Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'm trying to break into the industry as a pivot out of logistics. I expect this thread will become a new best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It’s going to be troublesome to replace you, we’re a family don’t go :shobon:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Man, I can’t even land a dang interview. I guess it’s tough to get past HR when your job doesn’t seem terribly relevant based on its title (Ops Manager). I saw a post by Bob Morales about questions a t1 Help Desker gets and I’d ace it but drat if that doesn’t mean jack if I can’t even get in to talk.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

Okay, here at the cliff notes.

*She has demanded that anytime I am not to be at work that I run it by her first. I argued that the CEO shutting down the company in order for people to specifically take time off isn't me taking a personally PTO day.

*She said that we are the department that will take off time the least. I asked to be specific about what she means and she rambled around the point without giving a straight answer. I asked her point blank how many days she thinks is acceptable for me to take off in a year and she also refused to give me a straight answer. I asked her if I was still eligible for company holidays off and she said "we will see". :rolleyes:

*I asked her why she left 8 voicemails. She told me I was wrong and she didn't leave 8 voicemails. I sent her a screenshot of my voicemailbox with 8 voicemails from her cell phone in it and she blew up. She said I was a no show for work and again I argued that isn't all the likely since the business is closed right now.

*she rambled on for 10 minutes about how all her previous bosses never let her take pto and she was better for it. I let her know that this isn't a healthy relationship with work and she started screaming my name over and over again.

*I let her know that I had made plans for this week off and that I wasn't going to change them. She made some vague comments about "we will see about that" but meh, she didn't give me any direct orders to stop my vacation.

*I blocked her number for now and we will see what is what by next week.

Good god man, begin running and don’t stop until your legs give out

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

After one of my interviews today, they sent an assessment as part of the interview. It was an IQ test and one of those ALWAYS TRUE MOSTLY TRUE personality tests.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Got a second interview with the IQ test folks. How many red flags do y’all see in the following:

6 person team
10 hour workday on the job page
In interview mentioned that it’s not a 9-5 and that if weekend work came up the whole team would be working
“We do things the (insert company name) way”
Sent me IQ test as assessment
Is a MSP
Said 75% of their work was cloud, 25% on prem
Mentioned they do run cables for people
One of the two interviewers on the call was on client prem setting up a new server
Didn’t give me a client count

Yet I’m somehow not scared?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

Paychecks still coming.

lmao

skipdogg posted:

:yotj: Congrats

Too many red flags for me. You gotta do what you gotta do, but if you have other options I'd drop that place.

Thomamelas posted:

This feels like the right amount of flags, if your in Moscow for the Mayday parade in the early 80s.

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're not? Lmao

I'm not. My last job was a 60+ 24/7/365 where I covered all kinds of crazy shifts on the regular. I suppose you could say I'm used to it. I did have a feeling ya'll would get a serious kick out of it though!

In weeks of applying, the only responses I've gotten are this company and a school district (of like 30 applications). I could keep playing the applying game, but really I want to get some income again dammit.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

HR director lost her phone this weekend so I had to go to the Verizon store and get her a new one. I found it really odd. Then yesterday she came in to get it, and Verizon screws up the DEP enrollment so she didn't get it.

She signed out of her computer at 5:02 on Tuesday. Nobody had heard from her all day today. People were asking me if her new phone was working etc etc

A couple hours ago I found out on social media that they are looking for her husband because he killed her. Tomorrow should be interesting. Verizon just emailed me that the phone is enrolled in DEP.

Holy poo poo. I am so sorry, jesus

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Got a MSP job. Can’t wait to build stories of insanity worthy of posting in the IT threads. The SA IT threads are a great resource I intend to pay forward.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

My new job at the MSP has been onboarding me with next week beginning my ability to attend to tickets. It’s going to be a tough job running around the city but I’m honestly excited to get into the thick of it. Already saw a couple of fires and how they’re dealt with so I think I’m ready.

