Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You need to add Muramasa: The Demon Blade to the list. Game is gorgeous and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Question, is The Fall any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0YeYhsOWQA

Cause I think The Fall looks pretty good, but this is the first I've heard of it and trailers can be bullshit. Opinions?

It's a fairly atmospheric puzzle/adventure about an AI onboard a combat suit trying to save its human pilot after crash-landing on an unknown planet and discovering some sort of seemingly decommissioned facility under the planet's surface. It's an interesting take on what happens when an AI's laws and rules conflict with each other, as the AI discovers that to save her pilot, which is a law of its own, she might need to bend the other hardcoded rules and laws of being an AI. I was pretty into the story and enjoyed watching it develop. The environments, while dark due to little power in the base, are interesting, Fallout-y sort of places. You can find logbook entries that either give hints or backstory and by scanning the environment you can piece together a little more of what happened in the facility than the game explicitly tells you. There isn't any music other than environmental sounds which was fine by me.

That said, it's a puzzle/adventure game and the puzzles do get fairly obtuse at times. I only had to look up help once for a solution that I'd never thought of doing but I did try brute-forcing a lot of the puzzles by just doing Open Inventory -> Try Item. Everything you find has a purpose, you just need to find the singular purpose that item serves. There's a little gunplay with some minor cover-shooting that's not too tough but might be a little finicky. Additionally, it's very much worth mentioning that the game is only Part 1 of a series. You're getting a finished product that wraps up fairly well but there's more to the story that will only come in the next installment(s). It's about 2-3 hours long depending on how stuck you get on the puzzles.

I enjoyed it a lot and am looking forward to the next part. I don't know what it's selling for on the eShop since I bought it for $5 on a Steam Daily Deal but I'll probably pay the full $10 for the next part. Play in a dark room for best atmospherics.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So what's the trick for getting the Wii Mode to do progressive scan on games? I thought it was something to do with setting the WiiU's resolution to 480p and then launching a game in the Wii Mode but looking at the screen when testing Prime Trilogy the game is definitely displaying in stretched 4:3 nor does it look as good as I remembered with progressive scan on my original Wii.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Why did it take me three years to get around to playing Xenoblade? I've had it since release and only now have managed to do anything in it!

It's so good!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only early sidequest you actually should go out of your way to do is the one that gets you a portable gem furnace. When you get the colony construction sidequest early on, take the time to get all four buildings to level 1. You get a miniature reactor that you can take to the Gem Furnace guy in Colony 9, and he'll make you a portable version so you can craft gems any drat time you please.

Do you know when that is first available? I did a whole bunch of Colony 9's quests before heading to Colony 6 and haven't received anything like that. I just got to the Ether Mines.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Cool, thanks.

This game is just clicking with me now. Better late than never I guess. I really like exploring the huge areas and seeing what's around. The Bionis Leg must be one of the biggest places I've ever seen in a video game. I kind of wish there were treasure chests on the overworld in far-off corners containing things but considering the frequency that enemies drop weapons and armor there wouldn't be much point unless you put a bunch of fancy uniques in them.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Alacron posted:

Playing Xenoblade again, I'm starting to remember why I stopped. Combat just hasn't "clicked" for me, every fight I get into I feel like I'm missing some glaringly obvious aspect or trick and am just generally making things harder for myself. There's just so much poo poo going on and things to do that it's really hard to know what to prioritize, so I wind up just using Side Split and Back Slash all the time. It works most of the time, but then I'll run into some monster that equals my level that starts wrecking my poo poo so fast that I'm not sure if I just stink at this game or if I'm underleveled or what.

I'm not that far in but if you just have Shulk/Reyn don't forget the whole Break -> Topple -> Daze chain. Shulk's pink arts cause break on enemies and Reyn's green art Wild Down (which he almost always yells so you know when it's coming) will cause Topple. Topple will stun for a few seconds, allowing you to get in some good hits from whatever position you need to be in.

