Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
Has this been linked yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
From Orgy of the Will:

quote:

The microscientists claim that there "are" 4, or 6, or 27 dimensions, dispute each other's claims and try to "find" exactly how many dimensions there "are". But a dimension is not something that exists outside the brain, but a mere concept that the brain creates and projects onto its environment in order to "understand" it (i.e., as I'll be explaining shortly, predict its behavior with a view to shaping it for its wishes). The microscientists have once more mistaken their models for reality, and have confused the question of the number of dimensions of the universe (infinite — which is to say the same thing as one), with the number of dimensions in their models (the more the better). The more dimensions a brain can resolve, the more subtle, more powerful it is. Which is why the microscientists say that there "are" 4, or 6, or 27 of them — and I say infinite.

This is, quite simply, empirically incorrect. Even without the contradiction inherent in declaring infinity to be equal to one. Fun fact: some models predict an extra time dimension. Which is super weird when you think about it. I am a math guy though, not a physicist, so I couldn't tell you exactly what that would mean because I don't quite get it.

quote:

Wittgenstein is — once you have got past "that hocus-pocus of mathematical form", in which, like Spinoza, he encased and masked his philosophy — utterly exasperating. Ethics is transcendental, aesthetics is transcendental, logic is transcendental! — everything is transcendental! But all these things are in the universe, you goddamn brainless twit, how can they be transcendental! The universe is everything, nothing is transcendental! that's just a word imbeciles use to signify that they are incapable of understanding something! — And sure enough, he understood neither logic, nor ethics, nor aesthetics — among a great many other things, practically everything! — partly because he didn't bother reading enough of what his predecessors wrote, but mainly because he was a little man with small experiences and therefore incapable of making any progress in psychology, which is where all these "transcendental" categories begin — and end.

What a thorough and well argued take down of Wittgenstein.

Edit: Also he hates the jews

quote:

Napoleon and Hitler: two faces of the same coin, with devastation following at the end in either case. Why the extra hatred for the latter? Partly the far greater scale and scope of WWII over the Napoleonic Wars, partly the increased power in the means of war and the ensuing devastation, partly Jewish lies and propaganda. That no one studies history any more and therefore has no clue who Napoleon was and more importantly what he did, is not exactly helping either.

Nietzsche would be so disappointed.

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Mar 4, 2015

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
Everyday I am thankful for the fact that my parents refused to tell me my IQ test scores as a kid, and knew that I was too emotionally immature for a the GATE program.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

quote:

Have been prescribed anything by a psychiatrist more than once

Holy poo poo, isn't that an outright violation of the ADA and the Fair Housing Act?

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Aug 6, 2015

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

divabot posted:

This is also the MIRI argument for cryonics. "But a sufficiently powerful AI ..." "No. It's hosed. You hosed it. The data is gone." "But a SUFFICIENTLY POWERFUL AI ..."

My favorite part of this is even IF you had an AI that could reconstruct parts of a person based on archived Facebook posts and crap, there's going to be fundamental limits on how accurate a picture of a person you can reconstruct, because entropy always takes its pound of flesh. It is also nice to see someone trying to explain that, no, neurons do not work like logic gates.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Count Chocula posted:

I've never heard of the group on the right.

You are in for a treat. The Order of Nine Angles is a radical satanic "organization" created by David Myatt. I think it only consists of angry people yelling online. They claim by engaging in acts like culling the weaker races, surviving alone in the wilderness for a month, committing acts of heinous violence, etc that they reach a higher state of consciousness that allows them to contact higher powers called acausal entities. They're hardcore anti-semites who think the jews created black people in a plot to control the pure white man. I think that's right. I may be getting my racists mixed up. They also believe that one day they will have their small tribes crewing spaceships that travel the stars in order to spread the glory of white people everywhere.

So basically: Nazi Satanists that Want to go to SPAAAAAACE

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Huh, I thought he was dead. 13 year old freshly-gay me loved Dhalgren :3:

Dhalgren is an absolutely beautiful work. It's the book that turned me onto massive postmodernist doorstoppers. But I find that almost all of them seem to lack the heart that Dhalgren has.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Woolie Wool posted:

Humans don't reduce to data and facts,

I mean, the issue at hand here isn't even that. It's that, even if humans DO reduce to data(I presume you mean numerical) and facts, as you put it, that it's much more likely that the sheer amount of data you would need to truly understand an individual human being that way is so mind-bogglingly large that computing it and analyzing it in any meaningful capacity is prohibitively difficult right now, and possibly forever.

quote:

The fact that said unbalanced education and the technocratic mindset it engenders makes intelligent people more compliant with and more loyal to capitalism makes it even better.