If you never hear from me again, email this post to my wife.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

4 weeks notice is the perfect “I want my boss as a reference” move

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I’m in a weird place where my job is taking advantage of me and asking for things beyond job description in both hours and tasks but I almost want it because I’m new to IT and it puts me in with a ton of different technologies and situations. Every week there are a couple of interview stories. MSP.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mimecast and barracuda for ez mode

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It can be that they're just awkward people you know

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I prefer pins. When they come out with Laptop pins, call me.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

This thread has legit been invaluable as I’ve entered into the industry, have a wonderful holiday and consider ways to automate thanksgiving dinner.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

Crazy CISO update: She is fired.

CEO reached out to me today to disable her accounts. I am now the companies only infosec employee. It felt so good. CTO called me celebrate after.

Packcheck status: indefinite.

What was the last straw that got it done?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

The ceo basically started fact checking every thing she would tell him and realized 90% of it was made up bullshit. Also there was an employee uprising (that I might have unintentionally started) where everyone that ever has regularly interacted with her wrote a testimonial to complain. Mostly nothing was getting done because she wanted every change to go through her but then she would never get around to actually approving or denying anything.

In the half day we have had with her gone, we have had more work being done than the previous 2 months. I woke up this morning knowing I will never have to speak to her again and let me tell you, I feel physically healthier.

Congratulations buddy, may your future be better for your blood pressure

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Log4j is a real bitch. That is all.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

We had a server for an hvac company get actively breached according to datto but despite this, the call from on high was to put our AV on it and hope it does its job until monday :psyduck:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I gave my coworkers some nice mezcal to ease their on calls

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

cage-free egghead posted:

We've got some people at my company who are more than willing to do on-call and will take shifts from other people. Mostly because it's fairly quiet and you get a decent chunk of change just for the week alone. They will also happily answer their phone call after hours or on vacation because "that's what a team is for".

At my MSP of 4 total people we don’t get paid extra for on call! It’s dogshit!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I spend 5 hours driving to and from a site on a 2 day a week schedule which includes toll roads and traffic to be there at 9 and to leave by 5. I am not paid for gas, tolls, or my huge travel time. I also get pulled into driving other far away places semi frequently. If I am in the city and there is an on site emergency and I don’t have my car, I have to figure out how to get there and won’t be reimbursed for it. I don’t get paid extra for an on call that covers 5 nights and a weekend in a 21 day period, regardless of the hours I put in. This weekend, I logged 10 hours and was expected to be in normal time on Monday. We support any type of phone, wifi system, server, router, switch, nvr, sound system, camera system, vm, firewall, printer, scanner, or POS system a client might use. We have clients of all types. gently caress, I even have to troubleshoot for in house applications with GUIs from the 80s! I get to learn a lot of marketable stuff and I’m just breaking into the field, but for the scraps they’re paying me, it’s tough to stick with this MSP thing. Ugh.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Coolnezzz posted:

There are so many things wrong here and I am so sorry you have had to deal with this, I would split the second they said I had to pay for my own gas to drive to their clients. It sounds like you have a grasp on the fundamentals, have you considered applying for remote positions in other states? Anecdotally my company has started hiring people at various levels in their career who work 100% remote in several other states and we are a small shop, IMO.

It’s something I want to do, but I need to get the experience under my belt first, I think. I’ve gotten to be pretty good with all of the Microsoft admin portals, AD, Fortigate, UniFi, Mimecast, Datto of all types, and how to do a ton of l1/2 troubleshooting for uncountable vendors of varying product ages. I even learned what you go through on a zero day thanks to logfuckJ! I don’t want to load up on certs so I’m trying to soread them out so an HR hirer doesn’t just say lolbraindump. I don’t have a relevant degree as this was a full pivot out of logistics middle upper management which was unsurprisingly cancerous. So with an A+ alone..yeah. Need some time.

Internet Explorer posted:

Oof, that's all awful. I really hate the MSP business. I feel like there's several labor violations in there.

When I worked for an MSP, I was able to get together with other engineers and start pushing back. It didn't make the place a dream to work for, but we were able to implement a lot of positive changes. I wonder if that would be an option here? I promise you the owner is making bank off of all the poo poo you just listed off.