Basically, you want Reyn to draw all the attention and then be attacking the sides/back with Shulk, occasionally causing break and topple. Stream Edge is really good because it hits a wide swath of enemies in front of you. Find ways to boost Reyn's HP and Physical Defense since he's supposed to draw all the attention.

If you feel like you're not doing enough damage, don't forget to level up your artes with your AP. You should also check that your equipment has room for gems and use them. If you need more EXP do some quick sidequests because some of them give nice amounts as rewards. They also sometimes have nice gems as rewards. Fill your collectopaedia for more rewards and gems. There's a bunch of ways to get stronger that I've found. If you're feeling ambitious, try defeating some unique monsters for their drops.

This is all advice for someone still in the early stages of his first playthrough. It's working for me so far!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

TheRam posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/graphitelab/hive-jump-0

This game needs to get backed for like $4,000 more in the next 50 hours, seems pretty likely.
I'm not affiliated with them, and I want people to go do it, it's $15 to get a free copy on release (Wii U or PC) and name a character something (sadly all the $10 free copy ones are gone).

Edit: god drat just found the soundtrack previews on the page, it looks and sounds beautiful.

Thanks for pointing this out. Game looks interesting enough to see where how it develops so I went ahead and threw them a few dollars. The video looks a bit samey at times due to only having a few enemy and environment types so far but there seems to be promise here.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So what's the goon consensus on The Fall? Worth checking out for $10?

I posted a longer recommendation of it earlier, let me go dig it up.

e:

FPzero posted:

It's a fairly atmospheric puzzle/adventure about an AI onboard a combat suit trying to save its human pilot after crash-landing on an unknown planet and discovering some sort of seemingly decommissioned facility under the planet's surface. It's an interesting take on what happens when an AI's laws and rules conflict with each other, as the AI discovers that to save her pilot, which is a law of its own, she might need to bend the other hardcoded rules and laws of being an AI. I was pretty into the story and enjoyed watching it develop. The environments, while dark due to little power in the base, are interesting, Fallout-y sort of places. You can find logbook entries that either give hints or backstory and by scanning the environment you can piece together a little more of what happened in the facility than the game explicitly tells you. There isn't any music other than environmental sounds which was fine by me.

That said, it's a puzzle/adventure game and the puzzles do get fairly obtuse at times. I only had to look up help once for a solution that I'd never thought of doing but I did try brute-forcing a lot of the puzzles by just doing Open Inventory -> Try Item. Everything you find has a purpose, you just need to find the singular purpose that item serves. There's a little gunplay with some minor cover-shooting that's not too tough but might be a little finicky. Additionally, it's very much worth mentioning that the game is only Part 1 of a series. You're getting a finished product that wraps up fairly well but there's more to the story that will only come in the next installment(s). It's about 2-3 hours long depending on how stuck you get on the puzzles.

I enjoyed it a lot and am looking forward to the next part. I don't know what it's selling for on the eShop since I bought it for $5 on a Steam Daily Deal but I'll probably pay the full $10 for the next part. Play in a dark room for best atmospherics.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm surprised that Super Metroid isn't also on sale.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Wait did Hyrule Warriors release today in NA? I've totally not been paying attention to its release date. If so, I know what I'm downloading tonight!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'd just like a bigger variety.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

RyokoTK posted:

You can't just buy a new gamepad? What the hell? That's so bizarre. Nintendo is such a loving weird company.

Why isn't there a :nintendo: analogue to :dice: or something yet?

I'm guessing that it's not worth the manufacturing costs to have spare Gamepads available for purchase. Since there's no reason to buy more than one Gamepad per WiiU because no games and maybe even the console itself doesn't support two gamepads yet, there's no market except in cases where it is broken beyond repair, which are fringe cases. Not to mention if they did sell them they'd probably be around $100 anyways considering they have a lot more bells and whistles than a standard controller.

