Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Kins posted:

Just announced for Steam: A HD-ish update of the 2002 Gamecube remake of Resident Evil 1! Apparently this is considered the definitive version, using pre-rendered backgrounds to kick up the polycount on the characters above the norm for the time.

New features (all optional) include improved artwork, non-tank controls, and a zoomed in scrolling camera to make the 4:3 graphics work in 16:9. It's scheduled for "early next year". I guess RE4 HD did pretty well, huh.

I think I'm the only person who didn't really like the Gamecube remake all that much. Things like Crimson Heads, as iconic as they are, really messed with the flow of the game I think, forcing even more backtracking, more inventory management, and even time management into a game that already had you backtracking all over the place for keys, doors, and item chests. The additional plot doesn't really do much either since it's just as bad as the rest. At the same time I don't really think the original is really all the special in hindsight but the remake just seemed to add more tedium into it.

Give me a PC re-release of RE2 and RE3 and I'll be happier, maybe even Code Veronica since they already redid that for PS3/360.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Does Crysis Wars work at all these days?

Not unless Crytek patches over the Gamespy stuff with some other multiplayer thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sober posted:

Who knows if Crytek will be around long enough to even consider it.

More like they won't ever bother even if they are going to be. The Steam version of Crysis has had a broken version of DX10 since release and they never, ever bothered to fix it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's almost like turning Crysis into straight-forward CoD inspired shooters was a bad idea.

If I could take the way suit powers in Crysis 2 and 3 worked and shove them into Crysis 1 I would be pretty happy. Except speed mode. Speed mode actually felt like a speed mode in Crysis 1.

Edit:

Danith posted:

I see Wasteland 2 got a big patch at the beginning of the month. Is now a good time to purchase and check it out, or does it still have a bunch of unfinished stuff?

It's still just the beta - and I think they said that was the final patch until release? - and the game will apparently come out some time in late August or September. There really isn't a good reason at this point in time to pay $60 for a month of beta. The price will come down with the full release.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 6, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I really wanted to get into Divinity 2, but argh. The game keeps teasing me about awesome dragons and awesome strongholds, but it's been doing this for goddamn hours. Every time I finish an objective to get to the cool stuff, more objectives pop up that I need to complete before I can get to the cool stuff. Just threw my hands into the air when I finally reached dragon island, or whatever it is, and got given yet another laundry list of stuff to complete beforehand.

Fffffuck, stop going on about stuff if you're going to keep it out of the player's reach.

That dragon island is when you finally put together your stronghold and get to do dragon stuff :v:

Though honestly the stronghold and dragon parts aren't that much more interesting than the rest of the game. If the rest of it didn't grab you those things aren't going to suddenly make you love everything about the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but EA is offering Wing Commander III for free via Origin until September 3rd.

I was curious if anyone here is/was using Origin. I've avoided it since it launched, mostly because around the time it launched, I heard some weird rumors about it installing spyware or something.

It isn't and never was any more "spyware" than Steam or uPlay or any other program you ever install on your computer. Just a bunch of nerds getting mad at EA again. It's not a perfect digital storefront and service by any means but its fine.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Didn't this turn out to be the same thing Steam was doing when it surveys your hardware and installed software?

Yes. And basically the same thing hundreds of other programs use for the exact same purpose, advertising. I hope everyone who complained about Origin is using Linux because they would be god drat horrified to learn what kind of data Microsoft and Apple scrape from their computers.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sierra also published the Homeworld series.

Though the past doesn't matter really. This is the equivalent of when Interplay tried to get people to fund a game for them just because they decided to call a new studio "Black Isle."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Gonna c&p from the op of the ck2 thread here:

If you already have the base game, just fire it up and get a hold of the mechanics and see if it's for you. Ireland's a good starting point and there's a tutorial line in the tutorial thread that's about Ireland starts.

There was another expansion regarding India wasn't there?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sonel posted:

So Tex Murphy Tesla effect is on sale for half off. Anyone know if it's worth it?

