Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Eventually crazy tends to loop round and join back up at various points.

I think the title of these guys could be changed to "Dork Enlightenment" and it would change approximately bugger and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Sharkie posted:

Nah, before that could happen they'd turn on each other first, then all take their philosophy tomes and warhammer figurines and go home.

That is unfair, I have known some perfectly fine people to have Warhammer figurines.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'm kind of wondering, if you lived as a carl circa the Early Medieval period in Britain would that be as bad as the Victorian couple?

Because If I ever won the lottery I always thought about trying to set up an old style farm to show people how people would live back in those days.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I was just wondering if people would get as drat angry as that guy did over the Victorian couple. Because he seems really mad about them living like that. I mean yeah there is tonnes of messed up poo poo from the Victorian Era, but at the same time you can't say that they should "Be unhappy about where their clothing comes from" or where there stuff comes from when almost all of our own devices come from very similar places that just happen to be separated by an ocean instead of inside the same country.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

I expect this guy is interpreting every "Get off the road" and "what the hell are you Amish or something" as a sign of profound hatred rather than confusion that a middle-class couple have decided to LARP full Victorian in the year of our Lord 2015 in North America.

True. You'd have to make sure that you only drove your geese to market every so often.

The thing is I have actually been held up by cows crossing the road when driving in my home town and it still isn't as annoying as tractors.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

what is this thing supposed to even be? Other than a bad use of the "truth" rune from King of Dragon Pass.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'd be careful about the term "golden period" at all. Mainly because, as much as anything else, it is defined by the people looking back as much as the people at the time.

Holding up ones culture, or indeed any culture, as the one that is the sole and central one that all others should follow is, whilst really fun and something all humans do, an unfortunate problem when we look at it in totality. Its why post modernism (and sometimes Post post modernism) are such big things.

I mean I am not exactly the most learned guy on the planet, but its kind of mind boggling how much knowledge stuff you just accumulate whether you want to or not in this day and age.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's a silhouette of Queen Celestia illuminated by the Black Sun rune. The Black Sun is based on old Germanic symbology, and is used by Neopagans and Fascists as a symbol of Aryanism or whatever.

Shame, there is a black sun in Glorantha too, except its in charge of a place called "Bliss in Ignorance" a place that grows huge amounts of drugs and is basically the Aztec empire on steroids. I wonder if the creators of Glorantha knew about this sort of poo poo way back when?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Charles Murray can blow himself. He's the kind of 'sociologist' that makes other sociologists look like morons.

He's the one who did all the bell curve nonsense isn't he?

Also could anyone give me links to a really angry take down of Murray and Hans. Because I really think I deserve to read more about these thoroughly contemptible individuals.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

coyo7e posted:

I'm not intending to poke the bear or anything but how many Lovecraft stories actually have racist content? I remember the one about the gorilla in the cave but I don't really recall nearly as many parts in his stories as, say, solomon kaine.

I think Shadow over innsmouth is meant to be a parable about race mixing. That, the infamous cat in "the rats in the wall", the fact that something up there with none elucidan geometries and terrible dragon octopi is that someones ancestor was partially black, the endless endless screeds written by Lovecraft during his lifetime etc.

I can't really comment on the comparison with Solomon Kaine since I don't know that person, but yeah. Lovecraft was crazy racist.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

potatocubed posted:

One of the big advantages of The North is that the further you go, the less likely you are to run into anyone from the City of London.

Saying that I live south of the river and you virtually don't see any of them here either.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Cingulate posted:

I'm working in the empirical arm of Pinker's field and he's basically our humanities embassador (IMO). The serious arm of our field is all about statistics and data and stuff, Pinker is all about storytelling and anecdotes and exegesis.

Edit: I think Pinker is exceptionally bright and makes a ton of good points though. But I also really loathe about 40% of what he does, e.g. the "dear humanities: science isn't your enemy!" thing, in the first place due to Pinker's entirely delusional self representation as a 'hard' scientist.

Could you read back what you just wrote then what you just quoted and the implicit assumptions inside of that to try and notice the vein of nigh on cosmic irony that you have just started mining?

Its not a "humanities" thing to work in anecdotes, and people would be less keen to see science as an "enemy" if it wasn't populated by raging arses who seem to believe that knowing what a gluon is makes them a competent human being.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

Wait, so what's the deal with Steven Pinker? I mainly know him from that book about the decline of violence and some talks about the origins of language. Is he into some :biotruths: poo poo or something?

Not really, he's just not very liked by social scientists or humanities people.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Cingulate posted:

But therapy didn't help you cope better with those situations when they did occur (besides for making you more stable in your life in general), it just helped you make the choices required to encounter such situations less often? Or am I misreading you?

Not putting your damp hand into a plug socket will also prevent electric shocks and is a better way of preventing it than just drying your hands.