I'm not a retail merchandise buyer but this is just the explanation that makes the most sense to me.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Jetfire posted:

Uhh...oh crap, DKC: Tropical Freeze is 11GB. Does anyone have recommendations on what to do re: external storage?

I bought this 500GB Western Digital external drive and this Y-Cable for it just recently. Works perfectly for me.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

How is this by the way? I've seen it in numerous places and it seems okay.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Just realized there's a non-zero chance to get Happy Mask Salesman in the Majora's Mask DLC.

:allears:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Don't know what suddenly happened but I spent an hour failing Adventure mode missions in Hyrule Warriors down in the bottom left corner. The fight against two Imprisoned and Ghirahim on a time limit is just not working at my current ability, and then the defeat 700 enemies in 10 minutes while spawning Gohma's and other Warriors is also not going well.

I guess the game just decided to get tougher now that I'm trying to get good items.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gang Beasts is a stupid amount of fun but from what my friend tells me it's not truly made by Double Fine, it just has their name stuck on it and other devs are making it.

I wish it would come to WiiU when it reaches 1.0. 8 player local multiplayer is difficult on a PC.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Calaveron posted:

I just love how one day Nintendo decided big band jazz would officially be their musical genre.

I love it too. The soundtracks have been getting better and better recently.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

How the gently caress is Other M $50 anywhere? It's basically $10 or less everywhere I've seen it, both online and in stores.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Random Stranger posted:

Pre-ordered. One of my worst video game purchases in recent memory.

I did this too and regretted it later.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah the room mini-Kraid is in has the eye/teeth ceiling above him and it's the first time you hear the "suspenseful build up to a fight" song in the game so they were totally trying to make you think that was a remake of him in Metroid and Kraid himself. But because real Kraid was so visually impressive almost all of Super Metroid's marketing was based around that fight so it wasn't much of a surprise.

Having modified Super Metroid a few times I can tell you that Kraid is an rear end in a top hat to get working ingame. His body takes up an entire layer of its own, with his head and arm rendered with large sprites, he cannot be moved from his room because so much behind-the-scenes pointer stuff needs to be done to get him to function properly. The room itself is a pain to modify in an meaningful way because the game's editor doesn't display the tiles properly, and because he is so big and uses so many tiles, you need a special bit set in the door transitions in and out of his room to tell the game to stop overwriting certain universal tiles it had to replace with his graphics. Not to mention, body damage, stomach spike damage and the thrown fingernails all have different damage and vulnerability pointers.

On the other hand, I think you can get Mini-Kraid to work in pretty much any other room in the game. You can even have multiples of him in a given room because the game treats him as a normal enemy for all intents and purposes.

Video games! :science:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Amppelix posted:

You know what game has the Shinespark though

Metroid: Other M

This is actually one of the very few things I liked about Other M.

The others are mostly the nostalgia bosses power hour towards the end. They were fun to see and fight in 3D.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Probably because they are taking the time to enhance each game with savestates and remappable controls. That said, I don't know why it takes so long to do that for each game but that's my guess.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

ChaosArgate posted:

These last couple hours of waiting for my mail are going to be the wooooorst. :argh:

Just do what I'm gonna do. Have a nice night's sleep, wake up have good breakfast, go get a haircut, buy some lunch and then maybe it'll be there when you return.

If not, THEN despair.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Starhawk64 posted:

It's insanely amazing how better Smash Wii U is compared to 3DS.

While this is true, for me at least, the 3DS version will continue to see use because my brother doesn't have a WiiU and is away at college. I can smash against him at any time now and then play WiiU Smash with him when he comes home for holidays.

vvv e: Reminds me, I haven't tried that mode yet.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 23, 2014

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

RyokoTK posted:

Also be excited to pick up the surprise winner of 2014, Hyrule Warriors.

I've put a good 65 hours into the game and still haven't finished the Adventure Map, much less even started the Master Quest one and there's yet another map coming with the TP DLC.

