Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

This poo poo again.

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I wonder how many of our good goon brethren were itching to make all those "filthy casuals ruining mah scob" posts here before we started making fun of them on the ff forums.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Ouhei posted:

I made a marking macro for tanking this morning, and it's a little wonky with some groups but it should do the job nicely. It marks the targeted enemy as 1, then moves to the next, marks it 2, moves to the next and marks 3, then moves back to the first target so I can shield lob that sucker.

I love tanking.

What's the macro?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Here's another recruit-a-friend code. I don't have any friends, so I guess someone on here will have to do.

GP2XTBJ8

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

quote:

This e-mail has been sent to inform you that your friend has successfully used your recruitment code to register a FINAL FANTASY XIV account.

Thanks, friend! I hope you enjoy this game and its puns as much as I have.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Thanks guys, I'll stick to DPSing to both get that sweet story exp and maybe learn some dungeons before I embarrass myself.

Are you on Excal? If so, send me a tell (Coco Crisp), and I'll queue up with you to get you some quick queues.

Edit: Oh, you are on Excalibur. Drop me a line, and I'll make you some sick HQ cotton gear :3:

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I was absolutely prepared to skip through everything in my first run through the Castrum and Praetorium because a little foreknowledge goes a long way. Having a party willing to watch cutscenes is a pretty good reason to stick with a big FC like the goons on Excal, though.

We also run Prae in our underwear to properly shame the final bosses.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 22, 2014

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

The Chairman posted:

I would have to say it depends on your definition of "toxic" here; you're not going to be able to ever completely cloister yourself away from the rest of the server, and the Excalibur goon companies have several hundred people of varying attitudes towards progression and skill, so I'm not going to make any guarantees about how non-toxic your experience will be, because I'm not sure what that exactly means to you

You're so diplomatic, Chairman.

:allears:, and I mean that unironically.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

And those mechanics cut out a big part of what makes healing so useful: helping compensate for party mistakes. If healing is just about memorize this attack pattern and pray your party doesn't get landslided, without an ability to react it becomes dry and mechanical.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

So I just recently hit 50 fisher and an awesome goon (Thanks Flapjack!) Crafted me up a hq version of my fishing gear. My question is where do I go from here gear wise?

I'm excited to do some rare fish fishing, but I have no idea what I should meld. Should I bother upgrading my fishing gear, or just wait until I can afford the forager's set?

E: questions answered in FC.

Kabuki, you play ff14?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Belzac posted:

This is just a reskinned Fracture arguement. It also has the same conclusion.

You're allowed to be lazy but when you defend your laziness as the superior way to play you get ridiculed by people who know better.

When you join a public group (or come into a public forum *ahem*) and try to impose your perfectionism on people who choose to play the game a bit more casually than you, you get ridiculed for being the gooniest of goons.

And I don't even disagree that striving to be the best you can be, even in the context of a catgirl game, is an enjoyable experience.

Edit: And, you know, there's a better way to approach this. One is "If you do this (don't do this), you're terrible and I hope I never have to play with you", and the other is more "If you want to get the most out of your class, here's a way to improve your play." I wish we had a bit less of dismissive attitude and more of the affirmative, socially positive one.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 25, 2014

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Belzac posted:

That isn't even what's happening. People are basking in their skill-less play, getting called out, and then defending it because it's just a game dude, chill out.

Yet you choose the word "skill-less" as though sub-optimal play is the same as randomly mashing buttons. You're the one who sets the poor tone of the discussion when you respond that way. I don't know how you think that's perceived, but it doesn't earn you respect. It just marks you as an rear end in a top hat.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I do! I assume you do as well?

I'm Kabuki Lahey in game.

Yeah, I'm Coco Crisp on Excalibur.

Hit me up and I'll make you a Gundam Vanguard action figure, assuming you don't already have one.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Belzac posted:

I'm actually doing the opposite by saying he's much better than others in the thread by actually explaining why he uses his skills in the way he does. The "you think I'm bad, have you seen low level?" and "it's just dungeons bro" are the rule while he's the exception. To be fair though he did heel turn from "tell me more about min/maxing expert roulette" to "I've actually though it out far enough to decide which fairy is right for what situation in order to maximize my dps" which means he's kinda a poo poo for being just as much as a sperg but trying to hide behind public opinion.

You're getting the responses you do because most of what you post here is insulting shitposting. If you want people to take you seriously and answer you more earnestly, perhaps you should try not insulting people in advance?

