Austin.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
Beto needs to stop being polite and start being real.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Stan Stanart and Ed Emmett are the only 2 Harris County Republicans I considered voting for. I didn't vote for them, but they did do competent jobs for the county and weren't giant asshats. It is telling though that Stanart is trying all he can to get split ticket votes for himself that he is in trouble.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Sab0921 posted:

Just jumping in from a few pages ago to say that Popeye's largest franchisee (and owner of most in Texas) is a Pakistani immigrant family from Sugarland.

Go go Popeyes.

You had me until Sugarland.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
Come on inner loopers, can you at least credit the Spring Branch portion of that district to being purple?

Though you can poo poo on that guy down the street flying the Confederate States flag.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
I had a candidate knock on my door this morning. The last one lost by 44 votes and also knocked on a Sunday, but at least the Texans aren't ever going to play a game in February.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
Edit: oops I confused Sema for Sima, who has send me a redwood amount of mailers in the past 2 weeks.

Oil! fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 22, 2020

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
The Houston area can handle only about 500 tests a day.

It was nice posting with you all.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
If you read the orders, every job can be deemed essential purely because they exist to make society function.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1250154760289869824

Also special thanks to the Saudis and Russians for starting an oil price war they couldn't just turn off and restore prices due to a complete demand collapse for fuel products.

I've been listening in all day and the last time the Railroad Commission had production limits was 1973. A couple of the really old producers that are still around said the way it was managed was the commission meeting monthly, determining how much production was prudent, and then manually looking at individual fields/leases. This time, people are proposing a flat 20-25% cut across all producers and it seems like most small operators are for it (they have been locked out of pipelines recently and have 50%+ cuts because of that) and the large ones want to hit the gas, drive into the wall and buy up all the bankruptcies.

This was my favorite comment, he was supposed to be on the line 15 minutes ago, but wasn't in the meeting. I really hope he shows up and explains why we need a submarine.

https://rrc.texas.gov/media/57190/cmts-recvd-apr14-conf-collier.pdf

Edit: He just got on, but wasn't nearly as crazy as the comment made him sound.

Edit2: Never mind, he just went full Q out of nowhere taking some phrase, googling it, and finding a conspiracy relating to 1949.

Oil! fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 15, 2020

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
The May contract expires tomorrow and June is holding above $22 (for now) so I think it's just a massive bloodbath for the ETFs that can't take delivery and thought that playing in commodities to make money was a great idea.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

LanceHunter posted:

But we can still expect a bunch of nearly-new F-350s to be going cheap on Gonzales County Craigslist, right?

Yes. The price just got below $5 and 1973 prices. The differential between the Permian Basin and Cushing is about $3 so no one is making money if they are getting these prices.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

saintonan posted:

We have too much oil, but every producer wants every other producer to cut production, not them. If the RRC forces everyone to cut by X% then they have to and oil production will go down, otherwise production will go down naturally as oil exploration companies go bankrupt. So if you're in a relatively strong position compared to the other shitters out there, you absolutely do not want RRC forcing cuts on everyone.

Guess who has relatively strong positions, long term contracts or refineries to take their oil, and low debt loads to buy distressed smaller companies.

The next RRC meeting is May 5th, so there are going to be some fireworks from Sitton being pissed off at them abdicating why regulations were there in the first place and Christian and Craddick going "aww shucks, if they die, they die."

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Sab0921 posted:

Its a shitkicker. Country boy.

In this context they're talking about cos play country kids from Texas suburbs in the early 2000s

It's like 80% of the people at the Rodeo cookoff. The other 20% are people that don't cosplay and are actual cowboys.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
Having returned to the office for work, I have now given in to all of us getting Covid-19 by the end of summer. Masks are only encouraged if you "can't socially distance," which means be 6 feet apart. Practically no one wears masks in the hallways or any other place where you would definitely expect to pass someone within 3 feet. They removed the chairs from the break rooms so people have decided to bring in extra chairs to eat in conference rooms.

I guess this is expected in the oil industry where practically everyone lives in a suburb surrounded by a bunch of open 'er up types.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

These maps use no data and are made to piss people off.

Where the gently caress is Williamstown anyways.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Fireant posted:

The curve is starting to go vertical. We're goin exponential folks!