If you liked the old FMV Tex Murphy games, very much worth it.

If you've never played the old FMV Tex Murphy games then its very much an adventure game straight out of the 90's. Unlike, say, Broken Age from Double Fine, Tesla Effect didn't really update the mechanics at all. It's not quite as bullshit hard since everything isn't pixelated but all the things you know and love-hate are there; items hiding in ridiculous places, random item combination puzzles, dumb puzzle minigames.

But if you ask me it's all worth it for the FMV :allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Alpha Protocol is a game where you can take the same dialogue options and wind up with completely different endings somehow.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Palpek posted:

The new Tex Murphy game - Tesla Effect is one of weeklong deals. Is it worth picking up? It looks pretty sweet if cheesy (in a good way).

Tesla Effect is the definition of video game cheese. That said it is exactly like the old Tex Murphy games, that is to say its a 90's adventure game. Items hidden in really hard to find places, puzzle minigames, out-of-left-field item combinations, it has it all. It has a pretty generous hint system though so its never that hard to progress if you really need to.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Looks like the new Tomb Raider is exclusive to xbox :smith: Unless it sells really poorly, I guess.

Considering how quickly other third party exclusives Dead Rising 3, Ryse, and one? other game I can't remember got announced as no longer exclusive I would be very surprised to see this stay that way for more than a year. Still, hahahaha, Square really just hates money, even assuming Microsoft paid them a fuckton for it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Oh I forgot I have Metro 2033, does that game have any fun collectable story trinkets, my main jam in video games, or is it just a straightforward shooter in a cool atmosphere

I also have RAGE but people seem to hate that game

No story trinkets to really speak of. At most it has hidden away areas off the main path with more supplies or a gun to pick up. There are occasionally noticeable environmental stories to go along with it but no audio diaries or journals or something. Lots of conversations to eavesdrop on in towns though, some out in the world.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Might be worth waiting on the Redux version of Metro 2033. They've done a hell of a lot more than your average 'HD' version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZwVvl71JnM

Looks like a full remake, running on the Last Light engine (which not only looks better, but runs much smoother). They're upgrading the gameplay too, so the combat and stealth should be much tighter too.

I love what they've done with the environments - it looks much more frozen and winter'y in 2033, to contrast more with the meltwater-flooded spring tones of Last Light.

Okay, that's the kind of information I was waiting for. Still not sure it's worth only 50% off for previous owners (especially since Last Light Redux only looks like a GOTY edition with the mostly lackluster DLC I already have) but the Metro 2033 Redux looks like something I wouldn't hesitate at all on for 66% or 75% off. Might even get it for the $12.50 if early reviews say its worth it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Brannock posted:

Care to expand a little on that?

It's one of those stealth games where there's some very specific sequences you have to follow to stay hidden successfully and the only way to discover them is trial and error. The open combat isn't very great so its not even fun to learn the patterns you need to if you're so inclined.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There's just fewer and fewer reasons to even buy a console these days. Thanks Gabe!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised to see the MGS HD Collection on PC at some point but yeah, probably not before MGS5.

Edit: Or depending on how much Konami cares about what people think of CANON a slim possibility of same time/before since MGS5 does build off of Peace Walker somewhat.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Do you happen to have the link for that thing?

http://gib.me/sam/

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cathair posted:

Holy moly, what the hell did they do to the Steam UI in today's update? Are there any actual quality-of-life improvements that I'm missing, or did they just make it visually worse in every way, from the icons to the colors to this terrible new font?

I guess it's time to start looking at skins, which I haven't felt a need to use since back in the days when Steam was grey-green.

Are you talking about beta updates because I don't see any differences?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TheCoon posted:

Kalypso are basically just a publisher of other developers games with ~3 in-house studios. Most of what they put out is garbage, especially Dark. Don't buy Dark. Buy Demonicon if you're super into incest.

