Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

What was the deal with the armpit webs Spidey had in his original costume? Were they functional in anyway?

Nope. Spider-Woman did use her underarm webs to glide, but I can't recall Spidey ever using his for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Chinaman7000 posted:

I would love to hear on designs people know are terrible but are still nostalgic about. I've liked a lot of Wonder Man's terrible outfits and Kyle Rayner's crab mask.

I admit I am nostalgic for Wonder Man's red safari jacket and sunglasses outfit. And speaking of safari, how about Kraven the Hunter's lionface vest with the massive furry shoulders? (I could have done without the leopard-print tights and slippers though.)

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah? Project Rooftop suffers from major over-design issues.

Is it any worse than most of George Perez's costumes?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Hulk's pants are traditionally purple, not blue.

And there are plenty of green-costumed heroes to choose from, including Green Arrow and Green Lantern.

As for orange, well ... Chameleon Boy of the Legion? The Legion's classic costumes do display a broader color palette, probably since there were so many of them they needed to use as many colors as possible to make them visually distinctive. See also Brainiac 5 (green skin, purple coveralls), Timber Wolf (orange and black), Element Lad and Shrinking Violet (green costumes, and E-Lad later changed to purple). Wolverine eventually ditched his original yellow-and-blue costume for an orange-and-brown number too.

I don't think it's a trend set by Superman. It's more to do with the limited selection of colors that colorists had to work with back in the day. And I don't see it continuing today. If anything, red coupled with black is practically a cliche for villains now (Carnage, the Hood, the Red Hood...)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Hmm, I just noticed that she's wearing a buttcape... it's descending from the hips instead of the shoulders, presumably to make sure that sweet backpiece gets exposure.

Good god I'd trying to logic out superhero costuming. :suicide:

Is that a back cutout to display a big spider tattoo? Interesting, but it'd make keeping the ol' secret identity tough.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Isn't that just Psylocke with a cape and hood? I don't know which design came first, so it might be the other way around, but I always hated Psylocke's costume.

That's very close to Raven's original 1980 look, except in her original look a) she wore shoes, not thigh-high boots and b) the skirt bit wasn't so skimpy in front or cut so high over her hips. So I'd say it predates Psylocke by quite a bit.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Travel Foreman designs for Justice League United. Love his take on Metamorpho.

What the hell is up with Hawkgirl's legs?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I really like the Power Girl one, except the I/O symbol. If only because it seems like it belongs on a hero based around technology (or if you're reaching, electricity). It just seems like if you gave her that costume in comics, then sooner or later you're gonna have some hi-larious writer (or a bunch) writing jokes where criminals ask what the symbol's for and she explains it's because she's powerful, duh.

I kinda hate that too. PeeGee has never had a logo of her own, and attempts to give her one have always failed, like the boob-circling P from her Worlds' Finest costume, or back when she was using the Atlantean origin and had Arion's magic sigil as her belt buckle.

Don't much like the mesh top. It seems like an awkward attempt to strike a compromise between her older "LOOKIT! BOOBS!" costumes and an actual top. The alternate is a bit better.

And a jacket with a spandex bodysuit? It's no longer the 1990s, thanks.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Travis343 posted:

That's why I love Quietly's All Star Superman look, he's built but not super lean and bodybuilder toned. As Clark he can slouch and he actually looks chubby making it even less likely that anybody is going to make the connection.

Fits the original circus strongman style for Superman too, since most of the classic circus strongmen didn't have amazing muscle definition, they were just massive slabs of men.

Look at how Wayne Boring and Curt Swan drew Supes back in the day as well: there were some suggestions of biceps and abs, but he was much more on the "beefy" side of things than ripped and cut. (Admittedly, Swan did switch to a more muscleman-looking Superman in the 70s and 80s).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Roided up dick indeed.

Superman without a cape just looks wrong. I mean, what else are you supposed to not tug on?

(Yes, I realize what a massive straight line that is. Have some pride, goons.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Drawing him with bulging veins makes him look really aggressive and rage-y. I don't know if that was the intent, but its the sort of thing you see on people like Bane, not just generally buff heroes.

Unfortunately, too many writers are stuck on the happy, always-smiling, cornball Superman of the Silver Age. They think the way to make him accessible to a modern audience is to go the other way and make him grim and brooding and EDGY. Because, you know, bloody fists are what I totally want to see when I open a Superman comic.

anyway. I don't hate WW's new costume as much as some folks on this thread, although I agree the wrist blades are doofy and I kind of wish the metallic bits were silver, not gold.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Flash's costume looks superficially the same, except two red tones and a bunch of extra lightning bolts stuck on. A shining example of complication for the sake of complication.

I don't mind the chest logo changing to look closer to the TV series one, though.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

So, basically what you'd get if Robocop had a baby with Arthur from The Tick.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

McSpanky posted:

I really want to see Country Club Superman now.

Must have an ascot with a S-logo stickpin.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

COOL COSTUME CHAT YA ALL

Check out this sexy Star-Lord by Dustin Weaver

The only hero I've ever seen who's been able to make jodhpurs work for him is Doc Savage. I kind of hate the coat lapels too -- maybe if it was buttoned up more.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not sure what I hate more on that costume, the Cone of Shame or the sewed-on six-pack abs.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Anora posted:

He looks inflated, like he put a tire pump in his costume and just went to town.

Inorite? I generally prefer my Batmen light and agile rather than the bulky body armor style favored in movies and the Arkham games. But it's still possible to do body armor and have it look cool. This guy just looks puffy. Michelin Man-ish.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Equinox is really good but the other two are way too visually busy. The hell is it with New 52 costumes and being way too overdesigned?