I actually find this unlikely. I have met a staggering amount of radical marxist mathematicians. And though my sympathies do not lie with anything that anyone would call radicalism, I think it's important to point out that the conservative bias you are perceiving in STEM chiefly stems(heh) from the T and E parts of that acronym. Engineers, like doctors, are actually more conservative, as a population than the general pop. Technology like-wise. I say this, mostly, to illustrate that treating STEM as a monolith is very much a mistake.

I have always disliked inter-field pissing contests though, so it makes me cringe whenever I see STEM people bashing lib arts.

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Aug 28, 2015

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

quote:

You'd need to have lived the lives of Newton, Lavoisier, Einstein, Fermi, and Kahneman all put together to be proven wrong about as many facts as a programmer unlearns in one year of debugging, though admittedly they'd be deeper and more emotionally significant facts. How could academia possibly let an average practitioner do that?

This is so stupid I'm actually stunned. Like, I'm trying to come up with a comment on it and I just...draw a blank. And then I reread and my brain just sort of gives up and I stare at my wall for a little bit.

Edit: One of the people backing him up is a grad student at Princeton that seems to be interested in algebraic geometry. What the hell are they teaching over there? Most pure mathematicians avoid applied stuff because they know exactly how complicated and messy real things can get.

quote:

Mathematics gives you a false picture of the simplicity of reality, most forms of science and programming will quickly disabuse you of this

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Aug 28, 2015

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Merdifex posted:

Wesley thinks that the only reason people think that Moldbug is bullshit is that Moldbug is verbose, instead of being wrong, and bullshitting all over the place. I guess ideologues will defend their idols to any extent, with any old nonsensical argument.

Who is this person, other than a crazy man who pretends to not know what NRx stands for?

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Aug 31, 2015

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Backpfeifengesicht incarnate.

For something infinitely more terrifying, click here.

When someone from the Cato Institute is calling you a crazy racist-fascist, you have gone seriously overboard.

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Aug 31, 2015

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Wesley Morganston posted:

I made the mistake of believing I was a Brahmin, going to a very strongly Brahmin college, and maintaining some Vaisya ideals, so I was treated as an Antyaja, by which I mean I was accused of being a member of the KKK, told that America and the world would be better off without people like me, and forced out after one semester

Wesley Morganston posted:

And as for the charge that Insane Clown Posse “sounds no different than the usual black rap”… well, I’d like to see Soulja Boy do this. Or even this.

This is so revealing, I love it.

:allears:

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Sep 1, 2015

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Reminder: LW people treat Wesley like he's the smart Nrx who's playing an entirely different game from people like Jim. This is the best of the best, according to them.

I am not too fond of continental philosophy in general, but it baffles me that they'd point to anyone other than Nick Land for this.

Woolie Wool posted:

It sounds more to me like the Black Brute stereotype for the men. The women get hit with the Jezebel stereotype.

Yeah, that was my first thought too. Especially when he made outright references to ethnic groups.

quote:

Funny, I thought the majority of people did crime when driven to a corner. So the Dalit are rebels but not really and aesthetes but not really?

It is so painfully obvious that these DE writers have never worried about money in their life or, god forbid, where their next meal will come from.

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Sep 2, 2015

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Race Realists posted:

So, outside of work, statistically I’m almost always the smartest person in the room. I would much rather be in a room full of people wiser than myself. Given the typical arrogance of people at my IQ level I’m far more likely to learn something important if I am the smartest. It’s all about ego. Or lack of it.

Whelp

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Jack Gladney posted:

The intellectually demanding field of software

Why, specifically, do programmers massively overestimate their intelligence so much? Is it just because Silicon Valley blows sweaty chunks and makes programmers think they're intellectual rockstars?

"I do javascript front-end development. I am clearly an intellectual giant."

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

DStecks posted:

It's because there's this perception out there that programming is this mystical art that you need to be a next-level intelligence to understand, when it's not really different from any kind of mechanical repair or electrical work. This perception attracts people who see themselves as intelligent, and they have no incentive to refute this perception.

This was something that I always found hard to understand. And I think, in part, is it's because I taught myself to code when I was really young. And the reason I stopped is because a lot of coding is pretty mechanical and dull. Also I was infuriated by what I saw as a preponderance of pointless abstraction(funny how things like that turn out, I'm in pure math now.)

But I've also always been under the impression that programming gets more interesting and more intellectually demanding as you dig deeper? Sort of like the difference between being a mechanic and being an engineer? Would it be inaccurate to assume that there are very different types of programmers that do work that requires very different levels of ability?

quote:

It also doesn't help that programming education is often very limited unless you're prepared to self-teach or take post-secondary education for it, and involves vernacular and concepts that don't have easy analogues outside the world of computers. Half the difficulty of learning to code is just getting through the front door, but once you basically understand what programming is, then anyone who's at all mechanically inclined can do it. Programs are just machines made of words.