The middle market has all but vanished on Steam thanks to the sales but Kalypso is basically a middle market developer. They aren't producing nothing but tiny indie games and they aren't going to sell the next Call of Duty... but they still do have aspirations to the latter. So their games have big goals but almost always fall short. I am not going to call Dark a good game but it... works? It's the kind of game you'd buy in the 90's if you were someone who just needed to have the NEW GAME but also didn't have $60 or more to spend on the latest from EA, or the kind your mom would buy for Christmas but also thought $60+ was too much. You'd be kind of disappointed but at least it looked better than playing your SNES or Genesis again.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 14, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

LP3 owns and aside from some pacing issues feels like a great game with a lot of heart.

On the other hand LP3 runs out of ideas 1/3 of the way through, the combat becomes incredibly repetitive, and takes what actually was an interesting "frontier mining" aesthetic and cast and turns them into yet another freedom fighter group battling the Big Bad.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think I'd even like Tropico 4 but I'd be a fool not to buy it at that price.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

Mountain. It's a buck.

Ed: This is the game that confused Ben Kuchera so bad, he wrote an article about how he didn't see the appeal.

Clearly it must be history's greatest achievement then.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is Montague's Mount any good? Just got a random 80% off coupon. Metacritic isn't great but user reviews are all over the place.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think this is now the second anime game that had their trading card designs rejected by Valve? Or at least the second that has publicly posted about it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Acquire Currency! posted:

God, the part where the bridge was filled with zombies. Biggest nut kick to pacifist runs.

I almost, almost, broke out the Heavy Rifle as I started running low on gas grenades, darts, and candy bars... then I realized the zombies were just hopping around me and not actually hitting me. I have no idea if that was a bug or what.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

lovely indie dev learns the basics of supply and demand, more news at 11.

I don't want to say that post is wrong because a lot of it is probably right but it feels like the exact same kind of right it would be back before Steam and bundles, just in a different way. At one point the poster acknowledges that even back when indie games sold for $20 on things that weren't Steam most developers still did not do well and, at most, made "beer money" but still kept making games because that's what they enjoyed. But not too long afterwards comes the complaint that because of Steam and Humble Bundles now despite selling 40,000 copies they only have enough funds to work full time for two weeks because those 40,000 copies sold for $1-$5, even though they didn't work full time before. Seems to me to be the exact same situation just in reverse. Before indies would sell 2000, 2500 copies through earlier stores or whatever at $20. Now you sell 40,000-50,000 copies at $1-$5.

So, yeah, probably right. Just sounds like the exact same problem in a different way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

Except the article isn't all that true. Indie developers can still make money. Terraria sold like gangbusters, same with Starbound. Minecraft isn't even on the Steam store and the dude is mega rich. Hell you have indie translators whose games sold well enough they could make a career out of it. Hell Kickstarters prove people will shell out 20 dollars for a game.

Good games sell at regular price. lovely games don't, and this guy is all butt hurt about it.

This poster sounds like they're talking about going back much further than even Minecraft. Sounds like they're talking about when Steam was just for Half Life 2 and Rag Doll Kung Fu, if not even earlier.

What I'm saying is that the poster is right in saying that they're making a relatively small amount of a money per customer. But what I'm also saying is that this is still the same basic thing as making a large amount of money per customer but with far fewer customers; which is what the situation was before Steam and the rest of the stores we have now. They have the same problem, a lack of money (just "beer money" before), but now its with the addition of seeing that 50,000 people have their game but 90% of them only paying a $1 for it. What they don't realize is that the 5000 people that paid full price are the same 5000 people that would have paid full price in 2003 (or probably even fewer in 2003 since Steam has so many eyes on it) and the other 45,000 of those sales are ones that would have never happened without those discounts and bundles.

All numbers pulled directly from my rear end, by the way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

A season pass is something you buy that will guarantee you all of the DLC for a game. Think of it like pre-ordering or buying a DLC megapack. There are advantages to it, but if you're not interested in the DLC then don't bother.