Since we're all quoting ourselves:

PhilippAchtel posted:

Edit: And, you know, there's a better way to approach this. One is "If you do this (don't do this), you're terrible and I hope I never have to play with you", and the other is more "If you want to get the most out of your class, here's a way to improve your play." I wish we had a bit less of dismissive attitude and more of the affirmative, socially positive one.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Is this the part in the cycle where we accuse people of being pedophiles?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

I'm 10% done with my second Nexus PLEASE SEND HELP

Aren't you the person talking about how important min/maxing dungeons is because his time is too valuable to be wasted by pubbies who play in anything but an optimal fashion?

L O L

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

bonds0097 posted:

/ac "Physick" <t>
/ac "Ruin" <t>

That will cast Physick if you're targeting a friend, and Ruin if you're targeting a foe. So yes, help/harm is built into the system in a sense.

Healing spells cast while targeting a foe automatically retarget the caster, so you may find this macro casting physick on you instead of ruin on your target. You want ruin first.

But actually you should never macro healing or dps abilities because they cannot be properly chained. Save macros for notifying your party of abilities you use infrequently such as raise.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Yeah, I didn't have any lag issues during the day, but was lagged out and disconnected from a ct2 run this evening. I don't know if it's a SE thing or a Sony thing though.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Or we can just let people buy them with in game currency?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

I managed to sneak a log in to PSN this morning and I have not logged out of ffxiv. I win, screw you PSN.

Yesterday, I was booted out with a message that the game's license could not be verified even though it was presumably verified at launch. :iiam: I've been unable to load the game up since.

This kind of stuff makes me consider building a little gaming PC more and more.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Not even 1.0, jobs didn't come in until 1.21 and it was explicitly just Yoshi-P's team quickly patching over Tanaka's hilariously misguided class system. Jobs are less a vestigial organ and more like a human ear grown on the back of a mouse in a laboratory waiting to be cut off.

I didn't play 1.0. What was bad about the jobless class system?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

The ninja doesn't need to run up, suiton, and pop a blood for blood sneak attack in the first 6 seconds of an encounter is all I'm saying. Yes, I've had shitlords do this while I'm tanking and then yell at me for losing aggro to them. If I'm not in any kind of rush I let them die before getting poo poo under control again.

It never ceases to amaze me how many players are willing to go from zero to non-zero chance of dying or wiping to secure a miniscule decrease in time-to-kill, especially in PUGs. Is there no understanding that if you die or wipe, that 2% increase in overall dps was for absolutely nothing?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Can I link multiple FF14 accounts to one PSN account? My girlfriend plays on PS4 and PC, I play on PC, but I want to get a PS4 license so I can dick around in FF14 on my Vita. I know I need to buy the game again one way or another to do this.

I am 99% certain that the answer is no.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Baby popoto Small Potatoes (tiny female lalafell) is born! Goodbye thread :) We didn't name her small potatoes as originally planned. :magical:

PS: easiest baby to deal with ever thus far: screams, feeds, sleeps, poops at some point imbetween. See you all in a year, ish!

Did she have that tar poo in her first diaper? That was the first big shock when my son was born.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

bear is driving! posted:

ALl of my MMO friends keep talling me I should play this. People are making it out to be the second coming of MMO's. Why is it so good, goons?

Excalibur Christmas 2014: http://youtu.be/Sz4jl077Mhw

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

The PC is almost exclusively wired, and the ps4 is almost exclusively wireless, but I have tried a wired connection on the ps4 before for other things with no difference (actually, I think it was to download files, and there was no speed difference from what already were crippled speeds).

As I understand it, the problem with gaming over the console wi-fi isn't a speed issue, but rather a packet loss issue. Wi-fi - and particularly ps4 and ps3 wi-fi - have a tendency to drop packets far more often than a wired connection. On a large download, this averages out and is hardly noticeable, but for something like online gaming where milliseconds count, it leads to some bad latency issues.

I play on a ps4, and have found this game in particular to be nigh unplayable over wi-fi, while a wired connection makes it run smoothly with very rare latency issues.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Potential name: Al Paella

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Maybe someday, we'll have a pet gambit system to more finely control actions than either "Do exactly as I say," or "Do whatever you want."

Probably not given the database issues they already have though.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

mr face is the gift that keeps on giving

Mr. Face for boss of Alexander raid?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

tvayisnihyaami posted:

can you dual wield weapons as a rogue from level 1?

No, dude. You have to throw stones for, like, two hours until you build up the JP to unlock dual wield. Ninjas do become a much better tank after you've put in that time investment though.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW5DnpidMiY

You people just don't get how amazing and fluid and visceral 1.xx combat was!!

