Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
YOHO (you only have once). :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

awesomebrah posted:

So wait people spent all of the last standard season bitching about revelation and now they want Fact or Fiction in standard?

F&F for Modern, and having it in Standard would be a consequence.

Alas, F&F is backbreaking with as powerful as cards are.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BaronVonVaderham posted:

At Modern last week someone had apparently never seen Sundering Titan before. The room got really quiet while he and his opponent had their back and forth going over what the card did. I wish I could remember exactly what was said but it was really comical. Sundering Titan is a dick.

I keep one in MUD at all times and it's never let me down. It even shares a type with Lodestone Golem. :allears:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Yawgmoth posted:

Still a better currency than bitcoins.

Polluted Delta has an actual use backing its value: It can get Volcanic Island or Bayou. :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Spiderdrake posted:

It was What a Judas, who loudly declared that "he wouldn't let them" among other things.

The average tcgplayer price for Bloodstained Mire hit $14.99 so Atlas has buckled under the weight. :ohdear:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

Bonus knock against enchantment lands: being broken in Legacy Enchantress decks.
Trust me, it loving needs 'em. Enchantress hasn't been relevant in two years.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

Did glittering wish just get banned?

I can't access magic.wizards.com to even tell you either way. All I know is the Gatherer still says it's Modern-legal. :shrug:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The real problem is I was checking out Maro's KTK card stories and the site broke before I could get to part 2. :argh:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Sorin and Siege Rhino aren't going to be multiformat all-stars in the way that Snapcaster and JTMS are, because they cost 4 and aren't blue.

They'll probably see some eternal play but something with as specific of a mana cost as Siege Rhino ain't going to find enough homes to spike. Solemn Visitor has to compete with Lord of Innistrad for the 4 drop Sorin occasionally played in Stoneblade decks slot.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Yo dude.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

Ugin's Nexus has to do with extra turns, I think that by itself automatically makes it mythic these days.

Magosi, the Waterveil, Search the City, and Time Sieve are rares that grant extra turns that were introduced after the mythic rarity. Still, 9 mythic rares do deal with extra turns, and it's never been below rare.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zorak posted:

Siege Rhino doesn't care if you've got removal, even if you remove it you're basically not outracing the deck it's in. I'm not sure what kind of deck could be built to actually combat it at this point.

Blue/Black mill obviously. Siege Rhino can't beat down a Wall of Frost. :getin:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Xeom posted:

Can someone explain to me why a lot of red aggro decks are including 'Eidolon of the Great Revel'? It would seem to hurt the red player more than anything else.

Play it at the proper time and a lot of decks can't do one goddamn thing to it without shocking themselves. You're the guy on the offensive so taking 2 damage to drop a rabblemaster isn't nearly as big of a deal as the person getting punched repeatedly.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Symphonie posted:

Looks like the black Commander deck has leaked. The Legendary reprint is Drana, and there's a land that shuts off your opponent's hexproof and shroud, which quite frankly for me might be the best card to come out of Commander 2014 because gently caress some of my local decks.

Oh good I can interact with Narset in ways besides "have Thrun".

This also means Narset can interact with Thrun in ways besides "have Council's Judgement".

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Exactly. I see cool cards like Feldon and get all excited before remembering that it's only playable in legacy or commander and realize I will never get to use said cool cards.

He might be playable in Imperial Painter, since he can make recruiters and painters and Jayas off of dead ones.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
At most the Stoneforge Mystics choose to look exactly like Nahiri as a sign of respect and admiration, or something.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

Helm of Obedience combo.

The only decks I've seen use this are Rest in Pieces and Enchantress.

Go with Rest in Pieces. It's put up results in the last two years. :shepicide:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Wadjamaloo posted:

It would still be dominant. During the period it was legal things were so crazy that burn was running 4x copies. You ran mental misstep just so you could counter your opponents mental misstep.

7/8 decks of a top eight had four mental missteps.

The eighth played no 1-cmc spells.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

Maybe in Narset EDH but hey.

Snapcaster Mage isn't a dragon! :confused:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chill la Chill posted:

Nice. Source?

This would be bad even fore MTGSalv so, yeah, source?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

a dozen swans posted:

What do you all play, and why?

In Legacy I play MUD and Enchantress, I guess because what I like is to make my opponents look at my cool moves while they can't do anything about it.

French Commander is a Surrak Dragonclaw-led Temur Goodstuff list. Uncounterable dragons and Kiki-Jiki combos never felt so good.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Not in legacy. I love playing against goblins in legacy.

Goblin... Goblin goblin goblin....

Engineered plague naming Goblin.

....huh....

You let them get the mana for Engineered Plague. It should be more like Vial, Goblin, ports and wastelands, more ports, more wastelands, maybe a goblin.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chintzy as hell but god I love that line. I wish I had the ability to spare $350 on a piece of cardboard like this.