Edit: Man I'm bad with forum code, how do you post an image from imgur on the post itself?
Thank you! \/\/\/

At my work, the only people wearing masks are the Reservoir Engineers because we have to deal with risking project and math with exponentials. HR took our interns out for lunch today and I really hope that A/C doesn't move enough virus around for infection.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
I just got emergency alerts in English and Spanish pushed through my phone for Harris County. I didn't think they would do that, but I am happy.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

ReindeerF posted:

A lot of this has changed in the last 3-4 decades, as well. We used to play in oil fields and ride or walk along train tracks and the private companies for a lot of reasonable reasons have restricted this with signs posted no trespassing, so you do have to be mindful. Pipeline crews are pretty ad hoc and don't care as much, but don't gently caress with the railroads, heh. I went walking down a railroad track around my hometown that I used to walk down as a kid and ended up in a friendly conversation with a sheriff's deputy who had been called by a train engineer who called after he spotted me when I backed about 10 feet off the track to let the train pass. Sheriffs are elected and my address is local, so he was very cool, but basically told me, look, I'm not gonna do poo poo, but if they send out the BNSF police they will cite you or haul you in, so probably don't do this. I looked it up and if you google BNSF police, sure enough, God bless our railway-built state, they have actual legal authority through a patchwork of agreements.

This reminds me of the insanity of railroad minerals. When the government was trying to encourage railroad companies to build their lines across the country, they granted the companies a checkerboard of every other square mile for 5 or 10 miles along the railroad tracks. This was right in the early days of the oil industry, so no one thought much able the acreage, but those railway companies became massive oil companies. Burlington Northern created Burlington Resources (bought by ConocoPhillips), Union Pacific formed Union Pacific Resources (bought by Anadarko and now owned by Oxy), and Chevron owns a ton of railroad minerals out in west Texas. The government gave these companies tens of billions of dollars in land thinking it was at best bad farmland or for grazing cattle.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
Good to know all bars can now be restaurants and that COVID knows a difference between a 51% establishment and one that isn't. Granted, I am posting this from a brewery that opened because of this rule.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-26-20-tabc-loosens-covid-bar-requirements/

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

I have never seen Dwayne Bohac, but I have seen every single person running against him the past several years.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

VitalSigns posted:

According to her account there were only two people there, and he obviously wasn't the one who leaked it so it had to be her.

And there is no way that either of these people talked to anyone else. Warren telling someone that "Bernie thinks it could be difficult for a woman to beat Trump" is only like 1 stage of telephone from becoming "Bernie doesn't think a woman should be president." If it were such a major issue for Warren, why would she leak it so late in primary season and not try to tank Bernie at the beginning?

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

wolfs posted:

no I put checked disabled on a form or something back in April and this is now the second time Ive voted by mail this year

Texas defines disability broadly; it wasnt this article but I read something like that somewhere

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/08/21/vote-by-mail-texas/

I was going to vote absentee, but I have no faith that they will count my vote so I am going to early vote at the most inconvenient time for everyone else and hope very few people are there.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

hosed up they ignore the great rocks the Silurian era provided us.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

radical meme posted:

I don't even understand the reasoning behind phone banking anymore. You're trying to convince people that are too stupid to ignore an unsolicited phone call to vote for your guy. Who the hell even answers an unsolicited phone call in the year 2020.

People will vote against your candidate if they get enough unsolicited calls.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Bioshuffle posted:

All I have to do is bring in the mail in ballot to surrender it, right? Is there anything else to that process I should know? Will I get any poo poo for having checked the disabled box?

"I got better" should be a perfectly valid excuse and they can't really question it. I was thinking of just saying I was going to be absent and drop the ballot off in a post office out of county, but don't trust USPS right now.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

George H.W. oval office posted:

I cant' imagine Hidalgo opening the county up

It doesn't matter any place that had a kitchen or can get a food truck outside is now a restaurant and they are figuring it out how to make the numbers work on the back end.

I'm still going to Brash Brewing though because I can be outside 15' from anyone.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
Lots of weird people that wouldn't vote for a Republican Biden but are ok voting for a Republican Hager.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there any benefit to voting on the first day? Some of my friends were posting on social media about having waited 5 hours or so. When I did early voting, I used to wait a few days at the minimum before going in.

I sent in my mail in ballots this year, due to the pandemic. I wish they'd make this option available for everyone. I can't say enough how amazing it is to be able to google each candidate before making my pick. I know I can always do that beforehand and bring in a list, but there's something nice about being able to do it from home. I do wish they'd include a I voted sticker with the ballots, but I understand why they wouldn't prioritize that.

The earlier your name gets on the "has voted" list, the quicker you get taken off all the phone calls and texts to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

zoux posted:

I'd actually be fine if we investigated every ex-president and their admin after every presidency for malfeasance as a matter of course, but it would take a level of political independence on the part of the investigation that I don't think is possible.

I remember hearing about how several DC lae firms were hurting better the Obama administration wasn't corrupt enough. They are doing extremely well under Trump.