Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I'm looking for recommendations on an iPad note-taking app. I'd really love something like the Microsoft Courier concept from a few years ago, where you can combine typed text, handwritten notes and (crucially) clippings from a web browser into a "scrapbook" style format. Huge bonus points if it can sync across multiple devices and invite different people, but that's not a dealbreaker.

I'm thinking of use cases like planning ideas for house improvements (browsing for furniture ideas in Safari and saving snippets along with a link back to the web site), wedding planning (venues and caterers along with notes about them), sketching garden redesigns, etc. Basically I've suddenly become an adult, but want to play with my shiny new iPad Pro + Pencil along the way.

Any ideas? I've searched for note-taking app recommendations but not found anything that really hits the mark on clipping from websites in a nice UI (and lots of these recommendation lists are years old).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

priznat posted:

Definitely check out microsoft OneNote.

I tried this (as my fiancé uses it heavily for work anyway) and it was a shitshow of UI bugs that put me off within a couple of minutes. But yeah, I should give it another fairer shot.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

The gmail app has ads at the top that are the same shape / size as emails and they kinda look like emails.

Like this

Mine has never once shown me an ad, let alone a stealth email-styled ad. And I’ve been using the Gmail app for years...

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

XBenedict posted:

Do you have a free account or a GSuites account? GSuites doesn't show the ads.

Free account. It’s probably this:

withak posted:

I think it's only if you use the automatic categories tabs. The ads show up on the promotions tab.

As I don’t use any of the auto-categorisation features.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

pzy posted:

Anyone have a VNC client recommendation? I used to use iTeleport but they just hosed it all up.

Have you tried RealVNC’s VNC Viewer? (Full disclosure: I’m responsible for it)

Froist fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 26, 2019

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m not sure if this is what you're asking about but in Reeder 3 it always pulled articles for me when I opened the app so it's been working for a while?
Not the OP, but I think they mean pulling the full text of articles where the RSS feed only contains a short summary. E.g. Kotaku only gives the first paragraph (sometimes not even that), and in Reeder 3 I have to click the story title to read the content.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I really don't see how this was approved as a separate v4.0 because functionally it's v3.x with features taken away :(
If you mean “how it was approved [by Apple]”, I think you’re really expecting too much of the app review process. It’s essentially a different product, and in review they’re not going to compare against other products (apps) you offer.

On the one hand I feel like I should buy this just to support the developer (as a developer myself). It’s an app I’ve used on phone, iPad and Mac literally every day for years. But if it’s really a step back when the current app meets my needs, that’s a hard principal to support.

If it solves the full-text problem above I’m instantly sold.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I meant I didn’t get how the dev/dev team could look at this and think “yep, this is a new version, let’s ship and charge for it.” I’m not against paying for upgrades but it’s gotta be an upgrade, you know?
Gotcha. Yeah it can be a hard sell if it's just an under the hood rewrite, which takes effort but doesn't immediately benefit the user. As I say, given the usage I get out of this app I'm still slightly tempted just to support it.

Boris Galerkin posted:

As for the full text problem, if I understand correctly you mean like how Ars Technica does this?

If so the answer is no. Still gotta click read more which opens the in app browser.

E: just subscribed to kotaku to check since you mentioned them specifically

Thanks for the trip report - that's what I meant, shame to hear it's still the same.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there a way to tell Apple News that I really don't give a poo poo about royal baby stuff for "breaking news" notifications? I try to mark them as Disliked when they happen, but I assume the breaking news notifications are just a blanket thing and don't tie in to those heart-markers.

Pretty sure I only usually get about 1 News notification on my watch every 2-3 months, and I've had 3 in the last couple of days about this baby.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Does tweetbot still not show the number of likes/replies/retweets of a tweet on the feed? What a dumb design decision.

Does the official app clutter up the feed with like/reply/retweet counts? What a dumb design decision.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh well that’s something I hadn’t considered and is enough to get me to stick with 1Password. The fact that if my phone was dead and I didn’t have my laptop with me and I’m fully locked out is lovely.