More on point, I could post nearly every Orzhov card from Guildpact in here.

This trio of flavor texts is amazing.

I'd also be remiss to not mention The Love Song of Night and Day because I unironically love it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Two words appended to the end of a quote make it all that much better.

-Orange Fluffy Sheep, last words

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bonus posted:

Which guys do you cards like? Do you have any decks?
Nah playing the game is too much work. I just try to imagine scenarios in which I'd ever use Prophecy cards.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Froghammer posted:

Mageta the Lion is a haymaker and a half if you can get him online in EDH.

Considering the trouble I have keeping a goddamn Thrun online I don't think he'd last.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

It's a drat shame that all of the talk about, uh, EDH??? is getting derailed.

Scuttling Doom Engine in Scrap Savant: yay or nay? I like the Doom Engine but my brother says I'm overrating it.

Cathodion consistently never got to use its effect for anything and was just a 3/3 for 3. I put in Etched Champion over it iirc. Or was it Scarecrone? I dunno, three-drop artifact dude is a pretty vague slot.

Is 9 nonbasics too many for a Price of Progress? Considering half the deck is colorless I can load it with utility lands pretty easily.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I hope everyone's "voice" for my posts includes a lot of baaas and gaining one life on upkeep.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Madmarker posted:

It was a very good part, but would she have even been run in monoblue if she wasnt also a conditional 5/5?

Magic discussion has a terrible habit of trying to distill cards into single elements even though a lot of good cards are a sum of their parts i.e. Thassa is not just a scry 1, but a way to get damage in and sometimes a beatstick, and no one of those is as good as all of those.

I'm not sure if it's a consequence of trying to imagine if a card is still functional in a worse-case scenario or what.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Applebees posted:

I'm leaning towards fake, because it should say "Ugin, the Spirit Dragon deals 3 damage to target creature or player." The second ability also doesn't seem like something Wizards would do.

Planeswalkers seem to always refer to themselves by the card's full name.

It's only legendary creatures the whole no title past the first thing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's not like abolishing the reserved list activates ancient leylines that cause several thousand volcanic islands and black lotuses to manifest from the mists of time and immediately into people's hands.

It's also not like Polluted Delta and Flooded Strand dropping from $100+ to $15 has caused people to die poison deaths irl.

The reserved list is outdated and binds the hands of Wizards even though they loving know how to print things. MMA's small print run did show that they can add to a card pool, which expands the player base, without causing single prices to enter into a death spiral.

Like, what reasoning is there behind the reserved list anymore that isn't arbitrary or implausibly catastrophic?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

Hasbro told Wizards point-blank "When we, Hasbro, tell our customers that their collectible item will never be reissued and will hold value, that word is stronger than oak. Deal with it."

I am willing to accept Hasbro is doing something dumb because they make no sense as an explanation.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The answer for triggers is clearly not only to remind your opponent, but to remind the people in games you are observing, and give the DCI the means and authority to enforce this lethally. So your opponent misses their Nyx-fleeced Ram trigger and you don't remind them? Sleeping with the fishes! Guy next to you doesn't remember sulfuric vortex? They and you get it! If you, Johnny Streamwatcher, see a missed trigger and don't immediately use every means at your disposal to inform the players? It's curtains for you! Just sitting around while your friends are playing magic and one misses a trigger? You better get three coffins ready!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
During controller's upkeep, new heads may be grown for RRR apiece.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Equilibrium posted:

Wait, Ashiok isn't a lady?

Ashiok is asexual, agender, a mill engine.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'm thankful for efficiently costed creatures who can carry a gamestate after the last three you cast got countered or immediately removed. I have frequent need to have a singular efficient guy keep momentum going and having badasses like Polukranos or Stormbreath Dragon makes this possible.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chill la Chill posted:

So is there a psychological disorder that makes people cheat similar to compulsive liars and kleptomaniacs? If so, is Alex being treated for it?

I don't think compulsive liars routinely game for thousands and thousands of dollars.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Veyrall posted:

Who are these people? Gordian knot, obviously.

I think Ozymandius got into card games.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Now that mana burn is gone, I don't have to be careful with lunatic ramping either. Cast cloud of faeries, untap serra's sanctum and this tropical island with three auras. It's more fun being able to ramp to hell.

So, yeah, besides it not mattering in 99% of games, the removal of mana burn makes that remainder more fun instead of less. There's, like, exactly one situation in which it ever mattered, named Spectral Searchlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't agree that out-of-game intelligence is not part of the game. Reading the metagame is clearly within that realm.

I have a sophisticated set of cameras secretly installed in the game area feeding info on my opponent's hand & library directly into my cybereye.

What!? Show me in the comprehensive rules it mentions cybereyes! That's right! Nowhere! Checkmate, clearly one player should have knowledge of what cards the others are playing the others cannot access because they sucked enough dicks in the back room or whatever.

• Locked thread