This is good advice and there are some pushbacks, but it’s just the owner, a tech he bestowed manager on, and then me and a colleague who is used to this after 3 years, so I’m going it alone for the most part.

CloFan posted:

What the gently caress? :sever:

E: I've never worked for an msp so maybe that's not so unusual but it sounds awful. And I guess you gotta do your time in the trenches, but don't stay a minute longer than you have to. That employer is very bad

I will leave as soon as I can, but I thought it would be interesting to remind the thread what MSP means. Or at least, for me so far :negative:

Thanks all for your condolences, as always I’ll post when horrible funny things happen

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

PDQ is interesting to me because my current job has us do all of this stuff manually. We have Datto, but it only supports cmdline and nobody here has used it for that. Sure would have been nice during log4j, gently caress.

Perhaps it’s time to learn how to save myself tons of time.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

What cache was keeping it functional? How the gently caress do you not transfer fsmo when DC transitioning?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Devs apparently need to frequently download new libraries/tools tho and may not know what they’ll need until they dive in. If the IT department is slow and you have a block-until-ask posture, that’s gonna gently caress up productivity a lot.

I’m amenable to the model of block-until-ask until the dev escalates to their manager and you can get it in writing that they asked, you didn’t give. Thoughts on that?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Lmao god bless Jaeger

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Yubikeys and be done with it

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I use AAD and can confirm it owns, only rarely pissing me off regarding on prem groups.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

While not as bad as no documentation environments I really hate the scattered documentation. Where a company has half assed documentation for a decade resulting in the information being there but scattered across 4 different platforms and/or a ticketing system.

Just loving pick one and stick with it! Also gently caress you and your new insane pricing Confluence for partially causing this issue!

It me

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Rackspace is such a meme. When I started, I was happy with it because setting up emails was super straightforward, but a large client of ours constantly had breaches related to OWA somehow (before I got here so don't ask me what happened) so my boss disabled their ability to use OWA. Well, they also have some users on hosted exchange with 100 gb mailboxes and rackspace doesn't offer a way to transition to an e3 or whatever. Further, there's no exchange admin portal for us or the rackspace people, so when someone hits that hard limit of 100 and emails are bouncing? Have to solve it by archiving locally because no OWA. This is a major problem when the host device is on wifi you can't remote into and your only other recourse is to add and download a 100 gb mailbox locally to clean it.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Happiness Commando posted:

Get several progress bars moving at the same time. Bill an hour or two in like 15 minutes of active time

I do this but I don’t get time off as a result lol so what’s the point

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Things I don't like about IT: Punchdowns and making cables, drilling into concrete from the top of ladders, dealing with printers ESPECIALLY barcode printers, cleaning up fallout from lazily executed plans started by my bosses (such as finding out that all 50 firewalls we support are about 8 firmware patches behind lmao), working crazy hours and dealing with poo poo wayyyyy off schedule

Things I do like about IT: Firewalls, Azure, Email (I was shocked this didn't stress me out but it actually is fun getting it all working and set up, running traces etc), server management and setups, AP installs, remoting in and fixing little stuff that perplexed a three letter, learning new poo poo all the time

Things I want to learn but this position isn't helping me to: Automation. The people here want to do everything manually and I guess it's tougher to do automation in an MSP environment, but drat if it doesn't annoy me that computer setups and mundane things like that take as long as they do.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Daaaamn, finally bad enough that even you’re getting out. God bless that mess, amazing that the new CISO is crazier than the last one

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Are you an Outlook stan? :pwn:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Outlook (the app) has a lot of dumb problems like 2fa causing login fails after a password reset, imports causing it to be unusable for hours as it syncs, and the host of version related issues. Why should I like it over gsuite?

E: I do like having access to pretty decent support though

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 15, 2022

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

So you agree the app is dog dribble?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Down with Email!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

I offered you boat talk and only a few took me up on it. We could be talking about boats!

What kind of boat money do I need to have to be boating the proper amount and not loving It All Up because brother I want a boat but I am just not financially there