Yeah. A really good example of this is Minecraft actually. Minecraft has this stuff in it called redstone, and you can make logic gates out of it. And a lot of kids make fairly elaborate machines with them, and they don't understand that they're actually coding.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Woolie Wool posted:

But the AI will create a pocket universe for us because uh space magic! *waves hands frantically*

Bad news about that. In a nutshell, even Yud's vaunted super-AI can only be so smart.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

I thought Nithgrim was someone else?

Mind you, Nydwracu changes his blogname every few days, so who knows really.

If that's the case, it's pretty weird that the blog link on that website goes to Nydwracu's blog.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Merdifex posted:

You know, I don't think I've mentioned this before, but nydwracu is the only DE moron who makes, or made, his own music. You check his poo poo out at his website he says he made when he was 15. Notice the subtle racial messages in some of the songs.

http://cryptm.org/~nort/

It's like someone tried to crossbreed Breakcore and Noise.

Only they don't understand either.

I always hated the weird neo-fascist undercurrent in a lot of post-Industrial subgenres. The worst offenders are usually Neofolk bands or Martial Industrial, with Power Electronics pulling up pretty close behind them. It never really felt ironic, despite the bands claiming otherwise. It's actually one of the big reasons why I switched over to experimental Jazz and Japanese Noise artists in my listening habits. My family emigrated to the US in WW2 because my grandpa hated Hitler and my grandma was probably gonna get put into a camp. My cousins were all split apart when the Berlin wall went up. So all that stuff hits a little close to home for me.

I will bet a toe that Nydwracu reads or read Heathen Harvest at one point.

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Sep 7, 2015

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Klaus88 posted:

White hip-hop and rap should be prosecuted as a crime against humanity.

But but but...Doomtree :(

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Heresiarch posted:

I don't know if this strictly speaking confirmation bias, I think there's a better term for this particular kind of unintended cherry-picking but I'm tired and not firing on all cylinders so I'm sure somebody else can name it.

I've seen the same thing from right-wing people, talking about "anime marxists." I think it's just that anime-avatars tend to be brightly colored and stick out visually.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Jack Gladney posted:

Just like easy jungle living made African savages lazy and prone to demanding welfare from those hard-working honest white Americans!

I love this because living in the jungle is actually horrible and very difficult. It is rife with disease, parasites, predators, and many more delightful things.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

http://thefutureprimaeval.net/fear-of-a-black-planet/ just being really, really open about it at this point

If I don't click this I can just pretend it's someone whose afraid of Sisters of Mercy.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Nessus posted:

Oh so "a culture that likes things other than the masculine arts which I personally favor" eh

Yes. For example, one of the things held up as an example of 'Neoteny Culture' was...

The Mountain Goats.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

divabot posted:

This is Invictus' resignation letter from a previous job. His law school friends show up in the comments - apparently he was known at law school as a weird but OK guy, very very smart but very very weird.

His accent is apparently half a put-on. A southerner trying to go mid-Atlantic for pomposity, and the result being nearly as awful as when an Australian tries an American accent or an American tries an Australian accent.

Invictus is not NRx as such, although he and Rachel Haywire did exchange mutual admiration on Twitter.

Don't you mock Invictus, can't you see he has a Cadillac and a poodle?

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Maybe plastic skulls are the secret masters of neoreaction

They are the replacement for bitcoin in their glorious future.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Woolie Wool posted:

Latinos who look 100% European can definitely become white if they Anglicize, and many do--look at George Zimmerman, hero of racist white people everywhere. "But he's Hispanic!" I've heard some people say, but he's also, as Trayvon Martin put it, a creepy-rear end cracker. The expansion of whiteness to encompass light-skinned Latinos in general, not just those who take on Anglo ways, is all but guaranteed, because it's necessary for white people to hold onto power in America.

If this happens I will fry and eat my hat. I don't even own a hat.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Nessus posted:

I thought that was the usual argument back in the day. "Yes, the Jew and the China-man may edge us out slightly in one field, but they lack real zest, gumption, etc. Let us make sure they look at the whole student character, so our fair halls of Harvard and Yale are not infested with nerds."

According to some sources I've found, this is apparently literally how college admissions essays happened.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Munin posted:

I for some reason would like to see the reaction of some people discussed in this thread to this little news snippet:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/06/08/nigerian-student-ufot-ekong-solves-30-year-old-maths-equation_n_7533358.html

I want to find out what he did but there seems to be very little publicly available.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

divabot posted:

Phil Sandifer, suffering Dork Enlightenment fatigue, posted on why scientific racists are actively horrible, I reblogged it and the rationalsphere turned it into an utter lw.txt clusterhug. There are several branches of this stupid, but here's Phil's finishing response.

Check it out that dude who posted that stupid cat-face one liner immediately melted down on his own blog.

That my friends, is the rare cat-face of rage

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

pelswick posted:

the all-consuming terror of death is an accidental negative side effect of our giant thinking brains

If you have this then you are a giant baby who needs to talk to a therapist.

OH NO, I'M GOING TO SLEEP FOREVER

quote:

There is a very much alive and healthy branch of social psychology - Terror Management Theory - whose foundational assumption is that human behavior can largely be explained by, fundamentally, dealing with fear of death. (Since it's not my branch, this is about what I know of it though.)

I feel like this is one of the most obvious cases of psychologists projecting their own issues onto other people since Freud.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Count Chocula posted:

That's cool, your denial of the fear of death will protect you for awhile. I envy you man, I really do, but mocking people who fear the worst thing that will happen to most people - the thing that's inspired religions and poets for millennia - like they're people who like the wrong kind of videogame is just silly. FFS, one of the first stories ever, The Epic of Gilgamesh, is about fearing death. Becker's book and Terror Management Theory

I have yet to see a coherent addressing of the existence of suicidal behavior from proponents of Terror Management Theory or Becker's book. Moreover, there are a number of critiques from evolutionary psychology that have been leveled at the discipline. It's not actually normal to have an all consuming fear of death. People sign DNRs, they engage in risky behavior, and senior citizens do not live in constant terror. Dude, seriously, get help. There are treatments and support groups for thanatophobia. I am going to die, you are going to die, and that's okay.

quote:

explain so much. Including why we distract ourselves with petty Internet fights.

Explaining something doesn't mean it's a correct explanation.

quote:

Lik Woody Allen says, he has to do 5 things at once to distract himself from the fear of death. And it's why I've read every blog post Phil Sandifer's written about Doctor Who and British comic wizards.

:therapy:

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Mar 2, 2016

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Jack Gladney posted:

You don't find it philosophically interesting that only human beings are able to predict and reflect upon the inevitability of their own deaths? Terror's not the right word, but it's something you do have to think about from time to time. It's not exactly fun, even for a Buddhist.

Honestly, I think death in general is philosophically interesting. It raises a crap ton of questions that are worth exploring and investigating. Off the top of my head "What exactly is a living being?", "Is there a precise moment of death?", etc etc.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Cingulate posted:

Khmer Rogue

My favorite DnD prestige class. It gets a really devastating backstab bonus against Cambodians.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Fututor Magnus posted:

The fucks who go on about poo poo like that splintered off of SA and have their own lovely off-site forum where all they talk about is SA mods and drama. It's really quite pathetic. Except for the ones who're still here on the gbs.

They have a stickied thread where they make fun of the people who post in the trans thread.

Apparently it was hilarious to them that my friend cancelled our Thanksgiving plans because they were uncomfortable with me being trans. They are...not good people.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Did someone say SSC? LIGHT THE CINGULATE BEACONS!

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Woolie Wool posted:

Assembly looks more practical than that gibberish.

Assembly is very practical surprisingly. When doing embedded systems programming Assembly is often used for speed and memory usage.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Doc Hawkins posted:

That's not a dark revelation! It's just the denouement of The Difference Engine! Nick Land is a hack so bad the work of better writers gave him a dissociative episode.

The idea of a dark revelation driving someone insane is pretty fantastical on its own. Lovecraft and Poe got the order of operations wrong. What happens more often is that people go crazy, and then they start spouting crazy poo poo. Nick Land is just an educated person with an audience and run of the mill amphetamine psychosis.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

SolTerrasa posted:

Huh. Is that a widely-held belief among experts, is Phil an expert himself, or should I be drawing parallels to Yudkowsky?

It is not even close to widely held, at least with respect to the economic impact of global warming. Basically though, consensus seems to be that if we don't do something, it's gonna get ugly but we'll survive. It's the things that aren't humans that are really gonna feel it.

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 06:13 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

BobHoward posted:

I don't think he's a programmer. ISTR his gushes being something along the lines of "gee golly i'm not technical but moldbug is a political genius so this must be his brilliant masterwork!!!!11!!1". I've never seen any indication Clark has technical acumen.

In fact, merely being a gushing fanboy of Urbit is pretty solid evidence against. You know how over in the computer and funy computer subforums we have threads where we post WTF code written by awful programmers (who are sometimes ourselves)? It is not possible to write code in Yarvin/Moldbug's idiotic system without it being material for those threads.

Yeah. Praising Urbit is really solid evidence against Clarkhat being a technical person at all. It's like going "golly, I bet that person is a civil engineer because he told us to build our house on quicksand."