I want to like Stargirl, but it's just too. many. stars. Most of the Starman costume designs (Ted Knight, Will Payton, Prince Gavyn) just have one big star on the chest.

The half-star on the end of the staff is an interesting idea but it doesn't quite work for me.

As for Animal Man, what are those bladey things on his shoulders supposed to be?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Chaos Hippy posted:

Hasn't Animal Man had an orange costume for most of his history?

Orange and blue.

I think part of the problem is the little black flecks all over AM's top, which kinda suggest the scales on Aquaman's traditional goldfish shirt. The stubble also puts me in mind of Aquaman's beardy barbarian phase.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, the realistic-looking Captain Carrot in the background is just creepy.

Is the guy in the sparkly blue ball Black Lightning or Static?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Those swirly white lines trailing behind him don't really say "super speed" to me either.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Davros1 posted:

There's a Marvel character called Torgo?!?!?

No, that'd be silly. There are two Marvel characters named Torgo.

(Could the Torgo the Robot panel be any more Kirby?)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

That new Spider-Man design is like the laziest thing possible which makes it that much worse.

"Yeah I added mood lighting and made his boots a little taller. Pay me, bitches."

The thing is, the classic blue and red doesn't have much room for improvement. Either you have to throw it out and start from scratch, as with the black costume, or you do tiny changes for the sake of change, like tinkering with the shape of the eyes or the logo or whatever.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Oh my lord, is he turning into Man-Spider again? None of that looks right.

Forget it, Jake. It's Ramos-town.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Dejah's "totally not Wonder Woman" look isn't great, but it's a good improvement. Red Sonia's chainmail bustier seems a bit silly, but points for trying something new.

Vampirella looks like a Claire Redfield knock-off but I like it a ton. I don't really know why. Does that suit her character well? I don't know poo poo about Vampirella.

She's pretty much your standard comic book vampire: superstrength, superspeed, hypnotic gaze, supernatural toughness, etc. No shapechanging abilities, but she can grow wings and fly.

Unless she's been massively revised, the new costume doesn't really work for me for that reason. What does a vampire need with a hand crossbow, knives, and whatever's in those belt pouches? She looks more like a Buffy knockoff.

And yeah, Sonja's chainmail crop top is a moderate improvement over the chainmail bikini, but it still seems rather impractical.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

So Artemidorus was actually the Riddler?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah. Why do they keep trying to put Superman in armor or pads?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The forearm pouches are totally a great idea for a guy who fights by hitting people with a shield.

I was actually on the fence about this until I saw the two-piece shield. That's just awful.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ferrule posted:

Negative.

In the early 90's he got all those elemental powers and looked rad as hell.

(Ostrander run)

Being drawn by Tom Mandrake helps a lot, but I can't say that I like the wedgehead look that much. Especially combined with the flames around his neck and shoulders, which remind me of nothing so much as the Creeper's ruff.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Chaos Hippy posted:

I immediately thought of The Ray.

I was thinking, "Hey, that looks kinda Nova-ish."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

I'm sure Dusty was in a comic book at some point so it's germane.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hey, a costume question!

So, what's the thread's opinion on Spider-Man's webbing underarm things? Yay or nay?

I can see both sides on that question.

Pro: Ditko did it! Tradition!
Con: They're dumb and useless (and no, he does NOT use them to glide, shut up) and they detract from the otherwise sleek, formfitting look of his costume.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Red Bones posted:

I like a lot of those designs but I'm kind of wondering what firestorm does as a character? Like I think I read a JLA book with him in it once. Designing a character to fit in with the role and the setting of their story is part of what makes a character design work or not, and with firestorm I'm kind of lost. Is he one of those superheroes that is only popular enough to show up in like, superhero groups? Where does he live?

It also bums me out that none of those designs really call notice to the fact that there's two people working together to control him, which seems to be kind of a unique selling point for the character.

When he was originally created, Firestorm's role was to be "young novice hero" compared to established heroes like Batman, Superman, etc. -- especially since, as pointed out upthread, the active half of him was a teenager so he could be impulsive and overconfident. He's had his own solo books over the years and also been a JLA member.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Ok, I wasn't going to ask the first time, but now I have to - what happened with supergirls costume and how did they manage to make it worse than her miniskirt?

Behold the awesomeness that is ... the crotchplate!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

prefect posted:

B. What's with those boots?

Someone has a kneecap fetish?

Here's a, you should forgive the expression, rear view...

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Looks like they just ported Supergirl's costume straight from the TV show, with a slightly longer skirt. Could definitely do worse.

The Superman costume is a little too dark blue for my taste but I guess they want to stick to the grim Snyder palette.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

What are Wild Dogs?

See feetnotes' post above. Wild Dog was DC's attempt to create their own version of the Punisher back in the late 80s -- he had a miniseries and then was promptly forgotten.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

The mesh sleeve on Deathstroke and the halter top on Ravager make it look that dad who doesn't want to admit he's 45 taking his daughter to the club because he's still hip and totally not because he wants to hit on her friends.

To me the orange Tactical Hexagons (tm) look a little bit like Thing hide.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Or Johnny Storm for that matter.

"Unstable molecules."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think it's too awful myself, although the two-tone red look reminds me rather too much of the Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

I remember in the Lois and Clark TV series some loser gets 50% of Superman's powers by being struck by lightning at the same time as him. Is this canon?

That sounds kinda like Livewire's origin -- she was zapped by lightning that was conducted through Superman.

• Locked thread