Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

everyone get a load of this loser that doesn't know who Nikola Tesla is lol

David Bowie character right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The only correct home page setup.

Edit: Also acceptable.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Hmmmm is there any way to get rid of the giant text taking up screen space to tell me I'm looking at ALL INBOXES or MESSAGES? Seems kinda silly.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Weedle posted:

Scroll down slightly.

So basically I'm holding it wrong. Got it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Sock The Great posted:

When was the last time you updated your Instagram?

You should look a little closer at those.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
UPS is the loving worst, I hate that Apple insists on using them. They didn't even attempt delivery today after driving around town all day with my iPhone 8 in the back. They refuse to let me pick it up at a UPS store or the depot until they fail a delivery attempt, which they always do because the drivers slap the door tag on and run away without making any attempt to buzz into the building.

Next possible attempt will be Monday. But they drive around doing all the business deliveries first and don't even try to deliver residential packages unless there's extra time at the end of the day. So it might be till Tuesday or Wednesday till I get that magic failed attempt that lets me go pick it up. :sigh:

I probably should have just drove 4+1/2 hours to the Apple Store in Vancouver and 4+1/2 hours home rather than take my chances with UPS.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Finally got my iPhone 8 in the mail and it's awesome. The Spigen hybrid case less so. Gone are the chrome looking buttons and quality feel, now it's just a cheap junky piece of plastic same as anyone else.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
AppleCare+ doesn't cover water damage. You're not out the $99 deductible, you're out a full phone replacement.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Australians love to jerk off about their consumer protection laws much the same way Canadians do about our healthcare. It's a national sport cooking up elaborate plots to destroy consumer goods then demanding the company replace the obviously defective item.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So I bought AirPods today, but they're sitting with the receipt while I hum and haw over whether to keep them or return them. 90% of what I listen to is podcasts so the sound quality is more than fine. I'm just stuck on the price, $246 CAD after tax. The alternative is getting my Beats Solo 2 wireless repaired at a cost of $188 CAD.

Anyone want to rave about how much they love theirs a little to tip me over the edge on keeping them?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

rage-saq posted:

Use them for a day and you'll know.

I would, but Best Buy's return policy on headphones is only if they're unopened. :negative:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Thanks all, I'm sold. They scream the sort of thing I'll wince at the price tag of but once I have them I'll love them.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So a week into having AirPods I freaking love these things. Price still feels a bit high but whomever said they're the first Apple product in ages that has that "magic" was totally right.

Thanks to everyone who gave me the push to keep them.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Blind Rasputin posted:

gently caress, I'm going to have to buy some. I don't think I've ever run with cordless headphones ever. It might be awesome. There's no volume control though?

There isn't and I don't have an Apple Watch, but hitting the volume buttons through my pocket doesn't really bother me.

Always having them in the little lighter pocket in my jeans is fantastic. I find myself using them on my coffee breaks and at times when I wouldn't bother digging the old wired headphones out of my bag.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Magic Underwear posted:

ugly notch and no fingerprint scanner.

It's weird Apple couldn't just stick a fingerprint scanner on the back like that new Sarnsung.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
No idea if it's as bad for the phones but looking at Android tablets lately has been eye opening. 2/3rds of the Android tablets at BestBuy struggle to run even modest software from the Google Play store. Going down the line trying one device after the next getting choppy frame rates in a year old game with 16-bit style sprite graphics was hugely disappointing.

I'm sure at the high end Android phones/tablets are fine but midrange is a minefield of devices that can't run stuff. Every Apple device in the store runs pretty much everything in the App Store fine.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

iajanus posted:

All I want for Christmas 11.1 is the battery drain to be lessened.

Is this battery drain issue just on older devices? On my shiny new 8 the battery life is ridiculously improved vs my old 6s. I used to come home from work with maybe 20% left, now I come home with 70%+.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah the Podcast app is a total dumpster fire now. The old version wasn't great but it wasn't bad enough to inspire me to consider an alternative.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Blind Rasputin posted:

The awful emoticons show up huge af to people on Android. Do they look normal to people on iOS?

Android phones show up huge af to people. Do they look normal to Android people?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah I gasped out loud at work when I saw the $1319 CAD price on the X. $249 CAD for AppleCare+ plus taxes the cheapest iPhone X is $1756.16 CAD or $1409.83 USD.

That's a lotta money for the second best iPhone of 2017.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Anybody buy an iPhone 8 online recently? How accurate was the delivery window?

It was delivered by UPS so the whole process was a shitshow. Friday they were supposed to attempt delivery but UPS doesn’t bother with residential deliveries until all the business ones are done so they didn’t even attempt it. Then it was the weekend. Monday they snuck up and slapped a “you’re not home” notice without even attempting to buzz my apartment. Tuesday I was able to go to the UPS store and pick it up.

I could have paid for their premium service so I could request pickup at the UPS store on the Friday. If you don’t pay the ransom fee you have to wait for them to attempt what they call delivery before you can request in store pickup.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Anyone want to hype their wireless charger of choice? I’ve been eyeing a bunch but couldn’t decide on what to get.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Yikes dude. UPS can be weird sometimes. I was more curious about how long it took for an order to ship vs what the website said. Currently they're saying 27th-2nd and I was wondering how accurate that is.

