Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

loquacius posted:

The other one was Jewish but a Christianity weeaboo for Broadway reasons (she was apparently so into both Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar that she actually took serious offense to Jesus jokes). Basically being from the Northeast where actual Jewish people live (notably including myself) I really don't understand how red-staters can think of Jews as this mysterious reclusive race of supervillains.

The Japanese are actually pretty weeabo for some Christian imagery, wedding design especially, so it all comes full circle. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Germany just arrested an American spy that had infiltrated one of our intelligence agencies.

One politician compared this turn of event to ~Jonathan Pollard~. :negative:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

That was basically my reaction as well. Not to the "America spies on Germany" part but to the "Germany actually manages to arrest a mole".

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Why did people settle there in the time before A/Cs if it's so unbearable? They can't have oil and gold everywhere, can they?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Joementum posted:

'twas ever thus

The Randler survival kit contains cigarrettes and high quality toilet paper. I'm pretty sure that will be more useful in the event of a massive breakdown of society and currency.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cheekio posted:

It's ok, I just reported a bunch of capitalization/spelling errors.

What a coincidence! I report people for getting mad about those! :v:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Wasn't there a debate championship where the team won that basically broke with all traditions of debate and called the whole format stupid? Because if you can win at debate by calling debate stupid that kinda makes a good point on formal debates being, in fact, stupid.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cheekio posted:

A friend of mine said his debate team got creamed because the team that went on to win the competition made a compelling case against the axiom of an absolute truth, invalidating their opponents' claims.

How can you not get off on that sort of thing?

As much as it pains me to say that but I completely agree with R. Mute's counterargument on this matter.

(PS: Letting college students debate anything is even dumber than debates)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I hope people never start actually reading the stuff that gets linked here because I don't want Discendo Vox to starve. :ohdear:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

razorrozar posted:

I just don't see the benefit of putting cheese and tomato sauce on a fruit.

:smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo:

Tomatos are fruits as well.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The real Italian food tragedy is that hardly any restaurant seems to carry calamari in tomato sauce. :negative: (Also people making pizzas with thick crusts and dough layers because they look larger and are cheaper to produce.)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Sushi on pizza sounds like something that would work okay as a concept, though. I mean it's fish meat, so it shouldn't be that different from tuna on a pizza.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Re: Old people music those youngsters don't know nothing about: Hypbrid Theory was released in 2000. There are adults who can vote, drive and drink who will not have listened to the corresponding genre during their teenagerhood.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Another source for nostalgic music is, of course, television. For example, take this famous American series opening. :v:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cercadelmar posted:

Nerds who base their identity exclusively on what they buy are terrible. Ponies and guns aren't all that different really.

It's hard out there for a conservative brony.

(Only once in my lifetime I want "Pony" + "[stupid poo poo]" to not turn up a multiple digit amount of google results. :smith:)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

zoux posted:

Yo what's up with the IP thread title?

Quote from an NYT article regarding Palestinian children dying in an Israeli attack. Though to be fair, the quote goes further with the speaker speculating that the IDF might have assumed those running away were militants. He then says that he finds that assumption unlikely, because he assumes that the IDF's recon and surveillance equipment would be sophisticated enough to show that those were likely children.

Article

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Discendo Vox posted:

All y'all are just a bunch of alcoholics. :colbert:

I wish you all the best in your preparations to become a professional alcoholic by the way. :)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Brawnfire posted:

Does anyone else here ever have people constantly telling them to tone down their facebook statuses because of "professional contacts"?

It seems so pathetic to cowardly post milquetoast bullshit just because someone might deign to give you money at some juncture. It feels like the most American thing.

I'm actually surprised there are so many political posts of facebook, considering travel guides and similiar sources pushed the idea that politics is something Americans usually do not discuss with people outside their family or very close friends.

And if people do not have separate social networking accounts for private and professional lives, it's their own drat fault. :colbert:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

R. Mute posted:

i dislike ad hom more than milquetoast, tbh

Ad hominems get an undeserved bad rep, because people have problems distinguishing between the factual and logical aspects of a statement being correct. When somebody says "Stuff that cures diseases is good." and "Homeopathy cures diseases" therefore "Homeopathy is good." the response of "You're a known liar with a vested financial interest in selling homeopathy." is a fallacy regarding the logic of that argument but might be a valid interjection to scrutinize the axiomatic statement of "Homeopathy curses diseases."

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

zoux posted:

What the gently caress is cheerleading?

Yeah. You show those wordmongers what's what, zoux! Go for it!

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

zoux posted:

I legit don't know what it means in the rules context.

I was trying to give an example of cheerleading. :ssh:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
That's even more sad then being the only guy in a room of ~20 college graduates who is able to do longform divisions.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Alhazred posted:

Carthage will rise again.