Is "unproblematized" a word, and if so what does it mean?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Both are loving tiny groups of people, why is this person so concerned by this?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Sax Solo posted:

an Even-Shittier Universe reprise of Neil Gaiman + Amanda Palmer.

Okay, what's wrong with Neil Gaiman now.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Neon Noodle posted:

What the hell does Clark have against witches?! Is it the 12th century at his house?

I'd thank you not to insult the 12th century by comparison to this fuckwit.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

To be honest I would expect duel legalization to shake out the way most medieval/renaissance duels ended. With them showing up to the dueling grounds with their shiny swords and one shot pistols, making a big show of every little detail like Seconds and their list of grievances, and then yelling "MY HONOR HAS BEEN SATISFIED" before the fight even begins and going home. Only the monumentally stupid get into a fair fight to the death, and most duels reflected that.

Do the Norse thing and go fight on a little island until only one of you comes back.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

"It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied. And if the fool, or the pig, are a different opinion, it is because they only know their own side of the question." -literally a book called Utilitarianism

Just like libertarian thinking can be summed up as "Locke with a concussion," lesswrong thinking is "Bentham with a concussion," and Bentham is already "lovely JS Mill."

Isn't that what Sam Harris also does too?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oligopsony posted:

I don't think this is entirely true - Scott reads people like Nathan Robinson and Freddie DeBoer regularly - but he does definitely interpret them in a confused way, because he lacks a lot of the background knowledge (the inferential distance is high, to use LW language.) It doesn't help that he seems to have gotten his main ideas on how Marxism works from Peter Singer's extremely weak gloss. But Marxist thought is getting more common in general, and increasingly being read by establishment center-left types if only to be refuted rather than simply dismissed, so I think in general that may be less of a problem as time goes on.

Who are these people? I can't even find a Wikipedia page about them.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Freddie DeBoer is a guy who blogs and writes articles sometimes.

He's left-wing but spends a lot of time criticizing things he dislikes on the left, which is probably why people like Razib Khan and Scott Alexander respond well to him.

No idea about Robinson

Thanks!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

TinTower posted:

Transhumanist trans women makes more sense than the primitivist trans woman phenomenon that apparently exists, to be fair.

I am sure I am going to regret asking this but, could you elaborate?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

TinTower posted:

Apparently an increasing proportion of trans women are becoming primitivists and I don't get it either?

I more meant if there was any literature, but fair enough.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I am shocked that this isn't a warhammer 40K ork.

TEEF FOR TEEF!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Neon Noodle posted:

He is UNBELIEVABLY problematic, he was a pretty bog standard racist and anti-Semite (though not as much as Hillaire Belloc).

As a Jew I don't have much problem with the bulk of his oeuvre, I just skip over the short stories where Isidore Immanuel cheats some pure English country peasant out of his ancestral farm.

Read "orthodoxy" and you will have no better arguement for Atheism than any currently conceived.

Both himself and Lewis suffered from the problem of being converts, and like all converts they not only wanted you to know it but were astonished that you might disagree. I mean one of the best descriptions of Chesterton I ever read was this:

quote:

A Frenchman or an Italian, even a devout one, can see the Catholic Church as a normally bureaucratic human institution, the way patriotic Americans see the post office, recognizing the frailty and even the occasional psychosis of its employees without doubting its necessity or its ability to deliver the message. Chesterton writing about the Church is like someone who has just made his first trip to the post office. Look, it delivers letters for the tiny price of a stamp! You write an address on a label, and they will send it anywhere, literally anywhere you like, across a continent and an ocean, in any weather! The fact that the post office attracts timeservers, or has produced an occasional gun massacre, is only proof of the mystical enthusiasm that the post office alone provides! Glorifying the postman beyond what the postman can bear is what you do only if you’re new to mail.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's a shame Orwell didn't live long enough to read Lord of the Rings. That's an essay I'd love to read.

Angry former colonial administrator vs Oxford Don isn't something I'd usually like to see, but now I really do.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If you want to see the real George Orwell you need to read his essays and book reviews. His current reputation as the right's pet leftist would horrify him.

Oh that I do know. I never understood why some people latched on to him from the Right. I am also glad he hated Stalin, I wish more Western European leftists could disregard him and what he did.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ate all the Oreos posted:

Ah yeah that's the one. My friend went down a rabbit hole of that guy's comics a while back and came to the conclusion that he definitely has a weird unacknowledged gay antifa fetish because there's a lot like this

How the gently caress can that be unacknowledged? How in the balls can you produce that art work and not think "y'know, maybe I have a thing for the black bloc".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

"the woman within" completely supplants her fleshly rivals.

Holy gently caress this is hilarious.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jesus, the poor family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I wish the golden one would just drop the Nazi poo poo and be a good person and raise adorable adopted multiracial babies with contra.

'Tis a pity he's a facist.