*half the party stands in place touching their forehead while melee DPS attacks from 20m away*

How in the world can people be nostalgic for that over the kinds of primal fights we have now? It's gotta be trolling. No real person could prefer that.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

amusinginquiry posted:

Of course when people in this thread are willfully obtuse about what is valuable and interesting in video game and fight design and think:

I guess trying to have any actual discourse is a waste of time.

Vandes has to defend the hunt system because he dumped however many hours it took to get 500 S rank kills. Otherwise, he might have to admit that was a waste of time.

Hmm, this mentality sounds familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

amusinginquiry posted:

It's almost like things can have both good and bad aspects.

1.0 was a bad game with a few well-executed designs.
2.0 is a good game with a ton of wasted potential.

If I posted screenshots of my catgirl, highlighted the post with jokes about my pal greg and said "fracture" intermittently, would you guys like me?

Why is amusing getting so much hate here? He admits 1.0 was deeply flawed but wants to point out the good things Yoshi-P added after he took over. He's explicitly not saying we should go back to 1.0.

It's a worthwhile and interesting perspective even if you don't agree with it, and a far cry from the irrational stuff people link from the official forums.

The people saying he needs to gently caress off to the official forums are being babies.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 19, 2015

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

I genuinely think the hunts are the best thing they added to this game because I could avoid relying on baddies to get poo poo done and just do a few hunts here and there and be capped. HOPEFULLY they continue to stay relevant by getting buffed for 2.5 so I can not do dungeons with baddies again

Yeah, you're the guy who dumped hours upon hours for an in game achievement but turns around to berate "baddies" for wasting his valuable time in dungeons through suboptimal play.

:bravo:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Feel free to name a better method of getting soldiery and poetics, or seals and all their items, than hunts when you get to the A and S ranks regularly. Only other things that come close would be blitzing T1-5 with a newbie for the soldiery bonus.

What do you mean by "better"? Stones per hour?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

:wtc:

"Immersion" has to be the most overused buzzword in games discussion.

If there's a game breaking bug that causes you to fall through the world, that's a serious immersion issue. My anime avatar doesn't react to situations as I would is not.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Doublestep posted:

450 to 470 on t12 as a monk is around 100 under where you should be unless you don't have a 120 weapon

You're loving up your rotation or you have legacy camera and you're missing auto attacks

This has me wondering as I play on ps4 as well and occasionally play melee dps. If I move diagonally from the rear to the flank and then use an ability, my character will face the mob and presumably continue auto attacking.

However, in those 2.5 seconds, what are the chances I miss an auto attack if I don't perfectly time that ability use? Should I be manually facing the mob every time I switch positions just in case?

I'm not sure which camera style I use, and can't check it now :downs: but this does interest me for the times I do melee dps.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

I don't do coils yet, but I strafe left / right and drag camera left / right when I need to run backwards. It works pretty well and gets me out of aoes quick enough. It's basically the same as above, but turning camera 90 degrees while strafing instead of 180 then forward seems to be a quicker reaction for me. This might be bad advice.

This is the kind of stuff you have to do with standard controls? Seems a lot less intuitive than legacy controls for sure. Maybe it makes more sense with mouse and keyboard.

Perhaps if there was an option to have auto attack change facing like abilities, though that would mess with people during things like blighted bouquet.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

Simultaneously pressing a key and moving the mouse is pretty standard for most PC games, especially MMOs where movement and positions require you to move around a lot. To clarify: you use the mouse to steer. Strafing left / right gets you moving in a direction relative to how you steer your camera. But yes, I mean for keyboard and mouse. I have no idea how the controller camera + movement works so my method of moving 'backwards' probably makes no sense to that layout.

I mean, sure, I've played first person shooters and even WoW on PC, so I understand keyboard and mouse movement, but more the "I need to move backwards, so the best way to do that is to strafe away."

That said, I never played those games at a particularly high level anyway, so maybe strafing to avoid backpedaling was a thing in those games as well.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

So at the risk of opening a can of worms, how do high level melee dps who use a controller prefer to have their control settings?

If you move diagonally alongside or circle around a target with legacy controls on, will your auto attacks still land as the target is on your flank rather than behind you?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

This new "gentleman" pose is scary, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I can't sub until next thursday so could some of you post pictures of your cat people, not quite sure if I want to be a girl or boy. I need to think of a good name too..

We already have a feral cat problem. Please don't contribute to it.

Instead consider joining the one true race: Lalafell.

• Locked thread