This game has a ridiculous amount of content but you really have to be into the gameplay because there's a lot of similar stages throughout all of it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Nintendo just showed off a trailer for Mario Maker at this Game Awards 2014 thing that's going on. Looks like it now has SMB3 and SMW graphics added and there's a ton of customization. Miyamoto also mentioned that if it's popular it may become a series of its own. I don't think a trailer has gone up yet from Nintendo's Youtube.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Found it, starts around 4 minutes in.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I hope they put a few more enemies in the world because while pretty it did look a little bare.

Really hoping they put up some onscreen footage because I need to see it close up.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm almost wondering if this Zelda is some sort of intermediary title. From what we're hearing it's very open-world and sounds like a "do dungeons as you choose to do them" Zelda 1 style. There can't be much plot going on in it if that's the case. Maybe this is a smaller (though not in physical world size) Zelda game and they're working on another 3D Zelda for late in the Wii U's life more like the recent 3D Zeldas.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I guess I'm just surprised that the main 3D Zelda game of the console is coming out this soon considering the 5-year wait between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword but then again it was only 3 years between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess so I've defeated my own argument.

I'm still looking forward to whatever gets put out!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

SeANMcBAY posted:

Now start adventure mode and get the DLC. You'll be busy with it for a long long time.

Every time I boot up Hyrule Warriors I am amazed at how much content I still haven't done. It's been a blast though, because I've been playing a good majority of my time with it with a friend in co-op. I still probably won't be finished with what I have by the time the Majora's Mask DLC comes out.

Basically, if you don't mind some repetition in the fighting, Hyrule Warriors is one of the best value games on the Wii U right now. I'm pushing 75 hours on it and probably have double that left to do.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Which is a really boring setup for any games post-Fusion because there's a bunch of interesting ways the story could go if she retained her Metroid DNA and immunity. Metroid-related powerups anyone? (Because you know the GF is still cloning them AGAIN somewhere) The other interesting place for the series to go would be dealing with the fallout of Samus basically disobeying Federation orders and blowing up an entire planet and one of their major research space stations. I doubt they would just hand-wave something like that, even with her reputation.

Then there's also the possibility of exploring whatever Retro was hinting at in the 100% ending of Prime 3. We still have no clue what that spaceship chasing after her in the end scene was. I guess we'll only know if Retro does another Metroid.

One way or another, I want another Metroid game. It's my favorite series and romhacks can only hold me so long (because I've played almost all of them. :( )

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ultigonio posted:

Stealth sections have a place in plenty of games that consist of maneuvering some sort of character (platformers, first person games, etc.), provided they're done with good reason, and I'd say that "When you get your stuff back you feel awesome and can blast space pirates like it ain't no thang" is a pretty good reason.

That's why the item collection music and subsquent Chozodia theme are significantly more triumphant than the rest of the music in Zero Mission when you finally get the fully powered suit. It's a good feeling.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Quick question, if you buy Bayonetta 1/2 digitally, do you get digital deluxe promotion points for both games and if so, how many for each?

I'm wondering if buying one and getting the other causes a situation like how the free game from Mario Kart 8 gave you points worth the full purchase price of the game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well I needed 170 more points to get a DDP code so I bought Captain Toad. I'll probably pick up Bayonetta 1/2 sometime early next year.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's only on the Wii Shop Channel through the Wii Mode on your console but World of Goo is a joy of a puzzler to play and has very easy to learn mechanics and co-op.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Just letting people know there's a 10 Coin survey on Amiibo on Club Nintendo that's good until the 18th. Took only a few minutes to do and hey, free 10 coins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ultigonio posted:

Holy crap, this person actually got to meet Shigeru Miyamoto and Bill Trinen. I'm honestly a little bit stunned that Nintendo of America managed to get NCL to do this.

That's extremely cool. She got to meet Miyamoto and Bill, share her baking creations with them, got an autographed 3DS and then play games with them. Just a little bit jealous over here.

• Locked thread