Constantine is a stealth Christian who wants to destroy the Roman way of Life. He wasn't even born in Rome. :byodood:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Millenals are just people young enough to not have an inherent cultural taboo against knowing how computers work and how to operate them.

The term millenials encompasses both people who used the original napster and people who have never seen the physical object which is used as a picture for "Save this data" buttons. So it isn't even precise enough to describe a distinct group of people within the confines of "digital natives".

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

I giggled at homocide. I'm literally 12. Spellcheck your poo poo when you try to make a point!

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
A most cursory google search finds multiple older news items stating that Pelosi is a well-known aficinado of dark chocolate, so the racial implications of that tweet are probably without merit.

Edit: Forgot to give a link.

Randler fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 5, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
If you want to kill all lawyers you are technically threatening the First Lady of the United States of America. Please don't make the secret service come down on these forums again. :smith:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

The Warszawa posted:

The true horror of the bar is in how arbitrary it is - it's not that they test everything, it's that they don't test everything. Didn't study the fine details of worker's compensation law? gently caress you, that's one of your essays.

It's also a test administered to a cohort inclined to complain loudly and binge drink, which means it is an excuse to complain loudly and binge drink.

What's the average pass/fail rate for US bar exams? It feels like US lawgoons bitch even more about the bar than my German peers do about our first and second state exam combined.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

The Warszawa posted:

Depends on the state, but New York (one of the more popular destinations) has an overall combined pass rate of 64%, but if you limit it to people who attended accredited law schools in the U.S. taking it for the first time (your prime bitching demographic) it's 85%.

The volume of bitching has more to do with the population than the actual test, though it doesn't help that the test has very little to do with anything you study in law school in the U.S.

85 percent sounds pretty lenient. Does a noticeable amount of people fail out of law school before the bar exam or are bar exam rates basically the rates for the whole legal education sector?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

StandardVC10 posted:

Most D&D posters have some sort of secret button that turns them into complete insufferable zealots and/or pedants when a certain topic is broached.

Bors! :argh:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

zoux posted:

Nice transparency. Not.

Depending on your political leanings, it's either a commentary on the Obama administration's transparency or the Republicans' ability to make functional stuff.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Discendo Vox posted:

The good news is I can give unfettered bioethics advice because for some godawful reasons the profession of bioethics is an unregulated clusterfuck! :)

Is the state justified in punishing people for and/or using its resource to keep people from

(a) commiting suicide by swallowing a cyanide pill

(b) helping somebody (who wishes to die) to die by inaction (e.g. not feeding)

(c) helping somebody (who wishes to die) to die by action (e.g. switching off their life support)?

Is there a meaningful distinction between (a) and (b-c)? Is there one between (b) and (c)?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Badger of Basra posted:

I bet Discendo Vox is one of those gays who has "MASC ONLY" on his Grindr profile.

Are you really trying to attack a perceived "Those gays are shameful gays!" position by calling its alleged supporter "a shameful gay!" yourself?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Discendo Vox posted:

There are a bunch of reasons why scenario A is usually considered ethical for prohibition, primarily being that it appears to be inescapably subject to individual and cultural levels of abuse and bias in application, however well-regulated it's supposed to be.

Shouldn't an individual's decision to live or die be considered the ultimate expression of self-determination and therefore the argument of "inescapable (...) individual abuse" be considered a huge infringement on said individual's agency, though? (Even considering, for the sake of the argument, that a lot but not all suicide attempts are made in a state of mind not considered to be healthy, can there be a justification for the state deciding wheter one can have his own live at his disposal when usually the state is restrained to decide about who lives or who dies in extremely rare circumstances, e.g. criminal punishment, self-defense, war?)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

My Imaginary GF posted:

I got an easy ethics rule of thumb for ya: If I get caught doing this, will I get in trouble? If yes, take the consideration to do your unethical actions in a polite manner.

Are you suggesting that an action's causality for unwelcome consequences is a reliable indicator for said action being unethical? :kheldragar:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

zoux posted:

Oh gently caress someone started a circumcision thread.

Lowtax will eat well tonight. *charges credit card*

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
With the circumcision thread being alive, I really hope we will soon see the long-promised "Stand Your Ground" thread and then net serpent may swallow us all. :unsmith:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Platinum is the only racket where you have to pay to narc instead of getting paid for it.

Thanks Obama. :911:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

ufarn posted:

Mods please hand these plebes an ASBO.

Those are still a thing? Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Individual examples are actually a really bad way to explain thing when it comes to legal concepts, because examples often lack necessary context.

On the other hand, use of selective examples makes Eurocommie Germany look like the wet dream of every Republican strawman.

• Locked thread