If you have 2FA on your AppleID (which you should!), you probably wouldn’t be able to access iCloud anyway if your devices are dead.

I’m a legacy pay-once 1Password user, but the more I think about this the more I think I should jump to the subscription model so I can access my credentials through the cloud in a case like this..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have 2FA on my Apple ID but it’s like the worse implementation ever or am I doing something wrong?

(Someone please tell me this is not normal and how to fix it :v:)

All I can tell you is that if you’re doing it wrong, so am I. I’ve had exactly the same thought process - especially as the first stage in the flow is an “Allow/Deny” prompt.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

So something weird just happened - I'm on an iPhone SE

I have cellular data turned off for most of my apps

I launched Tinder by mistake earlier when I wasn't on wifi - and I was surprised to see new matches pop up along with my messages (there were no photos). I double-checked my settings and saw that cellular data was in fact turned off for Tinder.

So then I start browsing through my messages on Tinder and check my cellular data again, and somehow the app is tunneling through my System Services and using up data!

How is that possible?

I saw a tweet thread from Marco Arment yesterday, basically saying that Overcast is being blamed for an iOS bug in a similar fashion (using cellular data when it should be disabled). Apparently it goes back years.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, that works. Thanks. I was hoping to find something with a wider variety of sounds and now I can wake up to cold sweats with the datacenter soundscape.

Or apparently fall asleep to the sounds of a medieval battle. Easy purchase.

There’s also noizio that I’ve always used and looks a lot cleaner than that screenshot. Works fine for me (also on 13b).

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

priznat posted:

Has the iOS 13 beta hit master yet or whatever so I can update now? Or does it look like release will get pushed to after the event this week?

The gold master release never hits before the PR event for the next phone. It will likely be available on Tuesday evening for IPSW installs, and released to OTA updates a week or two later.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

IUG posted:

The kick in the balls is when you do buy an app (for me it's Twitteriffic, 1Password, and Reader that come to mind), but then a year later they come out with a "new" version and want you to buy it again.

I honestly can't tell if this post is meant ironically.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The Dave posted:

Yeah I've been getting pretty annoyed since 13 because it sure seems like 8 out of 10 times when I get in my car Overcast doesn't start autoplaying. I don't even know if that's related but it's annoying nonetheless.

What setup should this work for? I’ve been running the 13 betas since June, and only bought a car with CarPlay since then, so never experienced CarPlay pre-13. Mine has never auto-started, but I’d like it to..

It at least auto-stops the moment I unplug, which I didn’t get with my old (dodgy) Bluetooth setup and always missed a chunk of a podcast if I didn’t manually stop first.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Google sucks.

Also speaking of google why does google sheets drop out of memory so quickly? I can have a sheet open lock my phone and when I come back I need to reload the drat program.

iOS 13 has changed some internals of how apps can run in the background, and at the same time clamped down on some aspects of you don’t do things by the book. Previously you could have got away with technically buggy code where now iOS will force-close even the active app after 30 seconds of the screen being locked.

I had the same problem in an app I’m responsible for and it was a PITA to diagnose but a very simple fix once I found the problem. I’m not surprised it might be lurking in an app the scale of Google Sheets.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

I don't know which screen size or iOS update changed it, but I definitely type an "n" instead of a space or a period when in Safari something. For example, what used to be a simple easy search of "how to buy drugs" now shows up as "howntonbuyndrugs" and on Safari it'd be "how.to.buy.drugs" which is arguably worse because then Safari things .drugs is a TLD and doesn't load anything at all. I absolutely hate it. I remember jailbreaking maybe 4 phones ago solely to get a tweak that removed this.

