Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Not sure where else to discuss this, but apparently Apple is getting a 0.15% cut of every purchase made with Apple Pay. It's going to count on people going through the hassle of getting their cards set up, but that's an incredible amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Feenix posted:

What's up with Slow Mo video mode like, starting in normal speed then arbitrarily choosing when to slow down a few seconds later?

Must be an algorithm that detects motion within the video. It's adjustable after the fact, though.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

That's a real bummer if Beats is being shut down. I switched over to it from Spotify and like it so much more. The catalog is smaller but they actually do a wonderful job of curating. Albums fall under albums, EPs are appropriately categorized, etc. The library feature on the mobile app is way ahead of Spotify's as well.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

God drat, we're on iOS 8 now and the iPhone is still so loving bad at knowing when to let go of a weak wi-fi signal.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Your phone being able to connect with a weak wifi signal seems like something you'd want. :confused:

Not when it's so weak that it's functionally useless. It's basically me leaving my home in the morning, yet still seeing a Wi-Fi signal when I'm a quarter mile away. The phone sees a signal but it's so slow so as to be essentially a lost connection. Annoying as poo poo

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

It's a short drive out of my apartment complex. Just wish the phone were better about prioritizing the LTE signal.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I just got my iPhone 6+ and love it except for one little issue:

Anybody else get the error "this accessory may not be supported"? What could be causing this?

Are you using a cheap lightning cable?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Being smug about your poo poo not breaking is hilarious. Reminds me of my GameFAQs days as a kid where anybody mentioning a PS2 disc read error would be followed up by fifty people screaming "MINE'S WORKING FINE YOU MUST BE AN IDIOT BABY :smuggo: "

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I hope Apple gets the new Photos app for Mac right. Using iPhoto in conjunction with Photo Stream on iOS is so loving frustrating with things that stay saved on the Mac end despite having been deleted from the phone (and ostensibly the Photo Stream) on iOS.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

Those things were always for weirdos anyways.

Yeah, to each their own and all, but I always thought it was kinda goofy to be carrying around an antique book phone case/wallet.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Anyone having an issue with Spotlight where you enter a multi-word sesrch and then when it ends up in Safari, one or more of the words are truncated from the search? Like if I were searching for "brown dog fox", when Safari loads up the search it ends up as just searching for "brown"? It's been happening a lot lately and is annoying.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Spotlight is a piece of poo poo. Decides seemingly at random when to allow you the option to "search on web" when you've entered text. Sometimes just sits there and does nothing.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I find that surprising, since it works like poo poo on my iPhone 6.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Oh definitely, I'm just hoping it works with an iPhone 6 still locked to AT&T.

If you try it, please report back as I'd be interested in the service as well.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Random feature of Apple Music that I wasn't anticipating: integration with other third-party apps. Stuff like Genius and WhoSampled previously only worked with things that were in your music library, if you were listening on Spotify you were out of luck. Now it works with stuff you're streaming on Apple Music as well. Minor bonus but pretty cool.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Apparently there's a new feature to automatically switch to cellular when Wi-Fi connectivity is weak. I hope it works well, that is easily my biggest iOS pet peeve.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Agreed. I don't care how much cpu power or ram is in my phone, but I jump from safari to answer a text and jump back in 10 seconds later - it shouldn't be reloading.

Yeah it's loving terrible. I'm already pretty locked in but if they fix this bullshit and the whole "hold onto Wi-Fi for dear life even when the signal is dead" thing I'll be a customer for life.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I think it's pretty obvious that they skewed the rose gold color toward pink so that they could sell a pink phone without calling it "pink", which I assume they feel is a color name that's "beneath" their flagship device. They could have made a more copper rose gold and deliberately chose not to.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol forever if you jailbreak your phone

also all of your home screens are wrong and it is really bothering me :v:

Ahh. So close but sorry, Safari belongs in Music's spot.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've been getting this on occasion with my 6, so it's not just isolated to the 5C.