It guarantees all the DLC except when it doesn't, at the whim of the publisher. Take a look at Borderlands 2. The Season Pass gets you the 4 large game expansions (Captain Scarlett, Torque, Hammerlock, and Tiny Tina) and the first level cap upgrade. What it doesn't include is either character class add-ons, the mini-expansions released after Tiny Tina, the second level cap upgrade, the "Creature Salughterdome," or any of the customization DLC.

Always make sure you know exactly what the Season Pass is going to get you before you buy it. Bioshock Infinite's Season Pass isn't nearly as confusing as Borderlands 2 but it also doesn't include the "Columbia's Finest" DLC. While that is still just a bunch of small in-game bonuses and not really substantial content its still something listed as DLC that buying the Season Pass will not get you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Delusibeta posted:

And now all of Ubisoft's future games has disappeared from the Steam store here in the UK. Guess they inked a new exclusivity deal with Game or something.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is less "We won't sell our games on Steam" but "Our games won't get a store page on Steam until after the console release so GAME won't get mad at us for letting those filthy PC gamers steal their pre-orders." If GAME is anything like Gamestop and just has maybe a single rotating shelf for PC games (that is nothing but The Sims and Blizzard games) then there's no benefit to Ubisoft to not sell their games on Steam at all.

Though maybe they're going to be like EA and only selling their games on uPlay.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 21, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Deakul posted:

Jesus, Van Helsing 1 has DLC that you can't buy through Steam but still requires money to get.

I was just curious when I went to the DLC menu and saw all of these pre-order things unactivated.

At least it seems you actively have to ask for those things to the point where if you're putting in the effort to use PayPal you clearly want to spend $35 on an in-game perk and skin.

PantsBandit posted:

Wait 135 dollars?

That is the most insane pricing I have ever seen, short of train simulators.

That's for the DLC and 3 copies of the base game, not only DLC. It's still a high price point (since the game itself only costs $15, $45 for 3 copies).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sonance posted:

I made the mistake of purchasing my first game from GameFly on a Friday evening, with the intention of playing it through a rare weekend where I didn't need to work. After about half an hour I received an email to say I needed to contact their support line to verify the purchase. Contacted the support line only to find out it was closed until Monday.

A combination of the way my work shifts worked out that week, plus their support line's remarkably limited hours of operation, meant that there was no suitable window of opportunity for me to call them until about Wednesday or Thursday. They called me a bunch of times and a rather snarky customer service assistant left me a series of messages that I wasn't in a position to return until their support line closed again. I did leave a couple of polite emails pointing out why I wasn't able to return their calls when it was suitable for them and received more snark in return. At this point I decided I couldn't be hosed to play their snarky hoop-jumping game and would rather pay $10 more to get it instantly on Steam. Because their web site had no order cancellation process I replied to an email and requested a cancellation there. Cue: "We'd be happy to discuss your cancellation if you call this number during the (inconvenient) hours below!"

By this point I was annoyed enough to visit their Facebook page, which seemed to be playing host to about a dozen people with exactly the same issue as me, and lodged a complaint there. They cancelled the order and deleted my GameFly account.

So yeah, I'm not likely to be buying anything from them any time soon.

Wow that's dumb. GameFly actually used to have a fairly decent client, much like Steam. I actually thought it was pretty good at least as a storefront and download manager but apparently I was the only one because they changed to some even shittier tiny download manager only. As a bonus it didn't even list all the games I had bought off of them that were displayed in the previous client (luckily they were all games where I got a code for another client). I guess they've gotten rid of that now too.

GameStop got rid of their client as well after spending who knows how much buying it from Stardock. Even more people weren't a fan of that but I thought it was more convenient to open a program on my desktop and immediately be taken to the storefront and a list of the games I've bought there rather than doing in in a web browser.