I do this a lot too. It’s because the URL keyboard (which the Safari address/search bar uses) adds a period key that encroaches slightly on where the space key usually extends to. So if your muscle memory is to hit the right-hand end of the space key, you end up with a period instead.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Just a stab in the dark, but did you upgrade the Reminders in MacOS to the new format? I don't think you get a choice in iOS and I'm not sure what kind of wonkiness might happen if you don't update to the new format in MacOS

You do get a choice on iOS, I’ve putting it off since 13 launched as I’ve not updated my Mac to Catalina. But I think it’s a one-shot thing; if you update iOS there’s no way to revert back.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

I'm sure there's a term for the sort of thing I'm trying to do, but damned if I know what it is.

I've got some repetitive tasks coming up and I'm wondering if there's an app that'll let me create a sort of form that's a combo check list, text entry, numerical entry type of thing. IE I have to enter a name on one line (like Name:_______) and a date on another line, and a price here, some quantities, some more text descriptions, another few lines of numbers and have stuff add up, or show a percentage based on some of the entries.

I feel like this should be a known task for someone and someone might have made "an app for that" but like I said, I'm blanking on what that'd be called.

Edit: For the iPad, preferable, and able to export the filled form as a pdf would be ideal.

I didn't self-promote this when I made it, but just on the off chance that it happens to be what you want, I made an app (basically just for my fiancé) that might be close to what you want. It allows you to import/set up a list of products and customers, then really quickly construct orders (with quantities and prices) and export as a PDF. Order Book.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Just wanna say creating an app and getting it into the fuggin' app store for your fiancee is some next level boyfriend behavior, grats

Thanks! It was fun to work through the process together, even if it was partly to prove the 1% vs 99% effort split between "I have an idea for an app" and "making an app".

Weedle posted:

Yeah but he also charged her $3 for it

It would've been a lot easier all round for her to just give me the £3, than pay 20% tax and then give 30% of what's left to Apple..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Kalman posted:

Not really sure how Apple could take their 30% of whatever you have left over after tax unless they did your taxes for you. (And if it’s 30% of the store price, you’d rather pay it pre-tax anyway.)

Actually I (the dev) was referring to sales tax rather than income tax.

In the UK, the app is listed on the App Store at £2.99. 20% of that is VAT, leaving £2.39, then 30% of what remains goes to Apple. Meaning my “paycheck” from Apple comes out at £1.67 per £2.99 sale.

If I was doing things by the book I’d then pay income tax on that. But given I’ve sold a total of 6 units amounting to £10, I don’t think I’ll be high on any fraud lists for not bothering.

That’s made me wonder - as you guys in the US are used to seeing shelf prices in shops without tax (and then adding it on at the register), how does the App Store sit with that? Do you actually pay more than the App Store displays (like for physical goods in shops, which is a bizarre concept as a European)? Or does Apple handle it behind the scenes, so you pay the same regardless of where you buy, but the dev just gets a smaller slice if you buy the app in a state that has sales tax on digital goods?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Is there a way to mute notifications from certain apps based on time of day and day of the week? With the assumption I’ll be needing to work from home soon, I might need to get notifications from work on my personal iPhone or iPad, but I’ll be damned if I have that poo poo buzzing me for emails or MS Teams poo poo after 5pm.

There isn't an iOS-wide option like this unfortunately. I don't use them at my current job but I used the iOS Outlook/Teams apps at my previous place, and I feel like they had their own options specifically for this. Worth having a dive through the app-specific settings if you haven't already.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I vaguely remember something a few versions of iOS ago where other apps could make non-destructive changes to photos, similar to the in-built filters.

Can anyone recommend a good app with a bunch of nice looking pre-set photo filters that do non-destructive changes rather than saving a whole new file? I really don't like any of the stock filters ever since they got changed a few years ago.

For it to support the non-destructive changes, I believe it has to be activated from the Photos app -> Edit -> [...] -> app list that pops up, rather than opening whatever app directly and then loading a photo.