Same on my 6. I guess they shortened the time that you need to hold the button down to activate Siri.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Taima posted:

or I guess you could take your phone out but doesn't that defeat the point)

While this is completely separate from how I feel about AirPods, I don't think it defeats the point. I don't mind changing the volume on my phone typically, I think the point is that they're wireless so you don't have to worry about the cord catching on things.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Only jailbreak feature I miss from my iPhone 4 days is the one that gave me a three second window to cancel sending a text if I wanted to. Never had to worry about autocorrect typos back in the day.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I'm pretty disappointed that TouchID is going to be removed from iPhone X, as it has become a pretty seamless part of the unlocking process for me. I hope FaceID ends up being similarly easy to use, but I think I'll miss being able to unlock as my phone is being pulled from my pocket.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Virtue posted:

I'm seeing 56.16 for 24 months which is about 200 more than the 1149 base

That's because AppleCare+ is $199 for iPhone X.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/12/16297886/applecare-plus-iphone-x-199-price-increase

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Dang man check your emails :stonk:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This nicely sums up all my concerns about FaceID, even if it does unlock quickly:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/face-id-on-the-iphone-x-is-probably-going-to-suck/

Probably will just go with the 8+ until they re-add touchID to the X2 or solve these problems.

I like how buried at the bottom of the article he mentions that most people will just opt to enter a PIN. This is (in my experience) already the case with Touch ID. Most people just flat out can't be bothered to set it up.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

buglord posted:

I feel that the higher up you are on the design and marketing chain, the more likely it is that you’re huffing your own farts.

Not disagreeing, but this is the case at pretty much any company, period.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Forgot how much easier the app is than the website.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Does anyone know what the maximum charge wattage of "Fast Charge" is? I'm going to stick with my iPad 12W charger for now, but I'm curious as to how high you could go with a USB-C/Lightning charger.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Back when your iPhone was most useful as 1. a phone and 2. an iPod, I think full screen album art made sense. I like it much better as a small icon now when there’s a bunch of other stuff going on

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

One minor new annoyance (to me at least) is that adjusting ringer volume with buttons within the sounds menu actually plays the ring sound now. Makes sense logically but I liked being able to turn up the volume without it actually making a noise.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Pivo posted:

so just use the volume buttons? even with mute off, when no audio is playing, volume up/down changes ringer without previewing your ring

No, that's exactly the problem, it plays the ring now when you use the volume buttons, even when your phone is on silent/vibrate. Before it only previewed the sound when you used the slider on the touchscreen.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

The Science Goy posted:

Here we go, I just got my 8+ set up and am in the process of transferring everything from my old Moto X 2nd gen, all that fun stuff.

As someone who hasn't used iOS in years and has never owned an iPhone, is there a way to set cellular data limits? I found that very helpful with Android, in case I started streaming audio and didn't realize I wasn't connected to wifi,etc.

Also,what was the non-garbage password manager that was recommended somewhere in the last 5-50 pages? I wasn't able to find it after a few minutes of quick searching.

Yep, if you go to Settings->Cellular you can get pretty granular about what apps are allowed to use cellular data.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

MrBond posted:

Depends on how much time you have. I still charge my iPhone using a 2.5W charger (e.g. standard USB2 power) that I got at the very beginning of iPhone ownership and it works perfectly fine for charging overnight. If you're in any kind of hurry though, probably not good.

Do you do this just for nostalgia's sake? Why wouldn't you use the 5W that comes with new phones?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. At work I just plug a cable into my laptop docking station and the pass-through wattage seems to be pretty decent.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Minidust posted:

huh, even though this works in my favor (SE) I feel like it's kinda bad for them to be using long-touch and 3D Touch interchangeably. Counterproductive if they wanna teach your uncles/grandmas/etc the Correct Apple Way to do things moving forward.

I think it's intended to be a way to train people to interact with interface elements so they're used to the concept of "pressing through" (by way of long press as opposed to tapping and raising finger off screen), that way they're used to it when they eventually end up on a 3D Touch device.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I thought the 8+ would be a little cumbersome but wanted the dual camera. Adapted to the larger size within a few hours.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I just had "For" and "Love" autocorrected to be capitalized last night, neither of which is anywhere in my contacts.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Streaming services let you download music for offline listening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Dugong posted:

iOS 11 bad. My 6s keeps freezing and turning into a furnace.

Well that makes no thermodynamic sense :downsrim: