Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Last Chance posted:

apple doesn't force updates. it annoys you with a notification, but it doesnt just start doing them without your permission
you can also turn it all off in the settings. it's really good for if you don't want to be pushed an update that breaks some ancient software on your machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Last Chance posted:

im sure it will be fixed when windows 10 is out of beta
beta tested in the future

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
they're just going to start using kde

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
my favorite part of the article is this

quote:

Update: Some more information about NEON reveals that it serves as a bridge between holographic and augmented reality (AR) and the desktop environment. It's a "UI that transports across devices" with a UX that maps to the physical world. It uses textures, 3D models, lighting and more.

can't wait for the windows ui to incorporate some random floating context menus & floating cubes and spheres

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

triple sulk posted:

imagine that with vr goggles :popeye:
yeah the computer can finally make me so motion sick that i won't want to use it anymore

and i'll finally be free

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i was in the habit of shutting down my computer because printer & graphics tablet drivers would randomly cease to work in windows if i didn't, and i'd have to restart anyway

took about 2-3 years of using a mac before i broke out of the habit

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

minivanmegafun posted:

how about that cool old mac game
i had the version that worked on dos and windows 3.1 and it also owned

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

carry on then posted:

windows still turns every wallpaper image into a super compressed jpeg and it's the most annoying little thing
:agreed:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the real way to fix it is to buy a high-dpi screen and then you don't even notice the jpeg compression

i tried the registry hack trick, but it doesn't seem to work in win 10 for me

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
is there a web version for skype or business yet like regular skype?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Endless Mike posted:

personally, i am the 21" 1080p screen on a $9000 computer
acer posting their new years resolution

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

FCKGW posted:

I don't mind if my appliances have an OS, they just don't need a loving internet connection
naw it shouldn't need an os at all

gently caress this garbage forever

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
thought it looked like an improvement until I noticed the massive empty titlebar

please do this to all apps moving forward tia

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Fame Douglas posted:

Edge is the worst browser. Feels really slow, lacks useful extensions. User interface is a total poo poo-show.
if i resize the window a bunch really rapidly by grabbing a corner and spinning my mouse in circles it crashes because it takes the time to draw all the screenwipe transitions to fill the window size

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

carry on then posted:

I have a lenovo laptop and lenovo dock, but an asus display. My employer selected them and i had no choice in the matter. my acer display which is also a part of this configuration works fine.
it's definitely the asus display. my asus display did some hosed things under windows that it did not otherwise do under osx & opensuse with gnome

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Ludwig van Halen posted:

windows 10 has started showing me ads in explorer...
i can't wait for "playable ads"!

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

anthonypants posted:

just updated windows and now windows update says, "Good news! The Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way. Want to be one of the first to get it?" and a link that says "Yes, show me how" which goes to a page that says thanks for your interest lol

almost as good as a bing search for "windows 10 creators update" would've been
clicking the help button in file explorer still brings up a bing search of how to get help in explorer

someone at microsoft saw "let me google that for you" and decided to just turn the whole os into that

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Wheany posted:

what about the transparency of the 3d models it has for some reason now
it's smart, because they saw the vaporwave image trend & decided to release software to easily make your own

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

dont be mean to me posted:

Seriously, though, Krita's a thing.
krita is really good for drawing in. if inkscape weren't so horrible i'd actually say linux is a viable art creation platform now

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Shaggar posted:

I use mspaint for screenshots and that's about it.
lol are you still printscreening & pasting poo poo into paint?

if you hit win key + printscreen it literally just saves a png into a pictures\screenshots folder

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
is totally worth it if you're a professional that uses it near-daily though

also, affinity photo is a thing on windows now i guess. never used it, though i really like affinity designer

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

infernal machines posted:

onedrive integration is private by default, you have to manually share things publicly and it doesn't allow google indexing
search google for site:docs.com + a thing and get back to me

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
lol if you don't immediately set your windows clock to sync with nist

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

anthonypants posted:

i'll probably get a scorpio, but did they finalize the name of the console yet
XBox Live

except pronounced as a verb & not an adjective and not to be confused with the service "Xbox Live"

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
it displayed the start menu, just not all of the programs

i know this because i installed every single game i owned to see what would happen when i heard about it (and it was pretty easy to hit the limit since a lot of old games poo poo out a bunch of website shortcuts & uninstaller shortcuts)

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the more hilarious part about it was that the programs beyond the limit wouldn't get indexed in search

like, at all. anywhere.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
doom works with both opengl & vulkan just fine in wine, so really the lack of a port there is more so just :effort:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
ios continued to work great on my first gen ipad mini as long as i turned the transparency effects off

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
holy gently caress i love janitoring my reminders

siri remind me to do that later

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
people are going to buy this thinking they can just install their regular poo poo & immediately return it when they realize it's locked to the store

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my only win10 mail client complaint thus far is lack of ctrl+c/+v functionality
whenever i'm forced to use windows i still use thunderbird like it's loving 2007

also lol no usb-c or thunderbolt on a brand new $2000 laptop by microsoft

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i deal with pdf attachments all day and sometimes windows 10 mail just won't show them. gently caress if i know why because they show up just fine in thunderbird or mail.app on my mac

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Shaggar posted:

I don't think ive ever opened them inside the mail app. it always opens them w/ whatever associated program.
well it's more-so this weird issue where the attachment doesn't even show up. like there's not even a paperclip icon like there should be

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

cthulhoo posted:

~hardened~
wow windows 10 home is the absolute trash tier

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

gently caress yes this, I like animation in UX' but it's like the last thing that's a problem in UWP apps
i'm starting to miss having a menu bar instead of tasks I want to perform being maybe on the left or maybe on the top or maybe even sometimes popping up on the bottom for some loving reason

but that's what i get for using windows 10 with a mouse instead of in our touch based future or whatever

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
basically the global menu bar in macos rules but unfortunately i have to deal with win 10 at work

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i can't wait to try downloading it 3 times because the windows store is a piece of poo poo

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
sounds like your search is hosed up

on this note, i have creators update on my machine at work & it forgot the priority for poo poo so if i search for "calc" and hit enter it opens up a bing search for calc again

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lmao i installed windows 10 and now i have adobe flash again for the first time in 3-4 years

and I cant get rid of it
no worries it's attached to edge so if you never open edge you'll be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

anthonypants posted:

rebuilding the index did nothing
running the troubleshooter said it fixed permissions settings, but it did nothing
rebuilding the index after the above did nothing
clicked all the checkboxes and now it's indexing everything and it's not finished yet but so far it's done nothing
there's some snack overflow posts about how reinstalling cortana and deleting registry keys might fix it and i'm looking forward to trying those
i'm glad i mostly use windows 10 at work because i can just shove it onto someone else and they can deal with it

• Locked thread