I never really use filters so I can't really judge the quality, but Camera+ and Pixelmator both work as you want. I more often use Retouch in this workflow to magic-erase things from photos.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I'd like a way to save web content for reference later, grouped into different projects and (ideally) saving the content as it is at that time, rather than just a URL where the content could change later. This is basically to minimise keeping browser tabs open that I research, find an answer but don't have time to do at that moment.

I'm sure there are a ton of apps/solutions out there for this - e.g. printing to PDF and saving into iBooks would work, but I'm assuming there would be nicer alternatives. I know there's apps like Pocket, but I already use that for longform articles I haven't got around to reading; this is more for saving recipes/tips/todo notes/ideas for various projects I'm working on.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

tuyop posted:

Evernote web clipper is awesome.

Thanks, I completely forgot Evernote existed but it's ideal for what I want.

Dick Nipples posted:

It's pricey but I've used DEVONthink for this workflow for years. There are a few others out there but none that have great iOS support from what I recall.

I took a look at this too but it's probably overkill for my needs - seems thorough though. Thanks!

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

priznat posted:

My saved music library has a very “trapped in amber at a specific time” feel to it.

This perfectly sums up my music habits and I'm happy with it, so I'll be keeping iTunes Match for as long as it's still a thing rather than paying monthly for streaming services.

One of my favourite podcasts (Besties) moved to Spotify, but I'm not keeping a separate app on my phone for one piece of content when all my others live in a proper podcast player. I get that there's funding behind their decision to go to Spotify and I can't blame them, just a shame it's the only option. I would've paid for a Patreon if I could get it in my regular player.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah I initially thought it might be some kind of a holiday break thing but couldn't remember that ever happening before. I haven't changed my region or anything either, I haven't done anything out of the ordinary on the phone since I last got app updates, they just suddenly stopped.

I figure one way to confirm that this is on my end would be for someone to check if they have corresponding "last updated" dates and versions on the same apps, like YouTube (4 weeks ago, v. 15.49.4), WhatsApp (2 weeks ago, v. 2.20.132) and Gmail (1 month ago, v. 60.201115). I don't know if updates are region specific though, I'm in the EU.

Here's your answer.

The Article posted:

As of December 8, Apple requires developers to publish privacy labels for their apps. The last time Google updated any of its iOS apps was the day before.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

priznat posted:

My Reeder 3 app seems to not work anymore, is it just too old? Seems like after the 14.4 update. When I try to open the settings for the link to inoreader it just boots me back to the home screen.

Is there a good newer rss reader these days? Maybe a newer reeder? I looked at upgrading to 4 but there wasn’t really any reason to but maybe on 5 or whatever it is now.

Reeder 3.2.4 still works fine for me on iOS 14.4, iPhone 12 Pro. I'm not 100% sure what you mean about the inoreader part as I use Feedly for the sync, but I can open Settings -> Add Account > Inoreader without it crashing. Not gone further than the email/password prompt though as I don't have an account..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Buff Hardback posted:

$35.88 a year

their licensing trade in deal is either: 50% your sub for 3 years, or if you'd rather pay one time, 150 dollars worth of gift card for 99 dollars. (which gets you ~4 years of subscription for a bit less than paying for 3 years worth).

I think if I've done the math correctly, the 50% deal works out better overall

Have you got a link to this announcement/discussion? I hadn't seen anything about 1Password 8, and looking on their blog the only thing I can find is a post about an early-access version for Windows..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

Can anyone recommend a widget app that will display a different label or block of text depending on the day or time period?

I’m trying to set up a “daily goal” type of thing and having a reminder on the home screen that automatically shows that day’s goal would be aces.

I’ve never tried/had a need for it, but Widgetsmith has plain text widgets and options for overriding widget configs for different hours of the day. You probably have to set up all the goals/prompts within the app rather than pulling data from elsewhere but it might do the trick.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

Yes it is but all browsers on iOS are just wrappers for Safari anyway. It seems to work the same in Safari and FF on my iPhone.

Are you sure it’s actually the extension working, and not maybe something built into Firefox?