Neither of these clients were outstanding pieces of programming or anything but at least they worked at a basic level. I can only imagine they got rid of them because they didn't immediately get a Steam-level of user base then just threw up their arms in frustration instead of putting in the work to improve them to get those users.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Deakul posted:

God drat, I just bought Black Flag for $17 and stopped playing after 6 hours straight, I haven't done a marathon like that in years.
What a god damned fun game and it's beautiful to boot.

Sailing is pretty chill and naval combat is simple but works really well.

I haven't actually gotten very far into the game since I think I only got the ship like 4 hours in?

I really hope there's some people at Ubisoft dedicated to putting the naval combat from AC3/4 into its own really fleshed out game. It's some of the most fun I've had in a video game to date. It would definitely need some more aspects to be the core focus for an entire game but everything from the sound to the controls works so incredibly well. The sections with heavy storms in AC3 almost made me forget how bland the rest of that game was.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Greenman Gaming is doing an encore of all of their "Top 50 Games to Play Before You Die" (which is honestly just an arbitrary list of random popular games), plus they added an additional 20% off voucher.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/50-games-1-10/

Z4364W-7MR5WA-N5BCOO

They've also got 30 indie games on sale which is also just a list of random games (some of them I refuse to believe are popular) but the standout is that you can get Spintires for for 33% off and almost 50% off if you put the 20% voucher in.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How's Borderlands 2 after beating the game for the first time? I've heard kind of bad things about higher-level play, even though I was thinking of getting GOTY or the Season Pass to add to my base game.

If you're playing it by yourself there's very little point in playing it at higher levels. Without grinding endlessly for the best gear (or editing the game itself to get them) all you'll most likely do is die over and over again to enemies with far too much health and far too much damage output. I even like BL2 for the most part but I can't imagine playing True Vault Hunter Mode or Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode without at least one friend to pick you up. A team of at least three is preferable.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes, also more limited resources, slower reloading, harder enemies, and in general more of a "survival horror" feel. Also they made Ranger Mode not obnoxious now in LL. I only got it because I could get both for 25 bucks if I bought 2033 for $4. :v:

At the least I'll be playing both as the other. I've played Metro 2033 on 360 enough to be interested in mixing it up.

e: Oh hey you can pre-load both now. It comes out Tuesday!

I've been meaning to go back to Last Light in Ranger mode but what was considered obnoxious about it before the Redux version?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't finish it because unlike in 2033 there was no way to really know what it was you actually had. 2033 gave a bunch of context clues and animations and stuff that LL lacked; Redux adds stuff back in instead of just "no hud, good luck". Obnoxious was probably too strong a word but it felt like it missed the point.

So there's a button or something to show you your inventory during Ranger mode in Redux Last Light but not in the original release?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Gamefly sold on. Rip D2D, and the copy of SWAT4 they stole from me :argh:

Man, every single company that buys a digital storefront just expects to instantly get Steam numbers without putting in any of the work huh? GameStop dropped all support Stardock's old Impulse store after spending who knows how much buying the thing (and subsequently didn't improve on it at all) and now Gamefly does the same (though that was after, in my opinion, making it worse than what they started with).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drifter posted:

An unconscious body can die, yes. Eaten by rats on the ground, a slow drown in water, tumbling off a high edge, et cetera.

And weepers count because they're still people, only literal animals don't count towards the chaos - dogs, fish, rats.

Be careful of puddles of water because people can drown in them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ColoradoCleric posted:

I saw Commandos was on sale right now for pretty cheap, does it work on modern systems? Anything else worth looking at on sale right now?

If you feel like trying adventure games or hidden object games, respectively, The Journey Down Chapter 1 and The Tiny Bang Story are both pretty good examples of the genre. Most hidden object games tend toward looking around rooms of a building or something but Tiny Bang Story takes a but more creative approach to its aesthetic and throw in some super chill music and you have a relatively easy to get into HO/puzzle game.

• Locked thread