Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Don't they pretty much just need to square off the sides and get rid of the camera bump to bring the design full circle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

I reinstalled LinkedIn for the first time in months and it logged me in without any credentials.

I do not want iOS storing credentials for a bunch of old apps. Never mind the security concern, that’s a bunch of orphan files cluttering things up.

Do you also believe in bit rot?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Endless Mike posted:

If they gently caress up your phone doing a service, they will give you a new (refurbished) phone. They will always always always ask you to back it up to iCloud before handing it over. Source: they hosed up my phone doing a service (touchscreen didn't work after reassembly).

Much better than the third party AASP I had to go to when my iPhone 5's battery went. They somehow managed to make it so that the lock button sent the same event as the home button, so I couldn't sleep the thing without turning on assistive touch or whatever it's called. When I came in to get the phone, the guy asked me "so uh, did it do that before?"

I had to send in my phone under the lock switch recall program to even get it fixed.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Khablam posted:

all the competition work with Apple music.

In what way?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Endless Mike posted:

As far as I'm aware, every other talking cylinder at least has Bluetooth (maybe not the Cortana one?). Sonos has whatever protocol they use, and are adding AirPlay 2 at some point this year. You don't get voice controls, though. But going by that, every audio streaming service can use AirPlay, which you can target at a HomePod.

Yeah, that's what I thought. When I hear "compatibility" I hope they have some special provision for AM but no one but Apple does.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

iajanus posted:

Note: I would post screenshots but the Awful app just gives errors any time I try to post photos so idk. I've posted it multiple times in the app thread to no avail so have given up on it (this is using multiple phones and after exhaustive troubleshooting).

It's the end of the month so we've probably run through our collective Imgur allotment

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

BottleKnight posted:

Day 3 of owning the iPhone 8 Plus and it's already crashing/hanging. At first I just saw a black screen with the tiny white spinner indefinitely, until about 30 minutes later it rebooted and got stuck on the white screen with the apple logo. Did the iTunes update thing, didn't work, now I'm restoring to factory settings.

Is this generally just a software issue or should I return the phone? Worried it's a TouchID issue or something and it'll never really go away permanently.

Yeah, that sounds defective. A replacement should be easy to get. Do you have an Apple Store you can take it to and demonstrate the problem?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Enigma89 posted:

Anyone here with an iPhone X that is willing to help me out? I just need someone in the US to screenshot a certain google search results page to make sure that my company's ads are working on an iPhone X. I only have access to pre-X phones so I can't test myself and really trying to save myself to run to the nearest apple store.

Please PM me it will seriously only take 2 minutes.

I take it you don’t have a Mac with Xcode available? There’s an iPhone X simulator you could use.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

iOS used to group notifications by app instead of by day, but it never collapsed them down into a single top level entry, no.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Pivo posted:

Screw both of those. I use these guys: https://www.tuffmail.com Been with them for 12 years now, never raise my prices, always give me more storage when I ask for it, downtime is very very very rare, fantastic spam filtering although it takes a bit of work to configure, and they're in Canada so at least any hypothetical government snooping is done under sane laws.

Judging by the site design: how's life in 2006?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I kinda wish I'd gotten a @mac.com email. Shorter than @icloud I guess.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

BottleKnight posted:

Has iOS gotten worse at links between apps or am I misremembering? I don’t remember having to hit extra confirmation windows just to use Facebook to sign into an app (app -> browser -> “open Facebook” -> Facebook -> app) and its kind of annoying when I use the google app to open a link in chrome and it has to reload the page it just had loaded. Maybe I use my phone differently than I did when I had an iPhone in 2014 but this is more annoying than I remember.

It’s to prevent hijacking. You’ll get used to it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yep, and for our $1000 all we got was the best phone they've ever made. Bastards.

if you paid that much for a galaxy note 8 you were ripped off.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

iajanus posted:

a decade ahead of iOS in functionality.

All of Android is.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Pendent posted:

Hello thread. I'm strongly considering upgrading my S7 Edge to a iPhone X when I move carriers here in a few days. I don't really care about the typical bells and whistles that people get so worked up about like bezels (or lack thereof)- the entire reason I'm considering the upgrade is that I prefer Apple's approach to both personal privacy and to security compared to Google's. On that topic I've been wondering ever since it was announced if there's a way to press some combination of keys to quickly disable the face ID feature on these new phones. I think it looks great for day to day use but given how much of my life lives on my phone the last thing I want is for someone to shove my phone in my face to unlock it without my consent.

https://www.imore.com/how-quickly-disable-face-id-iphone-x

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Endless Mike posted:

In Settings -> Emergency SOS, if you turn Auto Call off, this won't happen. (Though it won't auto call 911 if you think that might be something you want.)

"Siri, send an SOS immediately"

"Ok. Here's 'Sending Out an SOS' by The Police"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

hey guys I don’t own an iPhone or anything but I just wanted to hang out and talk about why Android is better

Welcome.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

~Coxy posted:

:golfclap:

Although the song is called "Message in a Bottle" and Siri isn't smart enough to work out what you mean from a lyric like that.

lmao google lied to me when i searched for the song name by that lyric

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I seriously hope the next iPhone has a better showing than this. Brutal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY4a0IPXotA

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The point is that if the legendary Apple vertical integration can't beat a Samsung, it's time to wrap up the whole operation--it has failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

American McGay posted:

God bless you people spending used car money on a new phone.

while people suffer and die in a hurricane, no less