Oh Apple is always on the ball with getting items shipped promptly. If UPS was halfway competent items would easily arrive on time.

UPS is just a dumpster fire of a company. What I described is probably the single best experience I’ve ever had with UPS, all my previous ones were far worse.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

carry on then posted:

Are they charging now? I haven't paid them anything and I just use the website to change delivery to the UPS store for anything requiring a signature a day or so before it actually arrives.

Could be a Canada vs US thing but you had to sign up for their premium service to request delivery to the UPS store before they attempt delivery for the first time.

They have all sorts of weird little rules apparently. I talked with some of their employees about past orders and they often have to put the package on the delivery truck knowing for certain there’s no chance they’ll have time to attempt delivery on residential packages.

Anyways, getting into major derail territory. I wish Apple would ship with anybody else and in other places apparently they do. My area gets stuck with UPS.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Anyone else occasionally get text notification sounds that cut in and out? On my iPhone 8 a couple times a day I notice the notification sound crackles and sounds distorted. It's not all the time, maybe one in fifty or so.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Yep. 6s on 11

Ok cool, then it's an iOS 11 thing that will eventually get fixed.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Curious if such a thing exists, but has anyone found a credit card sized Qi wireless battery pack? I know there were a few corded ones roughly the size of a half dozen credit cards stacked, but I can't find any signs of a wireless one yet.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

I posted a few months ago asking whether these were worth it, I suppose it’s time to pay the advice I got forward.

AirPods are the best Apple product in a decade. Absolutely fantastic in every way except the price and that sale helps address the price issue.

Having easy hassle free access to headphones in the lighter pocket of my jeans is the sort of thing that changed my day to day habits. In the past I couldn’t be bothered to dig out headphones from my locker, disentangle the cord and plug them in for a 15 minute coffee break. Now I find myself listening to music and podcasts on my coffee break daily.

Call quality is shockingly good as well. I made a call in heavy wind and rain walking along the highway with heavy traffic next to me with the hood on my hoodie up and the person on the other end said it was as clear as if I was sitting in the room next to them. Whatever noise cancelling magic Apple does is ridiculously effective.

Worth every penny and I paid full price for them.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

BoyBlunder posted:

I hate reading posts like these because I have weird shaped ears and the AirPods hurt them :(

Yeah it sucks that like 20% of the population can’t use AirPods. Hopefully the competition will be forced to step up their game and make a comparably convenient product.

Apple really hit on what sucks about most Bluetooth earbuds, pairing is awful. Making that smooth as silk, adding great microphones/noise cancelling and the charging case make the whole experience a dream.

When Apple are at their best it’s at recognizing the real issues with a device instead of the popular perception. The average person cares less about a slightly improved rating on Head-Fi than convenience and usability. Instead of chasing tiny improvements in sound quality they made headphones you actually want to use.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

MrBigglesworth posted:

I have the Pleson stand for my nightstand. Set and forget it. No loving with cables, lay it down and its charging. Perfect for over night or when you know you dont need your phone for a bit. I hate HATE HATE loving with the cable to plug it in, and this reduces wear and tear on the port.

That looks like exactly what I want, but $70 on Amazon.ca with $15 shipping from some third party reseller instead of $21.45 USD on Amazon.com. Bleh.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

MrBigglesworth posted:

The gently caress? How much is it to ship from Oklahoma to where you are? If it aint too bad I can buy it for you and you can paypal me or some poo poo.

I can order it from Amazon.com, they'll just ding me with duty at the border on it for importing it. Or I can wait for a restock on Amazon.ca/an alternative that's similarly priced. Private sellers tend to try to charge absurd prices on stuff in Canada. $100 for a $25 USD item is common.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

The Gillman posted:

Check out this one from amazon Canada https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075XCC6YX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I‘ve has it for a few weeks and it works fairly well

Sounds good. Threw it on my wish list for later. I’ve got to put an order in on Amazon for a bunch of odds and ends anyway.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Question Mark Mound posted:

The only thing that would make me upgrade from my recently purchased AirPods would be a touch slider to let me adjust the volume without getting my phone out of my pocket.

I'm surprised a third party accessory maker hasn't made some sort of volume rocker you can attach to a wristwatch or FitBit for those of us who don't want an Apple Watch.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Got AirPods for Christmas. Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo. It’s been a while since I’ve had something that feels so futuristic. It’s classic Apple.

One of us! One of us!

They really are that good. Whomever originally posted AirPods are the best Apple product in a decade was spot on.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Pivo posted:

Play pause on the right. Siri on the left. Never use Siri.

Same, although I use Siri to place voice calls. I should probably switch it to skip track, but I don't use that very often either.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

jaegerx posted:

Case talk. Go naked like Steve jobs intended.

AppleCare+ is the best case.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Apple Music is ok, but getting it for $5 CAD a month is fantastic. If you have an old student card/email around it's worth looking into.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Something Offal posted:

drat, the Facetime bug is entering the mainstream and will start getting associated with the brand like Samsung's battery fires.

It’s no big deal. It’s not like the POTUS carries an unsecured iPhone around with him every day...

...oh. Well poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Endless Mike posted:

He doesn't need to be bugged since he just blabs everything to whoever he talks to.

Probably true, I’m more thinking about the hopefully somewhat competent government officials he has conversations with that he doesn’t understand.