I know all browsers are Safari views anyway, but Safari views in other apps don’t get access to the new Safari extensions. I too used Firefox until iOS 15 came out, and switched back to Safari for extension support because it just doesn’t work in Firefox.

To try something more visually obvious I have the Noir extension that restyles all pages to have a dark theme when dark mode is enabled. That 100% doesn’t kick in in Firefox.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

priznat posted:

Any good recommendations for Twitter apps? I have been using the old tweetbot but have gotten annoyed with its limitations like inline video playing not working and polls etc. I am on the tweetbot 6 trial ($8 CAD a year) now but wondering if there is any other similar or better options.

The alternate option is keeping both Tweetbot 5 and 6 (free mode) installed, then hiding 5 from your homescreen. It essentially makes the “easy route” to Twitter read-only, and adds that little bit more friction to posting to make you question whether it’s something that needs saying.

Depends entirely on how you use Twitter, and agreed that £6/year is reasonable, but less social media can be it’s own positive.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I generally prefer Apple Maps for the Watch integration while driving (gentle taps on the wrist at turnings) and overall cleaner UI, but I found a really annoying gripe with it this weekend: It’ll silently change routes and ignore your initial “avoid tolls” choice.

This happened twice in two days - on the outward journey I was sure I’d chosen the toll-free route, then went into autopilot while listening to podcasts and ended up paying £6.50. On the return journey I was more vigilant with the UI choices and it still would’ve sent me the same route (which I definitely didn’t choose this time) if I hadn’t ignored the directions.

It’s a route I know well (from my house to my parents’) so it’s partly my own fault for not paying enough attention, but equally that’s why I set the route in the first place..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

priznat posted:

Vinegar is what I use (safari extension) and it blasts all ads, gives you PIP etc.. it owns.

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/vinegar-tube-cleaner/id1591303229

Dunno what SponsorBlock is but I never see ads!

Vinegar has been playing up for me recently, any time I start a video it pops up a "Playback Settings" dialog where the OK button doesn't dismiss it, completely covering the video. Sure it blocks the ads, but also blocks the video..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

RhoA posted:

Seems like PIP on youtube has been enabled.
[…]
they’re slowly rolling it out for all users now.

I believe this is still ”all users in the USA”.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

As nice as this is I’d be wary of trusting it for anything important. I don’t know anything about the history of this updated Clear build (I used to love the original app) but TestFlight builds expire every 90 days, and if they don’t plan on releasing it officially they’ll probably get bored of refreshing this build every time. At that point your data will be trapped in an app you can’t launch at all, not just “no longer updated” or “maybe buggy”.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Plus while the OP said “with the phone off”, I presume they meant “with the screen off” which would stop anything playing in PiP.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

highme posted:

I pay less than $2 a month for a family YT Premium account from Argentina. Which is by far the best workaround I've seen to getting rid of ads on YouTube.

Slash posted:

Same, but i VPN'd to India to sign up and it comes to ~£1 a month.

I wish I could trust this but far too much of my digital life is tied to my Google account to risk it getting banned. I should try to gradually extricate myself from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Slash posted:

I just happened to be on holiday when i signed up for Youtube Premium.

highme posted:

was trying to get caught up on the Try Guys but all those Spanish language ads were too annoying, so I signed up for premium.

I'm not judging you guys in the slightest (honestly!), but personally I just wouldn't rely on that. If some automated system within the faceless megacorp that all my logins are tied to decided to lock my account because they think it's using an illegitimate billing loophole (whether I went on holiday or not), I wouldn't fancy being locked out of everything until/if it was resolved. People have had their accounts perma-deleted while being innocent before, albeit with an entirely different reasoning.

I admit, part of that's on me for tying so much to a single point of failure, but it makes you want to play by the rules with that account. The alternative is detach all my important stuff from Google but then I'd end up paying for a different email host so the saving on YT Premium becomes smaller anyway..